To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

THE CHAMPIONSHIP 2019-20

A forum for discussion on Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: THE CHAMPIONSHIP 2019-20

Post by blahblah »

And too slow to be an RB - there have been crazy speeds recorded by a few inc Chubb.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

Harry Kane has suggested he could become an NFL kicker when he hangs up his (soccer) boots...

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Yeah right.....

I remember one of the Hastings trying out and failing...

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Bielsabub Babes 118

Hernandez returned as Costa was dropped to the bench and Berardi was brought in for Cooper. Leeds looked in control of the match in the first ten minutes. The Whites were trying to work out the pitch drop off to the corner flags. The Luton fans had their first chant in the 17th minute, due to their defensive duties. Berardi at the other end was keeping everything under control.
Bamford hit the post, Phillips forced a save and Harrison’s follow up demanded another. Klich then shot wide, Ayling followed suit. It was still raining. Bamford headed at the goalkeeper as Leeds kept pressing. Hernandez crossed from the right and Roberts forced another finger tip save. Shea, the Luton goalkeeper was the man of the first half. The stats said it all. Leeds had 75% of the possession and five shots on target.
The second half was a little different. Izzy Brown was on show and the Leeds fans saw more of him today, than all the time he was at Elland Road. Izzy went down under a challenge from Phillips, White picked up the ball and laid it perfectly on for Bamford to fire past Shea. 1-0.
Izzy was livid. It took him just a couple of minutes before he sent in the perfect cross for Collins to power home a header. 1-1.
Leeds were in disarray. Luton then had the ball in the back of the net, yet those in charge ruled it out for offside. That was the kind of lucky escape that Leeds so lacked last season. The match rolled on. Another Hernandez cross was fired clear over the bar by Bamford. Pablo then went solo, forcing another good save from Shea. Klich drove again at the goalie. Time was a ticking.
In the last minute of the ninety, Klich found himself at the byline and managed to force enough confusion in the box from his cross, that somehow the ball managed to bobble in to the net. 2-1. Bamford will try to claim it but he shouldn’t hold his breath.
Oh Leeds that was lucky. I shouldn’t be so brash but there is more to it when you read between the lines, or should I say, look at the alternative tables.
Last season Leeds were hovering around the bottom of the half time table, today they are a point clear at the top.
Leeds, WBA and Brentford are a win and a draw clear of 4th placed Reading in the form table.
The Whites visit Reading on Tuesday.
If they win that, the break away is on.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Bielsabub Babes 119

The Championship followers are starting to get baggy eyes. With just one loss all season at Leeds, everybody is watching the Baggies stay up top. WBA do look the business. This next stretch of games will put them through a test. Home to Bristol, away to Preston, then another cruncher at home to Swansea. If they get nine points from those, they’ll look like they are going up.
Leeds could go top on Tuesday night if they manage a win at the Madejski Stadium, Reading. Their following three matches are all Yorkshire derbies, hosting Middlesbrough and Hull with an away to Huddersfield being squeezed in between. Bamford will be looking to keep on a scoring streak. Is it too much to ask, Patrick?
After Hull mid-week, Preston will face WBA next Monday and it could be a table topper. Then starts their Southern fixtures against QPR, Fulham and Luton.
Forest have two visits to London in the shape of QPR and Millwall, with Cardiff visiting in between. Then it’s Yorkshire time, four of them on the trot. A good test with a lot of potential to make their mark.
Fulham were lucky on Friday when they turned over QPR. They do look like a bunch of professionals doing their job though. After Derby mid-week they have a testing set of games to make their season. Swansea, Bristol, Preston and Brentford stand in their way.
It’s looking good for all, yet some will get caught navel gazing leading to the inevitable seasonal disappointment.
Ollie Watkins and Jarrod Bowen are the young strikers on the block, 23 and 22 years old respectively. Both sit on eleven. Both will be chased when the window opens. Rumours have it Gayle is Forest bound, Nketiah will return to Arsenal and Vydra isn’t impressing at Burnley. Players must be careful not to put money before their career. Changes and promises made at the New Year rarely come to fruition.
It’s not all about strikers. WBA are a case in point. They lost Gayle and Rodriguez in the summer, yet look where they are now. Phillips is their top scorer with six and the same can be said for Leeds with Bamford. This league pays dividends on team effort.
So to the match against the Royals. No doubt I’ll be watching it with a Reading man and I won’t be sober. Reading have won their last three home games. Leeds have won their last three. Leeds won three nil here last season. St Patrick always related to three’s. Are you listening Bambi? Klich and Hernandez (2) did the damage in March. Pablo, Tyler and Luke will be available again.
Bielsa has a few games to analyse for the new Reading boss. He’ll be happy. The man in black will be Mr Bond, who oversaw Leeds only defeat at home against Swansea earlier in the season. A mixed bag of optimism.
Prediction. 1-1.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

