To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

New money

A forum for general discussion on subjects and topics that do not fit anywhere else.

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

New money

Post by morganb »

So, what does everyone think of the new £5 note then?

They're smaller, quite pristine at the moment and have lots of intricate patterns, shiny bits and a see-through window.

I was surprised by the number of people at work who hadn't seen one, as when I mentioned I had one in my wallet I had to get it out and it got passed around the office!

It is also amazing the price they are reportedly selling for on eBay. I wonder if the last of the old-style fivers will be worth as much?

Also there's a new £1 coin due out soon. Looks a bit like a thre'penny bit (which caused some merriment as this is also apparently Cockney rhyming slang for something else).

What do make of all this new UK currency and/or what's the money like where you live?

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Re: New money

Post by murf »

First batch is worth more to collectors apparently. Not seen one and probably won't for a while as I use proper plastic and cash only comes in 10s and 20s from holes in the wall (and I don't get out much!).

And aren't you supposed to give your first to charadee....

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

I think they're wonderful. Had one the other day and managed to swap it in a shop for a sandwich, a bag of crisps, a bottle of coke and some shiny metal discs. Not sure how I've survived up to now without them.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

buu1333
Grumpy Old Man

Post by buu1333 »

I like the smooth feel of it. nice and smooth. I don't like the feel of paper. kindle got me in to books.

buu1333
Grumpy Old Man

Post by buu1333 »

PS I'm not being sarcastic

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Old pounds coins need to be used in next few days while they are legal.

I had one left so I decided to be radical and buy a scratchcard with it (not something I would normally do) and, guess what..... I won!!!..... £1.

I can now trade the scratchard for a shiny new two-colour pound coin. :D

Modern life is quite good sometimes!

Leo Messy
Cheetah
FS Record: Fair to middling

Post by Leo Messy »

I like money, well I like having it but not keen on these new notes at all. Just got a batch ofthe new tenners, same as the fivers, dont like the look or feel.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

The new tenners and fivers are so lovely I can hardly bear to spend them. :)

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Post by morganb »

Ask yourself:
  • Do you love money?

Do you love football?
Then we need Harry Maguire riding an inflatable unicorn on the new £50 note:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45886746

Other nominees:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/ ... 578be87f7a

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Can't remember the last time I saw a £50 note!

Might have to save up and get one if they have Harry Maguire on an inflatable unicorn on them. Frame and hang that one. Cheaper than a Banksy and, being plastic, less liable to fraying at the bottom

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

I have never, ever seen a £50 note in real life (apart from Mike Ashley handing them over :? )

I heard a suggestion that Mary Seacole should be the face of the "new" note and I thought it was a really good idea.

I can't imagine too many people would be keen accepting them....

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

They should put the Kray Brothers on it, given what most of them are used for.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

unc.si. wrote:They should put the Kray Brothers on it, given what most of them are used for.
Buying presents for your Mum?

morganb
FISO Knight

Post by morganb »

unc.si. wrote: 17 Oct 2018, 13:46 They should put the Kray Brothers on it, given what most of them are used for.
I'd rather see the Chuckle Brothers, it would be a fitting tribute to the late Barry

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

morganb wrote:
unc.si. wrote: 17 Oct 2018, 13:46 They should put the Kray Brothers on it, given what most of them are used for.
I'd rather see the Chuckle Brothers, it would be a fitting tribute to the late Barry
Would be harder to track the notes in multiple money laundering deals then as the cash transferred from me to you to me to you.....

morganb
FISO Knight

Post by morganb »

Sadly for Maguire, it seems unlikely that the centre-back will feature on the note - the Bank of England states that it avoids "fictional characters, or people who are still living (except the monarch on the front of the note)".
So, Barry Chuckle it is then! Or Chas (without Dave) or Geoffrey (without Bungle, who I assume is still with us)

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

morganb wrote: 19 Oct 2018, 12:20(without Bungle, who I assume is still with us)
Bungle lives but Zippy and George are dead. Now George would look great on a note!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Skelton

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Stuff (That Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else!)”