To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

A MUST READ – NEW MANAGERS

A forum for discussion on the Xpert Eleven Fantasy Management Simulation game
Angry Alien
Grumpy Old Man

A MUST READ – NEW MANAGERS

Post by Angry Alien »

Some helpful links to get you kick- started.

http://xpertelevenguide.wordpress.com/#Allround" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.freewebs.com/leftblank/strat ... c204268469" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Download the PDF from the second link.

http://x11guide.blogspot.com/search/label/Links" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Angry Alien on 01 Jul 2010, 10:34, edited 1 time in total.

Angry Alien
Grumpy Old Man

Re: A MUST READ – NEW MANAGERS

Post by Angry Alien »

One of the most important qualities you need to manager is....Patience.

Your aim is to build an Uber team....that usually takes a few seasons
Even if you lose a few games, learn from the experience. DON’T GIVE UP!

Training your players is key (keep them green arrows up)
A Press release every week of over 250 characters (worth 200 000 econs)

You will be offered juniors from your youth squad on a regular basis. The cost is a nominal fee.

Buying Tactic reports: helps you understand the tactics (obviously) But more than that,
You can work out how your opponent plays

It pays to have atleast one team in a private league and one in a public league........DOUBLE THE EXPERIENCE, or more teams, more experience (Beware can be time consuming)

If you can afford it i would recommend VIP, It Saves on a lot of leg work.
But Club Stats page is worth it's weight in gold (imo)
Last edited by Angry Alien on 01 Jul 2010, 10:32, edited 1 time in total.

Rob
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: WC2010 FISODAS Champion!!

Post by Rob »

Thank you AA, after a season and a half I still don't know what I'm doing.

The above info should get me on track 8-)

Karrde
Sir Stormtrooper
FS Record: Profitable

Post by Karrde »

Strategy Quotes From Around The Fiso Forum:
food for thought on their long term strategy.

There are certain givens in Xpert 11 that you have to keep in mind.

1) If the average age of the first eleven you send out is under 26 then you will suffer a dip in match performance.
2) A player with a season long Development Value (DV) of above 10 will increase skill... the higher above 10 the more that increase will be. If you increase it by enough the player will gain a visable skill bar.
3) A player with a season long DV of below 10 will lose skill. Again, how much skill depends on how far below 10.
4) Skill increases are influenced by age, it is far less likely for an older player to rise than a younger player.
5) DV is a combination of average form and games played. Meaning you must rotate in order to give all your players experience.
6) Too much rotation will impact on your teamwork ratings.

So with that said, you have to play a largely settled side with an average age of 26, but rotate enough to make sure your youth prospects all get number of games needed to improve and become the stars of future seasons. You also have to ensure that you train your players well enough to maintain high enough form.
spireiteontour wrote:if anyone clicks on my username check out chesterfield

i have had that team for 20 seasons

although took me 3 to work out what to do

but it shows you what to aim for
bars are current form
dots are average form.

Every player over 30 just make sure their DV isnt less than ten that way they wont get worse... it is too hard to get them to increase too much

Every player under 25 there is no excuse not to have their average form less than 15, then you can monitor their DV.
and training is the only way to do this?
Pretty much yes. One of the most important things 'form training' does is to reverse a negative form trend. Even if the training doesn't improve the players form too much it makes it more likely that the player's form will improve after the next game he plays.

Some players have naturally high form and don't need to be trained too often, but others seem to drop in form after games quite a lot and you see the red arrows next to them. By training them you should be able to reverse the form trend, otherwise the form is likely to keep falling.

