To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Rootin' for Joe etc...

A Forum for Fans of Fantasy Cricket Games
ooozzzie
Grumpy Old Man

Re: Rootin' for Joe etc...

Post by ooozzzie »

Great day again yesterday, it got a lot warmer in the afternoon, as the sun came out. I had a seat yesterday which was nice in the shade sat there quite comfortable, and enjoyed the game. Atmosphere built nicely. I have to say that fantastic credit to both sets of fans the atmosphere stayed really friendly all day, no idiots about, which is amazing considering the amount of beer that was drunk and the sunshine and the packed crowds. Yes there was a streaker but it was a bit of fun.

So the selectors have a problem, because looks like Bairstow is going to be fit soon, he was out and about all day. Can they drop Foakes? He has played so well. He got a massive applause for his 100, whole ground standing, it was the moment of the day.

I have a members ticket for Day 3!! Don't ask. I think I can go everywhere, right by the players gate to the field, and get a spot of lunch. On day 4, I have got a standing ticket
but you can just walk round and take a spare seat without a number on it. Once you are in the stadium, you can walk around the whole public area and really you can sit in a seat
if it hasn't got a number on it, and there were a couple of hundred of those. My ticket yesterday had a number on it, but no seat had that number, and the guy said sit anywhere
you want. But no-one checked my ticket all day. A few Sri Lankans sat down down after lunch knowing the score. So day 4 I will do that.

It rained a little bit last night, but not a lot, I think the forecast is ok, but it does change so quickly, lets hope we get a result because the 1st two day, and the magnificent crowds
deserve a conclusion. England to get a 400 lead (maybe 350, but think 400 myself) and they should win.

There a remembrance service up on the Fort on Sunday at 11am, which is being organised by one of the tour groups but anyone can go. Nice idea.

Going up to Kandy by car with another couple of lads, we are just getting the best deal sorted, looks like 1st class train is booked up, and 2nd class looks like you could end
up standing, and I don't fancy that.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Post by liquidfootball2 »

Thank you so much for that ooozzzie, excellent again. I really enjoy reading your regular daily updates.

It's always interesting to read about your experiences, as actually being out there, including all the logistics of travel and booking, even if it's only finding a seat in the ground. It all just adds a little bit of colour to those of us who can only follow here at home on the television or radio and gives a truer picture of just how friendly and good natured the atmosphere is out there.

ooozzzie
Grumpy Old Man

Post by ooozzzie »

My pleasure, just checking the weather at 7.30 which is only 2 1/2 hours to start of play, its very overcast, pretty similar to day one. I am taking my best camera today so hope to get some good shots.

Ducks Deluxe
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Ducks Deluxe »

Again,great stuff Ooozzzie...our own man on the spot!I hope you have more fine entertainment today..on and off the field of play... :wink:

DD.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Keaton Jennings and the top order have swept England into an impregnable position and they are now in complete control.

Another good decision from the selectors, knowing how well Jennings plays spin, to persevere with him for this series, he's now 98* and closing in on a century to add to his much needed 40 plus top order runs first time round.

A mention too for Ben Stokes, another top order batsman who came to the party, some really fine and selective hitting after a very cautious and circumspect start.

The pitch is beginning to wear under the hot sun and some have turned sharply, but the defensive fields Sri Lanka are now setting mean there's noone there to catch or put pressure on anyway.

All looking nice and rosy in England's garden except for that thorny number three problem. Ali showed once again that he's not the answer. Perhaps Stokes, Buttler, Bairstow or even Root himself maybe.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Well done Keaton Jennings, a quality test innings, he showed lot of patience and now has his second test century. 

Has he used the sweep more than any other centurion? Certainly his go to shot, but has shown character and grit out there when under intense pressure too.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

England have an absolutely outstanding chance of winning this test match and thoroughly deserve to be in that position too.

A very minor point is that that declaration perhaps wasn't the best idea and totally unnecessary for me. It has given Sri Lanka the incentive to bat out the final two days and if by some miracle they achieved it, to also gain the most remarkable of victories. It's extremely unlikely veering on the impossible of course and only the tiniest of openings, but a totally unnecessary and undeserved chance.

