To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Russia 2018 Chat

A forum for discussion on Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Re: Russia 2018 Chat - Player of the tournament?

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 17:45
forestfan wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 17:32 Now as many goals in this final as the previous 4 combined... the last one where both teams scored at least twice was 1986.
Well done to VAR 8-) 8-) 8-)
Well, only one VAR goal here...

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 17:49
forestfan wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 17:32 Now as many goals in this final as the previous 4 combined... the last one where both teams scored at least twice was 1986.
I could argue that the FK shouldn't have been given?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 17:50
Yeah, but free kicks aren’t a VAR matter...

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Post by liquidfootball2 »

Poor refereeing has been the story, it's refereeing mistakes from the hapless Uruguayan that has made the difference.

Var can highlight an incident rightly or wrongly, a good referee doesn't have to go with it, the best of all the refs the Dutchman didnt.

The referee's decisions have unfortunately had far too much of an influence on who won this game.

Croatia deserved more, the referee unfortunately has made sure they didn't get it
Last edited by liquidfootball2 on 15 Jul 2018, 17:59, edited 1 time in total.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 17:52
blahblah wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 17:50
Yeah, but free kicks aren’t a VAR matter...
That is why I would have to argue re Close range ones and\or ones that lead to goals should be reviewed :lol:

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

The best team in the tournament did win it though, to score four in the final takes some doing.

Huge decisions from the referee helped them in the final and has put a big cloud over this game, but France deserved the trophy

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

liquidfootball2 wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 17:58 The best team in the tournament did win it though, to score four in the final takes some doing.

Huge decisions from the referee helped them in the final and has put a big cloud over this game, but France deserved the trophy
Yeah, they perhaps didn’t dominate games possession-wise but scored great goals at key moments and showed the ability to defend resolutely and manage games as well.

So much young talent there, they should be set to contend for a fair few tournaments to come, although the difficulty recent winners (going back to themselves in 2002!) have had negotiating the group stage the next time around shows they can’t take anything for granted.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Yep, and allegedly despite their manager?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 18:14 Yep, and allegedly despite their manager?
Again, the same was true 20 years ago, Jacquet was widely ridiculed by the French public before landing the big one. And even the astrology-driven clown Domenech got them to within a penalty shoot-out of a repeat...

The water carrier joins an exclusive club of player and manager winners. I wonder if he will go out on top and let Zizou/Wenger have their moment now...

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Lineker’s got a successor when he hangs up his microphone then (winning it in the Euros only qualifies you to be chief pundit...)

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 18:17
Again, the same was true 20 years ago, Jacquet was widely ridiculed by the French public before landing the big one. And even the astrology-driven clown Domenech got them to within a penalty shoot-out of a repeat...

The water carrier joins an exclusive club of player and manager winners. I wonder if he will go out on top and let Zizou/Wenger have their moment now...
And get the job at the first underperforming top Club and really trash them? :lol: :lol: :lol:

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

forestfan wrote:
liquidfootball2 wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 17:58 The best team in the tournament did win it though, to score four in the final takes some doing.

Yeah, they perhaps didn’t dominate games possession-wise but scored great goals at key moments and showed the ability to defend resolutely and manage games as well.

So much young talent there, they should be set to contend for a fair few tournaments to come, although the difficulty recent winners (going back to themselves in 2002!) have had negotiating the group stage the next time around shows they can’t take anything for granted.
Yes agreed, just the best team in the final were perhaps the Croatians but you don't always get what you deserve and the decisions unfortunately largely decided the outcome even of the second half goals made it more decisive.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 18:26
forestfan wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 18:17

And get the job at the first underperforming top Club and really trash them? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Didn’t his predecessor just retire from management completely? Hard to outdo that anyway...

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Is she the Croat PM? :shock:

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 18:28 Is she the Croat PM? :shock:
Or even President...

