To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

McDonalds UEFA.com game - Euro 2016 (chit chat thread)

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by UEFA's or FIFA's official website e.g. Champions League and World Cup Fantasy Football
Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Re: McDonalds UEFA.com game - Euro 2016 (chit chat thread)

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

Notned wrote:Haha, unlucky! If you got told it would be 2-0 before the game you'd have to have fancied him for at least an assist.
Yeah, true. Should have gone Griezmann though. He's the man in form. Locked in as captain now for the final. (Cue Payet brace.)

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

Considering going with a 4-3-3 for the final because of the paucity of options in midfield. Maybe something like...

Lloris
Cédric, Guerreiro, Koscielny, Sagna
Matuidi, Payet, Pogba
Giroud, Griezmann, Ronaldo

Transfers in bold. Nani has been great value for me, but swapping him for Ronaldo is probably a sensible move? Not sure funds will allow it but I can probably do something like Özil :arrow: Renato Sanches to free up funds, and maybe even play him over Matuidi.

redcanuck
FISOhead
FS Record: Sky sports Fantasy league Winner 2008-09

Post by redcanuck »

Stocked up on Germans, looks pretty bleak for the final.

Owsler
Dumbledore

Post by Owsler »

Will we get another 6 transfers?

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

Owsler wrote:Will we get another 6 transfers?
Yes.

Owsler
Dumbledore

Post by Owsler »

Cheers

MoSe
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISODAS CUP Winner Season 25
FISO H2H Winner: 15/16 Div2 - 16/17 Div1
FISO Mirror: 16/17 PL Winner

Post by MoSe »

Lloris
Koscielny Guerreiro
Payet R.Sanches
Giroud Nani
That's 7 players in the final
Provided they'll start, of course
This means I can bring on 4, and improve on 2 of the above 7

Bench will be useless, we'll be basically allowed to pick XI from the 22 starters, up to 8 fron one team.
Unless you'd want to gamble on a surprise bencher, or a regular subber-on.
Say, you start Quaresma, or Gignac (eurgh), who always come in, hoping they'll either open up a blocked game, equalise for the all-out chasers, or round up an already wide score. At the risk of just getting 1p cameo blocking the autosub of a good scoring starter who you left on bench

MoSe
Dumbledore

Post by MoSe »

Bob Newhart wrote:
MoSe wrote:
Bob Newhart wrote:
Maldini wrote:Wow. Shocking decision.
Revenge for Germany knocking Italy out last round?

Bordeline match fixing, I'd say.
Nothing personal BN, but your statement only proves how poor and prejudiced your judgement is
Not taking it personally, however you'll not be surprised to learn that I disagree with your assessment.

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

I can only assume you've never actually played football if you think that photo proves anything.

:roll:

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

He's not even looking at the ball. :lol:

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Re: RE: Re: McDonalds UEFA.com game - Euro 2016 (chit chat thread)

Post by liquidfootball2 »

MoSe wrote:
Bob Newhart wrote:
MoSe wrote:
Bob Newhart wrote:
Maldini wrote:Wow. Shocking decision.
Revenge for Germany knocking Italy out last round?

Bordeline match fixing, I'd say.
Nothing personal BN, but your statement only proves how poor and prejudiced your judgement is
Not taking it personally, however you'll not be surprised to learn that I disagree with your assessment.
It was headed onto his hand not tipped away as the ref thought, it was extremely harsh and went a long way to deciding the outcome as it gave them something to hang onto and increased their confidence at a crucial time. Taking nothing away from Griezmann who scored an extremely well taken second in a vastly improved second half display in which they easily held their own. That penalty was crucial and they were gifted it.

MoSe
Dumbledore

Post by MoSe »

I had intentionally only posted the photo abstaing from any comment, not to be smug, but indeed to avoid useless arguments and to leave anyone to draw his own conclusions
Maldini wrote:I can only assume you've never actually played football if you think that photo proves anything.

Of course only a tiny percentage of the million world audience actually played football at even amateurial club level,
but you don't need to have played to be able to understand the game rules and compare it with decades of watching football, and your knowledge about how the rules and their application have evolved over time

That the hand hit the ball is a fact
That the arm is stretched forward is a fact, and it's not congruous with the athletic gesture.
Of course swinging your arms can help you to jump, but any professional footballer should know that if you jump flailing your arms inside the box, you're susceptible to concede a penalty fault if you hit it, even beyond your conscious initial intentions.
The arm is stretched forward well beyond the reach of Schweini's head, and right close to the striker's head, and blocking the trajectory from his head to the goal.
Even if Schweini didn't start with the plan to hit the ball with the hand, it's as deliberate as if he did.

