To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

THE CHAMPIONSHIP 2016-17

A forum for discussion on Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Re: THE CHAMPIONSHIP 2016-17

Post by forestfan »

In terms of immediate future, I suspect Montanier will depart after tomorrow's game, but nobody with any ambition will be interested in the job, we will get some yes-man from the backroom staff (think Gary Brazil and Paul Williams in previous seasons) as long term caretaker to see us into League One.

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Post by Moist von Lipwig »

forestfan wrote:The league need to get tough on owners who ruin clubs and/or do business in the wrong way, give themselves the power to take compulsory ownership of clubs that aren't being run properly and then re-sell them. Their hapless attempts to deal with Cellino at Leeds and the shameful Coventry situation show that's a very long way off though.
I've always thought they'll let any Tom, Dick or Harry in as they likely beleive theres no other potential owner in sight and the club in question will be going down the toilet anyway... Morcambe looks another one in bother, their new owner has just done a vanishing act.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Monty gone... who will want to come and work for Fawaz now?

nffc
Grumpy Old Man

Post by nffc »

forestfan wrote:Monty gone... who will want to come and work for Fawaz now?
Probably not now but previously, you just know the idiot has looked into the option of appointing himself Forest manager before finding out that it is not possible. While muppet Fawaz is still in charge there was no point changing the manager, if JJM had come in then I get having a complete fresh start but as it is the wrong person has left the club, the player sales have not been his decision and I doubt the crap to replace them was Montaniers choice either. You could blame the players but if I did not get paid on time by my employer then I would not give 110% at work either.

I cant see anyone fresh wanting to come in with Fawazs interference and incompetency, so someone who is already at the club and I'd be happy with Jack Lester given a shot at it. Having said that we would lose a brilliant youth team coach in 5-10 months time when Fawaz tries to hide behind the manager for his own choices and buffoonery and decides to sack him too

Hogmeister
Dumbledore
FS Record: Top 300 in all-time FPL rankings

Post by Hogmeister »

Seems like there's a lot of this about these days.

Reading for many years were the model of a stable club under Madejski, but since he sold we had a near-disaster under the Russians, have recovered with the Thais, and right now a Chinese consortium is trying to buy us, but the EFL are (allegedly) not convinced they pass the "fit and proper persons" test.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38610024

The fact that our ownership situation is currently up in the air means that Stam is very hacked off, which is a real shame after his tremendous first season. No-one knows what the plans are for this transfer window. According to the BBC we completed the transfer of Tiago Ilori from Liverpool (circa £3.75m?) on Tuesday, but there has been no official announcement and Stam says there are still "one or two things" they are sorting out. Sounds like the ownership saga may have put this one in doubt. No wonder Stam's unimpressed at the situation.

Worrying times.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

How about compulsory 51% supporters' trust ownership for clubs? Been done in other countries I think.

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

There's one very obvious candidate about 50 miles down the M42.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

bluenosey wrote:
There's one very obvious candidate about 50 miles down the M42.
Not sure who is managing Solihull Moors at the moment, is he any good? :wink:

If you're suggesting Rowett he's already ruled himself out under current ownership. As will any manager who's not desperate for a job.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

It's just like watching Brazil... :wink:

First Sub Podcast
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Twitter @TheFirstSub_FPL

Post by First Sub Podcast »

forestfan wrote:It's just like watching Brazil... :wink:
Bristol City in free fall!

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

The Toon Man wrote:
Well yeah, if there's a gimme three points at the moment, that's it... we will be competing with them for available managers soon though!

First Sub Podcast
Grumpy Old Man

forestfan wrote:
The Toon Man wrote:
Well yeah, if there's a gimme three points at the moment, that's it... we will be competing with them for available managers soon though!
How did you play today? Understand it's not been great lately?

Rotherham played ok first half an hour today, the Murphy goal just before half time killed their confidence. 2nd half was a breeze. Shelvey back making a massive difference as expected.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

The Toon Man wrote:
forestfan wrote:
The Toon Man wrote:
How did you play today? Understand it's not been great lately?