To sum up: train, train, train.
Form is like an elasticband. The further away from 10 the form is the elastic band will pull it back towards 10. So if the players form is crap then it will naturally go back towards ten. However in that case most players will not keep their form high enough to ever increase

training artificially inflates the form longer term, allowing the players to increase in skill

training has more effect on younger players than older ones. As long as my 30 plus players are above ten i leave them alone

if my younger ones are below 15 i train them
short term success can be gained by buying up lots of good old players

but then they all retire - you have no players at all and your team is destroyed

some managers do that, win a couple of trophies and resign from the team when they retire. I think that is a shame

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Special Qualities
Karrde wrote:
In an ideal world I want:

One of my best players to be a leader
One of my best players to be a Freekick taker - with hard shooting if im allowed to dream!
Everyone to be a hard trainer :lol:
Any player with high skill to be moody, especially strikers (They will have some bad games, but on their good moods they will be amazing.)
A cool outfield player (To take penalties)
A goalkeeper that is cool (To save penalties
A defender with heading and another one with speed
A midfielder with intelligence (These make the best Playmakers)
A midfielder that cheats (They will win you freekicks)
A striker with speed or heading alongside being a goal thief.

Fragile I havent really seen as being any worse than anyone else in my limited experience. I dont like Divas, Big Mouth has no upside and Allround is next to useless imo as you should have enough cover that you dont play people out of position.

Angry Alien
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Angry Alien »

Useful Post by Blahblah:

The Squad

You can have a maximum of 20 players.

Talent

Periodically you get youngsters offered form the side's Youth Team.

Buying/Selling

You buy from the Transfers tab, and sell from the Sell tab on the player's profile.

Note: You can not sell more than three players at a time, and you can not bid for players, if being successful takes your squad to over 20 players, even if you have bids on players that you are selling.

Sacking

Performed from the player profile page, but you can not sack anyone if it takes your squad below 18.

Players

They have Skill Bars, Special Qualities, Form and Average Form.

Skill Bars

The bars are discrete, i.e. 1,2,3,4....; however, their actual skill is analogue, i.e 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 etc. So the 4 bar represents 3.6 to 4.5 of actual skill.

It should be noted that they have a hidden value, which distorts the visible Skill Bar. This can result in a player being better, or worse than his visible Skill Bar indicates.

Special Qualities (SQ's)

There are the visible ones, see the transfer page, and the hidden ones, which require scouting to be seen before purchase. I will look these up soon.... and list them...

These Special Qualities show players which are above a given level in the particular SQ.

Players have different levels of each SQ, and the average of these, component, skills equates to the Skill Bar (although this may actually work the other way round, but the initial distribution is probably set on day one for the player.

Example:
Simplistically, if there were only three SQ's A, B and C, the following three players would both be 4 bar
Player 1: 4A, 4B, and 4C; Player 2: 3A, 4B and 5C; and Player 3: 0A, 4B and 8C.

This means that a player with a lot of SQ's will have very low values in the other SQ's.

spireiteontour
Grumpy Old Man

Post by spireiteontour »

this is amazing

and printable

http://www.freewebs.com/leftblank/xpert11guideIV.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

spireiteontour wrote:this is amazing

and printable

http://www.freewebs.com/leftblank/xpert11guideIV.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am sure I posted a link t this ages ago, it has been on my laptop from before my first game.

Angry Alien
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Angry Alien »

Something I have just learned the hard way.

DON'T - rip the heart out of your team.

A player with no red heart is normally going to take 14 games (3 months) to fully gel with the rest of the team.

That is not to say the given player will play crap all the time. But imagine if you have quite a few players like this.
it soon weakens your team.

There is a team in div 1 - squad 20: 9 hearts, 11 no hearts............he is really struggling.

On the upside a lot of youth players come with red hearts. :o

Please feel free to add to this post... :idea:

fancy dan
Grumpy Old Dan
Location: Having a secret meeting in the basement of my brain
FS Record: Winner of S4's big WC prediction game - and 2-time winner of the Premier League A game!

Post by fancy dan »

I think all players promoted directly from your youth system come with red hearts.

Karrde
Sir Stormtrooper

Post by Karrde »

they do yes.

Angry Alien
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Angry Alien »

Just so TBC.................Does not have to keep repeating this!?

