To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Fantasy Racing 2014-15 * The Jumps *

A Forum for Fans of Fantasy Horse Racing games.

SamD
FISO Knight

Post by SamD »

The fifth season of William Hill/Daily Mirror's The Jumps competition launches on Sat 15 November.
Game runs from Hennessy Gold Cup day, 29 Nov, to the end of the Cheltenham Festival in March.

How To Play
Pick 10 from the list of 200 on The Jumps coupon available at William Hill shops from Sat 15th.
Each entry costs £2. Deadline is noon, Sat 29 Nov.

Each selection scores 10 points for winning any National Hunt race in GB or Ireland.
Additional points are earned for starting prices and in bonus races.

Prizes
Last season, the best of the 130,420 entries scored 348 points to win £100,000.
The runner-up, with a total of 343, received £50,000.
Monthly cash prizes of £1,500 and £500 were awarded in Dec, Jan, Feb and March.
For info, two years ago (2012-13), the winning total was 325.

Leaderboard
For rules and standings, check http://www.thejumps.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and The Mirror & Daily Record.

As usual, a Fiso mini-league will be set up.
Last year's thread: fantasy-racing-2013-14-the-jumps-t107105.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by SamD on 12 Nov 2014, 18:51, edited 1 time in total.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Re: Fantasy Racing 2014-15 * The Jumps *

Post by Surprised »

Ashers has already started a thread on this and set up a league.
fantasy-jumps-2014-2014-telegraph-t113937.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

It's a different competition.

Cheers Sam. I'll pop into William Hills at the weekend.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Maldini wrote:It's a different competition.

Cheers Sam. I'll pop into William Hills at the weekend.

Sory
My mistake

SamD
FISO Knight

Post by SamD »

Online search suggests this may be the draft* list of jumpers in the 2014-15 contest:

http://www.thejumps.com/stats.aspx?page=playerSearch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

* Why draft? Well, there are just 200 horses (instead of the usual 208) listed.

Eight are shown after the alphabetic list so may be the Stable Stars?
  • BAILY GREEN
    BRIAR HILL
    I NEED GOLD
    NEXT SENSATION
    RAJDHANI EXPRESS
    TAQUIN DU SEUIL
    THE NEW ONE
    VALERIAN BRIDGE

SamD
FISO Knight

Post by SamD »

For info, last season's winning entry:
  • M Ellis, Trafalgar shop; 348 points
Team points:
  • 70 MY TENT OR YOURS
    30 ANNIE POWER
    20 ARVIKA LIGEONNIERE
    43 TAQUIN DU SEUIL
    20 BRIAR HILL
    45 JEZKI
    45 TRIOLO D'ALENE
    10 REVE DE SIVOLA
    45 LORD WINDERMERE
    20 MELODIC RENDEZVOUS
Runner-up:
  • Mr Condon, Coatbridge shop; 343 points
  • 70 MY TENT OR YOURS
    30 DYNASTE
    60 SIRE DE GRUGY
    00 SPRINTER SACRE
    43 TAQUIN DU SEUIL
    45 JEZKI
    30 UN DE SCEAUX
    10 UPSIE
    10 ROCKY CREEK
    45 LORD WINDERMERE

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

SamD wrote:Online search suggests this may be the draft* list of jumpers in the 2014-15 contest:

http://www.thejumps.com/stats.aspx?page=playerSearch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

* Why draft? Well, there are just 200 horses (instead of the usual 208) listed.

Eight are shown after the alphabetic list so may be the Stable Stars?
  • BAILY GREEN
    BRIAR HILL
    I NEED GOLD
    NEXT SENSATION
    RAJDHANI EXPRESS
    TAQUIN DU SEUIL
    THE NEW ONE
    VALERIAN BRIDGE
That would be a truly eccentric list of stars. The New One - OK, Briar Hill and Taquin de Seuil just possibly, the rest would be mad.

More likely someone has gone through their original list and added a few which they originally forgot to include in the possibilities for the competition.

SamD
FISO Knight

The Jumps

Post by SamD »

The game has been modified this season:

- now need to pick 10 horses from full list of 200

- Stable Star scrapped (so maybe wallet for entry slip will disappear, easing Hill's workload).

Local staff also said coupon could be available this Friday, a day earlier than advertised.
More info: http://www.racingtips.com/category/comp ... 411110003/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

quizking
Grumpy Old Man
Location: quizking towers, primrose hill; and running the shop at https://www.quizking.net/

Post by quizking »

Front page not quite up yet, but here's a link for new details/rules;

http://www.thejumps.com/default.aspx?page=rules" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FAQ page also suggests that you can name your stable(s) again this year (which wasn't possible last year), which should make the site slightly more user friendly, or at least easier to follow progress of your own stable on a leaderboard.

