To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Danny Rose

A forum for discussion on Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
Dot
FISO Jedi Knight

Danny Rose

Post by Dot »

Quite right in raising awareness of racism still exsisting in the game with authorite doing little about it but two of his comments really irked me.

he says. “When countries only get fined what I’d probably spend on a night out in London, what do you expect? When the punishment is not as harsh, what do you expect?

Checking on the net what the most recent fines were I find Romania £44,339, October 2018 and Russia £22,000 March 2018. So taking an average Danny Rose claims he spends £33,000 on an average night out :shock:

on what??????????? he calls that average? Didn't even think footballers were drinking to excess during the season, unless he wants to explain what he spends more than a years salary for the average person on a nite out.

secondly and more controversially he says, “I’ve had enough. At the minute, how I program myself, I just think, ‘I’ve got five or six more years left in football and I just can’t wait to see the back of it.’ Seeing how things are done in the game at the minute. I just want to get out of it.

he,s had enough, he just wants to get out, he cant wait to see the back of football, he wants out! Yet adds I've got 5 or 6 years left. :?

Well what is it to be then Danny if racism isn't stamped out now?

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Re: Danny Rose

Post by Zimmerman »

Yep, thought the comment about having enough was a bit rich. Quit if that’s how you feel.

Absolutely, it’s a shame that it should come to that and it’s letting ‘them’ win if he does. But seems a bit petulant.

Personally, I wouldn’t get hung up on his throwaway comment about the cost of a night out.

He might spend 30k on a night out... who knows. The point is, fining a national body £20k is pathetic and pointless. Fine them £5m or £10m. Make them play 6 games at a neutral ground or behind closed doors. Do something that will act as punishment/deterrent.

There is an argument that won’t actually ‘fix’ anything and it’s a much bigger societal issue. But it’s a start.

eastcentral1
Dumbledore

Post by eastcentral1 »

Why should he quit? He has probably sacrificed everything to be a professional footballer, and he deserves to make a living from it.

Reminds me of Andre Agassi's autobiography. Although it is hard to understand, not all sports people love their sport as much as the fans. But why do they have to.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

If you hate something and/or it’s not making you happy (or it’s making you unhappy) - then absolutely.

eastcentral1
Dumbledore

Post by eastcentral1 »

I bet people all across the country hate their jobs, that doesn't mean they must quit. You're allowed to hate your job, and to complain about it.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Absolutely... but for most of us, we don’t have the luxury of being able to quit the rat race.

If I had the means (or courage to live a simpler life) I would leave in a heartbeat.

Life is too short to be doing something that makes you unhappy.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Zimmerman wrote: 05 Apr 2019, 12:17 Absolutely... but for most of us, we don’t have the luxury of being able to quit the rat race.

If I had the means (or courage to live a simpler life) I would leave in a heartbeat.

Life is too short to be doing something that makes you unhappy.
I had the means so I did quit the rat race. Working was stressing me and making me unhappy so I walked away (yes I'm 'lucky'). Can't see how an unhappy footballer can't do the same - he certainly wouldn't have to live anywhere near as frugally as I do.

His comment on the cost of a night out really irked me, showing himself to be a typical spoilt footballer who doesn't understand the irony that the football he hates is what gave him the opportunity to spend as much as a racism fine on a night out.

I generally disklike Raheem Sterling but had far more respect for him and what he said the other week.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

My frustrations and negative feeling are generally heading in the direction of the nasty pieces of work that are racist rather than at Danny Rose.

eastcentral1
Dumbledore

Post by eastcentral1 »

Interesting how most of the reaction in this thread is that, if Danny Rose is unhappy about the racism he suffers in football, then he should quit football. Not that football should change. I'm guessing you're all white people.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

eastcentral1 wrote:Interesting how most of the reaction in this thread is that, if Danny Rose is unhappy about the racism he suffers in football, then he should quit football. Not that football should change. I'm guessing you're all white people.
Does it really need saying that racism, in or out of football, is wrong?

A thread with everyone saying "racism is horrible" would be rather pointless and dull.

eastcentral1
Dumbledore

Post by eastcentral1 »

I didn't say it should be a thread saying racism is wrong. But it wouldn't have been uninteresting had someone offered up some thoughts about where football is going wrong, and how it might address this. Instead the only practical suggestion is that Danny Rose should get out of football if racism makes him unhappy.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

I should imagine if you're called "a useless n*****", hear monkey chants, and have bananas thrown at you, all for having the apparent affront to play a game for a living, you'd think to yourself about coining it in and then leaving as soon as your talent starts to be on the wane.

Lovely bit of blaming the victim going on in this thread, should maybe think before typing.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

I’m amazed the N-word isn’t censored on here given some of the trivial expletives that are :shock:

Anyway, the likes of John Barnes might say that racism is a societal issue not a football one, but why shouldn’t football take the lead? Football is like a religion in a lot of countries, and if football says racism is a serious issue, it might help with starting to change attitudes in society. In recent years, FIFA, UEFA etc. have sent out the message that it’s a lesser crime then wearing sponsored pants etc...

They talk about teams potentially walking off the pitch, but I think it might take a player doing a “Cantona” following such racial abuse to really bring it into focus.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Football Talk & Events”