It’s not all about strikers, but I think it will generally come back to bite you in this division if you don’t have a 20-goal man. You need that clinical finisher to close out the tight games. I think West Brom and Leeds would be well clear of the pack if they had that player.

It’s so long since we had a 20-goal striker that his son is now part of our squad :lol: That’s why we haven’t been in the top flight this millennium.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: 24 Nov 2019, 15:44
It’s so long since we had a 20-goal striker that his son is now part of our squad :lol: That’s why we haven’t been in the top flight this millennium.

😂😂😂😂

I had fleeting memories of Stewart and Johnson then 😢

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 24 Nov 2019, 15:48

😂😂😂😂

David Johnson? That’s the man I’m referring to...

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: 24 Nov 2019, 15:50

😂😂😂😂

Which one we had 2 😊😞😢

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 24 Nov 2019, 15:52

😂😂😂😂

Which one we had 2 😊😞😢
Well, we signed him from you in 2000-ish...

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: 24 Nov 2019, 15:55
blahblah wrote: 24 Nov 2019, 15:52

😂😂😂😂

Which one we had 2 😊😞😢
Well, we signed him from you in 2000-ish...
Ah the second one then. Fast, a tad selfish and a good leap to make up for being short... is Jnr similar?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Haven’t seem much of him, a couple of first team appearances to date (cups I think). Described as attacking midfielder in profile...

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

So he had to pass to his dad in the garden.... 😂😂😂

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Meanwhile, McGoaldrought is playing a starring role in the Premier League :shock:

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

If you are referring to us just dumping him. Then yep, and we gave Rhodes away 😎🙈

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Bielsabub Babes 120

The Gunter hunters were out in packs tonight. It started before kick off. They had failed to realise this man is made of dragons blood. Leeds concentrated on the left straight away. Harrison was the supposed tormentor, Gunter was expected to be rusty since it was his first game of the season. He took Harrison in his pocket and even started attacking down the right. Gunter was in control.
Reading are the first team this season that have made Leeds look poor. Just a question for our Royals supporters, did they look as bad as Preston?
A fair result would have been a draw. It was low quality entertainment but all results count. Ironically, Harrison got it right for the first time on the 87th minute. Playing a deft pass near his own box as Dallas was cutting out a Reading attack, he started running. Dallas switched the attack over to Allioski, who slipped in Costa down the wing, a deflected cross fell perfectly to where Harrison was running. 1-0. That goal was built on endless effort.
Ejaria was the one that stood out for Reading and Ben White of Leeds was as solid as usual. I have the feeling Ben is going to make it big. He is starting to show other sides to his game than just defence. He can cross, he can pass and has just one more thing to add to his repertoire, scoring goals. He looks an International in the making.
Bamford was underperforming and Tyler Roberts was subbed for a niggly. This could put pressure on the Whites to invest in January. Roberts keeps on getting injured.
As we have mentioned before, many teams are looking on enviously as Mitrovic, a twenty goal a season man, helped Fulham to third with a 3-0 last night. Ahearne -Grant of Huddersfield added another to his total to put him in to the 20 a season bracket if he continues with the same form.
Leeds are now sitting top having played two more games away from home. It looks good but we await the FL ruling on Casilla. Christmas may become even more crucial. It may be the time for a Breton to make his mark for Leeds. Meslier is a bandy 19 year old goalie from Lorient. Does he have it? It is yet to be seen. There are many doubters but I’ll stick my neck out for my locality, he’ll manage.
WBA are at home to Bristol tonight, needing a win to go back top. Middlesbrough play hosts to Barnsley, leaving them one less days rest before they play Leeds on Saturday. That is another welcome change from last season.
To the Yorkshire derbies we go.

