To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Sports Personality 2016

A forum for fixed-odds betting discussion and tips including sports betting such as horse racing
blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: Sports Personality 2016

Post by blahblah »

Dennisthemenace wrote: However, if Abu Hamza had won the shot put and hammer twice on the run, then I do think those people you are on about would've tutted a little bit and voted for Jess (actually she's got some black heritage so may not, or maybe Lewis....hold on....Greg Rutherford !)
Doesn't he have a hook for a hand?

I can't stand Farah, Hamilton or Daley, but nothing to do with their skin or what they do in private.

Not a clue who will\should win, but it's fair to say a fair few of the candidates this year would have won any year up until fairly recently. Kenny with his GB Record equaling sixth gold would have been a shoo\shoe in in the past, but this year? Who knows.

Maldini
Dumbledore

Sports Personality 2016

Post by Maldini »

Why can't you stand them then?

You don't know them.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Surprised wrote:
Dennisthemenace wrote:I don't think the muslim thing is an issue really. His name might be Mohammed but he calls himself Mo, his wife doesn't appear to wear the burkha or even a headscarf and his kids appear to be westernised. He also appears very proud to be British and the opportunities this country has given him.

There might be some who won't vote for a 'muslim', but I don't think that its going to be many.

However, if Abu Hamza had won the shot put and hammer twice on the run, then I do think those people you are on about would've tutted a little bit and voted for Jess (actually she's got some black heritage so may not, or maybe Lewis....hold on....Greg Rutherford !)
So he is like 99.% of UK muslims. That doesnt stop the hate toward him. Just look at the comments on any Mail or Express story about him.
The vast majority of people don't hold the fact(s) he is black, muslim or born abroad against him. A tiny minority do but just lop, say, 10% off for that and he could easily still win. The winning margin is usually significant so a winning score with 10% off is still a winning score. I like the guy and he would get my vote.

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

murf wrote:
Surprised wrote:
Dennisthemenace wrote:I don't think the muslim thing is an issue really. His name might be Mohammed but he calls himself Mo, his wife doesn't appear to wear the burkha or even a headscarf and his kids appear to be westernised. He also appears very proud to be British and the opportunities this country has given him.

There might be some who won't vote for a 'muslim', but I don't think that its going to be many.

However, if Abu Hamza had won the shot put and hammer twice on the run, then I do think those people you are on about would've tutted a little bit and voted for Jess (actually she's got some black heritage so may not, or maybe Lewis....hold on....Greg Rutherford !)
So he is like 99.% of UK muslims. That doesnt stop the hate toward him. Just look at the comments on any Mail or Express story about him.
The vast majority of people don't hold the fact(s) he is black, muslim or born abroad against him. A tiny minority do but just lop, say, 10% off for that and he could easily still win. The winning margin is usually significant so a winning score with 10% off is still a winning score. I like the guy and he would get my vote.
Probably more hate Murray than Mo for that comment he made all those years ago, yet Murray won them over in the end.

Currently Murray is favourite, then Mo, Kenny and Trott.

PS At Blah why don't you like Mo or Tom ? I get the Hamilton thing, although don't agree, but not the other two :?

Mo Bot
Dumbledore
FS Record: Inaugural Last Man Standing. FISO Fantasy Eurovision champ 2012. World #1 in UFPL for a whole week

Post by Mo Bot »

The paralympians generally get a lot less coverage although I think if Hamza turned up "putting" a cartoon-bomb shaped device then I think the coverage would be quite extensive. Perhaps doesn't have the draw of Laura Trott though.

I think a lot more people 'get' Murray's personality now. He plays up to the dour Scotsman image and shows his dry humour a bit more.

It has been an outstanding year for British sport (football apart) and there will be a lot of unlucky people who could have won SPOTY in other years but won't even make the shortlist this year.

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

I've always 'got' his personality but then, I'm a dour Yorkshireman.

Murray wins it comfortably for me but Farah, Trott, Kenny, Adams etc all deserve it just as much.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

Mo Bot wrote:It has been an outstanding year for British sport (football apart)
Those from Wales and Leicester might disagree with the last part...

There should be a "muppet of the year" award or similar though, to cover the England footballers!

Mo Bot
Dumbledore
FS Record: Inaugural Last Man Standing. FISO Fantasy Eurovision champ 2012. World #1 in UFPL for a whole week

Post by Mo Bot »

forestfan wrote:
Mo Bot wrote:It has been an outstanding year for British sport (football apart)
Those from Wales and Leicester might disagree with the last part...

There should be a "muppet of the year" award or similar though, to cover the England footballers!
I'm a dour Scotsman so I was merely appealing to the masses about the footy :wink:

Surely muppet of the year is John Inverdale?