Another hour of batting tomorrow morning and another hour of sun could have only been better for England and batting on was surely the better option.

As it is, it should only really take less than a day to bowl them out, but with the fifth day forecast being the best and in reserve, it surely made sense to bat on. Although such a situation is very rare, it could just be the case that moving the game on with a declaration today was for once possibly not in England's best interests. In all likelihood it won't make the slightest difference anyway and a win will be achieved some time tomorrow.

However, even if it rained all day tomorrow they could have declared before the fifth day with nothing lost.

Root has been caught out once before with a declaration, everyone said then the opposition had no chance too, but England have a habit of setting unwanted records after declarations. 2008 in Chennai and 1984 Gower's infamous one the most notorious.

This is but the tiniest of quibbles though and only my view anyway. What can be universally acknowledged is that this has been a nigh on perfect past two days for England, indeed almost perfection since lunch on day one, and without any really adverse weather, they will more than likely take the ten wickets tomorrow and claim a much deserved series lead.

ooozzzie
Grumpy Old Man

Post by ooozzzie »

Well it was a long day, a few moans that they didn't crack on a bit more, but that was because they have so much time left. Not everyone was moaning far from it, the idea is to win, and it was a lot hotter yesterday I think they were surviving out there. Jennings batting all day a tremendous effort. I thought the timing of the declaration was ok myself, just a strange thing to do send Sam Curran out for one ball. A wicket takes a while to play out, no one rushing around, its time to stand up and have a stretch in the heat, and the over rate is ok so losing that time was a bit daft, then of course quite rightly there was a guard of honour for Herath. Everyone stood up, nice moment. Had we declared straight after Foakes getting out, who did crack on a bit, then we would have at least 2 more overs. I think waiting to one hour today would be risky, mainly because of the weather. A stat going round is that the highest ever successful run chase at Galle is 99, but there hasn't been that many tests and no-one knows what the unsuccessful highest number is lol.

I had a great seat yesterday in the Galle Cricket Club of which I was member for the day. Its old pavilion building and its a grand place to sit and watch. They had a band playing upstairs on the veranda which everyone can hear if you walk past the building from behind. They also cook a huge BBQ is very cheap Chicken Chips and Salad for £3.10 and a large can of beer for £2.20 so very fair indeed. So good to be sat in the shade again with a good view.

Now we have a bit of a problem, because at about 8pm last night it pissed it down, and rained, and rained, and rained. Looking out the window
this morning at 6.30am it is very low clouds, mirky, and not looking good at all. It might clear up as the morning goes on, but equally it might
not. I don't expect the local groundsman will be running around very quickly, the people here are cricket mad, they all support the team, know
whats going on, and they still want to win! Obviously is pretty unlikely, if not impossible, but they could get a draw, so say no more! So not sure we
will get that hour anyway, and had England not declared before the end of play, they would have been forced to overnight.

I took my camera yesterday and was pleased with results, haven't had a chance to sort them out yet here is a couple I tweeted

Joe Root getting an edge and being caught behind.

https://twitter.com/LegB4Cricket/status ... 6135960576

Stokes and Jennings

https://twitter.com/LegB4Cricket/status ... 9903091712

Flags and fans everywhere

https://twitter.com/LegB4Cricket/status ... 6451877888
Last edited by ooozzzie on 09 Nov 2018, 02:55, edited 1 time in total.

Ducks Deluxe
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Ducks Deluxe »

Hello Ooozzzie...More brilliant,atmospheric writing...I almost feel that I am there with you...where are we sitting this morning?

V good photos...although I am getting the Root one twice...but then I am a techno plonker!😕

DD...