Putin gets an umbrella, the Croatian woman and Macron have to get soaked :lol:

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Infantino’s umbrella-holder doing a pretty crap job, lucky he’s got no hair to get wet anyway...

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

Golden Ball winner - Luka Modric

2nd Hazard, 3rd Griezmann

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Will be a shame if this is Modric’s last international game - I know he has his off the field issues as well. We get to renew our rivalry with them in the Nations League of course...

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

Personally I think the Argentinian ref turned the game with an unbelievably stupid decision :evil: :evil:

Croatia the better team by far and were robbed. There's no justice :(

Deschamps is one lucky barsteward. Invisible as a player in 98 and so lucky to win this final.

I think a lot of people will take the Croatian team to their hearts after this (although not Mandzukic's death stare :shock: )

I also though the Croat keeper (Subsidic ?) was pretty pants. Always seemed to be out of position. Good at saving pens but nothing else.

Still the tournament as a whole the best since 2002, just spoilt by the diving/play acting. Russia put on a great show. As for Qatar, well, :?

Three of the best games ever France v Argentina, Portugal v Spain and Japan v Belgium.

Hero of the tournament - Modric

Zero of the tournament - Neymar

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

blahblah wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 17:57 That is why I would have to argue re Close range ones and\or ones that lead to goals should be reviewed :lol:
There were no VAR goals. Referee decided to give a penalty, not VAR. And the free-kick was correctly awarded by the way.

Even though I don't have any research to prove it, I have come around to a conclusion that there has to be a certain correlation between voting for Brexit and opposing VAR. Obviously not every Brexit voter opposes VAR (or vice versa), but I'm convinced there has to be some correlation.

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

Finisher1 wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 20:44
blahblah wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 17:57 That is why I would have to argue re Close range ones and\or ones that lead to goals should be reviewed :lol:
There were no VAR goals. Referee decided to give a penalty, not VAR. And the free-kick was correctly awarded by the way.

Even though I don't have any research to prove it, I have come around to the conclusion that there has to be a certain correlation between voting for Brexit and opposing VAR. Obviously not every Brexit voter opposes VAR (or vice versa), but I'm convinced there hast to be some correlation.
:shock: :lol:

Most Brexiteers oppose sh1te refs 8-) well, me anyway :)

VAR = GIGO

Garbage in, garbage out. Namely, you could have the best technology in the world but if you've got some imbecile in charge of it, you get rubbish. That's what we saw with the dumb Argie ref.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

bluenosey wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 20:49 :shock: :lol:

VAR = GIGO

Garbage in, garbage out. Namely, you could have the best technology in the world but if you've got some imbecile in charge of it, you get rubbish. That's what we saw with the dumb Argie ref.
So, you are a Brexit voter and VAR opposer. I think that's quite common :)

Maybe I should put up a poll in FISO?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

bluenosey wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 20:49 VAR = GIGO
The real problem is that so few don't get changed\reversed by the ref. Once he flounces off to the Screen it is certain to be changed?

While it may reduce the number of errors, it does skew things and as above a Goal from a dodgy FK, should be looked at - and the VAR bods (usually) have ages to look at them.

(Which match was it when Argentina didn't get a blatant pen?)

Are we supposed to be on the same side in the Breakfast thang? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

VAR has been a major success, human error will still let even the best systems down. In the end it was the referee who decided not VAR.

The officials on and off the pitch are still human, errors or misinterpretations will still be made but the percentage of correct decisions has gone up and been higher than ever.

Congratulations to France, they were undoubtedly deserved winners overall and the best team in the competition even if Croatia were unlucky today, the referee's part in the final was so unfortunate and shouldn't be allowed to overshadow the achievement.

Six goals, and some exceptional ones at that, was a right and fitting way to end a World Cup that will stay in the memory longer than most

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

Finisher1 wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 20:52
bluenosey wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 20:49 :shock: :lol:

VAR = GIGO

So, you are a Brexit voter and VAR opposer. I think that's quite common :)

Maybe I should put up a poll in FISO?
No I'm all for VAR. I've always believed the big team get the big decisions (and when they don't all their fans will start bleating) So this should level it.