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Post by morganb »

jimmy ching wrote: 27 Nov 2019, 08:46 Bielsabub Babes 120

The Gunter hunters were out in packs tonight. It started before kick off. They had failed to realise this man is made of dragons blood. Leeds concentrated on the left straight away. Harrison was the supposed tormentor, Gunter was expected to be rusty since it was his first game of the season. He took Harrison in his pocket and even started attacking down the right. Gunter was in control.

Reading are the first team this season that have made Leeds look poor. Just a question for our Royals supporters, did they look as bad as Preston?

Ejaria was the one that stood out for Reading and Ben White of Leeds was as solid as usual.
I wasn't at the game last night (watched it on TV) but was at the Preston game. Preston were poor and kept falling on the floor for no apparent reason except to cheat the officials. Their big players (Johnson, Pearson) were didn't turn up on the night. Reading got a late winner against them in Bowens's first match. From what I saw on TV Leeds were not amazing but were not trying to con the ref at every occasion. I thought Reading put up a good showing and expected it to finish 0-0. We missed Baldock as the attack was pretty toothless. Really glad Gunter put on a good performance. Swift had an off night and Ejaria is both eye-catching and slightly frustrating in equal measure.

theo29
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: previous user

Post by theo29 »

meanwhile at Pride Park the arrival of WR plus QPR is the big Saturday treat. Rams were second best at the Cottage last night so Cocu will be hopeful of some improvement while we await the Keogh verdict. Not that it will improve their league standing.

Hogmeister
Dumbledore
FS Record: Top 300 in all-time FPL rankings

Post by Hogmeister »

morganb wrote: 27 Nov 2019, 12:13
jimmy ching wrote: 27 Nov 2019, 08:46 Bielsabub Babes 120

Ejaria was the one that stood out for Reading and Ben White of Leeds was as solid as usual.
I wasn't at the game last night (watched it on TV) but was at the Preston game. Preston were poor and kept falling on the floor for no apparent reason except to cheat the officials. Their big players (Johnson, Pearson) were didn't turn up on the night. Reading got a late winner against them in Bowens's first match. From what I saw on TV Leeds were not amazing but were not trying to con the ref at every occasion. I thought Reading put up a good showing and expected it to finish 0-0. We missed Baldock as the attack was pretty toothless. Really glad Gunter put on a good performance. Swift had an off night and Ejaria is both eye-catching and slightly frustrating in equal measure.
I was there and have seen all 5 of the home games so far under Bowen.

We have progressed in each of them, from scraping wins early on (e.g. Preston), to the demolition of Luton and the very creditable performance against Leeds this week. Yeah we are a decent team now and felt that, while Leeds were the better team over 90 minutes, a draw would not have been an unfair result, there was little in it. And that was with us missing our most (only?) potent striker (Baldock) and our two first choice full backs (Yiadom and Obita).

Thought Gunter had a great game and we played very well, but as Morganb said, toothless in attack without Baldock. Ejaria is a great player and while like Swift he is frustrating at times (why take 1 touch when you can take half a dozen?), he and Swift look much better under Bowen, he has adjusted their playing positions (Ejaria now further forward) and it’s working very well. And they are both still youngsters, so should continue to improve.

It was an excellent match - Leeds looked a very good side, best we’ve seen at the Madstad this year. And Reading on this form should soon be safely mid-table, maybe even higher come the end of the season.

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Post by morganb »

Hogmeister wrote: 30 Nov 2019, 08:57 as Morganb said, toothless in attack
He's magic you know - Georgie Puscas hat trick today :D

Hogmeister
Dumbledore
FS Record: Top 300 in all-time FPL rankings

Post by Hogmeister »

morganb wrote: 30 Nov 2019, 17:18
Hogmeister wrote: 30 Nov 2019, 08:57 as Morganb said, toothless in attack
He's magic you know - Georgie Puscas hat trick today :D
Indeed, where did that come from? :shock: :lol:

