To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Premier League Preview (Gameweek 23)

A forum for Totel Football - the weekly tote-style fantasy football game
Totelfootball
Treebeard

Premier League Preview (Gameweek 23)

Post by Totelfootball »

£39m has been spent to date in the January transfer window. No huge surprises that Man City were the big spenders. They signed Serbian striker Dzeko on a 4 1/2 year deal for a fee of £27m from Wolfsburg. City’s new number ten said at his official unveiling: “I hear a lot about the fans and that most of the people from Manchester are Manchester City fans.” This will certainly endear him to City fans, but will surely irk some of his neighbours.

The other main moves to date :
- Kyle Walker to Aston Villa
- Bongani Khumalo to Tottenham
- Wayne Bridge to West Ham
- David Bentley to Birmingham
- Steve Sidwell to Fulham
- Yakubu ex Everton

Most of the transfer headlines over the past weeks were captured by club managers. Liverpool welcomed Dalglish back after a 20 year break. Kenny is realistic about his prospects at the club. ‘Let’s just start walking before we run’ he commented during a recent interview. His focus must be on convincing the club’s key players (Torres, Gerard, Reina) that there is potential for the club to recapture some of its former glory days.

Indeed there may be other casualties who follow Hodgson over the next while. Avram Grant and Carlo Ancelotti will need to see performance improvements from their teams fast, or they’ll likely suffer the same fate.
Looking ahead to this week-end’s games…

6 games on Saturday including the West Ham v Arsenal game on ESPN. Arsenal are likely to tear them to shreds. Take your pick of Walcott, Nasri, Fabregas, Van Persie to go mad. They’re sure to make for an interesting evening’s football.
I suspect that Chelsea’s 7-0 win over Ipswich might signal a turn of their fortunes. I’d fancy them to shut out Blackburn at the Bridge, so I’d suggest that you load up with Chelsea defenders.

Wolves have turned over Chelsea and Liverpool over the past weeks. I can’t see them doing it to Man City. Dzeko will make his debut agains Wolves this week-end. Given his record in the Bundesliga, I would not fancy Hennessey’s chances of keeping a clean sheet if he gels with Tevez.

In Saturday’s other games, I like Odemwengie against Blackpool. He trained mid-week so should figure. I also think that Stoke can beat Bolton, so Etherington and Jones can do well.

On Sunday Liverpool welcome Everton to Anfield. There will be an added bite to this Merseyside Derby as both teams sit on 25 points, just 4 clear of the drop zone. Tensions are sure to flare, so I’d avoid any players who have a tendency to pick up cards. There’s been 5 sent off in the last 7 games. Liverpool start as favourites for the game but given their defensive frailties against Blackpool mid-week I’d consider Everton players more likely to perform and would pick Coleman and Baines & hope for a shut-out.

The highlight of the week-end is Utd’s trip to Tottenham live on Sky. Giggs makes his 600th league appearance for United, a remarkable feat. Spurs have a dreadful record in the fixture, not winning any of their last 23 games. They’ll be hoping to end this streak this week-end. There are slight doubts over van der Sar, Vidic & Rooney while Tottenham will have to assess Bale’s fitness. He’s had some back problems but should figure.

This weekend’s competition kicks off as always at 3pm on Saturday so don’t waste time. Get your bets on now at TotelFootball.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Totel Football”