P.S....I have found the missing photo on your own site!

ooozzzie
Grumpy Old Man

Post by ooozzzie »

Hi DD, I have corrected the link, thanks. I have a standing ticket to get in today, but I know how to get a seat no problem. I might be able to get into the Galle Cricket Club again. The weather has improved a bit, but I don't think we are going to get a full days play today. No idea how the pitch survived the deluge last night and no idea if or how much rain we will get today. Plenty of bars though.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Excellent again ooozzzie, what photos too, hope you've wandered around and taken a seat and a cunning plan not even needed. Good mornings work for England and hopefully all the more enjoyable for that.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

England win the test, Sri Lanka all out for 250, 8 wickets for the three spinners with Moeen again taking four, Stokes and a run out the other two 

211 the winning margin

Magnificent performance, almost completely dominant throughout the entire game.

Sri Lanka started favourites but were absolutely outplayed in all departments

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

A word on Rangana Herath,

It wasn't the perfect way to leave the scene but he was truly one of Sri Lanka's all time top cricketers and perhaps the last of a special generation. Sangakkara, Murali, Malinga, Jayawardene, Jayasuriya and Chaminda Vaas have all gone and now Rangana too, these are tough times for Sri Lanka with only Angelo Matthews left to soldier on.

As a spinner he was always a first class performer but was perhaps eclipsed by the great Murali for much of his career, almost playing second fiddle hence the relatively low number of tests.

Even so the man has been a phenomenon and has almost single handedly carried their spin department for many years and highly successfully too, not least in Galle which is his spiritual home. At forty the body is creaking and he's having to call it a day.

Another great leaves the stage but will be remembered by many grateful cricket followers.
Last edited by liquidfootball2 on 09 Nov 2018, 13:49, edited 1 time in total.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

England review

Save for the first session of the match, that was an excellent performance from England.

Two or Three players will grab the headlines, but I thought everybody gave a positive performance...

Keaton Jennings made an excellent hundred.
Rory Burns looked good, despite not going on and finding 'strange-ish' ways to get out (a strangle and a run out).
Moeen Ali, bowled fantastically, taking 40% of the wickets - I would move him from 3 though (Stokes would be my next cab off the rank - unless they insist on recalling Bairstow, in which case he could be an answer)
Joe Root, hardly made a run, but captained very well, in my opinion.
Ben Stokes, made handy contributions with both bat and ball as well as run outs and catches, fields in that crucial first slip position to the spinners too.
Jos Buttler, helped rebuild in the first innings and took a couple of decent catches.
Ben Foakes, fantastic hundred that changed the game and kept wicket very well, conceding 0 byes (no mean feat in the subcontinent)
Sam Curran, batted really well first innings and took a new ball wicket.
Adil Rashid, chipped in with some wickets and played a nice cameo with the bat.
Jack Leach, bowled very nicely in both innings, clogged up an end, kept things tight and took a few wickets.
James Anderson, took a new ball wicket with the first and bowled accurately in the second innings.

It might not have been the Galle we've come to expect over the years, but England adapted to the conditions and outplayed Sri Lanka in every facet of the game.

Selection will be interesting for the next test, as it's going to be harsh on whoever makes way, however England have shown in the recent past they're not afraid to make the tough calls (eg leaving out Sam Curran at Trent Bridge in the summer).

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

A hugely difficult selection meeting coming up for the second test in Pallakele starting on Wednesday.

Foakes is undroppable after being named man of the match on his debut and having an absolutely exceptional game with both with the bat and the gloves, leaving a fit again Jonny Bairstow having to accept he will not be keeping wicket for a while.

Bairstow's best hope is that a space will open up in the middle order with perhaps Ben Stokes or Jos Buttler taking over at three and Ali slipping down to six.

Both Ben Stokes and Jos Buttler are certainties for the next test after their contributions in this one and are now also undroppable.

This only really leaves Bairstow's chances of playing totally dependent on only playing two spinners rather than the three. However the three spinners took sixteen wickets between them in the game and Root handled them all well. Moeen Ali and Jack Leach look absolutely secure for the next few tests which possibly leaves a choice between Bairstow and Rashid for that last place.

The policy of three spinners on this surface worked to perfection and it could be a mistake to change a winning formula. A lot depends on the Pallekele wicket, it usually offers a bit more bounce early on before dying on days 4 and 5 (Russell Arnold) and so again could suit the same seam spin balance we had here.

