To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Tesco Fuel

A forum for discussion on motoring topics.
juckster
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Winner of a mile in another mans shoes pre TW2. Total wins £550 SDT 2011/12.

Tesco Fuel

Post by juckster »

Tesco's have opened a new store in our town this week, with a petrol station.

Their fuel is about 1p per litre more expensive than the petrol station I normally use, but of course you can get 5p a litre knocked off at Tesco's if you spend more than £50 I think.

However, I've heard a rumour that Tesco's fuel is of a lower grade than a regular petrol station and fuel economy will be affected.

Can anyone confirm this rumour ?

Richt
FISO Knight
FS Record: Averagely consistant.

Re: Tesco Fuel

Post by Richt »

I was under the impression that tesco are in bed with Esso?

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

juckster wrote:Tesco's have opened a new store in our town this week, with a petrol station.

Their fuel is about 1p per litre more expensive than the petrol station I normally use, but of course you can get 5p a litre knocked off at Tesco's if you spend more than £50 I think.

However, I've heard a rumour that Tesco's fuel is of a lower grade than a regular petrol station and fuel economy will be affected.

Can anyone confirm this rumour ?
Not sure about the quality but I would guess it is as low as can be expected so they can sell it cheap. I'm not sure the bigger fuel companies (e.g. BP, Shell) would be much better as they market premium fuels that allegedly improve performance and MPG. I often use Tesco fuel and have had no problems.

As far as price goes (5p offers aside) Tesco will price-match against local garages so if you are lucky and live near other garages they will be cheap. If not then they won't be. (My local Tesco is always much dearer than the one local to my work for those reasons).

sleuth
Dumbledore

Post by sleuth »

Tesco couldnt give a flying eff about the customer nowdays as they are so big.

They shud have a national one set price on their petrol but it varies dramatically store to store which i think is bollocks.

They are never the ist big supermarket to lower the cost of petrol they always wait till Asda takes the lead like they have today in dopping unleaded to 131.mumble.
If Asda never took the lead Tesco wouldnt eff bother.

Notice the link headline.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... aaOcE6tMUQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

juckster
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Winner of a mile in another mans shoes pre TW2. Total wins £550 SDT 2011/12.

Post by juckster »

Cheers lads.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

There's often been a view that the supermarkets use lower grade fuel.
Not sure it is/was propaganda to support the normal petrol stations who charge more.

Bunners
Dumbledore

Post by Bunners »

sleuth wrote:Tesco couldnt give a flying eff about the customer nowdays as they are so big.

They shud have a national one set price on their petrol but it varies dramatically store to store which i think is bollocks.

They are never the ist big supermarket to lower the cost of petrol they always wait till Asda takes the lead like they have today in dopping unleaded to 131.mumble.
If Asda never took the lead Tesco wouldnt eff bother.

Notice the link headline.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... aaOcE6tMUQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
asda always a couple of pence cheaper here in sunny portsmouth as well.......

The most local one to me is a BP and has a sign saying discounted fuel 2 days a week outside.....Ive never EVER seen the discounted fuel TODAY sign

sleuth
Dumbledore

Post by sleuth »

stupid thing is they make a big noise about cutting 2p off every month but they dont mention that after a week it creeps back up a penny a week till it nears 1.40.

Why dont they just cut prices where theres a noticable difference.

Asda shud say right 15p off at Asda and see then if everyone else follows suit, why flaff around cutting 1 or 2 p off all the time.

Raisin
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Raisin »

Sure I read somewhere that the fuel from the refinery is absolutely standard on the tanker, but that there are a number of additives which are carried separately on the tanker. Each retailer specifies and buys the additives it wants, and the tanker driver mixes the fuel with the appropriate additives on the forecourt as it is pumped into the storage tanks.

So Tesco fuel will probably be different from other retailers. Whether it's worse I don't know.

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore
FS Record: Fiso Cricket - The Limited Overs Game winner 2014

Post by foxinthebox2001 »

sleuth wrote:stupid thing is they make a big noise about cutting 2p off every month but they dont mention that after a week it creeps back up a penny a week till it nears 1.40.