There's visual evidence, and there are opinions.
The action facts are visual evidence, and they are not matter of opinions.
The interpretation about how the matter of facts should be judged in football refereeing, could be a matter of opinions.
I happen to have a work colleague who DOES referee football in 4th tier (the top amateurial level, right below the 3 professional tiers).
He's adamant that not sanctioning that penalty would have been reprimanded by the referees governing body as a poor decision.

My opinion, is that I'm shocked that anybody can find the decision shocking :P

But I'm weathered enough to have learned that the world is full of people used to deny visual evidence for their own agenda,
presenting it as if a matter of facts was a matter of opinion, when it's blatantly not.

As i posted before, it's not personal to me, if anybody prides himself to be one of those, well, fine with me, no problem, whatever floats his boat...

EDIT
Maldini wrote:He's not even looking at the ball. :lol:
oh my, that's an abused, contrived, and pathetic argument ...in my very humble opinion of course :roll:
if that's the measure you go by, then I'm sorry but the fact you might have played professional football didn't help you make a significant contribution on this subject

1. it's obvious that he has shut his eyes in the imminence of the impact
his arm is stretched towards Evra's head to make opposition to him and/or the ball, he had his eyes well open when he started jumping and aimed his arm there

2. you don't need to be looking to commit a sanctionable handball foul
you don't need to have played to understand that
for instance, you might even jump inside the box with your back to the striker and the ball, flailing or stretching your arms wide
it doesn't matter then that you obviously wouldn't see the ball coming from your back: you're deliberately making obstacle to a possible shot using your arms, if you then happen to meet the ball it's an obvious foul regardless you're not looking at it

Always according to my referee colleague, the "not looking at the ball" is a lame and trite argument, typically invoked by a guilty player looking for an excuse (maybe that's indeed where firsthand playing experience comes handy ;) :P )

Maldini
Dumbledore

McDonalds UEFA.com game - Euro 2016 (chit chat thread)

Post by Maldini »

:shock:

You really need to get out more.

Who says FPL players are anoraks? :lol:

Schweinsteiger uses his arms to jump and challenge Evra, Evra glances it on to his arm.

Never seen a penalty.

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

Maldini wrote:I can only assume you've never actually played football if you think that photo proves anything.

And you don't understand the rules.
1. He stopped a shot on goal with his hand
2. He could not stop it without the use of his hand

It's a penalty, but the yellow card wasn't a correct decision because it did not look deliberate.

DAREEL
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Winner of FISO McDonald's Euro 2016 official . league. FPL player since the game began. Successful cash mini league player that usually ends up in profit

Post by DAREEL »

I'm just glad ze Germans are out..don't care how but justice for the azzuri :D

And if you want controversy klattenburg been given the final..a chance for him to make a competition that the whole of Europe is watching all about him..really hoping he fails miserably

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

gallus wrote:

It's a penalty, but the yellow card wasn't a correct decision because it did not look deliberate.
A shot on goal? Seriously?

You need to watch the game before chirping in fella.

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

Maldini wrote:
gallus wrote:

A shot on goal? Seriously?

You need to watch the game before chirping in fella.
Well I'm just a simple football fan, but when a player heads the ball towards an opponents goal I call that a shot.

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

Don't understand why posters are being so adamant. It was a soft penalty but certainly not an outrageous decision. The odds are that there was disagreement among those you were watching the game with, as there was amongst the TV studio pundits. It was highly subjective. I'd just about come down on the side of no penalty, but to be adamant either way is just silly in this particular case.

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

Alright enough about the penalty, let's talk about fantasy euro!

Here's my current team for the final:

I still have 2 FT but I'm not sure who to bring in. Maybe Matuidi or Joao Mario?

MoSe
Dumbledore

Re: RE: Re: McDonalds UEFA.com game - Euro 2016 (chit chat thread)

Post by MoSe »

gallus wrote:Alright enough about the penalty
tooo easy, and too late: I had the post already completely written :P
___
liquidfootball2 wrote:It was headed onto his hand not tipped away as the ref thought, it was extremely harsh
they were gifted it.
I don't know what the ref thought
at first from TV footage, despite clearly swhowing the hand impact, I had thoguth too at first that the german tipped it away first
then later in the evening I could get to see closer and bigger images, better selected after some time and research, showing that Evra had headed the ball on goal first

thast doesn't change matters
the arm should have never been there in the first place
it was stretched forward, and it blocked a shot on goal
little matters whether it was stretched forward to block the shot
you must NOT put it where it might block a shot, then if it does it's your fault, it's a handball foul

as I posted above before reading yours, I understand that
MoSe wrote:The interpretation about how the matter of facts should be judged in football refereeing, could be a matter of opinions.
In my opinion, that was a difficult call to spot, but upon review, a very good one
I don't want nor enjoy to play the contrarian at all costs, it might be that being in a foreign forum I come from a different footballing culture
But the penalty got gifted to France by Schweinsteiger, surely not by the ref