There is a small chance Sam Curran could make way for Jonny too, if the wicket looked dead, it would be incredibly tough on Curran who again has performed past expectations but he only bowled a few overs and batting isn't his primary job. Then again Bairstow has probably earned the right to come straight back in so something has to give and someone is going to be mightily unfortunate, i suspect it will be Bairstow who will have to wait.

I can't see them dropping either opener, Burns after one test and unlucky dismissals or Jennings who made over 200 runs, so it really does look as if Jonny may have to bide his time.

Stuart Broad is also pushing for a place and this possibly could be for Jimmy, the rotation possibly dependent on how Jimmy feels about playing back to back tests.

I would envisage exactly the same side again with only a possible shift in the batting order to let Ali move down to six, although even this is dependent on another putting his hand up to go three. If Joe won't bat there it has to be Stokes or Buttler, there is no other option unless Moeen is willing to sacrifice his wicket again.

With the slight bit of extra pace and bounce at Pallekele there maybe a chance of an extra seamer (Broad or Stone, or even Woakes to keep the batting strong too) for Rashid, it will very much depend on the look of the wicket they prepare.

ooozzzie
Grumpy Old Man

Post by ooozzzie »

Great summing up Liquid can't add a lot to that. The fears on the weather were nothing to worry about in the end, amazing how it dried out in time for play
at 10am, And it was nice day again. All 4 days was good weather, a few walking around with a bit of sunburn. I did get back into the Galle Cricket Club and sat in the shade. One 4, came zooming over the boundary, like an exocet missile and crashed into the wooden seat in front of me, no way I could stop or catch it. It then bounced off the chair and went left still travelling very fast, and only just missed everyone sat in that row. A few minutes before a little boy was sat in the chair............jeepers.

Then at the end we had the streaker, got a good photo of him, no word of a lie he must have 30 police chasing him, and he got caught, and it was like a rugby scrum they all dived on top. He came out, handcuffed and was frog marched along the boundary with 15 policemen. Not a nice night for him, he looked a bit
scared. I got a good photo, but this video is better https://twitter.com/nibraz88cricket/sta ... 7814729728

Well a good win for England yes they have selection problem, Bairstow is fit without any doubts, he was training at lunch and boy he is fast, and the others
couldn't keep up with him. So the most talked about selection is that Buttler will be the one to lose his place to Bairstow. The other issue, do they move
everyone up a place and slot Ali back after Stokes. Bairstow isn't a number 3 either, but probably better than Ali. It should be Root at 3. I know he doesn't like
it, but he is best batsman that we have to play at number 3. I am pretty sure that they will stay with 3 spin option, it is deceiving with all the clouds about,
it is still very hot, 29 degrees and humid, so the most popular opinion seems to be a straight swap Bairstow for Buttler.

I am staying here until Tuesday, travelling up to Kandy by car Tuesday morning, pick up tickets in the afternoon. Game on Wednesday.
Last edited by ooozzzie on 10 Nov 2018, 01:21, edited 1 time in total.

Ducks Deluxe
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Ducks Deluxe »

All great,Ooozzzie...Glad that neither you nor the lad got hit...

I'm already looking forward to Wednesday..

DD... :)

ooozzzie
Grumpy Old Man

Post by ooozzzie »

Cheers DD, He was only about 3, i shudder to think.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

It's been a real bonus to have our correspondent's reports on a daily basis Ooozzzie, excellent stuff and those photo's were amazing.

It was peculiar how it always seemed to rain in the evening or night and luckily not affect the play, those whole ground tarpaulins must be so effective. I hadn't really thought of Buttler making way as he made 83 runs, and those 38 first innings runs started the recovery after lunch and, together with our hero Ben Foakes, really reset the innings by batting with the correct tone and tempo. He also had a very good summer but then again someone deserving will possibly miss out, who really knows?

