To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Modern life is rubbish - the evidence thread

A forum for general discussion on subjects and topics that do not fit anywhere else.

Billy Whiz
Rhubarb Crumbledore

Re: Modern life is rubbish - the evidence thread

Post by Billy Whiz »

Zimmerman wrote: 10 Feb 2018, 08:15 Must be a piece of *^%# being a journalist nowadays; spend your day scanning Facebook, find something mildly interesting or misleading, republish it with your own headline (or nick theirs).

It works the other way round, too. Spend days, sometimes weeks, investigating a story, your paper publishes it, then watch it being regurgitated, uncredited of course, across Facebook, Twitter and scores of so-called "news" sites as if it was their own story. Eventually the MSM - most of which put, or used to put until Google swallowed up its advertising revenue, huge resources into news gathering, reporting and corroborating - will collapse from lack of funds, leaving internet aggregators nowhere to steal their news from (other than from the BBC - but people will soon get tired of that, since most of its news is based on government issues, press releases and foreign news).

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

Lollipop lady taking autistic children across the road encourages them to dally in the road and holds up traffic unnecessarily. Is asked to stop.

Seems right to me?

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

hancockjr wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 15:28
Lollipop lady taking autistic children across the road encourages them to dally in the road and holds up traffic unnecessarily. Is asked to stop.

Seems right to me?
High fiving is hardly dallying and it encourages crossing in the right, safe, place.

Anyway, common sense prevailed, and he has been allowed to continue.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

murf wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 16:53
hancockjr wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 15:28

Seems right to me?
High fiving is hardly dallying and it encourages crossing in the right, safe, place.

Anyway, common sense prevailed, and he has been allowed to continue.
You'd think someone at some point would turn around and ask if it's really doing any harm? No doubt the people who complained are probably the same sort of people that pipe up about ambulances parking in their drive.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Or being really cynical “what’s an old man doing touching my kid” ?

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Tacalabala wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 17:32 ...... the same sort of people that pipe up about ambulances parking in their drive.
The woman complaining about one in the road got a £120 fine + victim surcharge + costs = £285 yesterday (one for the modern life is quite good sometimes thread)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-st ... e-43130355

There was also one a few months ago that did this:

(the second one didn't go to court as far as I know - maybe because they correctly used an apostrophe unlike the first one (wonder if the fine took that into account?). Also dodgy spelling of 'collapsed' on first one but, surprisingly, generally both reasonably well written - if you ignore the bizarre coincidence of both calling an ambulance a 'van'.....)

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Zimmerman wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 17:53 Or being really cynical “what’s an old man doing touching my kid” ?
Or being really pedantic the old man is grooming them by offering up his hand and the kid is touching him with the high five.

RomynPG
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 134 overall 06/07 ... never close since

Post by RomynPG »

Superintendent Says Students Are Armed with Rocks In Case of a School Shooting

“Every classroom has been equipped with a five-gallon bucket of river stone. If an armed intruder attempts to gain entrance into any of our classrooms, they will face a classroom full students armed with rocks and they will be stoned,” said Dr. David Helsel.

Ehh, all right. Two points, ah, two flats, and a packet of gravel.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

RomynPG wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 17:51 Superintendent Says Students Are Armed with Rocks In Case of a School Shooting

“Every classroom has been equipped with a five-gallon bucket of river stone. If an armed intruder attempts to gain entrance into any of our classrooms, they will face a classroom full students armed with rocks and they will be stoned,” said Dr. David Helsel.

Ehh, all right. Two points, ah, two flats, and a packet of gravel.
Lost for words.....

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

'Accidentally' dyes eyebrow black, becomes a model

It's not illiberal to say you just look ridiculous, please shave.

RomynPG
Dumbledore

Post by RomynPG »

It's Memorial Day in the US today - their equivalent of Remembrance Sunday over here I believe - so a quick pop quiz question...

The two tweets below were posted today by the current POTUS (45) and the previous one (44) - can you guess which was by who?

"We can never truly repay the debt we owe our fallen heroes. But we can remember them, honor their sacrifice, and affirm in our own lives those enduring ideals of justice, equality, and opportunity for which generations of Americans have given that last full measure of devotion. "

and

"Happy Memorial Day! Those who died for our great country would be very happy and proud at how well our country is doing today. Best economy in decades, lowest unemployment numbers for Blacks and Hispanics EVER (& women in 18years), rebuilding our Military and so much more. Nice!"

... no cheating now :wink:

bloggie
Dumbledore
Location: Tourists swarm to see your face Confucius has a puzzling grace Disoriented you enter in unleashing

Post by bloggie »

The second one sounds like Trump's rhetoric.

Ralfbergs
FISO Knight
FS Record: Murfs Premiership Predictions Knockout Cup 13/14 Winner

Post by Ralfbergs »

bloggie wrote: 29 May 2018, 03:57 The second one sounds like Trump's rhetoric.
I think it was quite easy to guess. I do not follow Trump on twitter, but I watch shows like Last Week Tonight where all what I hear from Trump are such rhetoric.