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

bluenosey wrote: PS At Blah why don't you like Mo or Tom ? I get the Hamilton thing, although don't agree, but not the other two :?
They just irritate me as being fake and spun. Being stuck in a lift (my usual test for such things) would be hell with Daley, but at least Mo would probably be quiet.

One thing with Mo is that he only kicked on, so to speak, when he went to America and worked with a Druggie coach.

But then I think Murray is quite sweet and funny.

Watching Kenny and Trott on tv ths morning was vaguely amusing: he just sat there and she chatted at 20 to the dozen.

Footy66
Dumbledore
FS Record: 2x Weekly Mini League Winner 2010-2011, 1 x WDT top 100 2011-2012.

Post by Footy66 »

[tr]How the bookies have it:[/tr]

Murray
Farah
Trott
Kenny
Bale
Whitlock
Skelton
Joshua
Froome
Hamilton
Peaty
Wiggins
Vardy

The reality (In Footy's eyes):

Murray 11/8
Farah 11/4
Whitlock 18-1
Skelton 33-1
Hamilton 80-1
Vardy 100-1

Cyclists disappear as they will take votes off each other. Peaty disappears because his 1 Gold can not compete with others achievements. Joshua disappears because he isn't going to get the unification belt fight this year.

Skelton could be a dark horse. His achievement sucks when compared to what others have done, but there may well be a horsey following out there. We have seen Zara Philips win before, we have seen McCoy win before. Though I'm pretty sure the horse racing / show jumping followings are completely different groups of people. Skelton has history and people like history when they vote for a Spoty winner. If someone is a legend of a particular sport - voters get behind them.

Keeping Vardy there as I have bigged him up. He probably won't even make the shortlist.

Footy66
Dumbledore

Post by Footy66 »

As for 'Team Of The Year'.......

Leicester will win that

I did remember that in 2012 they gave it to Team GB. Which is a bit ridiculous in that Team GB covers a crap tonne of sports....

I did just see that Coral had Team GB at 8-1 to win this years Team Of The Year. Those odds looked interesting to me, though they weirdly also have odds for all the individual teams within Team GB, like Hockey, cycling etc...

I wanted to check if they had changed the rules of SPOTY, and it seems they have. As wikipedia states: "Team of the Year is awarded to the team in an individual sport or sporting discipline that has achieved the most notable performance in the calendar year".

Leicester in my eyes HAVE to win it. Yeah our Track Cycling team did good, yes our Hockey team did good at the Olympics, but in no-way were they complete and utter underdogs like Leicester. The odds on Leicester winning this are not even worth touching.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

I sense that the Cycling vote would only be split between the Kenny-Trott household: although I would probably waste a vote on Cav if he got a 2nd World Championship next month.

I'm not buying your Skelton line as Zara won because of her nan, and got the royalist vote. I can't be bothered hitting wiki etc to find out what else happened that year, but I guess it wasn't as good as the last 12 months?

Bale is an interesting idea, but I'd rather vote for Jade Jones with two golds at a ridiculous age, and she is so sweet\normal etc, so the Welsh vote could be split?

Given that there is almost a female quota applied to this there is a potential dark horse from rowing? Glover or Grainger tick a fair few boxes?

But a US Open win and Murray has this in the bag?

My best guess re the Team thang is that Leicester need to do OK up until the vote. On the plus side they are in Pot 1 for the CL, so progress there is not out of the question. (Not a clue how they got there, but hey ho.....) Team GB could well have this in the bag, rules or no rules.

Footy66
Dumbledore

Post by Footy66 »

blahblah wrote:I sense that the Cycling vote would only be split between the Kenny-Trott household: although I would probably waste a vote on Cav if he got a 2nd World Championship next month.

I'm not buying your Skelton line as Zara won because of her nan, and got the royalist vote. I can't be bothered hitting wiki etc to find out what else happened that year, but I guess it wasn't as good as the last 12 months?

Bale is an interesting idea, but I'd rather vote for Jade Jones with two golds at a ridiculous age, and she is so sweet\normal etc, so the Welsh vote could be split?

Given that there is almost a female quota applied to this there is a potential dark horse from rowing? Glover or Grainger tick a fair few boxes?

But a US Open win and Murray has this in the bag?

My best guess re the Team thang is that Leicester need to do OK up until the vote. On the plus side they are in Pot 1 for the CL, so progress there is not out of the question. (Not a clue how they got there, but hey ho.....) Team GB could well have this in the bag, rules or no rules.

Cycling vote only be split between Kenny-Trott? What about Froome?

I have thrown Skelton in there because I don't really know what the 'horsey' following is like out there, so won't rule him out. I don't know much about him. He definitely does not deserve to win based on winning 1 Gold this year, but he is apparently a legend of that sport, has been around for many many years, so will be known by many generations. He is the 'darkest horse' along with Jamie Vardy to win Spoty. And by outsider I mean someone who is unexpected to win and has high odds with the bookies. Glover and Granger have Zero chance, they won't even be in the shortlist unless they put it up to 20+ contenders.