The down side of the odd over-training is a mere annoyance. .... 5 mosquito bites do not ruin a 2 week holiday on a tropical carribbean beach

I spend ALL my money on training - and if any player is below 15 DV at the end of the season i consider it a failure.

Karrde and myself are getting change report in the region of +12 to +14 ... if you guys cannot match that then the gap between us and you will get bigger by the season

yes we are a little more experienced at this game but ALL we do different is train as many players as we can till the money runs out .

i only ever buy players with money generated from sales

I am working on an Ian Holloway sized budget in this game all the time

take my Lester City YDL side

i sold 5 players and bought up 7 new 17 year old players. i had 4 mill left over, so l generated more.
i never trained less than 12 players per week in the whole of the next season

At the end of the season i had a record +17 change report

This game is very straight forward.....
1- Train any player on 14 form or less
2- Train any player on a red arrow
3- Mix up your tactics a little
4- Try to work out what your opponent will do
5- Always write a press release and do your sponsership money every week

Only number 4 requires any guesswork and how well you do there is what splits the winners from the 2nds and 3rds

Everyone does the other 4 though, and if you dont you should be as they are the 4 MUST do unwritten rules of this game

But they are 4 very easy things to do.

Now, of course finances state that you may not quite be able to train every player who needs it, so then you balance who is more important to increase at the end of the season. Therefore always train under 25s over the older players as a 33 year old will retire soon and are virtually impossible to increase skill levels for so dont waste too much cash on them . train them if you can affor dit but do not do it instead of a young player.
Should money still run out then you decide. Do I allow a player to decrease in form or do i have to sell a player to fund training.
yes your team may lose a 9 skill player but if the money causes you to train properly and gain 13 bars in the change report your team is still better than before

For what it is worth i NEVER have a player get a - in a change report. that is unacceptable and the game will become harder and harder if that is the case

Any other rules in this game are little nuances that you should deal with when you become more experienced

Take the 5 point plan at the top of this post and make sure all your teams achieve as many of those as you can, if you get them right you will do extremely well
It is all i do with the TBC, it is all Karrde does with TPR and that is why those 2 teams are starting to sneak ahead of the rest --- Higgi rate quite well as well

Please ask for more advice as i want this FISO league to be competitive where anyone can win it.
TPR wont dominate for ten years but 2-3 teams will start to split it between them if the others dont improve as quick

Richt
FISO Knight
FS Record: Averagely consistant.

Post by Richt »

Thanks for the heads up fellas. I think I may have a bash at this 8-)

Karrde
Sir Stormtrooper

Post by Karrde »

great to have someone else on board, the QPR team is vacant and has potential. (You can change the name dont worry)

edit: I think one other team is vacant too but i cant think which it is.

Richt
FISO Knight

Post by Richt »

Karrde wrote:great to have someone else on board, the QPR team is vacant and has potential. (You can change the name dont worry)

Thanks for the welcome :D

I am currently taking a look around the site, looks like I have inherited a team called Knight Riders FC! Will try and find the QPR team that you mentioned.

Angry Alien
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Angry Alien »

Richt wrote:
Karrde wrote:great to have someone else on board, the QPR team is vacant and has potential. (You can change the name dont worry)

Thanks for the welcome :D

I am currently taking a look around the site, looks like I have inherited a team called Knight Riders FC! Will try and find the QPR team that you mentioned.
That could be in the public league.( or another Private)

Karrde is referring to the FISO private league.

Welcome aboard Richt :lol:
try this link:

http://www.xperteleven.com/?lid=205925" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.xperteleven.com/?lid=205925" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Richt
FISO Knight

Post by Richt »

Thanks for the links etc. I appear to have applied to join the FISO league. Looking forward to it.

Cheers

Mintman
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: I've won stuff...

Post by Mintman »

Richt wrote:Thanks for the links etc. I appear to have applied to join the FISO league. Looking forward to it.

