To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

GW break but should we still have a free transfer?

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).

Should we still be able to transfer as if there were games?

No - leave as it is stoopid!
56%
Yes - what a great idea Jonathan!
28%
Don't bother me with pointless thoughts!
16%

Total votes: 25

Jonathan
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: ^ That's my dad! ^ KGC Captain's Drive-in 2015 Champ
FS Record: OFL Champions League Sprint finalist 10/11

GW break but should we still have a free transfer?

Post by Jonathan »

Hi all,

I thought I would excite myself by setting up my first ever poll!

I know there are no games for a week due to pointless internationals (IMHO) but it is a shame they don't still treat it as a normal GW regarding transfers which would give us a free transfer plus any others we wish to spend points on this coming week and then reset it from Monday at midnight next week when there are games - if you catch my drift :shock:

MrSmedley
FISOhead

Post by MrSmedley »

No! Leave it as it is stoopid! And don't bother me with pointless thoughts either! :wink:

I wouldn't like to see this rule introduced. I just like the way the game is split into gameweeks rather than using actual weeks. This goes for transfers as well as "Team of the week" etc. IMO.

M-boy
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 94th 07/08

Post by M-boy »

No, to 'add' a gw would just be artificial. The strictures on transfers are there for a reason.

But do bother me with pointless thoughts, and bother everyone else too. I don't want to be the only person posting every thought that comes into my head.

Jonathan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Jonathan »

OK. Let me just word it differently although I know you will say the same - but just treat this week as if there were games, let people transfer a player or two as they wish, have the deadline 11.30am this coming Saturday as normal, then next GW kicks in where it all starts over again, the difference being this time there are games to score points.

Unless I am very much mistaken that is how TFF plays it with transfers - allowing 4 this week and 4 next?

I vote what a great idea Jonathan! :oops:

viddleodge
sir goatus australis
FS Record: now 2nd highest ever weekly score at Goalsneak.com.au

Post by viddleodge »

i voted leave it the same. i would have preferred to vote for get rid of pointless international friendlies, however the aussies are playing uruguay for a long-awaited berth into the world cup.
c'mon schwarzy, kewell, emerton, & cahill. we need a result this time!

Jonathan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Jonathan »

So most would rather not have the opportunity to have 2 free transfers before another game is played - you are all mad I tell you - MAD :wink:

squealy
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL 08/09 - 3692, FPL 07/08 - 667, FPL 06/07 - 5992, FPL 05/06 - 108

Post by squealy »

I'll support yer barmy idea Jonathan. I could do with making at least 3 transfers this gameweek. :)

viddleodge
sir goatus australis

Post by viddleodge »

it might not sound like a big change by itself but every alteration, even a perceived improvement, is one that deviates from a partially mastered existing format, specially for some of the longer-playing managers.
sometimes making it easier for the man on the street is not in the best interests of the more campaigned strategist who may have gotten to know the wrinkles of the game, if ya catch ma drift.

Jonathan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Jonathan »

OK... good for's and against's. Not sure how it would really wreck pre-thought out campaigns - it only happens a few times through the season but I do entirely get the point that the game is set out in such a way with the GWs - and that is its biggest strength I feel - so maybe this little introduction would spoil that somewhat.

What I will add is that when there is little to do when there are GW breaks, it gives people longer to dabble in the market before the next set of games which perhaps makes players prices rise more than they would in a normal week - or is that tosh too? :oops:

fancy dan
Grumpy Old Dan
Location: Having a secret meeting in the basement of my brain
FS Record: Winner of S4's big WC prediction game - and 2-time winner of the Premier League A game!

Post by fancy dan »

Definitely not. A gameweek is a gameweek, not a week. If this was implemented, you'd only get one transfer for a whole week in which there were two sets of games.

redrum
Grumpy Old Man
Location: for 24 years I've been living next door to Alice ...
FS Record: stuck

Post by redrum »

well, these extended gameweeks are hell for those of us playing in office leagues .... the banter and "groundbreaking" theories on team selection reach the same level of lunacy as the summer tabloid transfer gossip..... 2 down, 8 days to go ....

c'mon schwarzy, kewell, emerton, & cahill. we need a result this
time!
sorry ..... i'll take the uruguayans, thanks !

