To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Russia 2018 Chat

A forum for discussion on Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Re: Russia 2018 Chat - Friday night in Sochi, Spain or Portugal?

Post by liquidfootball2 »

blahblah wrote:
liquidfootball2 wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 20:52 You can have all the Saudis, Iran's, Morocco's and Egypt's

I want good teams playing each other everytime

Absolutely brilliant
Without the ugly people, us beautiful people wouldn't be.....
I know what you're getting at but personally i can do without the ugly teams, but each to his own.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

liquidfootball2 wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 21:07
blahblah wrote:
liquidfootball2 wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 20:52 You can have all the Saudis, Iran's, Morocco's and Egypt's

Absolutely brilliant
I know what you're getting at but personally i can do without the ugly teams, but each to his own.
The "top" teams can still serve up dross, though. Just think of all those Sky Sooper Dooper Sundays with 2 matches of Top 4\6 playing each other and the borefest it provides....

It was a strange match as both would have benefited from a point, after Egypt lost - but then I haven't looked at who the Group Winners play next....

Did the VAR Bods look at the Penalty Decision? At best it was a drawn foul at worst a dive, and would have been match over?

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

blahblah wrote:
Did the VAR Bods look at the Penalty Decision? At best it was a drawn foul at worst a dive, and would have been match over?
Better teams have better players with more quality which increases the chances of seeing something worth watching.

It was a clear and obvious penalty, Ronaldo was waiting for him, the defender Nacho was stupid enough to tackle with his wrong foot and was completely undone.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

liquidfootball2 wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 21:28
blahblah wrote:
Better teams have better players with more quality which increases the chances of seeing something worth watching.

It was a clear and obvious penalty, Ronaldo was waiting for him, the defender Nacho was stupid enough to tackle with his wrong foot and was completely undone.
Yep to drawn, lol

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

forestfan wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 20:58 as for Iniesta, why is he going into semi-retirement in Japan? He’s got another 4 years in him. Costa showing Chelsea what they’ve lost, and a crisp finish from Nacho, as Jeff Stelling would no doubt say :wink:

Still, this is World Cup football, I predict one of them will lose to Iran and be sent packing...
I know the commentators were heaping praise on him, but he seemed lose the ball quite a few times for me. Misplaced passes or dribbles into oncoming players.

Though Thiago was much better when he came on.
Obviously not wanting to underestimate the influence From Iniestas experience and calming influence.

Isco and Silva also fantastic in their interchanges.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Although looks like 92% accuracy for his passing.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

blahblah wrote:
Yep to drawn, lol
Yes it was drawn, the defender was completely undone and couldn't deal with it. Ronaldo brushed off David Silva and bewildered Nacho with a brilliant stepover to win the penalty which he scored.

Why would you need VAR for obvious penalties?

BobMem
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: The Graduates - FISO 5AS H2H Champions 13/14
FISO King of Rock and Roll - Elimination game winner 2015/16

Post by BobMem »

The eye test says Isco is a superb footballer. His first touch was almost always brilliant.
Great game.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

blahblah wrote:

Not a penalty for me. Yes the defender and ref were undone by sleight of hand but for me unless the contact would actually knock you over then you are diving.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Spinynorman wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 22:23
blahblah wrote:

Not a penalty for me. Yes the defender and ref were undone by sleight of hand but for me unless the contact would actually knock you over then you are diving.
I didn't really watch the replays that closely as he was obviously going down well before any contact (Lee One Pen taught me about being getting them, and he would be embarrassed by that effort)... If it wasn't the great Ronaldo playing for little Portugal against the Mighty Spain then I sense there would have been more questions ie if it were nasty Suarez against the nice England etc

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

blahblah wrote: If it wasn't the great Ronaldo playing for little Portugal against the Mighty Spain then I sense there would have been more questions ie if it were nasty Suarez against the nice England etc
I must admit i totally disagree with you on this too, so we'll leave it there

From4corners
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by From4corners »

blahblah wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 20:03 Any reason(s)? Seems odd to me....
Huge gap between experienced players (who left) and the young'uns. There's no proper balance there.
Ow yeah, and awful coaches..

