To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Do agents really run today’s game?

A forum for discussion on Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Do agents really run today’s game?

Post by forestfan »

I saw an article earlier suggesting that the reason that “£50m rated” Mahrez has not got a big move may be that he has a nonentity of an agent, whereas inferior players represented by the super-agents like Raiola get more opportunities.

The suggestion was made that agents have the power in football these days, after throughout the history of the professional game the power has passed from the governing body to the clubs and then the players. Are these people really deciding who plays where?

I’ve heard rumours that one recently sacked manager’s departure may have been linked to his close relationship with an agent in a part of the world he worked before, which created what could at best be described as a conflict of interest in terms of his recent club’s transfer strategy. Whether or not that kind of thing is common, these individuals clearly have an influence that far exceeds anything they add to football. Then there’s the youngsters whose careers are shaped by agents before they’re old enough to speak up for themselves. I’ve been saying for years that FIFA should ban them and clubs should only be able to negotiate with players and other clubs directly over transfers, although you obviously can’t stop players having advisors behind the scenes. Something needs to happen to control their influence at the very least.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Football Talk & Events”