Jonathan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Jonathan »

Definitely not. A gameweek is a gameweek, not a week. If this was implemented, you'd only get one transfer for a whole week in which there were two sets of games.
Nooo! I haven't suggested that at all! I am just saying that when internationals mean no games that we still get the free allocation of a transfer as if there were games.

Tiburon
Treebeard

Post by Tiburon »

I think the rules as they are set up are pretty well thought out and leave then as they are. But the forum is always good to challenge thought so a great thread.

Only thing that mystifies me a bit at times are the price changes. But its close, must be a devil to get a formula that makes total sense to all people at all times, so more a compliment than a criticism as I'm sure I couldn't do better.

Now if you want to talk about the rules of REAL football, that needs some new blood.......

Jonathan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Jonathan »

But the forum is always good to challenge thought so a great thread.
Fank you very muchly. It is very good game I have to admit and you are hard pushed to find anything seriously wrong with it, unlike many other formats - shame I didn't discover it sooner. Is this the second year or has it been running longer?

I tell you what though, with 651,385 registered managers we are doing very well to keep these forums quiet don't you think? :P

squealy
Grumpy Old Man

Post by squealy »

I'm fairly convinced this is the third season I've competed, but then my memory never was up to much.

Without these forums to advise me I would have bought Chimbonda two weeks ago. How disasterous would that have been?

:roll:

Tiburon
Treebeard

Post by Tiburon »

squealy wrote:I'm fairly convinced this is the third season I've competed, but then my memory never was up to much.

Without these forums to advise me I would have bought Chimbonda two weeks ago. How disasterous would that have been?

:roll:
Me too! I was looking to squeeze out some cash from an over-rich defence some weeks ago to pump up the attack and looking for a cheapie. I vaguely remembered some chit chat over good cheapies re: Chimbonda, so picked him and got a bucket of points from it.

The source? Umexcuseme...

squealy
Grumpy Old Man

Post by squealy »

I must be getting the wrong end of the stick. I shied away from buying Chimbonda having been warned of his upcoming fixtures on FISO. Still, we live and learn. Or not, in my case.

Jonathan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Jonathan »

I think most were saying buy him but keep the upcoming fixtures in mind. Wigan have kept 5 clean sheets on the trot (1 was Carling Cup game) and have actually won their last 8 games (2 Carling Cup), but it is hard to see that continuing with the fixtures they have coming up - however, Chimby is still very capable of scoring even if they concede.

UmExcuseMe
Grumpy Old Chinchilla

Post by UmExcuseMe »

Tiburon wrote: Me too! I was looking to squeeze out some cash from an over-rich defence some weeks ago to pump up the attack and looking for a cheapie. I vaguely remembered some chit chat over good cheapies re: Chimbonda, so picked him and got a bucket of points from it.

The source? Umexcuseme...
squealy wrote:I must be getting the wrong end of the stick. I shied away from buying Chimbonda having been warned of his upcoming fixtures on FISO. Still, we live and learn. Or not, in my case.
Yep, I give good advice. Trouble is, I also give really bad advice. (Sun Jihai? Olivier Tebily? :roll:) The trick is to give a lot of advice, so with the sheer weight of numbers it's going to seem like I spot most of the hot picks. So yeah, I predicted the rise of Chimbonda, Nolan, Barton, Bent and a whole bunch of other players, but I'm not gonna qualify for the Nostradamus merit badge until the likes of Gary Breen and Stephen Elliott piling up the points. :wink:

Jonathan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Jonathan »

ooo - look.... someone else thinks its a great idea Jonathan! :D

viddleodge
sir goatus australis

Post by viddleodge »

redrum wrote:well, these extended gameweeks are hell for those of us playing in office leagues .... the banter and "groundbreaking" theories on team selection reach the same level of lunacy as the summer tabloid transfer gossip..... 2 down, 8 days to go ....

c'mon schwarzy, kewell, emerton, & cahill. we need a result this
time!
sorry ..... i'll take the uruguayans, thanks !
well, i hope none of this recurs..

URUGUAY may be the most peaceful spot in South America, but that's not necessarily the image Australian soccer fans have of it.

Four years ago, members of the Australian soccer team were spat at, shoved and set on at Montevideo Airport by a small group of thugs determined to ensure that Uruguay won its World Cup qualifying match. They did, in a bitter 3-0 defeat to the Socceroos.

