To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Should we legalise Cannabis ?

A forum for general discussion on subjects and topics that do not fit anywhere else.

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Should we legalise Cannabis ?

Post by bluenosey »

So, Canada takes the plunge and follows Uruguay and several US States in legalising "pot" in the developed world.

This gives the Canadian authorities the chance to control and tax the drug supply, thus taking away the unwanted trade of the drug dealers. Taxing cannabis will no doubt raise a fair few million for the Canadian revenue authorities.

Will there be a downside cost ? People off their rocker driving cars and causing multiple incidents ? People crashed out like zombies in your local town centre (a la Spice) ? Could it pave the way for people to use more dangerous drugs ?

We all know that cannabis can be very handy medicinally. Queen Victoria used it, after all. An occasional toke never harmed anyone IMO. It's a great benefit to people in pain. Plus, no-one is gonna glass you after a joint, much more 8 pints. But that super-skunk stuff could send you schizo by the time you are 30. And the stink of the stuff, hmmm :?

Tricky one.....

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Re: Should we legalise Cannabis ?

Post by murf »

Easy. See what happens in Canada then have a rethink!

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

It would raise billions in tax.
Is there likely to be a massive shift in people smoking it? Not everyone in Amsterdam is a pot head.

Just like not everyone likes alcohol or likes real ale or whatever.

I can’t see the downside.

Yes, a lot of the skunk stuff nowadays is very potent and there are links to schizophrenia (but I think it’s more a case of if you’re predisposed to it, it will help you on your way (rather than being the route cause). But if you like getting stoned your probably already doing so anyway. And at least by legalising it, it should be regulated and grown under control and not sprayed or laced with something (no idea if skunk is, but I dare say if they can spray something on it to make it seem stronger for cheaper/quicker then someone will be).

As for it resulting in streets laden with spice-esque casualties... I doubt it. At worst there will be people rolling around giggling or dribbling food on themselves.

California - a state with 40m people had sales of $2.75bn (not to mention the money saved by Not wasting resources in trying police it’s illegal status).

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

I think all recreational drugs should be legalised. At the moment drug usage is being regulated by criminals and gangsters.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Indeed. People are going to do it regardless.

So let people choose (and educate them about the risks) like electricity or walking on frozen ponds or drinking Pernod through your eye.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Zimmerman wrote: 17 Oct 2018, 20:02 drinking Pernod through your eye.
Hmm, I haven't tried that one :idea: :idea: :idea:

Should have been done years ago, so all the stuff is properly made ie no Jiff or whatever it is called is cut in to white powders and some Silk Cut Mild equivalent for spliffs.

llama
Grumpy Old Man

Post by llama »

Absolutely it should be legalised. As should all other recreational drugs. The war on drugs has been lost and should never have been waged. Criminalising drug users just doesn't work. People should be educated about drugs, not lied to. Billions and billions of tax payers money has been spent on prosecuting drug users worldwide. What's worse for you, taking drugs or being sent to prison? It's absurd.

There are zero downsides to cannabis legalisation as far as I can see. Tax the absolute hell out of it (it would still be cheap) and you can save the NHS overnight. Currently all that money is in the hands of criminal gangs.

Do it tomorrow! Why wait. It's inevitable.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Stuff (That Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else!)”