Rotherham played ok first half an hour today, the Murphy goal just before half time killed their confidence. 2nd half was a breeze. Shelvey back making a massive difference as expected.
First win since the "9 v 12" match where Lansbury's Tom Daley impression did the job for us :wink: Sounds like it was a fairly solid performance, got the job done, a rare clean sheet...

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Post by morganb »

Reading back up to 3rd after a game of two penalties - both saved, but Reading put in the rebound whereas Fulham didn't.

Hogmeister
Dumbledore

Post by Hogmeister »

morganb wrote:Reading back up to 3rd after a game of two penalties - both saved, but Reading put in the rebound whereas Fulham didn't.
Yeah, cracking game at the Madstad, had a bit of everything, and a very important win over a good side.

How the McCleary shot stayed out - hit the crossbar and bounced down, like the 1966 world cup final - is anyone's guess.

Jaap Stam appearing to be a bit of a tactical genius, choosing last night to play without a recognised striker (we had four on the bench :shock: ) and it worked well.

Think that's three straight penalties (the ones I've seen anyway) that we have had saved and then scored on the rebound - maybe it's a deliberate tactic? :wink:

Funniest bit (I'm not sure the Fulham fans would agree) was in the dying seconds when they take a corner - desperate for an equaliser, keeper comes up for it, etc - and it goes out for another corner. Frantically their corner-taker grabs the ball to take another corner and get it back into the box... but he's too quick and grabs it before it goes out of play :lol:

Handball, freekick to Reading and it's game over. Happy days.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

So, Nigel's turned us down... probably for the best, given the current circumstances.

I suspect it's going to be a case of either stick with Brazil or go back to the only man desperate enough for a third spell...

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

:lol: 'I've got a Monk on. He violated my safe space' :D

Maldini
Dumbledore

THE CHAMPIONSHIP 2016-17

Post by Maldini »

Or Mr Monk is just not very gracious in defeat?

Shame because I have a lot of time for him despite him managing dirty L*#ds.

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Post by morganb »

some interesting results tonight - top 2 both draw so Huddersfield and Reading edge closer to them, both coming from behind to win.

Only Brighton play on Saturday. Newcastle are against The Mighty Villa on Monday.

Then next week is very important for the teams that are currently in 2nd, 3rd and 4th - Huddersfield v Reading next Tuesday followed by Brighton v Reading on the Saturday at the Am Ex (and I'll be there to see it :D )

The Royals could be top two if results go their way!

Hogmeister
Dumbledore

Post by Hogmeister »

Don't quite know how Reading won that one tonight, Brentford were very unlucky. Going to have to play a lot better than that over the next few games - we've got a really tough run of games coming up, starting with those away matches at Huddersfield and Brighton.

Tall Paul
Dumbledore

Post by Tall Paul »

I see Owen Coyle is doing a sterling job :lol:

First Sub Podcast
Grumpy Old Man

Tall Paul wrote:I see Owen Coyle is doing a sterling job :lol:
What about Bruce at Villa? :shock:

Tall Paul
Dumbledore

Post by Tall Paul »

The Toon Man wrote:
Tall Paul wrote:I see Owen Coyle is doing a sterling job :lol:
What about Bruce at Villa? :shock:
Yes, him as well. Apparently his players are struggling with the pressure of being the highest paid in the league.

Also, I can see why Derby County brought Steve McClaren back. He seems to be fully on board with the "Derby Way" of playing.

