To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

2018 McDonalds FIFA World Cup Fantasy

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by UEFA's or FIFA's official website e.g. Champions League and World Cup Fantasy Football
DAREEL
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Winner of FISO McDonald's Euro 2016 official . league. FPL player since the game began. Successful cash mini league player that usually ends up in profit

Re: 2018 McDonalds FIFA World Cup Fantasy

Post by DAREEL »

hayesag wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 14:59 like i said bag of shite game that cant get its launch off the ground (maybe the backers have pulled out last minute). How embarassing for anyone associated with that game. Dreamteam and co. laughing their heads off at this

Piss up and brewey spring to mind! :lol:
The game is out mate lol

zipnolan
Dumbledore
FS Record: Ex FISODAS champ; 2009 TFF 95th, MOTW and TFF cup qtr finalist, TFFO 78th, FPL 346th. And a lot of rubbish.

Post by zipnolan »

DAREEL wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 15:10
hayesag wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 14:59 like i said bag of shite game that cant get its launch off the ground (maybe the backers have pulled out last minute). How embarassing for anyone associated with that game. Dreamteam and co. laughing their heads off at this

The game is out mate lol
I can't find it anywhere....

DAREEL
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Winner of FISO McDonald's Euro 2016 official . league. FPL player since the game began. Successful cash mini league player that usually ends up in profit

Post by DAREEL »

zipnolan wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 15:20
DAREEL wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 15:10

The game is out mate lol
I can't find it anywhere....

https://fantasy.fifa.com/en/home

Fill ya boots

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

So, is it any good? Been away on a business trip and have seen nothing yet (haven't looked). Haven't decided whether to play WC Fantasy or not - it might be nice to have a break. Any advice from someone that's been into it all?

zipnolan
Dumbledore
FS Record: Ex FISODAS champ; 2009 TFF 95th, MOTW and TFF cup qtr finalist, TFFO 78th, FPL 346th. And a lot of rubbish.

Post by zipnolan »

Ruth_NZ wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 17:51 So, is it any good? Been away on a business trip and have seen nothing yet (haven't looked). Haven't decided whether to play WC Fantasy or not - it might be nice to have a break. Any advice from someone that's been into it all?
From my recollection the FIFA game is the one with the most testing prices. It's superficially like FPL, but has a different feel when you play it. By contrast the Sun has some very poor pricing, with one or two players (e.g. Werner) ludicrously cheap. Telegraph is the usual fare, with loads of transfers favouring block-shifting multi entrants, together with pin the tail on the right outfielder. I'm probably going to play them all, then realise I've overcommitted.

DAREEL
Grumpy Old Man

Post by DAREEL »

Anyone running or know of any cash leagues for this that I can join please?

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight
FS Record: Mediocre, apparently
13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Köln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Post by Smurphy Paw »

MoSe wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 13:18 Instead of short Gameweeeks playing over 2 or 3 days, in the group phase you only have 3 Rounds for gameweek, with each round spanning several matchdays (5 or 6; 4 for 3rd round) before all teams play in that round.
This led fifa allowing managers to manually change the Captain and the fielded XI, with someone who's yet to play in the round. Something you can't do in fpl, but we did in euro2016. And that significantly influences your XV team selection too (e.g., if Iran play early in the round, it's worth to pick them as cheap fodder, less so if they play in last match day in the round)
This was the key to success in 2014, especially in the Group Stages. The launch and rules were rushed last minute and poorly explained, but I got my head around the benefits from the outset and because of this did really well. By the later rounds it was less of a differential and loads of people there or thereabouts in the FISO league and overall had worked this out. Then I lost a lot of ground to a Netherlands block in the semis and couldn’t make it up in the Final, but in the FISO league I was well placed, and high ranking overall.
The key was to pick a few base priced players who play on ‘Day 1’ of the round (think GW). If they get a clean sheet or score points: keep them; If they bomb: substitute them for a premium player.
Ditto with the Captain. Have a Captain option for each ‘day’, and switch out ones who fail
(Quite what failure means depends on individual level of risk/tolerance).