Now the Australians are back in town for the qualifying play-off for the 2006 finals, and the Uruguayans — at least those on the streets — are working hard to make amends.

"We are not the wild people the Australians seem to think we are. We are the quietest ones here in Latin America," says young Uruguayan journalist Jose Gallo as he sips coffee in a cafe in downtown Buenos Aires opposite the five star-hotel where the Socceroos have spent the past week before tomorrow's crucial World Cup qualifier.

"We have not been in a war for 100 years, and there has not been a civil war in our country since the 1970s. This is not like the rest of the Americas," Gallo says plaintively.

In 2001, the small group of bully boys who greeted the Socceroos were reportedly the hired hands of a powerful figure in Uruguayan soccer who hoped a local victory would boost the profiles — and the value on the international soccer transfer market — of several relatively unknown players. Uruguay got its victory, but Brazil went on to win the 2002 cup.

Today the Socceroos run the gauntlet once again, but this time security has been stepped up dramatically and everyone involved is stressing how unlikely is a repeat of four years ago.

The players were due to land early this morning in Montevideo where they were expected to be given VIP treatment to get them through customs with a minimum of fuss. There were suggestions earlier this week that a transit bus may even drive right up to their plane on the runway to take them to a side airport entrance, from where they would be whisked off to the luxury hotel that will be their base for one night before tomorrow's match.

Last time, the brouhaha at the airport sparked a diplomatic incident, with communication at ambassadorial level and Australian Federal Police being sent to help protect the players at their hotel.

Looking back on the experience this week, Australian captain Mark Viduka said the whole episode had, unfortunately, gathered a momentum of its own.

"Last time it was blown out of proportion a little bit," he said. "There were a few people at the airport who were being silly. But before the game we were staying in the hotel, and the Uruguayan people were really embarrassed about what had happened.

"The normal people in the street didn't want their country to be shown in that light. I think security won't be an issue. We are focused on our job, and I don't think anyone will distract us from that."

For a small country, Uruguay has an impressive record, and not just in sport.

One hundred years ago it introduced one of the world's first welfare states, heralding an enlightened approach to social policy, education and politics that many other countries have yet to embrace. It was, in its heyday, known as the Switzerland of South America, although it fell into economic decline in the 1950s as European demand for its commodity and agricultural exports softened.

In soccer, the tiny South American country of 3 million people was the dominant global power up to 1950.

It racked up several Copa America titles between 1916 and the late 1930s, and took the gold medal at the Olympic Games of 1924 and 1928, the two tournaments regarded as the footballing precursors of the World Cup.

Even today, two of the stands at the venerable Estadio Centenario — the stadium built for Uruguay to host the first World Cup — are named after the stands at grounds in which those Olympics were won, Amsterdam and Colombes. Needless to say, Uruguay won that first World Cup too, beating River Plate rival Argentina 4-2 in the final.

The country was also the first to tap into the genius of its native black players such as Jose Leandro Andrade, known as the Black Pearl.

In 1950, Los Celestes, as the Uruguayan team is known, caused a major World Cup upset when they beat the Brazilians 2-1 in the final at Rio's gigantic Maracana Stadium in front of a crowd some reports have suggested topped the 200,000 mark.

Now the Australians are back with a new coach (Guus Hiddink) and a new resolve.

Skipper Viduka this week pledged that a tougher, more savvy Australia would not be undone this weekend by the tactical naivety that led to its World Cup downfall in Montevideo four years ago.

His teammate John Aloisi, who plays with and against many of the Uruguayans in Spain's Primera Liga, is another who thinks things will be different.

"I don't think we are going to get a bad reception in Montevideo. It's normal that they will try to get us a little bit scared (at the Estadio Centenario, venue for the match), but I think we are looking forward to that. The boys are going to be prepared for it this time, and if they try to scare us or get on our back that will make us want to win even more.

"The last time, they were scared they might lose. A lot of them were scared they were not going to get through.

"If they had not beaten Australia there would have been a lot of trouble in Uruguay because it's do or die for them. That's their life. not only for the footballers, but for everyone around.

"It's a small country, but they are very passionate about their game."

etc.

from http://www.theage.com.au/news/soccer/ey ... click=true

oh, and i forgot to mention viduka

squealy
Grumpy Old Man

Post by squealy »

Blimey! Viduka sounding like a reasonable, sensible bloke shocker.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”