I hope everything goes well for you ooozzzie on your journey to Kandy, i'm sure you'll enjoy the sightseeing in between. Keep that rain away!

ooozzzie
Grumpy Old Man

Post by ooozzzie »

Cheers for that, Well the latest is, moving Stokes to 3, and not playing Bairstow. That 3 is a real problem. That is good gen, but they haven't decided yet apparently. As you say, Buttler did well enough, and is it fair to drop anyone? He will get back in, but might have to wait. But as I say, no final decision yet.

Weather looks good again today, I think its a bit different up the hills in Kandy, but hopefully any rain will be in the evening, I think if we get 5 hours play a day that will be enough. It is getting towards the end of the monsoon season, so fingers crossed it is improving by the day naturally.

The main question in the bars is "Are you going to Kandy?" and I think its about 1/3 are and 2/3 are not.
The ground is bigger, so I think it won't be anywhere near full. A lot have taken a holiday in Galle and gone to the Cricket and gone home again. Which is fair enough it is a lovely place. Beach for me today. Watch the football later. In the bar last night, they couldn't get the Rugby on the TV but I had it on my phone, good picture as well, got a few drinks bought me. It was fun with about 20 crammed round my phone :lol:

Oh the word is, the streaker got a £250 fine....lucky boy if that is correct.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Thanks once again Ooozzzie, it's always good to know what the feeling is from those who are actually there and more likely to hear the whispers, good information. That does somehow seem far more likely to me too judging from afar of course, possibly Stokes at 3 then - the media men usually get an inkling on what's happening and I'll post anything that seems to be more than just speculation.

Good to hear you're enjoying yourself and making the most of Galle and the weather improving is a real bonus. It was marvellous to see so many supporting our team, how many would you estimate? Possibly six to ten thousand? Even a third of those in Kandy will be a significant number.

In the Rugby, it was an extremely encouraging performance from Eddie Jones' men against the all blacks too, although they would have been right to feel aggrieved with that late offside decision according to more than a few decent judges, former World Cup ref Jonothan Kaplan included. Good to see our coach be so philosophical about it, accepting it as the best decision by the man best equipped to make it, no moaning at all.

(I posted Kaplan's opinion in the rugby discussion thread in the sports talk (not including football) section of fiso )

Back to Bairstow...

Bairstow will bide his time and be back for the West Indies anyway when we're highly unlikely to play all three spinners.

Stokes also faces a disciplinary panel before then - December (They seem to have sidestepped the fact that he was effectively out for the last iconic ashes series, a huge punishment, now they're saying he wasn't banned just not picked so they can legally ban him again, ludicrous but legal - not something the Aussies would do, Smith Warner etc will all be back in time)

If we win the second test to take the series, they'll probably change the side and Jonny will be back in, but even so, the edge you need at this level and the extra bit of motivation will be gone when it doesn't matter at all and it's a largely superflous third test and in effect a dead game. We saw similar at the end of the ODI's, lots of changes and understandably with nothing to play for, little motivation.

Conversely Sri Lanka have showed that they take these totally meaningless ones as really important, reserving their very best efforts for them :D . - I'm not being totally serious but would expect something similar here if it was 2-0.

Usually the series awards and team winners trophies are awarded to the series winners against the backdrop of a completely meaningless and heavy defeat in the last dead match, one they didn't really care a jot about anyway.

Its a senseless practice that should have been changed long ago especially for the winners trophy, but it's still the case so may happen once more. Give the winners the trophy after they've won it, not after they've lost a dead game is my opinion.

ooozzzie
Grumpy Old Man

Post by ooozzzie »

Yep totally agree with that, if they do keep the same team and they should, then Bairstow won't have too long to wait. But we never really know if a player is ill or gets a knock. Quite a few tummy bugs around, 4 lads in hotel near mine, are really ill, and one has gone home a day early. One spent 2 hours in a porto loo at the ground, omg. The other 3 fly home tonight. And there is minibus of 11 scousers male and female going up to Kandy tomorrow and about 6 of them are not that well. omg again :shock:

Interesting about the attendance, one website says capacity is 18,000 another says 35,000, well there was no where near that figure, but it was sold out, and was full. But I reckon about 4,000 its about the same size as Worcester or perhaps a bit bigger. Would be interested to find out, its was 9/10 English fans that is correct.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Trevor Bayliss suggests it will be Jos Buttler or Ben Stokes at three.

