To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

selling car on ebay

A forum for discussion on motoring topics.
unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

selling car on ebay

Post by unc.si. »

Selling a car on ebay - if someone does a bank transfer to my account the day before they pick the car up and I check online that the cash is in my account, is there any risk that it can later be recalled?

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Re: selling car on ebay

Post by hancockjr »

Can you ring your bank and ask them? Pretty sure in the days of cheques the cheque would be credited before the funds cleared hence yes you would have been at risk. I think cheque kiting is linked with this.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

I'll try and ring them tomorrow - internet bank though so have to go through call centre hell!

In the old days there was definitely a risk. Pretty sure these days once the transfer has gone through on FPS then its definitely mine, but it's about £12k so I don't really want to take the risk!

primitive man
Grumpy Old Man

Post by primitive man »

Beware - Look for thread - A Cautionary Tale in financial & Shopping forum.
Heres a link-

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=73533&p=1637526&hi ... r#p1637526
Last edited by primitive man on 26 Feb 2018, 09:52, edited 1 time in total.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

If they are doing a cash transfer (via FPS) I think once it hits your account, it hits. There won’t be a facility to cancel/recall.

However, I assume they could perhaps ring the bank to dispute it - but that would follow normal processes (of their bank engaging your bank and trying to recoup etc. Which might mean your bank put a hold on the funds).

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Zimmerman wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 09:51 If they are doing a cash transfer (via FPS) I think once it hits your account, it hits. There won’t be a facility to cancel/recall.

However, I assume they could perhaps ring the bank to dispute it - but that would follow normal processes (of their bank engaging your bank and trying to recoup etc. Which might mean your bank put a hold on the funds).
I've got a call into the bank to confirm, but yes, thats how I understand FPS. I don't think they can block the funds though and I'll have an invoice signed when they collect anyway. Hopefully my bank will confirm.

Not that keen on that amount of cash either tbh, but if its not certain to be safe doing an FPS I'll take them to a bank, get them to withdraw the funds (presume they'll have to clear this with their bank in advance for that amount) and then pay into my account before they leave.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Motoring Forum”