To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Are you religious?

A forum for general discussion on subjects and topics that do not fit anywhere else.

Are you religious

Absolutely. I live my life by the book (whichever book applies to my faith) and attend place of worship regularly
10%
I am, but only occasionally pray and/or attend place of worship
4%
I say I am, but I don't take the book literally and rarely attend place of worship but occasionally
5%
I say I am, but it has no influence on my life at all
2%
I'm ambivalent about it all, doesn't bother me either way
7%
I'm not, but not bothered religion exists
11%
I'm not, and religion should be abolished
12%
I'm not, I don't mind that people have faith and its useful to them... But religion should have no place in politics, news or education
50%

Total votes: 110

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Are you religious?

Post by Zimmerman »

Like it says... Where do you stand?

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Re: Are you religious?

Post by Spinynorman »

I voted for I'm not, and religion should be abolished although really I'm somewhere between the last two options as I wouldn't make it illegal or anything like that.

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

Voted for the last option but really it's more about what people force onto others (including their kids). I don't mind others being religious but don't make that affect others.

stevejtr
Grumpy Old Cereal Killer
FS Record: I always liked the old Tele FA Cup competition...

Post by stevejtr »

hancockjr wrote:Voted for the last option but really it's more about what people force onto others (including their kids). I don't mind others being religious but don't make that affect others.
Indoctrination. Gotta catch 'em young...

I voted for the last option too. That said, I write regularly to an octogenarian catholic nun who was most helpful when my uncle died a few years ago. Planning on visiting her in May if possible

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Spinynorman wrote:I voted for I'm not, and religion should be abolished although really I'm somewhere between the last two options as I wouldn't make it illegal or anything like that.
How can it be abolished and not be illegal?

The last option sums up my view quite well tbh.

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Post by Beerfuelledman »

Define "Religious". I always thought of the religious like the "Pharisees" - i.e those who refuse to drink alcohol even though Jesus turned Water into wine at a Wedding.

nffc
Grumpy Old Man

Post by nffc »

I have never been religious. I used to think that as long as they don't force their beliefs on me then fine. But after reading Dawkins books it may have changed my opinion, or more likely reinforced my beliefs that are opposite of the PC version. I am now of the view that religion is harmful and does more damage than good.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

When they ask me for my religion at hospital I always say a football team. Obviously it's best to say the team that you think the doctor will support.

sted
Dumbledore
Location: Outside, fighting 3 big fellas and drinking beer at the same time.

Post by sted »

Depends what you mean by religious. If you mean do I follow a religion, then no. However, I do believe in God.

Religion is man made, and because of that, it serves man. It has been used throughout history to subjugate and persecute mankind and deservedly gets a bad press.

It is a matter of geography more often than not which religion you belong to, and for that reason, nobody should be judged purely by what side you support. Somebody once said that if god is a mountain, the different religions could be likened to villages dotted around it's base. All looking at the same mountain, but seeing it from different viewpoints.

If you were to press me, I'd say I believe in an Abrahamic god. One god. That's what binds the Jews, Christians and Muslims together. I don't go to church because I'm not a Christian, a mosque because I'm not a Muslim, or a synagogue because I'm not a Jew. I think of god as my father and do not expect him to be 'that' happy with my drinking, gambling, swearing and general carrying on, but hey, he's my dad and I wouldn't disown any of my kids just because of their lifestyle.

I'm a scientist by trade, and therefore know quite a bit about evolution, and I think it's shameful that people try to deny it. However, I have read quite a bit about big bang theories and you know what? It's a massive step to equate the two. It's just as plausible (obviously more so to me) to believe in divine creation and an afterlife.

I might be wrong, and most certainly am in a lot of my thinking. But believe me, I've thought about it a lot. I'm happy with it at the moment, but also worried in case I've got it all arse about tit.

To pigeonhole me, I guess you'd say I was a sort of Universalist. Pastor Google will explain more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universalism" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mystery
FISO Knight
FS Record: 116th in TFF 05/06

Post by Mystery »

Very interesting and well explained post.

Now would you let Sted back to the keyboard to post some drivel :-)

sted
Dumbledore
Location: Outside, fighting 3 big fellas and drinking beer at the same time.

Post by sted »

Mystery wrote:Very interesting and well explained post.

Now would you let Sted back to the keyboard to post some drivel :-)
Shalom my virtual friend :wink:

tclist
Grumpy Old Man

Post by tclist »

Couldn't cast a vote, no option for me.

Atheist but respect the right for those who wish to follow 'their' god.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

I'm not, but not bothered religion exists?

tclist
Grumpy Old Man

Post by tclist »

Zimmerman wrote:I'm not, but not bothered religion exists?
It comes across wrong to me Zim.

I am bothered if those who do believe are being ridiculed etc. that bothers me.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Yep fair point. Think I'm the same.... The last option is/was for me.

I totally accept people who have/need their faith.
In principle religions are good, they tend to have good values and morales. So I totally accept and respect people having religion. It also gives people 'strength' etc.

If we all lived by that code, the world would be a better place.

I just don't like how it is still held up as a beacon that we're all supposed to follow despite the majority of us not being religious.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

I think the last option is the best fit for me. Each to their own and religion has, over the centuries, kept a lot of people 'good' and a lesser number have acted badly in its name.

