To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Sports Personality 2017

A forum for fixed-odds betting discussion and tips including sports betting such as horse racing
murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Re: Sports Personality 2017

Post by murf »

forestfan wrote:Yeah, long overdue and only surprising because of his underperformance in the vote in previous years. I think it’s his son that swung it for him though!

Very surprising that Joshua didn’t make the top three, even though his big fight was PPV it had a massive public profile and was probably the sporting event and achievement of the year. Maybe his time will come when he sends gobshite Fury packing...

The others on the podium were questionable though, Peacock must have benefited from Strictly name recognition, and as for Rea who I had to think for a few minutes who he is, the niche sport block vote is becoming an issue, the winner has to be someone who is a household name and reaches beyond their sport’s dedicated fans. (And has Superbikes really had any global prestige since the days of Fogarty et al?)
Didn't watch the show but I would imagine a large proportion of votes are from people who do watch it.

1. Smiley bloke with the cute son
2. Prearranged internet campaign
3. That poor disabled bloke off Strictly

Looking at the amazingly close votes right down to 7th (?) who polled well over half of Mo's vote it is clear there wasn't a stand out winner.

golden bear
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 9 Ball Champ, Incidental and murfs Knockout Cups Winner

Post by golden bear »

forestfan wrote: 17 Dec 2017, 23:05
golden bear wrote: 17 Dec 2017, 22:59 Farah beats Froome in battle of the drug cheats.
Joshua should have won easily.
And when did Farah fail a drug test? Or is it just presumed guilt by association, in which case we should just ban athletics and cycling from the awards completely?

If he is exposed as a cheat at some point in the future then he will presumably be stripped of this anyway. And a motorcyclist who 95% of the country wouldn’t recognise if he walked down the street would take his place on the roll of honour...
Yes, ban athletes and cyclists and save messing around (you’re clearly not that confident in him not being judging by your comments). Ban F1 drivers as well, driving round in a circle while computers do all the work for you doesn’t make you a great sportsperson.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

golden bear wrote: 17 Dec 2017, 23:14
forestfan wrote: 17 Dec 2017, 23:05
golden bear wrote: 17 Dec 2017, 22:59 Farah beats Froome in battle of the drug cheats.
Joshua should have won easily.
And when did Farah fail a drug test? Or is it just presumed guilt by association, in which case we should just ban athletics and cycling from the awards completely?

If he is exposed as a cheat at some point in the future then he will presumably be stripped of this anyway. And a motorcyclist who 95% of the country wouldn’t recognise if he walked down the street would take his place on the roll of honour...
Yes, ban athletes and cyclists and save messing around (you’re clearly not that confident in him not being judging by your comments). Ban F1 drivers as well, driving round in a circle while computers do all the work for you doesn’t make you a great sportsperson.
So I take it you could drive a Mercedes around Silverstone as fast as Lewis Hamilton then?

As for the cheats - it’s possible that everyone on the shortlist is a drug cheat, or that none of them are. Some sports it’s more prevalent than others, and hard to avoid being associated with dodgy people. But we can’t judge people before they have been found guilty of anything. Well you can I suppose, by not voting for them...

golden bear
Dumbledore

Post by golden bear »

It’s all opinions on the internet, old bean. We can judge what ever we want.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

golden bear wrote: 17 Dec 2017, 23:24 It’s all opinions on the internet, old bean. We can judge what ever we want.
Well you can do personally, but you can’t demand the public does the same.

And if you definitively brand someone a cheat without there being any clear evidence, you can expect a call from their lawyers...

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Are we ignoring the issue of steroids and stuff in boxing, together with the pathetic testing routines (cf athletics and cycling) ???

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

murf wrote: 17 Dec 2017, 23:26 Are we ignoring the issue of steroids and stuff in boxing, together with the pathetic testing routines (cf athletics and cycling) ???
Apparently so....

golden bear
Dumbledore

Post by golden bear »

forestfan wrote: 17 Dec 2017, 23:25
golden bear wrote: 17 Dec 2017, 23:24 It’s all opinions on the internet, old bean. We can judge what ever we want.

And if you definitively brand someone a cheat without there being any clear evidence, you can expect a call from their lawyers...
Because there’s no grounds for suspicion (link from the racists at the Guardian):
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/ ... mpionships

Shitting myself for when that phone from his lawyers comes in, by the way.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

golden bear wrote: 17 Dec 2017, 23:36
forestfan wrote: 17 Dec 2017, 23:25

Because there’s no grounds for suspicion (link from the racists at the Guardian):
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/ ... mpionships

Shitting myself for when that phone from his lawyers comes in, by the way.
Suspicion and hard evidence are two very different things. Lucky you’re not in law isn’t it (I’ll follow your example and be a patronising dickhead in return :wink: )

golden bear
Dumbledore

Post by golden bear »

I’ll not sleep tonight......