The winner will probably/possibly be the one who gambles correctly and goes with the best block defence in the latter stages. Not really fair, it’s a gamble, but this is a short tournament not the marathon of a season.

This time the wildcards will need to be factored in. If I decide to play I’ll think through the logic of when and how to play these. To be honest, whilst I loved the format 4 years ago I think I need a break from running a team for a few more weeks* and might just watch as a football lover. Happy to chip in and comment on stuff though if I can help.

(* I can’t even write that without adding an asterisk and scribbling a caveat. I really could do with some more time away though!)

SP

zipnolan
Dumbledore

Post by zipnolan »

Excellent post, SP, and pretty much mirrors my experience. The whole business of being able to clear out detritus mid-way through a round is what differentiates this game from others. Now, just need my Racing Post preview to arrive tomorrow and I can start cherry-picking from those Saudi defenders....

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight

Post by Smurphy Paw »

Chips/Boosters
Clarification on use of multiple boosters in a single phase is important here. As stated above, the rules are unclear.
If anyone finds out or can offer clarity, it’ll make a difference to approach.

Bench Boost: With the ability to pick bench fodder in the early rounds and substitute in and out I suspect that this will be sub-optimal in the early rounds.
In the first round we are still unsure who will be in starting 11’s.
In the third group stage matches it can be cagey, depending what each team needs. Unless you happen to hold loads of players from teams who need either a high scoring game (attackers) or clean sheet (defenders).
Keeping an eye on the way the Tournament is shaping up, the second set of fixtures would, for me, be the option in the Group Stages. I think I’d prefer to use it later on though when all the squad will theoretically be better players, budget is increased, etc.
As for when, hmm, that’d be guess work at the moment. Round of 16 operates more like the Group Stage. Quarters do as well to an extent, so in both cases there are plenty of options to ditch poor performers.
Does that lead it to be used in the Semis or Final? Probably the Semis, because with (only) five transfers between the semis and the final there’s no guarantee of even having 15 playing players (because even though the 3rd/4th game is included that’s often like late season EPL/FPL in terms of rotation and giving the squad a game). If you do pick all 15 (12) from the winning quarter (semi) finalists and don’t need it, well done!
No real depth of thought there, I’m sure someone can improve on it.

Wildcard:
If you pick a ‘bad’ squad and it becomes clear that you’ll be out of contention by the end of the Group Stages, use it. Likewise with multiple injuries or suspensions.
If not, the pause between the Group Stages and the knock out stage is also a wildcard. That one is necessary, many of your cheaper players probably having being knocked out, so save the ‘proper’ wildcard.
I can see a lot of people needing it prior to the Quarters. I don’t know if that’s the best time, but there are only three free transfers allowed in that gap. As above, well done if you only have max three players knocked out, in which case you’re probably spoilt for choice.

Maximum Captain:
No idea. Clarity about the ability to use more than one chip per round would help. If only one can be used per round, a bit of research in to the average goals per game in early cf. later rounds of tournaments would presumably appeal to one or two of you. Not me, but I’d happily copy having nudged in that direction in the first place!

I can feel myself getting drawn in
*Must resist**Must resist*

Latic
FISO Knight
FS Record: Minor past glories. Back for 2021!

Post by Latic »

Can't get used to the squad view being the other way up. Keep thinking I'm playing two goalkeepers!

Anyone know if there's a printable player list knocking about? Couldn't find one.

quizking
Grumpy Old Man
Location: quizking towers, primrose hill; and running the shop at https://www.quizking.net/

Post by quizking »

Impressed by this game format - recall similar last time around, and challenging pricing for players; have already had to up my research on saudi and egyptian players to make budget. A shame that there's only one main prize, for a competition that will surely have millions of worldwide entrants, it's not that they are short of cash or sponsors.
For the few that might be interested, think this game is run not by the usual fpl game providers (http://www.ismltd.com/fantasy-games/) . but by a german based company neopoly, who ran the 2014 version, and also used to run the espn game. Don't know why they aren't allowed to link to their own site, but would assume rights/money is involved ....
https://www.neopoly.com/

bigcliff2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Rubbish

Post by bigcliff2 »

My initial feeling, which hasn't been given any real thought at all to be fair, is that the maximum captain thing would be best played in the final on the logic that it's the only time you only get one shot at picking a captain?

