To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

New rules for 2006/07? (Do the game organisers read this?)

A Fantasy Football forum for news and views on Guardian Fantasy Football Chairman.
Dan Kennett
Kevin and Perry

New rules for 2006/07? (Do the game organisers read this?)

Post by Dan Kennett »

1. Ability to schedule subs. Surely this is a must for all those people who can't get on to the internet at 10:30 on a Monday? I'm OK because I've got a desk-based job in IT but there's people on shifts or based outdoors etc You only have to miss one massive switcheroo (eg Essien for Gerrard back in August) and you can be 1m or 2m down on everyone else and it's so hard to make back. Stockbrokers can schedule automatic sales so why not us?
2. Similar to (1) is that Stockbrokers can set sales by "trigger points". eg when this share reaches price N then sell it. Obviously in Fantasy Chairman you'd have to specify a replacement, not just a sale.
3. Get rid of commission free mondays. This will spread the load throughout the week and make people less cavalier when transferring expensive players. If the idea was to make more people buy the Guardian to get the password then it's failed because of forum's like this!!

Then there's the very thorny issue of multiple teams. The Guardian made a tacit admission that the main league was over for all but a handful of teams by starting the "2006 league". One of the factors must be the same manager having 20, 30 or even more teams. I'm not against people like Andrew Forscutt because in real life, stockbrokers can buy as many shares of 1 company as they like SO LONG AS SOMEONE IS PREPARED TO SELL. However, when one manager can have the same player in so many teams and do a mass sell, this can alter the players value by 50k or more and all of a sudden there's a nasty red minus number against the player's value. Then the rest follow...
I've thought about this quite a bit and the best I can come up with is
1) each buy/sell has LESS of an impact on the overall value.
2) multiple buys/sells by the same manager from multiple teams have gradually less of an impact. The first buy gives a rise of value decided by the Guardian. The 2nd buy/sell by that manager gets only 95% of that value, the 3rd 90% and so on down to a minimum value of, say, 50% of the original value.

What does everyone else think?

C.Sativa
Grumpy Old Man

Post by C.Sativa »

You said well,

I allready complaint them about monday mess.
Altough my complaint was about their server but i think they really have 2 sort this problems out for next season.
Also because every body is rushing on monday 10;30 am their server can't handle i guess,it takes ages 2 transfer a player,u want 2 be quick because prices are changing very dramaticly.
I also thought the idea of those a few people can control the pricing by buying wholesale. :

I think we all should have 2 complaint about this like a petition

quizking
Grumpy Old Man
Location: quizking towers, primrose hill; and running the shop at https://www.quizking.net/

Post by quizking »

Dan - hmmm, yes to your first points 1 and 2, not sure i agree with point 3 - not everyone has access to or is aware of fiso and suchlike, and am sure guardian think they might generate even just a few hundred extra sales with the password in the paper, so they'll probably want to stick with it. re multiple entries - don't see it as a huge problem - as there's only one main prize (unfortunately), and even that's not in the same league as other paper's prizes, nor will it be with the entry levels, surely it's not likely that an individual will enter enough teams to be able to influence the price levels. with an approximate 10,000 entries for each of the two years of comp so far;
(and long may at last - it's my fave, even though haven't won) the time, effort and cost of setting up enough teams (say, 100) to swing even enough to win one monthly trip to, say, barcelona, hardly seems worth it. could it be done? any empirical evidence to suggest it's been tried so far, anyone?
edit - duh, it's just occurred to me, and can't be that hard to run - have a code printed in the paper each day. that way, guardian gets extra sales from those who can't track down the code online, and there's (much) less of a transfer peak on mondays. sorted. mr green, are you out there somewhere?!

mongoose
FISOhead

Post by mongoose »

Code everyday would work.

Instead of a commission free monday, a reduced commission code (0.25%) could be implemented as well to reduce wholesale team alteration. The problem with removing the commission free aspect is 100 transfers could be too much.

It could be too difficult and complicated to implement a sloping commision structure per chairmans team so I would not favour this.

The other thing they could do is require seperate logins for each team. This would make life much harder for multi-entries. Saying that, I do not think their impact is that much of a concern.

spjwkhs
Cheetah

Post by spjwkhs »

My main suggestion would be that there should be a greater number of prizes for the overall league, to keep it interesting for more people.

wabu
Treebeard
FS Record: Guardian Winner 2006

Post by wabu »

Yes, I think there should be runners up prizes in the overall competiton. They could have 'Champions League' slots for the best 3 runners up and 'UEFA cup' spots for those just outside of the running. Could also include a wildcard 'Intertoto' prize for the team in the top 50 with the most transfers (to act as the fair play prize!).

Its a bit harsh having an all or nothing prize, the guy who finishes second must be gutted.

I think they shouldn't tinker with this game too much as it is awesome as it is, but I agree faster servers on Mondays would be a big help. The season before when they didn't have the commission code mondays were still really slow so not sure if abandoning that would help.

I also think its impossible to restrict multiple teams as users could operate under different names. The players with many teams spend a lot more and so risk losing more. Its the same as taking a wad of cash down the bookies.

I don't understand mongoose's comments about seperate log-ins, demand would still be affected in the same way.

mongoose
FISOhead

Post by mongoose »

Seperate logins would create a time penalty which would cause multi-entrants to miss out on demand rises.

If I have to log out of a team, then log into another, it would take considerably longer to transfer players and I would have less teams that got a player at a good price point.

I am not saying I advocate this, but it would make managing multiple teams much more hassle - especially when considering how slow the servers can be on a a Monday.

wabu
Treebeard
FS Record: Guardian Winner 2006

Post by wabu »

mongoose wrote:Seperate logins would create a time penalty which would cause multi-entrants to miss out on demand rises.

If I have to log out of a team, then log into another, it would take considerably longer to transfer players and I would have less teams that got a player at a good price point.

I am not saying I advocate this, but it would make managing multiple teams much more hassle - especially when considering how slow the servers can be on a a Monday.
Whats to stop people logging in at the same time to overcome that 'time penalty' with several different browser windows open? It just wouldn't work, and forcing people to use seperate log-ins would be very hard to enforce as they could enter under an alias name.

I can't see this ever happening, although its an interesting idea, as is this whole debate over improvements for next year.

C.Sativa
Grumpy Old Man

Post by C.Sativa »

I don't think monday's rush is because of free commission transfer,
I think mainly people don't want 2 be late otherwise u loose a lot on player prices.
Servers are busy only for 1 hour(approx.)
But when you have D.Ferguson in your team and just had a red card for headbutting and refusing 2 leave the pitch and he's getting 7 match ban than u'v got 2 get rid of him latest 10:35 am otherwise his price will be on the floor :lol:

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Guardian Fantasy Football Chairman (Game ceased)”