"Moeen has had a few opportunities, let's be honest, up the order, and at this stage hasn't really taken them," Bayliss said. "He's obviously going to be in the team somewhere. And there's still a chance he'll bat at No. 3 in Kandy, but I think he's had the most success in that middle-lower order.

"He sees himself as a batter first and a bowler second. And yes, he's been a guy we have thrown around a little bit. That's sometimes the lot of an all-rounder in the team. But he has had the most success in that middle-lower order and we're starting to get a little closer to a stable order.

"Everyone knows my thoughts on the captain batting at three. But Buttler and Stokes are quite capable of batting there. It'll be a bit of a discussion and we'll sit down with those two as well.

"In the Galle Test, if we had bowled first and Moeen had bowled 40 overs, Buttler was going to bat at No 3. Jonny Bairstow is an option and Ben Stokes as well. We feel, in England, that Stokes has as good a technique as anyone else to bat No 3. So we'll sit down with Buttler and Stokes. They are quite capable of batting there."

ooozzzie
Grumpy Old Man

Post by ooozzzie »

Yes all the newspaper are reporting Buttler happy to be flexible and bat at 3. The other possibility now is that Kandy could be cooler and may suit another seamer, and it could be that we lose a spinner, probably Leach, who would be very unlucky, and Broad or Stone could get a game. But reading around its all guess work. Some saying no change apart from Buttler at 3. Some saying 1 change is possible because of the different conditions. Soon find out. I take the 3 to 4 hour drive up in the morning. Hopefully in hotel by 1 and try and pick up tickets at the old ground in the afternoon. If not will pick them up Wednesday morning at the new ground as its 35 to 40 mins drive away, which is going to be interesting shipping out all the fans from Kandy to Pallekelle every morning and evening.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

We need you there Ooozzzie, those reports are priceless.

Personally i suspect the same team is likely from what I've heard/read, with Buttler at three and Ali at six as it's possibly asking too much for Stokes to double up as one of the main seamers and bat at three.

Stokes is certainly more than capable of doing both but it will more likely be on the West Indies leg, if he's not banned, when there will definitely be an extra seam option.

Burns, Jennings, Buttler, Root, Stokes, Ali, Foakes, Curran, Rashid, Leach, Anderson

Source cricinfo - after observing training their correspondent pretty much hints this is now more than likely

Root has two main jobs

One the most crucial:- Win his seventh toss in a row

Two:- Bat as the match demands, although perversely considering the pitch they've prepared, going for it in one day style, as in the last test first innings collapse, may just be the right tactics this time round if this really is a turner

Apparently the pitch is far drier than they expected as Sri Lanka gamble all or nothing on winning the toss - it will turn and crumble

- A real win the toss and virtually win the match pitch

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

I really don't get this at all. A test side needs 4 or 5 bowlers (Aussies managed 4 for years, admittedly as Warne was so good). We have a test class batsman waiting to come back but we are insisting on playing 6 bowlers (6.5 if you include Root, which one should unless he cannot bowl due to his back)? Yes some bat as well, but that should be a bonus, not an excuse to weaken the main batting.

If Stokes is a "main seamer" along with Anderson, and we have three spinners, why can't we leave out Curran (harsh admittedly) or a spinner (if only 2 are needed) and play:

Burns,
Jennings,
Bairstow,
Root,
Stokes,
Buttler,
Ali,
Foakes,
Rashid,
Leach,
Anderson

...Or Curran instead of Leach?

England have the worst top 5 we've had in many a year, yet we are talking of leaving out possibly our second best batsman?

If we need three spinners I find it very perplexing indeed, if it is decided we can get by with 2 then talk of bringing in Stone or Broad, rather than Bairstow, seems beyond insanity to me.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Ben Stokes will bat at No 3 in the second Test in Kandy as England pick an unchanged team.

In a complete about face from only yesterday it's now the all rounder who has been deemed to have the better technique with Buttler moving up one to Ben's number five position

Jonny Bairstow is fit for the match but will have to wait for a return to the side with Ben Foakes keeping wicket and Moeen Ali, who batted three in Galle, dropping down to No 6.