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Post by Beerfuelledman »

bigcliff2 wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 11:57 My initial feeling, which hasn't been given any real thought at all to be fair, is that the maximum captain thing would be best played in the final on the logic that it's the only time you only get one shot at picking a captain?
I thought Maximum Captain meant you didnt need to worry about picking the captain as the armnband went on the highest points scorer? And thus potentially better played when your players were facing Panama/Saudi Arabia/Iran - i.e. the group stages?
The Rooolz wrote: MAXIMUM CAPTAIN
This booster automatically makes the highest scoring player from your final playing 11 as the captain. This booster must be played prior to the start of the respective Round and it can be used only once during the tournament.

carver
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Top 50k last 4 seasons . Mr Consistent

Post by carver »

Initial chip thoughts

Bench boost - Rd of 16 unlimited transfers and teams will be known
Wildcard - either after rd 16 (only 3 free and theroitcally yo could be missing loads) or GW3 where lots of players could be rested that have already qualified.
Max captain - Maybe as Cliff said for the fina, becuase in all the other rounds you can change the captain each day

Jay P
Treebeard

Post by Jay P »

DAREEL wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 21:57 Anyone running or know of any cash leagues for this that I can join please?
This is the only one I know of:
https://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/46/s ... st53913612

Found any others?

DAREEL
Grumpy Old Man

Post by DAREEL »

Jay P wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 20:59
DAREEL wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 21:57 Anyone running or know of any cash leagues for this that I can join please?

Found any others?

Appreciated thanks for posting this :D I'm not a member on that site , do you need a post history?

I'm looking around I'll have another search round the internet and I'll let you know if I do. Surprised there isn't one here to be fair but it's been released late

Jay P
Treebeard

Post by Jay P »

DAREEL wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 21:06

Found any others?

Appreciated thanks for posting this :D I'm not a member on that site , do you need a post history?
Not too sure, I joined that forum like a decade ago and only recently went back to look for money leagues. If you do need min posts just post some random stuff in the football threads

DAREEL
Grumpy Old Man

Post by DAREEL »

Jay P wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 22:12
DAREEL wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 21:06

Found any others?

Not too sure, I joined that forum like a decade ago and only recently went back to look for money leagues. If you do need min posts just post some random stuff in the football threads

. I'm looking all over Reddit at moment and hammering google. I'll pm you if anything comes up.
Last edited by DAREEL on 09 Jun 2018, 13:20, edited 1 time in total.

bigcliff2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Rubbish

Post by bigcliff2 »

Beerfuelledman wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 12:52
bigcliff2 wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 11:57 My initial feeling, which hasn't been given any real thought at all to be fair, is that the maximum captain thing would be best played in the final on the logic that it's the only time you only get one shot at picking a captain?
I thought Maximum Captain meant you didnt need to worry about picking the captain as the armnband went on the highest points scorer? And thus potentially better played when your players were facing Panama/Saudi Arabia/Iran - i.e. the group stages?
This booster automatically makes the highest scoring player from your final playing 11 as the captain. This booster must be played prior to the start of the respective Round and it can be used only once during the tournament.
Yeah, so in the final, there's only one game, so by defaulting to your highest scorer you can't get it wrong. In the other rounds you get several shots at picking a good captain.

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight

Post by Smurphy Paw »

bigcliff2 wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 22:44
Yeah, so in the final, there's only one game, so by defaulting to your highest scorer you can't get it wrong. In the other rounds you get several shots at picking a good captain.
Yeah.