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

golden bear wrote: 17 Dec 2017, 23:43 I’ll not sleep tonight......
What the eff is that supposed to mean?

golden bear
Dumbledore

Post by golden bear »

I’ll be terrified that Mo and his expensive team of lawyers will be monitoring a Fantasy Football forum and will unleash their legal expertise upon my simple head in the morning based upon your posts. How do you do the emoji things?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Very unlikely in this case, fair enough, but a forum like this is technically published media just like Twitter or a column in the Sun...

golden bear
Dumbledore

Post by golden bear »

Don't worry about it mate, it's just like people stating an opinion that those that disagree with Mo's selection as SPOTY are racists without any justification.
That's how forums work.

maradonash
Red & Blue Braces

Post by maradonash »

maradonash wrote: 17 Dec 2016, 10:33I think Farah does look a good early shout for next year.
10/11 Golds at Olympics/Worlds would be an amazing achievement and if he were to also signal an end to his track career then the Worlds might be his swansong. A home event to boot.
maradonash wrote: 19 Dec 2016, 09:58Mo Farah 40/1 :)
:D Managed to get £15 e/w on him at that price, at the very end of 2016. Chuffed.

Had written him off to be honest. Like nearly everyone else, I just could not see past Joshua.

Jonathan Rea and Johnnie Peacock finishing in the top 3 was surprising to say the least.
Could perhaps be some scope in laying future favourites if these sort of campaigns are going to become the norm.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Post by liquidfootball2 »

Sports personality of the BBC at least got something right....

Good to see Jimmy/Johnny/Dave/Andy Rea recognised at long last....whoever the hell he is

Judio
Dumbledore

Post by Judio »

Lions Rugby Team of year

Dalglish Lifetime achievement

Eddie Jones Coach of year

3 glaring errors from BBC

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

golden bear wrote: 18 Dec 2017, 00:22 Don't worry about it mate, it's just like people stating an opinion that those that disagree with Mo's selection as SPOTY are racists without any justification.
That's how forums work.
I actually inferred that the only reason I could see to not support Mo was racism. I now see another 'reason' is the misguided belief he is a drugs cheat (despite his regular testing which he has never failed).

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Post by liquidfootball2 »

murf wrote:Sorry, what on earth is wrong with Mo winning??? Well deserved in my book.

Except in the eyes of racists.
Bizarre comment imo

Of course he would have been a more than deserving winner in other years, but I always thought it was meant to reflect the past year rather than past glories.

Right winner, wrong year - he's largely given up track running in favour of road running and this year has been by his very high standards less successful.

For a measure of the shock, Gary Lough, Paula Radcliffe’s husband, and the man coaching Farah on his transition from track to road, was caught by amateur lip readers apparently mouthing the words “that’s a f------ joke”. It was not clear if this was in response to Farah’s triumph or to the technical gremlins.

Either way, this result was a colossal surprise, with Joshua, the runaway favourite after his vanquishing of Wladimir Klitschko, shut out of the top three. Not since Princess Anne beat George Best and Barry John in 1971 had there been such unexpected, if not bizarre, voting.

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

Couldn't it be that the sport of Boxing is so false/vulgar/crooked and there are so few good fights that the casual fan has drifted away?

Most of the time these days, the press conferences are more entertaining than the actual fight.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

And it's not on terrestrial tv....

Judio
Dumbledore

Post by Judio »

And Athletics is...

Farah Tick

Coach of the Year Tick

Third place (he was on Strictly ) Tick

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Dudnt they have the women's cricket?

They were 5hite in their Ashes, btw

SamD
FISO Knight

SPOTY

Post by SamD »

2017 voting and 2018 betting

VOTES
Sir Mo Farah 83,524
Jonathan Rea 80,567
Jonnie Peacock 73,429
Anthony Joshua 73,411
Adam Peaty 63,739
Lewis Hamilton 60,627
Chris Froome 47,683
Harry Kane 18,759
Anya Shrubsole 15,237
Bianca Walkden 13,962
Johanna Konta 7,591
Elise Christie 6,504

Anthony Joshua is early favourite to win next December.
2018 SPOTY 
4 A Joshua, 6 L Hamilton, 10 A Murray, 14 A Peaty, J Konta, 16 H Kane, C Froome,
20 E Christie, J Rose, M Farah, R McIlroy, 25 Jodie Taylor, L Yarnold, M Whitlock, R O’Sullivan,
33 bar. 

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “The Betting Forum”