To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Children in Need

A forum for general discussion on subjects and topics that do not fit anywhere else.

paisleypark
Grumpy Old Man

Children in Need

Post by paisleypark »

Am I the only person on FISO who will be going out deliberately on Friday night in order to avoid Terry wink and the dreadful waste of licence payers money donated to Children in Need.

The cause may be worthy but I detest the frenzy of raising money as a gameshow. The incessant need to plead with viewers to phone up and donate money because some sad has been makes an idiot of themselves on national tv.

eff me if the country needs £20m to help educate some kids who have been let down by their parents and the state then maybe we should be prepared to fund schools to educate the parents and their off springs or channel the tax payers money into the NHS.

Just gets me that every eff year minor celebs show their collective arses and the dumb viewer stumps up money....... :evil: :twisted: :twisted:

el_pappje
FISO Comedy Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 11 & 16; OFL Golf 4th 09; TFG OFL Overall, Majors, F1oG Winner 09

Re: Children in Need

Post by el_pappje »

Terry Wogan is a legend. For that I'll forgive him anything.

pa102aw
Fiso Knight Templar
FS Record: Too many to mention now :-)

Post by pa102aw »

When I saw the topic title I thought that you were out to raise money PP. :D

Razorback
FISO Knight
FS Record: 8th overall TFF 06/07, TFF25s & FISO Super League Champion 06/07, FISO Euro 2008 Predictions League Champion, 2nd overall Sky FF 08/09, 263rd overall FPL 08/09, Block Party Super League Champion 10/11 & 44th overall TFF 11/12

Post by Razorback »

Get a freeview/sky+/v+ box & 'Children In Need' will no longer represent a televisual headache :wink: ...

barry
FISO Knight

Post by barry »

Friday night is copy-edit-correct spelling-paste-email-pm-post-copy-edit-post-pm-email-facebook-post night for me so I'll be missing it!

paisleypark
Grumpy Old Man

Post by paisleypark »

Tempted to donate in ASDA today but just managed to resist. Can I stay away from TV all night?

pa102aw
Fiso Knight Templar
FS Record: Too many to mention now :-)

Post by pa102aw »

I was waylaid in Spar today. I didn't stand a chance, they came in out of the sun and it was a pincer movement. Before I knew where I was they had me against the wall with the bucket under my nose. They weren't to clever all the same, I quickly wrote out a cheque and made it payable to "Pudsy Bear" :D

Tricky Tree
FISO Knight

Post by Tricky Tree »

pa102aw wrote:I was waylaid in Spar today. I didn't stand a chance, they came in out of the sun and it was a pincer movement. Before I knew where I was they had me against the wall with the bucket under my nose. They weren't to clever all the same, I quickly wrote out a cheque and made it payable to "Pudsy Bear" :D
punts-t58981.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tut tut

Jonathan
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: ^ That's my dad! ^ KGC Captain's Drive-in 2015 Champ
FS Record: OFL Champions League Sprint finalist 10/11

Post by Jonathan »

paisleypark wrote:Tempted to donate in today but just managed to resist. Can I stay away from TV all night?
You better hope that you or anyone close to you are never in the situation to need charity then, paisley. Fact of life without these charity days, people would be suffering more than they already are.

Also, it isn't just about kids who have been let down by their parents, but charities who help make disabled or terminally ill children more comfortable in their lives - including children who have lost parents due to illness or accidents. Have a heart! If you can't give up one night of slouching in front of the TV to allow some good to come out of TV other than lining Simon Cowell's pockets, then there is something wrong with you!

Fortunately, the fact that they beat all previous years' totals last year, right in the middle of the financial crisis, means you are very much in the minority.

paisleypark
Grumpy Old Man

Post by paisleypark »

I don't object to charities - far from it - I donate quite generously to many children's charities but don't want to expand too much on that.

My gripe is the BBC and Wogan (who used to be paid for hosting CIN) so I rest my case and refer back to my first post. It just bugs me.......not sure why!

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

paisleypark wrote:I don't object to charities - far from it - I donate quite generously to many children's charities but don't want to expand too much on that.
Does a lodda work for charadee, doesn't like to talk about it much .................