Bale? - Bale should not even be there. What has Bale done? He didn't win the Euro's, wasn't even that great at the Euro's, scored a few free kicks, and wasn't even in team of the tournament, whereas other Welsh players were. Ok - he won the Champions League with the biggest club in the world. But that shouldn't get you in the SPOTY shortlist.

With Djokovic going through a bad spell, the US Open could well be Murray's, the Davis Cup should be his. So in terms of sporting achievement nothing could beat a Wimbledon title, Olympic Gold and a Davis Cup and/or a US Open.

They might as well award Leicester with the Team award now IMO. Their performance this season should take nothing away from the ridiculously amazing thing they did last season. What they did was effin RIDICULOUS! Has any 5000-1 or more outsider ever won anything?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

See above about Froome and cycling....

Footy66
Dumbledore

Post by Footy66 »

Nick Skelton's odds been dropping a lot the last few days. From 100-1, to 40-1, now best 28-1, but as low as 16-1 with some bookies.

I guess a decent amount of bets have been placed on him.

Doesn't deserve to win this year IMO, but can see a good amount of people voting for him. Definitely one of the best outside bets, though he is less and less of an 'outsider' as the odds shorten.
Last edited by Footy66 on 08 Sep 2016, 01:53, edited 2 times in total.

Dennisthemenace
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Dennisthemenace »

He absolutely does deserve to win; any gold medal winner or world champion does.

This guy was around in the 70's and has competed at the highest level for nigh on 40 years. He has showed that even in your 50's you can compete and win and that to me is very inspirational. The years he has tried and failed made the victory taste all the better and you could see that on his face as the national anthem played.

And as far as betting goes, punters should never underestimate how the horsey fraternity will vote in their masses. There are lots of them out there and he has close connections to horse racing too!

Nevertheless, I think it's more likely that the lifetime achievers award will be on its way to him.

CigaretteSmokingMan
Treebeard
FS Record: Smokin!

Post by CigaretteSmokingMan »

One of the Olympians?

I think so.

Footy66
Dumbledore

Post by Footy66 »

Footy66 wrote:Nick Skelton's odds been dropping a lot the last few days. From 100-1, to 40-1, now best 28-1, but as low as 16-1 with some bookies.

I guess a decent amount of bets have been placed on him.

Doesn't deserve to win this year IMO, but can see a good amount of people voting for him. Definitely one of the best outside bets, though he is less and less of an 'outsider' as the odds shorten.
Now as low as 8-1. Best odds 12-1.

Nick Skelton's odds been dropping a lot over past 2 weeks.

Must be a lot of bets coming in for him. People out there are thinking about him. Maybe it could happen.

Not worth placing money at those odds though. Already placed bets at 100-1.

The only guys dropping in price in the odds.

EDIT: A day later.....make that a low of 6-1 and a high of 9-1.

Dropped like a rock.

Footy66
Dumbledore

Post by Footy66 »

Looks like Murray screwed up the US.Open and Davis Cup.....

Getting one of those titles would have surely guaranteed him Spoty. Now It's left open...

Although, personally I feel a Wimbledon title + Olympic Gold is the biggest achievement by a British athlete this year, and therefore he deserves it. Though that isn't how it works.

Who knows who will win it.

- Farah and Murray look most likely.

- Nick Skelton is an unknown sports personality to me, I don't really know how much of a following he has. It could be enough. He's come down massively in the odds, so either his fans are betting on him and there are a lot of them, or some possibly savvy gamblers have recognised him as a value bet.

- Jamie Vardy - he's come back into my thinking. I think he could still win it. Just needs to be selected in the shortlist - which may well be his problem. Leicester have started well in the Champions League. Gone out to 100-1.

Footy66
Dumbledore

Post by Footy66 »

Now Alistair Brownlee's helped his bro across the line and the whole of the UK is shedding a tear.....and wacking dollar on him.....

Gone from 100-1 this morning to 10-1 now.

Wacked a £5er on him this morning myself.

Footy66
Dumbledore

Post by Footy66 »

Brownlee now favourite.

Footy66
Dumbledore

Post by Footy66 »

All change again....

So looks like a Joshua - Klitschko fight could happen, maybe as a unification fight. If so - and if Joshua wins it.......he wins Spoty IMO. God this year has been a a bit of a rollercoaster as to who could win it.

Thinking it's worth lumping on Joshua at 17-1, but would rather see the fight confirmed and whether it's for the belts or not before gambling, but the odds will likely diminish quickly if it is announced and the belts are up for grabs. Will wait and see...

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Footy66 wrote:All change again....

So looks like a Joshua - Klitschko fight could happen, maybe as a unification fight. If so - and if Joshua wins it.......he wins Spoty IMO. God this year has been a a bit of a rollercoaster as to who could win it.