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 21:17
liquidfootball2 wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 21:07
blahblah wrote:

Absolutely brilliant
The "top" teams can still serve up dross, though. Just think of all those Sky Sooper Dooper Sundays with 2 matches of Top 4\6 playing each other and the borefest it provides....
They’re only borefests when United are involved... those involving City, Liverpool and Spurs were almost invariably thrillers last season.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Re: Russia 2018 Chat

Post by forestfan »

Anyway, Ronaldo now has 51 career hat-tricks and 84 international goals.

Oh, and he now has as many World Cup finals strikes as Oleg Salenko and Asamoah Gyan...

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

He’s also become only the fourth player to score at four World Cups Finals.

Miroslav Klose, Uwe Seeler and Pele the other three.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Also first ever player to score at eight consecutive major tournaments...

Must have a realistic shot at 100 international goals if he goes on another couple of years.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Maldini wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 23:30 He’s also become only the fourth player to score at four World Cups Finals.

Miroslav Klose, Uwe Seeler and Pele the other three.
Tim Cahill to follow?

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

I'm hoping for a response from Messi today, much as I would love Iceland to pull off an almighty shock. Peru-Denmark is a crucial game if you've written off Australia already.

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

France supposedly fielding a front three of Mbappé, Griezmann and Dembele today so could get a cricket score.

Australia finished behind Saudi Arabia in their qualifying group and we all saw how bad the Saudis were on Thursday.

Fancy comfortable wins for France and Argentina and one goal wins for both Denmark and Croatia.

dino1980
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL Best, 1,000th 2014-15.

Post by dino1980 »

Australia have changed their manager since the qualifying campaign and are much improved. They beat the Czechs 4-0 in a recent friendly. I think they’re far better than most give them credit for.

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

forestfan wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 23:06 Anyway, Ronaldo now has 51 career hat-tricks and 84 international goals.

Oh, and he now has as many World Cup finals strikes as Oleg Salenko and Asamoah Gyan...
But that's the first time he's really shone at the World Cup.

Over to you, Mr Messi.

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

Maldini wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 09:01 France supposedly fielding a front three of Mbappé, Griezmann and Dembele today so could get a cricket score.

Australia finished behind Saudi Arabia in their qualifying group and we all saw how bad the Saudis were on Thursday.

Fancy comfortable wins for France and Argentina and one goal wins for both Denmark and Croatia.
I think everyone is going to think that now. Once a favourite is drawn against a "lesser" team, there will be a goal fest.

It doesn't always work like that, though, however, I still fancy France, Argentina and Croatia to win. Not sure about Denmark, I reckon Peru could surprise. Sounds like the whole country has gone to Russia to support them.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

dino1980 wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 09:05 Australia have changed their manager since the qualifying campaign and are much improved. They beat the Czechs 4-0 in a recent friendly. I think they’re far better than most give them credit for.
How bad must the Czechs be if beaten 4-0 by a team worse than the Saudis??

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

murf wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 10:36
dino1980 wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 09:05 Australia have changed their manager since the qualifying campaign and are much improved. They beat the Czechs 4-0 in a recent friendly. I think they’re far better than most give them credit for.
How bad must the Czechs be if beaten 4-0 by a team worse than the Saudis??
Mate :lol: :lol: :lol: exactly, or did the Saudi's throw the Russia match?

Bilic made an interesting point about nearly all the Russian XI coming from top 2 clubs and they dominate the League so they are used to breaking down defences.....

Has Asia ever produced a side who has vaguely flattered at the WC? (Australia do not count :wink: )

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 23:04 They’re only borefests when United are involved... those involving City, Liverpool and Spurs were almost invariably thrillers last season.
You're old enough to remember more than last season :wink:

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

blahblah wrote:
Has Asia ever produced a side who has vaguely flattered at the WC? (Australia do not count :wink: )
South Korea reached the semis when they were joint hosts

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

I suppose South Korea 2002, though they had help from home advantage and some dubious decisions... also their neighbours in 1966 perhaps? Japan generally manage to be a forgettable shade of mediocre, but rarely abject. And there was that Saudi goal in 1994 (when they did get beyond the group stage).

Few and far between though, and certainly haven’t tended to catch the eye with stylish football like some of the (typically sub-Saharan) African sides over the years.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Australia are kicking off senior international football, cricket and rugby matches at exactly the same time. That must be a first!

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

Let's hope they lose all three. :mrgreen:

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

South Korea don't count due to the quite frankly bent officiating.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Football Talk & Events”