To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Fantasy Fussball - World Cup Game

A Fantasy Football forum for news and views on Guardian Fantasy Football Chairman.
Steph
Grumpy Old Man

Fantasy Fussball - World Cup Game

Post by Steph »

The Guardian newspaper fantasy chairman piece mentioned there will be a world cup fantasy game. Any ideas what form this will take? Stockmarket system again?

quizking
Grumpy Old Man
Location: quizking towers, primrose hill; and running the shop at https://www.quizking.net/

Post by quizking »

wabu
Treebeard
FS Record: Guardian Winner 2006

Post by wabu »

Shame its not in the stock market format of fantasy chairman, still, might be worth a pop.

C.Sativa
Grumpy Old Man

Post by C.Sativa »

I'm not sure stock market system would be good for only a month tournament.
I like the entry fee 8-) £ 3
Anybody set up mini league?

timmsy
Grumpy Old Man
Location: It's obstruse to deduce that I've found my soulmate at the age of 17
FS Record: Won one more house than CY

Post by timmsy »

OFL with no values basically

admin
FISO Administrator
FS Record: Won TFFO, 2nd/3rd TFF, Won BFF, Won FLGolf

Post by admin »

'Win £10,000 with Guardian Fantasy Fußball

The greatest competition in the world is about to start... All new Fantasy Fußball from the Guardian.

The World Cup’s not about the nitty-gritty of the transfer market so we’ve listened to your feedback on Fantasy Chairman and got back to basics. In Fantasy Fußball you’ll only earn points based on the on-field performance of the players you’ve chosen. So whether you plump for a bunch of untested teenagers or battle scarred veterans it’s what they do on the pitch that counts.

Entry is a mere snip at £3 and we’re giving away £10,000 in cash prizes as well as a host of other goodies including sports gear from Kitbag.com and an Apple MacBook Pro.

You can change your team as many times as you like before the start of the tournament on June 9th. And to help you the full player list can be downloaded from our site right now'.

Click here now to register - http://www.fantasyfussball.com/

quizking
Grumpy Old Man
Location: quizking towers, primrose hill; and running the shop at https://www.quizking.net/

Post by quizking »

no major cash prizes (just dvds and subbuteo) but have set up mini league;

FISO GRAUNIAD CHALLENGE

pin; 411

(yes that's the correct spelling, guardian readers will know why)

dejudge

Advice for the Guardian fantasy fussball

Post by dejudge »

Hello to all. Wondered if anyone would be kind enough to offer some advice to a fortunate early pace setter.

I'm Manager of Uber alles and have been very lucky so far. Didn't have time to get rid of Ballack before 1st game and stuck with two strikers who wont make the second phase.

Should I make quick changes to maximise the number of games I have men in or wait to see how the tournament progresses.

I have Ronaldo for Portugal, but many other leaders have several Portuguese in anticipation of them slaughtering Angola. Should I buy in on Pauletta for example.

Advice greatly appreciated

Doogal
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: The big two!! VAMPIRE OF THE WEEK SEASON AWARD 2013-14 and FINAL TABLE PREDICTION COMP 2015-16.

Post by Doogal »

I would keep your transfers for now. Could be injuries or suspensions.

savvyboy
FISOhead

Post by savvyboy »

Entered two more teams today, one's got bot Rosicky and Cahill, a couple of Ity defs, not a bad start :lol: :lol: this is the only comp I'm in the top 100.

Steph
Grumpy Old Man

Standings according to points/game

Post by Steph »

I have had a little look at the overall standings taking into account the number of games played and transfers used. I make the top ten something like this:

Name, Team, Pts, Players played, Pts/player
Lilam Buckley Over the Cahill 23 5 4.6
Gareth Dunn Dunns Donkeys 24 7 3.4
Fred Petersen Elles Angels 24 7 3.4
Georgios Christides SPQR 23 7 3.3
Sam Smedley Arctic Donkeys 26 8 3.25
charlie turner boothyboy 26 8 3.25
Rich Turner Ricardinho's XI 29 9 3.2
amardeep Dhaliwal Amo's 11 29 9 3.2
Michael Aldous tawa bears 22 7 3.1
Todd Black Retodd's Razors 22 7 3.1

Apologies to any teams I have missed.

Demo
Grumpy Old Man

Re: Advice for the Guardian fantasy fussball

Post by Demo »

dejudge wrote:Hello to all. Wondered if anyone would be kind enough to offer some advice to a fortunate early pace setter.

