To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Referee not a t0sser

A forum for discussion on Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Referee not a t0sser

Post by morganb »

What would you do if you were a referee who'd forgotten the coin for the toss?

Rock, paper scissors of course!

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... ontroversy

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Re: Referee not a t0sser

Post by Zimmerman »

And he’s been banned for it 😳

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

Rumours that a number of refs in grassroots football are going to do this as a show of support this weekend. The original ref should be praised for using his initiative...

I just wish Graham Poll had got Keane and Vieira playing RPS back in the early ‘00s :lol:

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

I wonder how it wood have gone down in the 60s when tied matches were decided by a coin toss.

Reminds me of this tale from Liverpool v Cologne (I've probably posted this before but I love it so you can have it again):

After 300 minutes of football, including another gruelling period of extra-time, the outcome was to be decided by the toss of a coin, and even then it wasn't as straightforward as people think.

Referee Robert Schaut from Belgium was the man at the centre of attention as Liverpool captain Ron Yeats and Cologne skipper Wolfgang Overath approached the centre circle.

Reflecting on the incident, Yeats said: "I got in first to the referee and said 'I'll have tails'. Lucky for me the referee said, 'OK. Liverpool tails, Cologne heads.'

"Up it went and it stuck in a divot. I said to the referee, 'Ref, you're going to have to retoss the coin'. And he went 'You're right, Mr Yeats.'

"I thought the German captain was going to hit him. He was going berserk because it was falling over on the heads. He picked it up, up it went again, and came down tails.

"We were coming off and who is standing there but Bill Shankly. I was first off the pitch and he went 'Well done, big man. I am proud of you. What did you pick?'

"I said 'I picked tails, boss'. I was waiting for the adulation but he just went 'I would have picked tails myself' and walked away."

If you thinking taking a pen is scary and stressful, imagine facing Ron Yeats in Rock, Paper, Scissors!

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Football Talk & Events”