Erm, unless you don’t have the highest scorer(s) out of the Final and 3/4 Playoff in your 15 out of 44+subs
There’s merit in playing it in the last round, but don’t assume that it’s a shoe-in for a good score

Sport Billy
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 1st 2014 ESPN 6 Nations, 2nd 2015 Shaggy World Snooker: FPL Pontoon Champion 2014/15, 1st Euro 2016 Qualifiers predictor, 2nd 2015 FISO Superbru Golf Predictor

Post by Sport Billy »

Do we have a league here yet?

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Smurphy's Paw wrote:If I decide to play I’ll think through the logic of when and how to play these. To be honest, whilst I loved the format 4 years ago I think I need a break from running a team for a few more weeks and might just watch as a football lover.

Yeah, that's my decision too. Getting my head around the game and doing the research needed would be too much like hard work right now, plus I have some other things that are occupying my time. Suits me better to be able to enjoy the WC casually for the football rather than feeling that every game needs to be watched for the fantasy game. :)

TheBigLewandowski
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: OR 1,259 2016/17

Post by TheBigLewandowski »

Is there a FISO league for this?
Or any cash leagues on the go that anyone knows of?

zipnolan
Dumbledore

Post by zipnolan »

Maybe it’s me, but the interface isn’t working at all well on my iPad - when I try to transfer a player it lets me move one out, but then won’t let me replace him, telling me I have already got a full squad. Guess it’s back to the laptop for me....

carver
Grumpy Old Man

Post by carver »

zipnolan wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 16:19 Maybe it’s me, but the interface isn’t working at all well on my iPad - when I try to transfer a player it lets me move one out, but then won’t let me replace him, telling me I have already got a full squad. Guess it’s back to the laptop for me....
Couldn't get it to load at all on IPhone.

carver
Grumpy Old Man

Post by carver »

Ruth_NZ wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 11:28
Smurphy's Paw wrote:If I decide to play I’ll think through the logic of when and how to play these. To be honest, whilst I loved the format 4 years ago I think I need a break from running a team for a few more weeks and might just watch as a football lover.

Yeah, that's my decision too. Getting my head around the game and doing the research needed would be too much like hard work right now, plus I have some other things that are occupying my time. Suits me better to be able to enjoy the WC casually for the football rather than feeling that every game needs to be watched for the fantasy game. :)
Come on at least pinstick a squad and leave it... you will probably beat half the players still.

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight

Post by Beerfuelledman »

bigcliff2 wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 22:44
Thats an interesting way to look at it, I hadnt thought like that - but what if the final is decided by one goal (and you dont have that player :shock: ); is that the best use of the chip when in
Round 1 Argentina play Iceland, Belgium play Panama & England Play Tunisia -
Round 2 Uruguay play Saudi Arabia, Spain play Iran, Brazil play Costa Rica, Belgium play Tunisia & England play Panama
Round 3 etc but with rotation if qualified.
I had been looking to round 2 with the assumption there was more chance of a freak hat trick against weaker opposition, though the players one has may be a factor.

CptPugwash
Grumpy Old Man

Post by CptPugwash »

Chances are you should have a defender from both teams in the final - so if does finish 1-0 at the very worst you'll score double points for a cleanie.

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight

Post by Beerfuelledman »

CptPugwash wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 18:05 Chances are you should have a defender from both teams in the final - so if does finish 1-0 at the very worst you'll score double points for a cleanie.
Well yes, and the chances you'll have a defender getting a clean sheet in Round 2 are good also - so the chip scores you the same points "in the game" as it would have in the final. But a better chance of a defender also scoring against weaker opposition?

TheBigLewandowski
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: OR 1,259 2016/17

Post by TheBigLewandowski »

ACL Injury crisis in WC, yesterday Lanzini, now Fabra.... I feel sorry for them. From FPL perspective, Mojica will be good option at 4.5

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “UEFA.com & FIFA.com Fantasy Football”