Is that you Nicey? Or are you Smashy? :wink:

Jonathan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Jonathan »

paisleypark wrote:I don't object to charities - far from it - I donate quite generously to many children's charities but don't want to expand too much on that.

My gripe is the BBC and Wogan (who used to be paid for hosting CIN) so I rest my case and refer back to my first post. It just bugs me.......not sure why!
The very reason they can raise millions of pounds is because it is on the BBC. Not much point sticking it on ITV4 is there? Wogan is paid about £9,000 for hosting the show directly from the BBC, not the charity, but it has to be said he could and should have turned around and written a cheque for exactly that amount each year. Agreed with you there.

paisleypark
Grumpy Old Man

Post by paisleypark »

Groomyard Why don't you just put your teddy bear outfit on and get back to your Arsenal postings.
This is not an invitation for you to respond by the way.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

As usual I'll Sky+ it, fast forward through the dull bits (inc the appeals and sob stories) and not donate a penny.

Like smashey, nicey and paisley, I do my bit as I choose to and not because Tel and whoever has a new album/book/series to whore tell me to.

Shaggy365
Dumbledore

Post by Shaggy365 »

I'll probably watch the late bit, just to see the BBC News team routine. :wink:

chandler
Grumpy Old Man

Post by chandler »

Impressive... wait, exciting performance from Cheryl...

PNE4PREM
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Improving season on season

Post by PNE4PREM »

Jonathan wrote:

The very reason they can raise millions of pounds is because it is on the BBC. Not much point sticking it on ITV4 is there? Wogan is paid about £9,000 for hosting the show directly from the BBC, not the charity, but it has to be said he could and should have turned around and written a cheque for exactly that amount each year. Agreed with you there.

Wasn't aware he was actaully poaid for hosting the show tbh..

By the way another 3 (Loan) prem players in our team for tomorrow..Good job we've got Alex to fall back on :D :D

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

I hate the way these so called stars try to make us believe they are doing it all for free.
Bollocks they are the expense fiddling con artists.

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore
FS Record: Fiso Cricket - The Limited Overs Game winner 2014

Post by foxinthebox2001 »

Children in need upon us again. This must mean yet another Annie Lennox greatest hits cd is on the way.

MarquisMark
Grumpy Old Man

Post by MarquisMark »

:wink:

paisleypark
Grumpy Old Man

Post by paisleypark »

Brilliant - that just about sums me up tonight.
I am not normally such a grumpy old man about good causes - just CIN night on BBC.
I'll get over it......eventually

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore

The fund raising charity extravaganza must be getting close, Annie has a new album out.
Check out on the night who is A) active on the show, and B) got something to sell.
Works every year for her.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sted
Dumbledore
Location: Outside, fighting 3 big fellas and drinking beer at the same time.

Post by sted »

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

sted wrote:Nostalgia ain't what it used to be
Nor is Annie's voice :( if I remember last year's show

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore

I know I am leaving myself open to ridicule here, but I saw an 'Annie Lennox' tribute act at a Butlins 80's weekend in Bognor a couple of years ago.
She was not only better than Annie is now, but better than her back in the days when Annie didn't need charity tv nights to sell her albums.

paisleypark
Grumpy Old Man

Post by paisleypark »

FFS don't get me started about Children in need again - it's 4 years since I started this thread and I haven't changed my opinion.

I don't object to charities - I just can't stand the way the BBC (and now others) do it.

Others include Davinia McCall who is a really gutsy person but she just makes me cringe when she presents on TV!

I am supposed to be keeping calm as my blood pressure is 170/102 (appointment booked) but this hasn't helped.

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore

Susan Boyle sings Pink Floyd.....
I think I will flick back to the football.

paisleypark
Grumpy Old Man

Post by paisleypark »

Wogan got a hammering on twitter for his performance last night - wonder if he still gets paid for doing it?

Jonathan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Jonathan »

foxinthebox2001 wrote:Susan Boyle sings Pink Floyd.....
I think I will flick back to the football.
As somebody who had no idea it was a Pink Floyd tune, that was a highlight for me.

paisleypark
Grumpy Old Man

Post by paisleypark »

That is like not knowing England won the world cup in 1966 :roll:

Then again because she sang it I suppose it might not be instantly recognised. She has a got a track record as her Stones cover was unexpected as well a few years ago.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Stuff (That Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else!)”