Cheers
Good man Rich. We look forward to having an experienced manager such as yourself on board!! :wink: :D

Richt
FISO Knight

Post by Richt »

Mintman wrote:
Richt wrote:Thanks for the links etc. I appear to have applied to join the FISO league. Looking forward to it.

Cheers
Good man Rich. We look forward to having an experienced manager such as yourself on board!! :wink: :D
Oh yeah, highly experienced :roll:

Will get there though......

Now, if you will excuse me I really should go and try and get a job :shock:

Karrde
Sir Stormtrooper

Post by Karrde »

I will wait for Spirey to approve the application. He knows better what teams are available and will be a better judge than me on giving you the one with the best prospects.

Good luck with the public league team. I guess youre in division 8? Even with a dreadful team you wont struggle to turn it round and get promoted. (you can change the team name there too)

Richt
FISO Knight

Post by Richt »

I am in division 6 of the Hattrick League!?

Place Team GP W D L GF-GA Diff P
1 Real Nikola
6 3 3 0 9 - 3 6 12
2 Team Karsk
6 3 2 1 6 - 3 3 11
3 Club Aguilas
6 3 2 1 6 - 4 2 11
4 Sanfrecce Celtic
6 3 1 2 11 - 8 3 10
5 Varteig IL Allstars
6 2 2 2 8 - 7 1 8
6 Stuttgart Fußball
6 2 1 3 12 - 11 1 7
7 BOCA JUNIORS.
6 2 1 3 4 - 8 -4 7
8 Knight Riders F.C.
6 0 0 6 1 - 13 -12 0

Defintely got my work cut out to turn this one around :wink:

Mintman
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: I've won stuff...

Post by Mintman »

Richt wrote:
Mintman wrote:

Cheers
Oh yeah, highly experienced :roll:
Sorry Rich, my bad. :oops: I typed Knight Riders FC into the search, and their manager was a user called Richk who has been a user for 3 years which I assumed was you, as I remember you showing an interest in X11 a few years back!! I have found you now!! :D The public team you have taken over is actually quite good!! I am 2 divs above you in the Hatrick League yet your squad has the same rating as mine. You actually have the best rated squad in your div, so with some player training you can still avoid relegation yet!! :D

spireiteontour
Grumpy Old Man

Post by spireiteontour »

You are now the QPR manager

:)

Karrde
Sir Stormtrooper

Post by Karrde »

I know the outgoing QPR manager wasnt trying hard or spending any real time online, but he was collecting sponsorship, doing some training and picking the players with half an eye to getting game time for all. So youre not in too bad a position. Just focus on the young players form and game time, spend the money training anyone worth it and ship out anyone not worth training. If youre going to buy, buy young. Its going to take a season or two to fix properly, but youre competing with a lot of similar teams there, so there is a good and fair challenge to be had on your way to being ready to challenge for major honours.

All the best Rich :D

Edit: And I just looked at your Hattrick League team!!! You lucky sod!!!! :lol: Ive spent 4 and half seasons building up the bunch I was given, and they are still rated as 1 bar less than yours :lol:

Richt
FISO Knight

Post by Richt »

spireiteontour wrote:You are now the QPR manager

:)
and I lose my first game..... but it was only 1-0 :mrgreen: onwards and upwards (and rest assured I wont keep updating you all) lol

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Angry Alien wrote:Something I have just learned the hard way.

A player with no red heart is normally going to take 14 games (3 months) to fully gel with the rest of the team.

That is not to say the given player will play crap all the time. But imagine if you have quite a few players like this.

There is a team in div 1 - squad 20: 9 hearts, 11 no hearts............he is really struggling.

I must disagree with this. If the team you take over is pants, then you may as well clear the deadwood straight away, there is no point carrying them.

Yes the first and/or second season will be a struggle, but it will reap dividends. If you keep the deadwood, it may serve you OK for a season or two, but you will then suffer, as those 6 bar 26-30 year olds do not improve, grow old together etc.

