To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Assault on Jack Grealish

A forum for discussion on Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
Britinus
Grumpy Old Man

Assault on Jack Grealish

Post by Britinus »

Just seen (TV) the assault on Jack Grealish. OMG. The FA has to jump on this before we get copy cats and set an example. B'ham to be deducted points, play at least two matches behind closed doors what? Just hope the idiot gets just punishment for assault. The restraint of the AV players was very commendable.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Re: Assault on Jack Grealish

Post by forestfan »

We've seen an incident at Hibs this week as well, the clubs have to be punished, although that does open up the possibility of people turning up at rival teams' matches trying to get them points deductions...

We don't want a return to grounds having to have deep moats or perimeter fencing, but if this continues they will have to look at how to keep the fans separate from the players. As the pundits said, he could have broken a player's jaw, or someone one day could run onto a pitch with a knife.

Britinus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Britinus »

agree with you about a knife attack, with all your problems over there with knife attacks it's certainly a possibility. What annoyed me more was the morons attitude as he was led off the pitch.

get_on_my_cocker
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: Won many company leagues, and nearly won TFFO back in the day. Also managed Carra's team to success in Sky FF

Post by get_on_my_cocker »

I see some idiot ran on the pitch at the Emirates this afternoon too. What is wrong with people??!!

footy666
Kevin and Perry

Post by footy666 »

I don't get this chatter about perimeter fencing, moats, more stewards....

I could understand it if people being assaulted on a football pitch was a regular occurrence.....but it's not. I don't remember any professional footballer ever getting badly beaten, stabbed, or killed in the 34 years I have been alive....

Postmen don't get their own personal bodyguards or bullet proof Royal Mail vans..... Office workers don't get moats and fences put around their offices.....

People can be assaulted anywhere and at any time, that's life. Why do footballer's need more protection than anyone else out there who is at work. A postman is probably assaulted more regularly than any professional footballer is..... I heard on some estates Postie's have had milk bottles thrown at them.

but oh, we feel sorry for these professional footballers..... we need to protect these professional players as they are the most important people in society, let's build them a moat, give them their own personal body guard each, stab proof football tops..... it's madness.

If anything....just have some kind of alarm system, that maybe gets triggered if a fan crosses a barrier, or some people watching on CCTV to see if anyone jumps the barrier, then set off the alarm. That way players know if someone is coming and can react....

But it really isn't that bad here....1 lame punch....if fans come on the pitch it's usually to celebrate a goal. This was just 1 idiot. I have seen Joey Barton do worse on a football pitch like when he punched Morten Gamst Pederson. Zidane head butting Chiellini......

Britinus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Britinus »

You missed the Cantona incident when he leaped the barrier and drop kicked a spectator.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Grealish's attacker jailed for 14 weeks.

Was Cantona even arrested?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

murf wrote: 11 Mar 2019, 18:13 Grealish's attacker jailed for 14 weeks.

Was Cantona even arrested?
Yeah, he got community service.

Amazed this was done and dusted in the space of a day, not exactly a Lee Bowyer or Ben Stokes case was it? The great mysteries of the justice system...

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

I agree with footy, the reaction to this, presumably Brummie, idiot has been OTT. It's part of the football world thinking that's it's somehow special these days. The situation in the 70s and 80s makes most of that that has happened in recent years pall into insignificance. Of course no one should excuse today's morons,and in isolation the 14 weeks sentence is good, but let's keep things in perspective.

One thing that I'd like to see is that those like the Birmingham idiot should be humiliated with some modern day equivalent of the stocks. But of course another set of morons the politically correct brigade would stop something as potentially effective as that in it's tracks. :wink:

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Stocks would be good but the PC mob might accept him being made to walk around Brum in a Villa shirt.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Would people be saying “keep it in perspective” if a player was attacked on the pitch with a knife? Because that’s the way things are heading if they don’t take this seriously. And in professional football the players are the entertainment, if they are not safe doing their job then there is no product to market any more.

I don’t know how often players were attacked in the 70s and 80s, but they brought in perimeter fences, and we all know how that turned out. In the all-seater era it wouldn’t have the same safety implications, but would still be a shame for the game to have to go down that route again. So if you don’t want to be fenced in at grounds, get behind severe punishments for offenders and clubs.

eastcentral1
Dumbledore

Post by eastcentral1 »

forestfan wrote:Would people be saying “keep it in perspective” if a player was attacked on the pitch with a knife?
I think then the perspective would be quite different!

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

The main need is for clubs to spend more money on stewarding. Relying on a bunch of guys on close to minimum wages with just a few hours training is not the way forward.

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

forestfan wrote: 12 Mar 2019, 08:14 Would people be saying “keep it in perspective” if a player was attacked on the pitch with a knife?
I for one would still be saying that. If a single footballer was killed by stabbing it would be truly dreadful, but people would still wouldn't get things in perspective as the outcry would suggest the end of the world, even though kids are getting stabbed every day in our society.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Football Talk & Events”