To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Knocking off car wing mirrors

A forum for discussion on motoring topics.
Achiles74
Dumbledore

Knocking off car wing mirrors

Post by Achiles74 »

What can you do about individuals knocking the wing mirror off your car?
Twice now I have had my passenger side and car side knocked off my car breaking the unit, costing me 10quid each time to get a replacement from the scrap yard to fit?
(I should add it is my wife's car and not mine)

Would it be worthwhile fitting a CCTV camera to catch the culprits? And if so would the police take it seriously or just ignore it?
I'm guessing if I'm report it they won't even bother investigating the crime.
Last edited by Achiles74 on 23 Jun 2013, 12:25, edited 1 time in total.

stevejtr
Grumpy Old Cereal Killer
FS Record: I always liked the old Tele FA Cup competition...

Re: Knocking off car wing mirrors

Post by stevejtr »

fold them in?

Achiles74
Dumbledore

Post by Achiles74 »

They don't fold in on my other halfs car (Ford Ka).
A design fault I know. And as soon as any force/kick is applied to them, the stalks break attacking the wing mirror to the car.

Flipping annoying because it means a trip to the scrapyard and time fixing the new wing mirrors to the car.

Vid
Head Moderator
FS Record: winning is a distant memory

Post by Vid »

Road side or pavement side?

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Depends where it was parked. If it was parked in a way that obstructed pedestrians then losing a wing mirror is what you get.

Achiles74
Dumbledore

Post by Achiles74 »

Both sides of the car on the driver and passenger side.

I don't think it matters that it was parked on the pavement, as the first time it was parked on our driveway and got attacked, the second time it was parked on the street.

It is more callous criminal damage than anyone feeling the need to make a statement about a car being parked on the street, which as far as I can see is not illegal to park a car on the street (plenty of room for people to push a triple size buggy on the pavement if they so desired past it).

Achiles74
Dumbledore

Post by Achiles74 »

But they were taken out on the pavement side and road side. which has elimanted a car driving past on the road and hitting the wing mirror.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Achiles74 wrote:Both sides of the car on the driver and passenger side.

I don't think it matters that it was parked on the pavement, as the first time it was parked on our driveway and got attacked, the second time it was parked on the street.

It is more callous criminal damage than anyone feeling the need to make a statement about a car being parked on the street, which as far as I can see is not illegal to park a car on the street (plenty of room for people to push a triple size buggy on the pavement if they so desired past it).
If it is on the pavement obstructing pedestrians then the damage is deserved. How do you know it was not someone trying to get past with a pushchair? Parking in the street is ok but not on a pavement if it obstructs anyone.

Ashers
FISO Knight
FS Record: OFL Fantasy Fives Winner 2011/2012, SDT wins WDT, weekly, monthly and seasonal prizes. Fantasy Darts daily winner, TFFO mini league winner & FISO U21 Threes Champs 13.

Post by Ashers »

Probably someone from FISO that was fed up with your power posting.

Spencer4
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: 2008/9 FPL 172nd, 2007/8 TFF 6th, Vid's Predictions winner 2014/5, Fiso TFF Hot shots champ 2015/6, murfs Egg chasers winner 2017 & 2024, winner PB's last man standing golf comp 2018

Post by Spencer4 »

Has someone on fiso worked out where you live? :wink:

edit. i see Ashers thinking along same lines...

Achiles74
Dumbledore

Post by Achiles74 »

Surprised wrote:
Achiles74 wrote:Both sides of the car on the driver and passenger side.

If it is on the pavement obstructing pedestrians then the damage is deserved. How do you know it was not someone trying to get past with a pushchair? Parking in the street is ok but not on a pavement if it obstructs anyone.
As I said plenty of room on the pavement to push an elephant through in a wheel barrow, not exaggerating here.
The pavement is pretty wide and the car was parked half on and half off the road.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

Then it's probably local teenies and the police won't give a damn. It's either put up with it or take the law into your own hands.

Achiles74
Dumbledore

Post by Achiles74 »

Surprised wrote:Then it's probably local teenies and the police won't give a damn. It's either put up with it or take the law into your own hands.
That is why I'm thinking CCTV, if I rig some up in the front window, I can catch whoever is doing it on film.
Then this can be supplied to the police or if I can identify who is responsible I can have a private word with them myself.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

Yeah...set up a cheap, external CCTV and see who it is.
Maybe be drunks from a nearby pub making their way home, little teenies or a disgruntled neighbour.

Achiles74
Dumbledore

Post by Achiles74 »

Exactly my thinking, if I catch someone (which I probably will) would the police take action, or would it be a slap on the wrist and told not to do it again?

kizkiz
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISO autumn 2009 poker world champ and 8 game champ

Post by kizkiz »

Loving the police comments
Unfortunately, minority report is not real :lol:
Cctv would give the police something to go on.
With no cameras and no witnesses, what exactly do you expect them to do?
Mind you, reporting it in the first place would be a start

Achiles74
Dumbledore

Post by Achiles74 »

kizkiz wrote:Loving the police comments
Unfortunately, minority report is not real :lol:
Cctv would give the police something to go on.
With no cameras and no witnesses, what exactly do you expect them to do?
Mind you, reporting it in the first place would be a start

I guess it we reported it, then the police could see if any trends exist in the area, ie it maybe that more one person has had car damage and it may lead from the person set off from to somewhere in the area where the live.

The police could also check records and see if anyone has been charged in the area for this behaviour before.

Although I don't hold out much hope.

It was damaged after 10pm at night, so I assume it is someone leaving the local pub on the way home, however a CCTV camera would catch the culprit, would the police take it as evidence?

kizkiz
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISO autumn 2009 poker world champ and 8 game champ

Post by kizkiz »

Good quality cctv is great evidence.
The point you make about patterns is spot on too
report it at least, then get some cctv up

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

The fact it's happened a few times would go against the random idiot on the pub walk home theory. Have you got any enemies (apart from all the ones on here who presumably don't know where you live). A kid or his family you put in a bad scouting report on maybe?

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore
FS Record: Fiso Cricket - The Limited Overs Game winner 2014

Post by foxinthebox2001 »

Are you saying your other half actually makes use of the wing mirrors? Thats unusual.
And I always assumed, for a female driver, the purpose of a rear view mirror was primarily to check her lippy is applied correctly.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

I have personal experience where the car parked on the pavement has been traumatic. But hey, you've got the car, you've got the money and you think you can get away with it.
Let me put it another way. If you put a table chair on the pavement would you complain if somebody moved it out of the way or damaged it? It's the same principle. The PAVEMENTS ARE FOR PEOPLE not cars.

mad dog
Dumbledog
FS Record: Sky Winner 16/17

Post by mad dog »

See they're both on at the minute, grab a 6 pack and sit in the car one night and see what happens
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mad dog
Dumbledog
FS Record: Sky Winner 16/17

Post by mad dog »

Your misses car is alright too?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Achiles74
Dumbledore

Post by Achiles74 »

mad dog wrote:See they're both on at the minute, grab a 6 pack and sit in the car one night and see what happens
I like your car Maddog, vey classy? :D

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Motoring Forum”