The Alliance is probably the favourite of all my teams, and it was well and truly gutted from the start.

One other point; Karde has mentioned not buying older players, and that is OK for original teams, but newer ones may need to buy good older players to compete with the original teams, with their 10 bar fisters etc.

Angry Alien
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Angry Alien »

blahblah wrote:
Angry Alien wrote:Something I have just learned the hard way.

I must disagree with this. If the team you take over is pants, then you may as well clear the deadwood straight away, there is no point carrying them.

Yes the first and/or second season will be a struggle, but it will reap dividends. If you keep the deadwood, it may serve you OK for a season or two, but you will then suffer, as those 6 bar 26-30 year olds do not improve, grow old together etc.

The Alliance is probably the favourite of all my teams, and it was well and truly gutted from the start.

One other point; Karde has mentioned not buying older players, and that is OK for original teams, but newer ones may need to buy good older players to compete with the original teams, with their 10 bar fisters etc.

Blah i concur on this point:

And more importantly to bring the youth players through

Also as TBC stated the rules were changed (last season i think) So that New teams would not continually lag behind the older more advanced teams. New teams are more competitive Now

A more level playing field is in everyones interest 8-) 8-)

Karrde
Sir Stormtrooper

Post by Karrde »

... may need to buy good older players to compete with the original teams, with their 10 bar fisters etc.
On the face of it, that looks obvious and sound advice. It isnt though. Money is so hard to come by in this game. spending it all on older players at the start is a time bomb. The players retire and have no resale value. Those precious econs are lost. What little money you have HAS to go on developing younger players, as they mature, you sell them and gradually your coffers swell.

The only way to ever hope to compete is to mature a squad gradually, there are very rare exceptions where you should be throwing what is essentially dead money at old players. Every econ needs to be recycled somehow.

Buy a young player :arrow: train him :arrow: sell him at one nanosecond past his peak :arrow: have the young player you started to develop a couple of seasons ago ready to replace him :arrow: buy another young player with the money :arrow: repeat for ever.

Have a look at Spiries Chesterfield team, he followed the above and has his players now layered in ages. Each season he can sell one 30+ superstar for mega bucks, have a mid 20s guy ready to be the next superstar and then buys a youth to eventually replace the mid 20s guy. It becomes a conveyor belt and the econs are essentiallt recycled within his system.

If you already have your youth in place and you have spare millions, then and only then can you indulge and buy an older player, but you do so knowing that the econs are lost and you have the safety net of knowing the future is already secure.

It only takes a handful of seasons to develop a dreadful squad into a decent one. There is no need to waste econs on short term older players, it takes too much away from future development.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Karrde wrote: It only takes a handful of seasons to develop a dreadful squad into a decent one. There is no need to waste econs on short term older players, it takes too much away from future development.
Totally concur, and with the layered age point.

Also with DV's yoofs gain more by playing with and against good players. The Foxes DV are through the roof already, as with my other sides, where they play with and against "mega-bar" players.

The older teams have been able to cultivate players/squads.

I like a group of yoofs, and sell a percentage of them to fund training, new yoofs and the occasional older player.

The Mercenary got The Alliance promoted, and could keep them up, hopefully Caligulia will get his finger out, and play to his bars, soon. If not this season, I should get another 2-3 seasons out of him, and Attila the Hun is doing well enough.

In the mean time my under 26 year olds, especially Napoleon, Joe Chamberlain, Lloyd George and the young forwards are getting good bar increases etc.

To cut the above to a sentence. I think it takes 5 seasons(ish) to sort out a team, and any hits are best taken early.....

Richt
FISO Knight

Post by Richt »

I have pretty much made my mind up that I will never sign a player who is older than 26. (however, I reserve the right to change this strategy at a moments notice if push comes to shove) :P

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Xpert Eleven”