I googled it a bit, and of course there are those opposing the call, but without running a scientific survey, I got the feeling they were a minority

• http://thebiglead.com/2016/07/07/schwei ... lty-video/
    That was the correct call. It was hard luck for Schweinsteiger. He was also asking for it with his arm in an unnatural position. Huge mistake for the German stalwart.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/th ... 73b5f14da6
    The World Champions had dominated the vast majority of the first period but France were given a spot kick when Patrice Evra headed the ball into Schweinsteiger’s raised arm from point-blank range.
    Though there was no time for the German midfielder to move his hand away after Evra’s header, the number seven shouldn’t have had his arm in that position to begin with.

http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/story/f ... ule-070716
    France vs. Germany was decided by the awful handball rule
    The rule makes no sense so everyone just has to guess
    So going back to the handball — was it the right call?
    It's basically impossible to answer. And that's not just a way to let the referee off the hook because it was a close call that happened really quickly and took multiple replays to decipher what actually happened. It's a statement on the still-incomprehensible handball rules.
    In conclusion, the handball rule is (still) awful and leaves everything open to a bunch of interpretation without any definitive answer. That's not great for a rule that is central to the sport and completely changes matches, like a Euro semifinal.
    To say it's long past time to sort out the handball rule -- you know, so people actually know what a handball is -- would be exceedingly kind.

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comment ... _incident/

Except in England :mrgreen:
    Even there, you have different PoVs
    http://metro.co.uk/2016/07/07/was-it-a- ... l-5993466/
    So was it a penalty?
    The BBC’s analysts were split. Alan Shearer asked: ‘I thought the law was deliberate handball?’ before going on to explain: ‘He’s gone there to protect his face’ before concluding: ‘I think it’s a harsh decision.’
    However Rio Ferdinand and Thierry Henry were in agreement that a penalty was the right call. ‘I think it’s definitely a penalty’ said the former

1st, I think Shearer is a deliberate liar. Protect his face??? Even Maldini ;) didn't dare to claim such false and absurd excuse :roll:
    then the online poll so far has metro.co.uk readers agree 53% with him, and 35% with Rio in favor of the call
    but in The Guardian article
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ce-penalty
    The internet was quickly ablaze with conspiracy theorists and the usual outraged brigade. Then, after numerous replays had been shown, people split into two camps; those who believe the “deliberate” handball rule should be enforced verbatim (such as Alan Shearer) and those who take the predominant view of referees that a penalty or free-kick should be awarded when a player’s hands or arms are in an unnatural position (such as Thierry Henry but, ahem, that’s Thierry Henry).
    A quick totting up of the many emails I received from readers in relation to the penalty during the Guardian’s minute-by-minute report of the semi-final shows there was roughly a 60-40 split in favour of Rizzoli’s decision being the correct one. It’s hardly a scientific poll, but it’s probably pretty accurate and points towards more people tending to side with the officials’ interpretation of the rule rather than the actual wording...
    The view of most people is that he was punished rightly for being caught out of position and had to jump at the ball like a low-rent Superman to get his head anywhere near it. That it hit his hand was probably not intentional but denied Patrice Evra from being rewarded for timing his leap and positioning his body much better than the Germany midfielder did. But that is not written in the rules.
You see I'm no taleban here, nor disrespectful of other PoVs if expressed in a civil way and attempting to make at least two of your own neurons connect :P
I accept that "Schweinsteiger uses his arms to jump and challenge Evra". But he did so in the wrong way: deliberately challenging in a way that could block an eventual shot, devoids you of the right to play the glanced innocent sissy act
Same did Boateng with his absurd volley roof-block raised arms challenge vs Chiellini... "I didn't 'deliberately' hit the ball. That's why I needlessly put my arms where they can effectively make the widest obstacle to any header towards the goal, and even any accidental deflection, hopefully intercepting it while I can plead innocent" :roll: :roll:

In summary, in my opinion,
If there was a "Best Ref Call" award as there is a "Best Goal" one, I'd honestly and seriously vote for this one

MoSe
Dumbledore

Post by MoSe »

Maldini wrote::shock:
I posted this from work.
I did it indeed to try evading its duties by exchanging Euro football opinions, as I can't just "get out" of it :P