You could, of course, call that control of the masses by the authorities, once the leaders of most countries twigged it was sensible to control the church rather than fight it (the Romans being a prime example). The UK is now maybe one of only a few countries where it no longer really applies.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Apart from the 100+ bishops who sit in the house of lords and help pass laws that affect us all.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Zimmerman wrote:Apart from the 100+ bishops who sit in the house of lords and help pass laws that affect us all.
All power is overall slowly being eroded though. No mainstream political party would dare spout religion or be shown to be influenced by it.....

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

It is probably due to the historical religious wars that Europe (inc these Isles) suffered from, unlike America which is why it is compulsory over there?

tclist
Grumpy Old Man

Post by tclist »

murf wrote:
Zimmerman wrote:Apart from the 100+ bishops who sit in the house of lords and help pass laws that affect us all.
All power is overall slowly being eroded though. No mainstream political party would dare spout religion or be shown to be influenced by it.....
Apart from Tony Blair who felt gods hand on his shoulder :mrgreen:, despite his fellow Iraq war conspirator Campbell insisting "We dont do God", they weren't to hot on truth either. :lol:

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Religion isn't really the problem. The problem is those who hijack religion for their own ends and those who hate all those from another religion because of the behaviour of a few.

Bunners
Dumbledore

Post by Bunners »

Surprised wrote:Religion isn't really the problem. The problem is those who hijack religion for their own ends and those who hate all those from another religion because of the behaviour of a few.
TBF those who knocked on my door yesterday morning at 9.30am just as id got my 12 week old down WERE the problem :wink:

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Wierd. I got asked at my door by some godbods, if I was deaf. :shock: At least they should have written the question down, plonkers. It was at this point I realised they were the Smith brigade. I've decided I'm going to buy myself a pair of glasses and stick some pyramids on them. That'll freak them. It might even challenge the core of their religion.

Dennisthemenace
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Dennisthemenace »

jimmy ching wrote:Wierd. I got asked at my door by some godbods, if I was deaf.
Did you answer...... "Pardon?"

:)

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Yes. I did hear it first time but it was not a question I expected, so I said pardon. :lol:

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

I understood yer Dennis.

Edmondson
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Dreamteam Mini Leagues also ran :(

Post by Edmondson »

Zimmerman wrote:Yep fair point. Think I'm the same.... The last option is/was for me.

In principle religions are good, they tend to have good values and morales. So I totally accept and respect people having religion. It also gives people 'strength' etc.

I just don't like how it is still held up as a beacon that we're all supposed to follow despite the majority of us not being religious.

I understand the "accept" certainly for the reasons you allude to (giving strength, sound morals etc)

However on the "respect" is this not tricky when their beliefs you would describe as "at best the ramblings of superstitious shepherds".

I think in reality the topic of religion is rarely discussed amongst friends. I'm sure most of us have a full range of friends with different beliefs that tick all the options above. However is it any different to finding out your adult friend genuinely believed in Father Christmas? Do we all just think, best not to go there, appreciating it can be a sensitive area, one that people have grown up with from their family etc. As opposed to challenging anyone with religious beliefs and thinking they must be some kind of lunatic, believing in all that mumbo jumbo.

I guess one factor is that elements of religion creep into all our lives (unless we make special effort to avoid) like going to weddings / christening in church, celebrating Xmas etc.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Edmondson wrote:I guess one factor is that elements of religion creep into all our lives (unless we make special effort to avoid) like going to weddings / christening in church, celebrating Xmas etc.
A tricky tangent...

I believe in marriage and xmas etc as great British traditions that I happily celebrate despite being a devout atheist. Church weddings are a bit iffy though for atheists and (arguably) agnostics - I got married in a registry office but would have had a church wedding if Mrs m (a non-attending catholic) had wanted to.

For some reasons I find the seeming increase in big church christenings far more hypocritical, even for those who would mumble they are christians but haven't stepped in a church since the last wedding / funeral /christening they were invited to. It all seems about showing off rather than anything even slightly religious (could say the same about weddings...)

arsene doesn't know
Grumpy Old Man

Are you religious?

Post by arsene doesn't know »

tclist wrote:Couldn't cast a vote, no option for me.

Atheist but respect the right for those who wish to follow 'their' god.
As above - none for me but fully supportive of the right/freedom to worship.

EDIT - but you must NOT knock on my front door and try to convert me. Have a massive issue with that.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Edmondson wrote:
Zimmerman wrote:Yep fair point. Think I'm the same.... The last option is/was for me.

I understand the "accept" certainly for the reasons you allude to (giving strength, sound morals etc)

However on the "respect" is this not tricky when their beliefs you would describe as "at best the ramblings of superstitious shepherds".

I think in reality the topic of religion is rarely discussed amongst friends. I'm sure most of us have a full range of friends with different beliefs that tick all the options above. However is it any different to finding out your adult friend genuinely believed in Father Christmas? Do we all just think, best not to go there, appreciating it can be a sensitive area, one that people have grown up with from their family etc. As opposed to challenging anyone with religious beliefs and thinking they must be some kind of lunatic, believing in all that mumbo jumbo.

I guess one factor is that elements of religion creep into all our lives (unless we make special effort to avoid) like going to weddings / christening in church, celebrating Xmas etc.
Yes, sort of.

It depends how close a friend they are.
I've discussed/challenged it with some. Then I have other friends that I have no idea of their beliefs.

I respect them (the religious ones) in so much as its their belief.
In the same way, if a vegetarian came to my house for dinner, I wouldn't make them a steak.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Stuff (That Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else!)”