Ashers
FISO Knight
FS Record: OFL Fantasy Fives Winner 2011/2012, SDT wins WDT, weekly, monthly and seasonal prizes. Fantasy Darts daily winner, TFFO mini league winner & FISO U21 Threes Champs 13.

Post by Ashers »

Has anyone entered this yet?

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

Ashers wrote:Has anyone entered this yet?
No one in their right mind enters until the last 24 hrs, preferably only in the final 2 hrs. Injuries are a constant theme and no one wants to include the next Sire de Grugy.

Once you've paid yer money in Hills, that's your "stable" until the end of the comp.

Personally I'll probably only start thinking about it Friday afternoon. 10 minutes to compose a short list, some googling to check that I haven't missed an injury, and then an hour with a spreadsheet trying to get the best cover and combinations of my short listed animals.

Then after a final injury spotting google, off to Hills on Saturday morning to write my name and details about 30 times on their painful entry forms, and wait while they spend a few minutes putting my forms through their machine. Finally reward myself for the tedium of the morning with a full English in a nearby cafe.

Then when I get home, unlike some wives, Mrs Striker will be totally disinterested in how much dosh I've handed over, but will be more interested in how many sausages I've eaten. :oops: :lol:

SamD
FISO Knight

Jumps league

Post by SamD »

For info, more than 33,000 stables have been registered to date.

Entered one side* on Tues (despite previous poster's observation!)

Reason?

a) to test procedure at Hills; it takes about two minutes to register, mainly because shop manager has to complete and sign separate form to validate offer of two free tickets to a Jump meeting this season; so prepare for longish wait if you're planning bulk entry

b) to set up mini-league (all welcome, as usual):
  • name: Fiso Festival
    password: pa102aw
simply post team-name or number in this thread when applying to join; say if there's any query

* team 'Alone Again Or'
  • 205 Allez Colombieres
    206 Annie Power
    219 Bobs Worth
    229 Champagne Fever
    254 Faugheen
    347 Shaneshill
    353 Simonsig
    365 Sprinter Sacre
    369 Tell Us More
    388 Vautour
Hope to submit further stables next Friday evening, a day before the 29 Nov deadline.
It'd be useful if people could identify any non-runner on the 200-horse list; thanks.

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

Sam: do you get two tickets for every entry? Are the tickets for rubbish AW midweek meetings, or are some of them worthwhile?

How did those three Henderson horses creep into your entry? :wink:

SamD
FISO Knight

The Jumps: free racecourse tickets

Post by SamD »

In answer:

1) It's a pair of tickets per customer. From rules:

When you enter this year’s ‘The Jumps’ competition, we are offering the chance to claim 2 free race tickets to selected races.

Step 1. Go to your local William Hill shop and ask for a 'The Jumps' entry coupon.
Step 2. Complete your 'The Jumps' entry(s) as well as choosing one of the available courses/meetings on the leaflet that you want tickets for.
Step 3. Staple the leaflet and 'The Jumps' entry(s) together and hand them into the till in your local William Hill Shop.
Step 4. Receive the free ticket which will be stapled to your 'The Jumps' entry(s).
Step 5. Attend your selected meeting for 2 free tickets!

NOTE: Free race ticket voucher is not valid without a 2014/15 'The Jumps' receipt. This is strictly one voucher per customer not one voucher per Entry. A voucher can only be used once, and tickets are non-transferable; if resold they will be rendered void. Terms and conditions apply; please see the Jumps leaflet for full T&Cs.

2) Free Grandstand tickets are for any of these 2014-15 race meetings:
  • Ayr - Mon 12 Jan; Wed 21 Jan; Tue 10 Feb; Mon 23 Feb; Fri 6 Mar
    Chepstow - Wed 11 Feb; Thu 19 Mar; Mon 30 Mar
    Doncaster - Fri 28 Nov; Mon 29 Dec; Fri 23 Jan; Thu 5 Feb; Fri 27 Feb
    Fakenham - Tue 13 Jan; Thu 22 Jan; Mon 2 Mar
    Fontwell - Sun 18 Jan; Thu 12 Feb; Wed 4 Mar
    Kempton - Sat 10 Jan; Fri 6 Feb; Sat 14 Mar
    Uttoxeter - Tue 9 Dec; Sat 24 Jan; Sat 7 Feb
    Wetherby - Sat 6 Dec; Sat 10 Jan; Tue 20 Jan; Tue 17 Feb; Tue 17 Mar
    Wincanton - Thu 15 Jan; Wed 25 Feb
3) Henderson trio deserve notice at this stage, though intervening fortnight to entry deadline may change thoughts. Was particularly interested in including last Saturday's Cheltenham winner for Paul Nicholls and Sam Twiston-Davies, Sam Winner. But he's now earmarked for the Grand National after the end of the Hills Jump competition. Instead, have backed it at a tenner each way at 33/1 for the Aintree marathon which just happens to be run on my birthday next April. Perhaps there are too many Sam coincidences...