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

Well now that I know Shearer thinks it wasn't a penalty I'm 100% convinced it was. :P

Damn... Mose you made me post about the penalty again!

cesc408
Grumpy Old Man

Post by cesc408 »

This is surely where every team is almost the same. Great if tour high up your leagues/in rank

Lloris
Sagna Kos Cedric Raphael
Pogba Payet Sanchez
Griezmann Giroud Ronaldo

Maybe Fonte instead of either Portuguese defender for some.

thebillfella
FISO Knight
FS Record: 6th FPL 19/20; 1st TFF StartXI 14/15; 8th TFFE11; 18th TFFE12; 1st FISO TFFE11&12; 1st FISO Full Draft 12/13,14/15,19/20,20/21; 1st Block14/15; 1st 5ASChampLge 12/13; 1st TFF Super614/15; 1st Spring17; 1st FISO Div Premx6, Cup, Mirror,Prem&H2H Champ 19/20

Re: RE: McDonalds UEFA.com game - Euro 2016 (chit chat thread)

Post by thebillfella »

Maldini wrote::shock:

Who says FPL players are anoraks? Image

Schweinsteiger uses his arms to jump and challenge Evra, Evra glances it on to his arm.

Never seen a penalty.
Image Really? I'm totally with MoSe on this one. He knew exactly what he was doing.

That is not a natural jump / leverage - he is putting his hand up to put the attacker off and is equivalent to a defender doing a star jump in front of a shot to make himself big and gain an unfair advantage by reducing the shooting options the attacker has. He's not moving his hand towards the ball - he's positioning it ready for a preferred ball position.

He may not have "intended" to handball it per say but he did "intend" to put the attacker off by putting his hand in the way and took the gamble that if it did hit his hand it falls into that grey area subject to ref interpretation. Like a professional foul but with the interpretation get out of jail card.

Maybe the rules need tightening to make any handball where the arm is in such an unnatural position to be intrrpreted as deliberate. But as somebody who played to reasonably decent level (IMO!) I'm telling you that jumping to head a ball clear while trying to look like an elephant is not natural / normal!!!

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

Fully agree with MoSe and thebillfella. Pen all day long for me, and brilliantly spotted by the referee.

hander
Kevin and Perry

Post by hander »

Lots of us need to make up some points and picking the same team as the current leader won't achieve that.

Let's discuss some more leftfield picks e.g. someone who might not start but might come on and nick a goal.

I'll start off: Martial?

thebillfella
FISO Knight
FS Record: 6th FPL 19/20; 1st TFF StartXI 14/15; 8th TFFE11; 18th TFFE12; 1st FISO TFFE11&12; 1st FISO Full Draft 12/13,14/15,19/20,20/21; 1st Block14/15; 1st 5ASChampLge 12/13; 1st TFF Super614/15; 1st Spring17; 1st FISO Div Premx6, Cup, Mirror,Prem&H2H Champ 19/20

Post by thebillfella »

Not come on much. Guess you're looking for this tournament's Bierhoff? Gignac has come off the bench more than Martial and looked useful when on.

If completely going against the grain what about Nani oop?

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

hander wrote:Lots of us need to make up some points and picking the same team as the current leader won't achieve that.

Let's discuss some more leftfield picks e.g. someone who might not start but might come on and nick a goal.

I'll start off: Martial?
Gignac and Quaresma.

But if you're looking for a differential you shouldn't be chasing goals. I don't think there will be more than 2 or 3 goals in the game, so even if you had all goal scorers in your team and your rival had none (what are the odds?) you'd only gain around 12 points. Your chances are close to zero and reward is not that high.

Instead I suggest a block defence, and by block I mean a keeper and 5 defenders from the same team, with one of the defenders as captain. Your average player will have 2-3 defenders from one team, so with 6 + captain you have 4-5 defenders more than him! That's 16-20 points right there, and clean sheet odds are not that low, only around 1/3! You just have to pick the right team for your block. :wink:

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

gallus wrote:You just have to pick the right team for your block. :wink:
Well yes, unless both of them keep a clean sheet. :wink:

Mo Bot
Dumbledore
FS Record: Inaugural Last Man Standing. FISO Fantasy Eurovision champ 2012. World #1 in UFPL for a whole week

Post by Mo Bot »

Pirlo's Beard wrote:
gallus wrote:You just have to pick the right team for your block. :wink:
Well yes, unless both of them keep a clean sheet. :wink:
In which case a back 5 is essential in a 5-4-1 formation with Lloris/Patricio (c)

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “UEFA.com & FIFA.com Fantasy Football”