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Bielsabub Babes 121

It’s been one those English autumn weeks where the rain has been relentless, slowly but surely building up the pressures on the dams. We are used to it at this time of year but it’s the dams across the Championship that are busted. WBA started it off Wednesday by putting four past Bristol, Hull struck four through Preston as Forest danced four past QPR. Defining or rather non defending moments of the season were being cast. When Saturday came there was a deluge. Bristol smarting from their mid-week humbling breached the Huddersfield defence five times, then Brentford did a display of destruction, putting seven past Luton. Talking of the smaller scores even Barnsley managed three.
It’s such a shame the fantasy leagues for the Championship have disappeared this year as that would have been an almighty table changing weekend. How many would have dumped Puscas mid-week?
Aylings display on Tuesday was criticised for his stray defensive passes, yet within 90 seconds yesterday, he was having a stray shot, just curling around the goalkeepers right post.
On the third minute Harrison broke from midfield, crossed for Bamford who forced a save, only for Hernandez to chip it back, inviting Patrick to try again. 1-0.
The third raid came again through Ayling, this time bending it over the cross bar.
The first 15 minutes were comfortable, it wasn’t even raining.
Bamford was all hyped up. He unnecessarily handled the ball, picking up a yellow. It was followed by Phillips, who was just one hour sort of the yellow card deadline. He will miss the match against Huddersfield. Ayala was waving his arms around, everybody thought Bamford was playing Bambi. It should be a lesson learnt for Patrick who cried wolf last season. The match was turning tetchy.
Cooper took control with an incisive pass to Bamford, whose deflected assist allowed a Klichity rickity shot make its way in to the net. 2-0. Half time.
Harrison had the first proper chance of the second half, forcing Pears in to another save. Then, shock horror, a short corner finishing with Klich hitting over the bar. Another chance for Bamford with Pears blocking the ball rather than saving. The pressure was intense. More pressure, this time Dallas blasted over.
Dallas fed Klich who short passed to Costa, who at lasta put a blasta a pasta a championship defence. He would have enjoyed that right in front of the Kop. 3-0.
That was the moment the Leeds players knew they were going to enjoy their Saturday night Xmas party.
Another short corner, Phillips and Hernandez provide Klich with plenty of space as the Middlesbrough defence just stare on, for Mateus to bend it cleanly in to the top right hand corner. 4-0
Marcelo was asked in press conference why he was taking short corners today, Bielsa replied,
‘We took your recommendation’
Overall a great performance. It did have the energy of a pre-Xmas party.
Next week, it’s Xmas shopping in Huddersfield. Hoping to find a few presents.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Cardiff still our bogey team despite Colin’s departure...

morganb
FISO Knight

Post by morganb »

Brom back on top. They now have 42 points, double the amount of Reading in 18th.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Bowyer v Woodgate in the dugout this weekend then... El Scrapico? El Tw@tico? Sure it will be a Majestyk affair :wink:

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Bielsabub Babes 122.

Huddersfield were menacing in the fist ten minutes. Ben White was settling in at the centre of the back three. On the 15th Hernandez sent in a low corner, Klich connected and it smacked against the post. Bacuna, the best of the Huddersfield bunch decided he wanted to waltz. The Terrriers were building in confidence. Casilla kept Leeds in the game with a save from a Mounie header. Allioski was fidgeting around Mounie before the resulting corner. Casilla was called upon again to stop another shot on target.
The ref was having his work cut out in this John Smiths derby, a tipple that has been drank at this match since the first one in the 1920’s. I’ve always had a preference for Tetley’s but I’m at my happiest when I’ve found a pub belonging to Sam.
Just before the half hour Bamford blew one over. Leeds were starting to take control. Some good defending stopped Bamford from connecting to a Pablo through ball.
Marcelo had a long talk with Klich as Schindler was stretching out his treatment. Was this a Cowley Brothers tactic for the players to get a breather? Bacuna then got kicked by Klich, this time the treatment looked more warranted. The Cowley Bros were laughing even more when Bacuna made his way to the touchline.
The first half prognosis? Even though Leeds were creating chances they still looked rattled. The home fans were playing their part. 0-0.
At the start of the second half, Harrison was putting in a crucial defensive tackle. This is how Leeds play. Five minutes later, Hernandez sent in a corner, the attempted clearance fell to...Alliiiiiiossskiiii! 1-0.
Huddersfield now had to press, Leeds broke and Hernandez curled one around the post.
An offside decision went Huddersfield's way as Bamford headed in. Another unlucky call for Leeds.
In the 63rd minute Grabara made an excellent save from a Harrison cross and Bamford header.
Another great save followed, this time at the other end. Casilla did a point blanker from a Kachunga header. The Huddersfield defence were starting to creek as they tried to push further up the field.
Dallas had a shot, then Bamford got Hogg booked using the Schindler technique, stretching out his injury. Leeds were starting to play with confidence. Another good build up, another shot blasted over, this time it was Costa. On the 76th minute Nketiah came on for Bamford. The next attack, the Terriers defence were following Nketiah's speedy run as Hernandez stole around the back to head in an inch perfect cross from Harrison. 2-0, game over.
Grant squandered a golden opportunity to keep the game alive but Leeds rode out the final ten minutes in a comfortable fashion.
Looking at the table this Sunday morning it’s starting to look defined. Bristol City are the new boys on the block as they beat third placed Fulham at the Cottage to move level third. The gap to second stands at seven points but it could be eight by the end of today. Forest could move one point clear in third, if, they win their game in hand, even though they’ve only managed one point from their last six. Preston and Swansea have both dramatically slumped over the last few games. The break is looking on for the Whites and the Baggies.
It’s the last of the so-called easies for Leeds, a home game against Hull on Tuesday. Many will see this as a point buffer building exercise before the gruesome Xmas fixtures.