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

Thanks for that detailed info.

BTW, the merit of your three Henderson horses, at least two of which will appear in my entries had no bearing on my comment. It was purely that they appeared to be interlopers in a Willie monopoly. :wink:

SamD
FISO Knight

Post by SamD »

Ah, I see. Isn't English marvellous ... is there another language when you can say one thing and mean another?!

With exactly five days to go, Jumps entries have now passed 46,000, about a third of the total stables on deadline day in recent seasons.

Potential season-long non-runner in list of 200 (any more?):

Gary Moore has refused to abandon hope of chaser Sire De Grugy making the Cheltenham Festival in March despite a scan revealing that his stable star has a hip injury which means he will not run again in 2014 - Racing Post.

Striker
FISO Knight

Re: Jumps league

Post by Striker »

SamD wrote:It'd be useful if people could identify any non-runner on the 200-horse list; thanks.
Montbazon 305 & Valdez 384 reported by Alan King to be out for the season.

SamD
FISO Knight

Post by SamD »

Thanks, Striker. With three days to Saturday's noon deadline, entries now total 71,337.

That's about half the final number of previous seasons. With the recent demise of the Racing Post-Tote Ten To Follow contest, however, perhaps The Jumps will attract a record total this year?

Fiso mini-league details are in post dated 20 Nov above. Do say if there's any query.

Ashers
FISO Knight
FS Record: OFL Fantasy Fives Winner 2011/2012, SDT wins WDT, weekly, monthly and seasonal prizes. Fantasy Darts daily winner, TFFO mini league winner & FISO U21 Threes Champs 13.

Post by Ashers »

Went into William Hill today and they said that they have doubled the number of staff in the offices ready for this to hit on Friday /Saturday.

SamD
FISO Knight

Post by SamD »

With Saturday noon deadline looming, entries now exceed 85,000.

At the same Friday stage last year, 67,000 of the eventual 130,000 stables had been registered.

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

Annie Power lame.

Mullins says tests will show if its muscular (short delay) or minor stress fracture (somewhat longer). Probably not a big problem but an uncertainty that we can do without at this stage.

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

Has anyone come across any relevant last minute info? :?:

Not much interest on fiso it seems for one of the best fantasy comps. :cry:

Does anyone understand what's gone wrong with their stats which purport to show the percentages of entrants having the most popular horses?

Ashers
FISO Knight

Post by Ashers »

Anyone going into a William Hill this morning?

quizking
Grumpy Old Man
Location: quizking towers, primrose hill; and running the shop at https://www.quizking.net/

Post by quizking »

My entries in this morning, shop no busier than usual, system working ok (though coupon numbers not on database as yet, takes up to 48 hours).

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

quizking wrote:My entries in this morning, shop no busier than usual, system working ok (though coupon numbers not on database as yet, takes up to 48 hours).
Ditto. There were several punters in the shop but in the 20 minutes or so that I was there I was the only one showing any interest in The Jumps.

In the shop entry was pretty efficient with each entry taking an average of 14 secs.

Entering ones entries on-line will be a real pain this year as the system seems to have changed and the entry numbers are no longer sequential which means that one will have to enter every number completely independently. :x

Ashers
FISO Knight

Post by Ashers »

First Bonus Race:

1 Irving 6/4F - 25pts
2 Aurore D'estruval 3/1 - No points as not on the list.

Ashers
FISO Knight

Post by Ashers »

Second Bonus Race:

1 Many Clouds 8/1 - 25 points
2 Houblon Des Obeaux 50/1 - - No points as not on the list.

Anyone got these two winners in their list?
Last edited by Ashers on 29 Nov 2014, 17:35, edited 1 time in total.

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

Ashers wrote:Anyone got these two in their list?
:lol:

the_red_one

Post by the_red_one »

Hello all
I've got Irving and Many Clouds, but Hills have Irving down for 10 points, not 25 - they need to keep on top of these things or it will disintegrate further! The leaders probably have 73 points, and not 58 as stated; 3 horses gaining points at this stage. Too early for any real comments but, like I said, they will lose the plot completely for the future if they can't get their scoring right as per Irving et al!

Muddy
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Muddy »

Hi Sam,

I've entered my 5 teams into the mini-league, although they are all showing as having nil points at the moment despite one having Irving and one having Irving & Many Clouds. Hopefully this is because my entries were last minute.

I'd been abroad and through jet lag overslept on Saturday morning. Luckily a PPI cold call woke me up in time to just make the bookies by the 12.00 cut off.

I noticed that the first race from Fairyhouse on Saturday started at 11.55. Rule the World ran in the race and is in the competition but the race wouldn't have counted towards the competition due to being before noon. Possibly fortunately for any controversy he was just run out of first close home and so scored no points anyway.

My entries are MUDAHIM, AMLAH, CHUNITO, BADASTAN & ASTRAL CHARMER

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy Horse Racing”