I don't quite have the same depth of feeling for those two as I have for Coyle and his latest team though :twisted:

morganb
FISO Knight

Post by morganb »

Hogmeister wrote:Don't quite know how Reading won that one tonight, Brentford were very unlucky. Going to have to play a lot better than that over the next few games - we've got a really tough run of games coming up, starting with those away matches at Huddersfield and Brighton.
Well, the Huddersfield game didn't quite go to plan. Al Habsi did save a penalty but a late goal for Huddersfield lead to a 1-0 loss for The Royals. Jaap put Liam Moore up front at the end and by the wireless it sounded like he did get a half chance in the dying minutes which he couldn't convert. Roll on Saturday and Brighton at the Am Ex, as Reading haven't lost a game this season that I've attended (though admittedly I've only been to a handful of games!)

I still feel that Reading lack a quality striker and have flattered to deceive a bit this season but hopefully they should still make the play-offs.

Hogmeister
Dumbledore

Post by Hogmeister »

morganb wrote:
Hogmeister wrote:Don't quite know how Reading won that one tonight, Brentford were very unlucky. Going to have to play a lot better than that over the next few games - we've got a really tough run of games coming up, starting with those away matches at Huddersfield and Brighton.
Well, the Huddersfield game didn't quite go to plan. Al Habsi did save a penalty but a late goal for Huddersfield lead to a 1-0 loss for The Royals. Jaap put Liam Moore up front at the end and by the wireless it sounded like he did get a half chance in the dying minutes which he couldn't convert. Roll on Saturday and Brighton at the Am Ex, as Reading haven't lost a game this season that I've attended (though admittedly I've only been to a handful of games!)

I still feel that Reading lack a quality striker and have flattered to deceive a bit this season but hopefully they should still make the play-offs.
Yeah, no great surprise that we lost tonight, sounds like it was a pretty close game though. Agree that we have rarely played like a top 3-4 side, but have a habit of grinding out results, although I'd say new arrival Grabban and (especially) Kermogant are decent strikers at this level - and there's certainly no shortage of back-up to those two, with another 3-4 strikers who have had some degree of first team experience this season.

In other news, that win takes Huddersfield to within 4 points of Brighton and 5 off the Toon - making it 2 out of those 3 for the auto spots? ...while Sheffield Wednesday's surprise defeat (Brentford are a decent team, as I mentioned above) makes the Reading loss not quite as damaging as it might have been. Now hoping that Fulham don't win both their games in hand so that Reading can retain that cushion over 7th place.

...and in other other news - I see Owen Coyle has finally gone. As a neutral I think that's a shame, as he's always been entertaining when interviewed, but the results have hardly been great.

Simenon
Treebeard
FS Record: TFC last season. Finished bottom of my private league...

Post by Simenon »

Wow. This is a really good Championship year.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Just spotted Newcastle's Make or Break time is arriving. Next three games are all away, to Brighton, Huddersfield and Reading. Brutal test.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

jimmy ching wrote:Just spotted Newcastle's Make or Break time is arriving. Next three games are all away, to Brighton, Huddersfield and Reading. Brutal test.
Yeah, big day for Brighton yesterday with a convincing win over Reading, and Newcastle and Huddersfield both drawing. The recovery from 2-0 down for Newcastle will make it perhaps less of a psychological blow than it might have been, but it's still a gimme 2 points dropped with a really tough run coming up.

If Newcastle win at Brighton then it's all pretty much "as you were" but if they get less than say 4 points from that run of games they will really be looking over their shoulders. Rafa rumours in today's papers as well, will that be unsettling?

morganb
FISO Knight

Post by morganb »

forestfan wrote: Yeah, big day for Brighton yesterday with a convincing win over Reading
Reading were actually the better team until the first goal went in. After half-time Brighton came out looking a lot better and Reading twice got caught on the break. Jaap refused to change from his passing-it-about-at-the-back plan and even the introduction of Swift, Kelly and Grabban didn't improve the Reading attack. In fact Brighton had two other goals ruled out for offside.

If they are not careful, Reading are at risk of being caught by the chasing pack and possibly missing out on the play-offs

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Fulham look like the team that might gate crash the play offs. Their goal difference gives a clue. 3 of their next 4 are at home. Their away game is at Newcastle. Could be interesting.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Football Talk & Events”