Why dont they just cut prices where theres a noticable difference.

Asda shud say right 15p off at Asda and see then if everyone else follows suit, why flaff around cutting 1 or 2 p off all the time.
Morrisons did a similar type scam last year.
At the time I was driving past every week so I knew the running price, 1 week it jumped up by 6p a litre for no reason, 1 week later the attached store was offering 8p off a litre if you spent £40 in the store.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

With Tesco there is sometimes ways of using two or more 5p vouchers at once so you can get 10, 15p off per litre.

Never looked into it (I don't pay for my own fuel) but I remember it was on Martyn Lewis' website's e-mail.

goldenballs
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Not Great.

Post by goldenballs »

Every time Tesco do this 5p promotion it's seems they put the price up by about 3p,asda full page advertisement yesterday in the telegraph,unleaded to be under 132 nationally.

goldenballs
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Not Great.

Post by goldenballs »

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/431992 ... -to-131-7p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

'Your Car Tells the truth', it always relies on its seven sisters.

tommymooney
FISO Knight

Post by tommymooney »

being light on the accelerator and coasting where you can (safely of course!!) probably saves you 5p a litre anyway...

kizkiz
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISO autumn 2009 poker world champ and 8 game champ

Post by kizkiz »

50lt tank, 5p a litre, saving of £2.50 - that you spent £50 to get :|
The trick, as murf said, is getting multiple 5ps off each purchase, but they've stopped that now

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Had the misfortune to get caught out this morning and had to get fuel on the motorway. Eff me it's expensive :shock:

Usually get the supermarket offers. At 10p off or whatever it still ends up being 2 or 3p cheaper than the rest even after allowing for the scam, so as long as it's a normal shop you're still up. A fill up for me is about 75 litres if I run it down to the red so might as well use the voucher.

DrBunker
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISODAS season 21 Premiership champion

Post by DrBunker »

Zimmerman wrote:There's often been a view that the supermarkets use lower grade fuel.
Not sure it is/was propaganda to support the normal petrol stations who charge more.
I've wondered this as well - I've always put it down to natural skepticism but when your can of Heinz beans costs less in Tesco than the local corner shop I doubt many would question the contents.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

I'm convinced that my Fiesta runs best with Sainsbury's fuel, can't understand why but I'm sure it does.

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore
FS Record: Fiso Cricket - The Limited Overs Game winner 2014

Post by foxinthebox2001 »

Tacalabala wrote:I'm convinced that my Fiesta runs best with Sainsbury's fuel, can't understand why but I'm sure it does.
I have used both superstore brands and traditional petrol stations, and I usually fill up when I am running on fumes, I can't say I have noticed any significant difference.
However, on a weekend run down to the Dorset coast recently I filled up with super unleaded, and I found the performance was a lot smoother.

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Just for interest, on a lot of cars (including mine) the fuel pump is inside the fuel tank and running the tank to empty every time can shorten the life of the pump.

DrBunker
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISODAS season 21 Premiership champion

Post by DrBunker »

It's also apparently not great for the filter if it's sucking through the grit from the bottom of the tank.

sleuth
Dumbledore

Post by sleuth »

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... K8fpG1h-Dg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And still Tesco never take the lead...

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Post by Beerfuelledman »

My Dad's Mitsuibishi Lancer Hatchback recently calved, losing power hand over fist. The problem was going to cost £700 to fix. The mechanic asked where he bought his fuel & he replied ASDA. He said (paraphrasing) ASDA fuel is cheaper because it doesnt have a necessary additive - it says as much on the back of the receipt (Ive NEVER checked my fuel receipt). BP/Maxol is a couple pence extra but they give more MPG and are better for the engine.

He sold the car over the head of it all, was thinking of changing anyway, this sold it.

Careful with the supermarket fuel it seems - I'm lucky in that I buy mine over the border in Ireland at a cheaper rate its always quality Maxol et al.

Seemed relevant to the OP.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Motoring Forum”