There was every indication that Jos Buttler would bat at three on Monday with captain Joe Root backing him to do the job. Buttler worked in the nets with openers Rory Burns and Keaton Jennings and was pencilled in to bat at three in the first Test in Galle if England had bowled first and Moeen got through a lot of overs.

But Stokes has a better technique and England are obviously confident he can handle the twin burden of batting high up the order and bowling in the Sri Lankan heat.

The pitch in Kandy is expected to turn early after Sri Lanka were disappointed with the slow surface produced in Galle. They have to gamble on the pitch to fight their way back in the series after finding themselves in the unusual position of going 1-0 down at home.

Jonny Bairstow will have to wait for a return to the England side off the back of Ben Foakes' heroics

Root has promised England will continue to take the attack to Sri Lanka as they look to win the series this week.

England slumped to 103 for five in the first Test before Foakes and Buttler repaired the innings.

The bold approach drew criticism and would have been punished by a better team than Sri Lanka.

“I want us to look to take the positive option if we’re unsure at any stage. I want us to keep taking the game to the opposition. It will come down to when we have a clear understanding of the surface, how quickly we can adapt,” said Root today.

The pitch in Kandy is renowned as the quickest in Sri Lanka and England had originally expected to pick an extra seamer this week. But the surface has been prepared to order for the home side and it means England will stick with the three spinners who took 16 wickets in Galle last week. Adil Rashid, Jack Leach and Moeen provide Root with a balanced spin attack.

Finalised team is

Burns, Jennings, BEN STOKES, Root, JOS BUTTLER, Ali, Foakes(WK), Curran, Rashid, Leach, Anderson

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/201 ... de-second/

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

hancockjr wrote: 13 Nov 2018, 10:31 I really don't get this at all. A test side needs 4 or 5 bowlers (Aussies managed 4 for years, admittedly as Warne was so good). We have a test class batsman waiting to come back but we are insisting on playing 6 bowlers (6.5 if you include Root, which one should unless he cannot bowl due to his back)? Yes some bat as well, but that should be a bonus, not an excuse to weaken the main batting.

If Stokes is a "main seamer" along with Anderson, and we have three spinners, why can't we leave out Curran (harsh admittedly) or a spinner (if only 2 are needed) and play:

Burns,
Jennings,
Bairstow,
Root,
Stokes,
Buttler,
Ali,
Foakes,
Rashid,
Leach,
Anderson

...Or Curran instead of Leach?

England have the worst top 5 we've had in many a year, yet we are talking of leaving out possibly our second best batsman?

If we need three spinners I find it very perplexing indeed, if it is decided we can get by with 2 then talk of bringing in Stone or Broad, rather than Bairstow, seems beyond insanity to me.
1) A dry pitch which is likely to crumble, it would be crazy to drop a spinner.

2) Curran is a batsman in his own right but also opens the bowling with Anderson and is a much needed left armer who can swing it into the right hander early on. Its not as crazy as dropping a spinner but I think on balance Curran who is up to speed in Sri Lankan conditions should play.

The top five:-

We're playing Sri Lanka and should pick players who play spin well not pace or the moving ball. Jennings who many rather prematurely would have dropped at precisely the time he would be playing on the pitches most suitable, scored over 200 in the last test and was dismissed only once.

Stokes scored an incredibly useful 60 odd in the second innings and looked every bit the part

Burns failed but was dismissed in rather unlucky and stupid fashions (strangled down the leg side and run out).

Ali has been moved to 6

So that leaves skipper Joe Root, yes he failed, drop him, ok.
Last edited by liquidfootball2 on 13 Nov 2018, 13:05, edited 1 time in total.

hancockjr
Dumbledore

Post by hancockjr »

If Curran is a batsman in his own right, maybe he should bat at three? :wink:

hancockjr
Dumbledore

Post by hancockjr »

I guess this means England rate Buttler as a better batsman (in these conditions) than Bairstow?

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy Cricket”