theo29
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: previous user

Post by theo29 »

meanwhile over in Blackburn the Rams go down again, 5 away in a row and not a goal since early October. Will the coming of WR have an effect ? The A52 mob along the road are hanging in there !

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Yeah, we’d have taken a point at Millwall beforehand but feels like an opportunity missed given we effectively handed them the first half with a bizarre team selection, and then turned it around to lead in injury time.

Rooney could find himself as caretaker manager within weeks given the recent form in Sheepland...

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

Top two seem to be pulling away now, the Albion with a game in hand as well.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Bielsabub Babes 123.

With WBA top and a comfortable run of fixtures to come, excepting the Birmingham derby, it looks like one automatic place is going to be settled pretty soon. Who can stop them? By the time they come around to the New Year home fixture against Leeds, they’ll be cruising out in front. It’s looking very good for the Baggies and ominous for the rest of us.
This season is also a special one for Leeds. Since the dawn broke on Leeds’s second century, with a home win against Birmingham, they have gone unbeaten. The sun is shining and brightly at that. Can’t see any red sky this morning. There may be a red sky in the Premier League but this is the Championship.
Leeds are on a run of six wins on the trot. I’m sitting here, hoping history won’t repeat itself. Last season we were on a run of seven wins and Hull came here in December. Bowen then tanked us. It was the brutal reality of last term. Our team was naive. We now have one more season of being living under the Bielsa belt. He flogs his players to make them do things by second nature.
Marcelo has a project and he’s obsessed with it. The players are responding to his teachings. Each player has improved under him. Dallas, Allioski and Harrison just keep getting better. The ability to interchange positions is demanded and they have produced. Costa is work in progress. He’s only had half a season under Bielsa’s influence. Casilla, this time, shows he’s learnt from his previous half season. Bouncing back from his Derby play off nightmare shows his character. He is much better than I expected.
When Marcelo sold Vierra and kept Phillips, many Leeds fans were horrified. Bielsa saw something they didn’t. The biggest shock of all, was when Klich was grabbed out of Leeds 3rd group of players that were up for sale. Mateus has now played more games for Bielsa than any other player in the squad. I have been if-ing and but-ing with him, especially last season but now I have seen the light. He’s another player who has improved immensely.
Bamford’s improvement is the one that most fans question. They are still divided on this. Bielsa is trying to drill the Chapman-esque style in to him as another skill to add to his repertoire. Unfortunately some fans just want a Beckford. I was saying last season he was two yards short, this season he’s getting there. When that has become second nature we might see the floodgates open. It’s slow progress in nature though.
There is only one player Marcelo hasn’t improved. Hernandez was excellent before he arrived.
Overall I’m happy going in to Christmas unless Bowen brings me back flat on my ass tonight.
Prediction. 2-1 Leeds.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Football Talk & Events”