To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

It' Neville to Campbell, Campbell to Rio.....

A forum for discussion on Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
Dennisthemenace
Grumpy Old Man

Re: It' Neville to Campbell, Campbell to Rio.....

Post by Dennisthemenace »

This World Cup is epic! Nearly as good as 1982 and we're only at the Quarter Final stage.

The Southgate era come of age tonight. Harry Maguire immense, Pickford is not a crap keeper, Kane is, well, Kane, Trippier superb, and best of all, those players who stepped up to take penalties with cool heads.

The pressure is off. We won on penalties and that hoodoo is now gone. Everyone can start enjoying themselves a little bit more.

And let's not forget, another afternoon drinking away Europe's supply of CO2

Dennisthemenace
Grumpy Old Man

...And so, we roll on :D

Everything from today is a bonus. Actually, everything from today was a bonus. Getting beyond the 2nd round was fantastic.

I remember 1990 with Lineker, Platt, Gazza and Shilton. So close, but then beaten by the Germans on penalties.

I remember the over-hyped, so-called Golden Generation that followed with Shearer, Terry, Seaman, Lampard, Gerrard, Beckham, Scholes, Rooney, Cole, etc, etc, etc, so massively under pressure because of the 1990 exploits.

Then it all went flat.

Then we got beat by Iceland.

And nobody cared too much anymore.

But here we are, in the World Cup semi-final, enjoying the fabulous English summertime, looking forward to an early finish on Wednesday, drinking a few more beers, having a lot of fun and dreaming of Sunday and what it might bring.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Jeepers the delusion of those names :?

Gazza and Venables were the pits, imho; with Hoddld ignoring Le Tiss not far behind.

A grounded manager, who tries to keep feet on the ground gets in the good half of the Draw, then gets slated by the Press and now is on the cusp of I dread to think.

England are not as bad as we were, but if we win this it will be a sripous fluke, imho - but far from impossible due to the Draw.

Dennisthemenace
Grumpy Old Man

Oh yes, complete fluke, but what a fcking fun one :D

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Only if it banishses ShearAss from BBC

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

Dennisthemenace wrote: 07 Jul 2018, 23:31 I remember the over-hyped, so-called Golden Generation that followed with Shearer, Terry, Seaman, Lampard, Gerrard, Beckham, Scholes, Rooney, Cole, etc, etc, etc, so massively under pressure because of the 1990 exploits.
The Euro 96 men, Shearer etc, don’t deserve to be lumped in with the “golden” generation - they were coming from rock bottom expectations after the Turnip Taylor years and largely delivered the goods on home soil, then 1998 was mixed but offered a lot of hope for the future before the Hoddle/Keegan debacle had us back to square one again.

The the Sven era brought us fresh hope, the 5-1 in Germany will remain unsurpassed as an England fan unless we actually win the World Cup or Euros, and for a couple of years we really did seem capable of something big. 2004 was the high point, Rooney looked like the superstar who would be the final piece in the jigsaw. But then it just went stale, the Sven private life sagas, the WAG circus, club rivalries, uninspired performances, players who just seemed to find playing for England a chore. They lost the English public, and that dragged on for a few more years under a series of managers. The low point, other than the Wally with the Brolly episode, was perhaps Rooney having a go at his own fans after that dire Algeria performance. Why wouldn’t you boo after seeing that?

For a few years since that generation fizzled out, it hadn’t really felt like a proper England team, the names felt like nonentities and they didn’t give us much to get excited about. I thought Iceland had scarred another generation for good, but thankfully that hasn’t been the case, and now we have a team that has got the country excited again. Favourable draw, perhaps, but how many teams have not taken care of what’s in front of them when expected to? We’ve had easy draws and fluffed our lines (2010), difficult draws and failed to rise to the challenge (2014). It’s about winning matches, whoever you have to play.

We’ve got a bunch of players now who have done it the hard way, starting lower down, loan spells etc... they don’t seem to have that sense of entitlement that those who preceded them had. They’re England fans in England shirts, and that counts for a lot. I wondered if England matches would ever become event TV again a few years ago. Whether they win this or not, or another trophy over the next few years, they have reconnected the team with the nation and that’s worth celebrating in itself.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Agree absolutely, this New England has a promising decade ahead, and I'm hoping this is just a taster of what we have to come. Gareth made his luck with 'The Gamble' (which should be the title of the now inevitable Christmas time documentary).

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Tacalabala wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 11:11 this New England has a promising decade ahead
Hopefully we’ll be as successful as Tom Brady and co, but with less of the (alleged) cheating :wink:

(Apologies for the NFL reference for the uninitiated...)

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

It's June 1990 :D :D

England are in the semi finals of the World Cup :D

Back then, I was mostly listening to :

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Tacalabala wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 11:11 Agree absolutely, this New England has a promising decade ahead, and I'm hoping this is just a taster of what we have to come. Gareth made his luck with 'The Gamble' (which should be the title of the now inevitable Christmas time documentary).
I love the optimism. Don’t quite get how people jump from “they’re young, so will only get better” thought process though.

France aren’t going to stand still, Germany still have so much depth, Belgium are young too.

Spain might need a bit of regrouping but still have plenty of depth.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Zimmerman wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 12:32
Tacalabala wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 11:11 Agree absolutely, this New England has a promising decade ahead, and I'm hoping this is just a taster of what we have to come. Gareth made his luck with 'The Gamble' (which should be the title of the now inevitable Christmas time documentary).
I love the optimism. Don’t quite get how people jump from “they’re young, so will only get better” thought process though.

France aren’t going to stand still, Germany still have so much depth, Belgium are young too.

Yeah, a team often will only get one shot where things fall in their favour. Some countries are consistent contenders, and that’s somewhere we’d like to get to, but back to back exceptional tournaments are rare, and dynasties even more so - nobody has retained the World Cup since 1962 and most recent winners haven’t even got out of the group stage the next time around!

Four years, or even two, is a long time in international football, and it’s hard to keep that freshness and motivation in a squad. Just look at where we were four years after Italia ‘90 (watching at home) or four years after Euro ‘96 (going out at the group stage with clueless defending under Keegan).

Dennisthemenace
Grumpy Old Man

bluenosey wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 11:49 It's June 1990 :D :D

England are in the semi finals of the World Cup :D

Back then, I was mostly listening to :

That Adamski tune was the unofficial theme tune of that World Cup. If I hear it on the radio that's the place my mind goes back to. Nessum Dorma was the BBC coverage theme and that's another that takes me back to 1990.

And let's not forget these memorable tunes from World Cups past

1974 World Cup Final
ITV theme

1978 Argentina
BBC theme

1982 Spain
BBC theme
ITV theme

1986 Mexico
BBC theme
ITV theme

1990 Italy
BBC theme

1994 Italy
BBC theme

Also stumbled across this classic :D

Jack Charlton and John Aldridge lose it!

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

forestfan wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 13:23
Zimmerman wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 12:32

Yeah, a team often will only get one shot where things fall in their favour. Some countries are consistent contenders, and that’s somewhere we’d like to get to, but back to back exceptional tournaments are rare, and dynasties even more so - nobody has retained the World Cup since 1962 and most recent winners haven’t even got out of the group stage the next time around!

Four years, or even two, is a long time in international football, and it’s hard to keep that freshness and motivation in a squad. Just look at where we were four years after Italia ‘90 (watching at home) or four years after Euro ‘96 (going out at the group stage with clueless defending under Keegan).
Indeed just 11 of the squad from 2016 made it to Russia.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Football Talk & Events”