Thinking it's worth lumping on Joshua at 17-1, but would rather see the fight confirmed and whether it's for the belts or not before gambling, but the odds will likely diminish quickly if it is announced and the belts are up for grabs. Will wait and see...
Not a chance in hell!!

Ignoring the fact that Fury's belts won't be up for grabs, Joshua is virtually a nobody to the masses and won't overtake the various Olympians for one win that isn't on telly (even if it were a full on unification bout).

Footy66
Dumbledore

Post by Footy66 »

murf wrote:Not a chance in hell!!

Ignoring the fact that Fury's belts won't be up for grabs, Joshua is virtually a nobody to the masses and won't overtake the various Olympians for one win that isn't on telly (even if it were a full on unification bout).

It's a tough call this year. Various sports people could win Spoty.....so I am likely wrong in my statement. I'm not sure, even at this stage, that many of us who post on this thread could guess who will win.....but.......

If Anthony Joshua becomes the Unified Heavyweight World Champion he has to have a ruddy good chance of winning Spoty. Especially because the fight will be just weeks before the vote.

Tyson Fury - a complete nobcheese came 4th last year with 72,000 votes with 1 fight? and no Unification of the division. Someone who the public have a love/hate relationship with and I'm pretty sure can't be categorised near to some of our past heavyweight champions, but he still got a tonne of votes.

Boxers tend to do very well at SPOTY. And you can't do much better than Unify the Heavyweight division.

You are saying the belts won't be up for grabs - if so - Joshua shouldn't win Spoty. Some articles are saying Fury's belts could well be available and Joshua only want the fight if the belts are available. But news outlets do talk rubbish. So I have no clue.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Eddie Hearn did an interview thing about a week back saying how Fury could try legal channels to keep his belts, implying (to my reading) that it was mental health reasons he wasn't fighting and that the organisers wouldn't dare take them in those circumstances. Think Hearn wanted his man(?) Joshua v Fury and was getting frustrated so maybe he isn't the most objective on the issue....

Footy66
Dumbledore

Post by Footy66 »

murf wrote:Eddie Hearn did an interview thing about a week back saying how Fury could try legal channels to keep his belts, implying (to my reading) that it was mental health reasons he wasn't fighting and that the organisers wouldn't dare take them in those circumstances. Think Hearn wanted his man(?) Joshua v Fury and was getting frustrated so maybe he isn't the most objective on the issue....
What about the cocaine?

Footy66
Dumbledore

Post by Footy66 »

Shortlist in my eyes:

ANDY MURRAY
MO FARAH
ALISTAIR BROWNLEE
LAURA TROTT
JASON KENNY
CHRIS FROOME
MAX WHITLOCK
NICK SKELTON
JAMIE VARDY
DANNY WILLETT

+ if they want to add more......then it'll be a max of up to 5 of these......
(OTHERS: OLYMPIANS) NICOLA ADAMS / DUJARDIN / HEATH / LAUGHER / PEATY / SKINNER / ADAMS / JONES / ROSE
THEN THERE ARE THE PARALYMPIANS TOO.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Murray from that lot, unless people get behind Trott

Judio
Dumbledore

Post by Judio »

But the cycling vote will be split

They are doing a bigger short list this year rather than 10

Murray, Brownlee and Farah Top 3 with the bookies

Footy66
Dumbledore

Post by Footy66 »

blahblah wrote:Murray from that lot, unless people get behind Trott
Murray: Looks like it will highly likely be him that claims it again. He has achieved the most in my opinion. Wimbledon title, Olympic title, and looks set to become World Number 1 as Djokovic has been knocked out in Paris.

Though I have a bit of doubt that he will win simply because he won it last year and has won it twice in total.

Farah: is probably next after Murray in terms of achievement combined with status.

Behind them I will rule out.....

-All cyclists (I expect 3 to be in the shortlist).
-All Paralympians.
-Willett, Whitlock, Joshua.

Dark Horses: (I give these 3 a better chance of winning than those I listed in the 'rule them out' bit above).

-Brownlee (Will people have lost the love in their hearts for that brotherly moment, or will it get him across the line to win?)
-Skelton (There could be a following behind him that votes in droves)
-Vardy (I don't think people have a 'connection' with Vardy, but with his story and Leicester crazily winning the title - I would not be surprised if he won - but the general public are unlikely to get behind him because very few are Leicester fans and Vardy isn't regarded as a legend, still - I won't rule him out, and his odds of 125-1 are very good value IMO. I think he has more chance than several sports people lower in the odds.....Ennis is 33-1.....she surely won't be a contender, Bale is 14-1.....surely he won't be a contender. So it makes no sense that Vardy is 125-1 especially as he was favourite halfway through the year.......he should be 40-1 at most.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “The Betting Forum”