Unfortunately it came down to a totally incompetent ref who...capitulated in favour of the bigger team :?

Croatia slipped up by not appealing for everything.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

On the plus side: it did boot Brazil out too 8-) 8-) 8-)

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 21:12 On the plus side: it did boot Brazil out too 8-) 8-) 8-)
Your hatred of Brazil really knows no bounds :lol:

Traditionally they’re probably most people’s second team... if perhaps not this time due to Neymar’s theatrics.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Poll
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 22:37
blahblah wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 21:12 On the plus side: it did boot Brazil out too 8-) 8-) 8-)
Your hatred of Brazil really knows no bounds :lol:

Traditionally they’re probably most people’s second team... if perhaps not this time due to Neymar’s theatrics.
a tad harsh: Socrates was cool as foook, Eder and Falco(?) wre beyond tasty and this is my fave WC match:

Since then the violence they showed vs Argentina has been to the fore and yet the Press\Experts spunk their collective pants, when in my lifetime Argentina and Chile have been better to watch. Toss in Neymar, who for the collective effort, is over-related beyond belief, imho. Luiz's face during the Germany match 4 years ago was :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-) 8-) 8-)

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Re: Russia 2018 Chat

Former referee Keith Hackett gives his verdict on those two extremely contentious first half goals

The VAR penalty - France's second

But no matter who makes the decision I am afraid to say the officials got this one badly wrong. To issue a sanction the referee must decide it was a “deliberate” handball, and there is no way that was the case here. Perisic’s hand is in a natural position and he had no time to react after the ball went past Blaise Matuidi. 

That is obvious when you watch the incident in real-time, but Pitana was shown numerous slow-motion replays. Seeing an incident in slow-motion removes any context and makes it look worse than it was. I believe that only full-speed clips should be shown during a VAR review, and if that had been the case I don’t think the penalty would have been awarded. Pitana is a good, strong referee but I felt sorry for him as he was tied in knots by the system designed to help him. 

The own goal - France's first

I also believe France’s opening goal should not have stood as it came from a free-kick awarded after a blatant act of simulation by Antoine Griezmann. I understand why Pitana was fooled but there must be a case for using VAR in circumstances such as these. The system is designed to prevent goals being awarded if there has been an infringement in the build-up and that was the case here.

Sadly, we were left with a situation where France were 2-1 ahead but neither goal should have counted. It was an unsatisfactory end to a tournament where VAR has worked far better than I feared it might. 

He summarises

I have been impressed with VAR during this World Cup but in Sunday’s final, on the biggest stage of all, the system completely failed. 

Neither of France’s two first-half goals should have counted, with the penalty award for the second absolutely staggering. 

It highlighted what I believe is still the fatal flaw when it comes to VAR - the fact that the on-field referee makes the key decision. There was no doubt the ball hit Ivan Perisic’s hand but Nestor Pitana, the Argentine official, had ruled no offence had been committed. But when he is told by his VAR, Massimilano Irrati, that he needs to review the decision, Pitana’s view naturally changes. As he is being asked to have another look he assumes he has made a mistake and the chance of him overturning his original call is enormous.

He also has to make that call while standing at the side of the pitch, in front of a crowd of 81,000 and a TV audience in the hundreds of millions. It is intolerable pressure and I believe it would be far better if the VAR makes the call and then transmits the decision to the referee. 

I add

So while VAR has imo been a major success there are still refinements that could be added to improve it, making the refs decision for him or with no need to be called to watch it might well be worth it. Human error will still cause mistakes to be made but possibly even less.

A pity it ended on a downbeat note for VAR which has on the whole been such a success, but more importantly the final proved well worthy of possibly the best World Cup ever.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-cup/2 ... d-referee/

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Football Talk & Events”