This is from Trump from 2015 though:

''I would like to wish everyone, including all haters and losers (of which, sadly, there are many) a truly happy and enjoyable Memorial Day!''

He likes to either brag about himself often or to put down others in his tweets.

Billy Whiz
Rhubarb Crumbledore

Post by Billy Whiz »

RomynPG wrote: 28 May 2018, 22:54 It's Memorial Day in the US today - their equivalent of Remembrance Sunday over here I believe - so a quick pop quiz question...

The two tweets below were posted today by the current POTUS (45) and the previous one (44) - can you guess which was by who?

"We can never truly repay the debt we owe our fallen heroes. But we can remember them, honor their sacrifice, and affirm in our own lives those enduring ideals of justice, equality, and opportunity for which generations of Americans have given that last full measure of devotion. "

and

"Happy Memorial Day! Those who died for our great country would be very happy and proud at how well our country is doing today. Best economy in decades, lowest unemployment numbers for Blacks and Hispanics EVER (& women in 18years), rebuilding our Military and so much more. Nice!"

... no cheating now :wink:

The main difference could be that the second one was actually written by the President (Trump, obviously), whereas the first one was probably written by Barack Obama's Twitter account editor.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

At least Obama has the common sense to let a pro do it!

RomynPG
Dumbledore

Post by RomynPG »

Build-A-Bear 'pay your age' offer abandoned amid 'chaos'

Too many :lol: & :roll: in the article but a couple of my favourites...

Amanda Bailey, 42, from Mickleover, Derbyshire, started queuing outside the Derby shop with her two daughters, aged two and five, at 09:10 and did not get inside until 12:40.
"I thought I would give the queue an hour and then you get sucked in," she said.
"Once inside it took a further two hours to get her bears because of the "stuffing counter queues".
She said although she saved quite a bit on the cost of the £21.50 she bought for both children, she added: "When I look back I will probably think, 'what have I done that for?', especially with what I will end up paying for parking."

A mother in Milton Keynes said she had taken her five-year-old daughter out of school to ensure they could get in the queue for a discounted bear.
"She's only five, they're not really doing much in school that's important at that age," she said.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

To be fair I've been to Mickleover, there isn't a lot to do :)

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-44805960

:? :lol: :? :?:

Don't quite know where to put this.

PS "A tattoo is for life"

RomynPG
Dumbledore

Post by RomynPG »

(For some reason) I'm watching Channel 5 - Heatwave: Scorched Britain

Probably the worst "news" program I've seen for a long time.

Someone please put Ch5 out of it's misery

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Ruud Gullit is 56 today (he's at Monza watching the Italian GP practice).

Makes you feel old (hence putting it here). Tempus Fugit and all that. OK, I'm a fair bit younger than him but probably still worse at football. My mates did used to compare me to him on the pitch. Ruud was a short lived nickname. I chose to think they weren't taking the piss......

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

murf wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 11:29 Ruud Gullit is 56 today (he's at Monza watching the Italian GP practice).

Makes you feel old (hence putting it here). Tempus Fugit and all that. OK, I'm a fair bit younger than him but probably still worse at football. My mates did used to compare me to him on the pitch. Ruud was a short lived nickname. I chose to think they weren't taking the piss......
All I hear in my head when I think of Ruud is "sex-she voetball".

bloggie
Dumbledore
Location: Tourists swarm to see your face Confucius has a puzzling grace Disoriented you enter in unleashing

Post by bloggie »

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

RomynPG wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 21:57 (For some reason) I'm watching Channel 5 - Heatwave: Scorched Britain

Channel 5 showing Christmas movies today. It’s the first weekend of November FFS...

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 18:09
RomynPG wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 21:57 (For some reason) I'm watching Channel 5 - Heatwave: Scorched Britain

Channel 5 showing Christmas movies today. It’s the first weekend of November FFS...
Shouldn't they be showing stuff burning Catholic Effigies? :?

When you can't even try to beat up a bus driver without him losing it (ie bus on bridge....)

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 18:15

Not sure there’s too many Bonfire Night movies (not Yankocentric enough?) Presumably BBC still own the rights to the mini series with Jon Snow playing his real-life gunpowder plotting ancestor...

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 18:59

Not sure there’s too many Bonfire Night movies (not Yankocentric enough?) Presumably BBC still own the rights to the mini series with Jon Snow playing his real-life gunpowder plotting ancestor...
Was it him or his annoying sprog?

Well, they could show more Halllow'een shite (Is that All Saints Eve?).

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 19:05

The fictional Jon Snow, aka Kit Harington... 😉

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 19:12
blahblah wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 19:05

The fictional Jon Snow, aka Kit Harington... 😉
Whoops, not the son who is trashing BBC4 History stuff.

But who watches CH5 anyway? :shock:

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Anyway, in terms of the real-life Snows, Dan is Peter’s son, Jon is a cousin/uncle or something...

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 19:18 Anyway, in terms of the real-life Snows, Dan is Peter’s son, Jon is a cousin/uncle or something...
Sounds right, yes and the kid likes being all butch :wink:

Elder 2 are cousins.

Btw we need a CoT emoji type thing for us ignorant people :wink:

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Stuff (That Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else!)”