I'm Manager of Uber alles and have been very lucky so far. Didn't have time to get rid of Ballack before 1st game and stuck with two strikers who wont make the second phase.

Should I make quick changes to maximise the number of games I have men in or wait to see how the tournament progresses.

I have Ronaldo for Portugal, but many other leaders have several Portuguese in anticipation of them slaughtering Angola. Should I buy in on Pauletta for example.

Advice greatly appreciated
After the group stages, all points are doubled so I would hang on. I don't plan on making any transfers until then at the earliest (aside from tournament threatening injuries and possibly suspensions) If you had say 24 transfers then maybe, but defo not with 12 IMO. I notice the current leader has already used the max 8 transfers :o He will win nothing. Slow and steady, that's my motto :wink:

Steph
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Steph »

You can only make 4 transfers in stage 2 and four in stage 3, so unless you use 4 in stage 1, they will be lost. I plan to swap for France/Brazil players either today or before their second group game. I agree though, that to blow all 8 stage 1 transfers after three days or so is a bit rash!

savvyboy
FISOhead

Re: Standings according to points/game

Post by savvyboy »

[quote="spjwsmc"]I have had a little look at the overall standings taking into account the number of games played and transfers used. I make the top ten something like this:

Name, Team, Pts, Players played, Pts/player
Lilam Buckley Over the Cahill 23 5 4.6
Gareth Dunn Dunns Donkeys 24 7 3.4
Fred Petersen Elles Angels 24 7 3.4
Georgios Christides SPQR 23 7 3.3
Sam Smedley Arctic Donkeys 26 8 3.25
charlie turner boothyboy 26 8 3.25
Rich Turner Ricardinho's XI 29 9 3.2
amardeep Dhaliwal Amo's 11 29 9 3.2
Michael Aldous tawa bears 22 7 3.1
Todd Black Retodd's Razors 22 7 3.1

Hope you're right and hope I can stay there, don't think I'll make any changes today.

Demo
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Demo »

spjwsmc wrote:You can only make 4 transfers in stage 2 and four in stage 3, so unless you use 4 in stage 1, they will be lost. I plan to swap for France/Brazil players either today or before their second group game. I agree though, that to blow all 8 stage 1 transfers after three days or so is a bit rash!
Well spotted :oops: That changes everything :?

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

How do you know how many players have played for a team, isn't that confidential?

Steph
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Steph »

You can click on the teams on the leaderboard.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Cheers, you can tell I'm a Dingbat.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Just been through a few top teams on the national leaderboard and I'm amazed how many transfers people have used. Surely the top team won't be there long as he's used up 8 transfers already.

Steph
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Steph »

Seems a lot closer in terms of pts/game. The only teams still above three points per game (that I noticed) are:

3.2 pts/game, Ricardinho's XI 32 pts 10 pl
3.1 pts/game, Wu-Tang Boo-Tang 34 pts 11 pl
3.0 pts/game, Dunn's Donkeys 30 pts 10 pl

Clearly France's and Brazil's damp squibs yesterday will have hurt a few of those teams who seemed to be in a strong position yesterday. However, I also agree that the top of the leaderboard will definitely look different in a few days time, as people use transfers to catch up.

I wonder when people will decide whether to throw everything at the phase 1 prize or to be conservative on transfers and play for the overall prize...

savvyboy
FISOhead

Post by savvyboy »

I'd much rather have the points in the bag, round two will make hell of a dirrerance with the double points, one player gets a couple of goals and thats 12 points.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Is it worth ditching defenders for the 2nd stage? At -2 per goal it could be costly. As extra time is included and teams throw caution to the wind goals could start flying in.

Steph
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Steph »

Much as I'd love to play 0-0-11, we are stuck with a 4-4-2 formation! :wink:

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Seriously though, you could transfer in some Poles T&T and another when they are eliminated.

Steph
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Steph »

Leading points/game before today's games...

1. Ricardinho's XI: 40 pts, 13 played, 3.1 points/game
2. Partizan Surr: 33 pts, 11 played, 3.0 points/game
3. Seymour Scorers: 35 pts, 12 played, 2.9 points/game
4. Tawa Bears: 34 pts, 12 played, 2.8 points/game

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Guardian Fantasy Football Chairman (Game ceased)”