To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

From how far behind can the winner come?

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
reg
FISOhead
FS Record: 7332 overall in FPL 2005/06

From how far behind can the winner come?

Post by reg »

This is my first 'proper' season in the FF league. Last year i participated but it didnt retain my interest for the whole season. This year however ive caught the FF bug a little and am really keen to do well.

Question is, how many points do you reckon you could be behind the leader at this stage and still end up in the top 1000 or so at the end of the season?

Because everybody seems to have such similar players now i cant see myself coming back from where i am. Im on 502 pts at the moment, 87 behind the leader.

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Post by Beerfuelledman »

You are well within catching range. Continue to play sensibly.

Greenman had Cisse complete with broken leg until Xmas last year & finished 14th.

Jonathan
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: ^ That's my dad! ^ KGC Captain's Drive-in 2015 Champ
FS Record: OFL Champions League Sprint finalist 10/11

Post by Jonathan »

Hopefully you are not too far back as I am on 499pts! The thing about this game is that captaincy decisions can make all the difference - even if the teams battling at the top half become very similar (as they are already).

I have fallen away badly after sneaking into the top 500 4 GWs ago - the result purely of bad or, as I like to put it, unlucky captaincy choices.

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Post by Beerfuelledman »

Oops. :oops: That was TFF I was refering to. Cancel.

supertalpu
Treebeard

Post by supertalpu »

i think u have a chance still.....long way to go.....i madeup a 50 pt deficit gainst my mate within the last 3 weeks........... all i wud say is that keep the regulars(lamp,rvn or henry) in ur side n experiment with the other players.......

Wyld
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 25th in the old BBC comp, perpetual mini-league champion...er, that is it

Post by Wyld »

You can still win. :)

Just do NOT pick Henry, Bent, Murphy, RVN, Rooney, Lampard, Terry, or Del Horno. Everyone above you already has those players, so if you put them in your team you will be just as far behind the leaders as you are now. :(

The only way to pass them is to have the players who have not yet come good, but who will do Real Soon Now. :idea:

Therefore the players that you MUST have in your team are @£${[]}}}}, */(¤%### [system error 401] :shock:

Downboys
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 4th 2003/04 FPL

Post by Downboys »

I'm sure the overall winner two seasons ago came from more than 50 points behind in the last 4 or 5 weeks of the season. If you just want to make the top few thousand you will get there by playing sensibly - many drop away as their interest wains, or as they take risks to go for ultimate glory.

Double game weeks can give great opportunities for mammoth points totals.

redrum
Grumpy Old Man
Location: for 24 years I've been living next door to Alice ...
FS Record: stuck

Post by redrum »

think i disagree with Wyld - choosing those players are fundamental as they are sure hits and it will ensure you stay with the leading group. the season is barely 1/4 the way through ... there is heaps of time to wait for a next big thing and that will be the gap to take the league leaders.

padrock
Red & Blue Braces

Post by padrock »

I think Wyld may have been speaking with his tongue firmly embedded in his cheek. I'm hoping Reg isn't too far behind because I'm only on 468 and I'm still hopeful!

redrum
Grumpy Old Man

Post by redrum »

the time will come when you have to create a difference to the leaders though ..... thats when it gets tricky.

btw you been tempted to pick up cisse? someone at liverpool is going to get a heap of goals this year. crouch has hardly taken the opportunity. (still think owen would have been a brilliant buy ...... )

padrock
Red & Blue Braces

Post by padrock »

Nah I'm not gonna touch Cisse with a 10 foot barge pole! First off, I can't afford him what with having RVN & Henry & secondly I don't rate him.

redrum
Grumpy Old Man

Post by redrum »

i currently have mcbride, henry and bent up front. am keen to upgrade to rooney/rvn and am toying with the idea of upgrading mcbride to a 9m striker - which means cisse is a possibility.

i am also sceptical of his ability but the fact remains that the liverpool midfield is strong and they are going to be serving up a heap of chances through the season - sooner or later someone has to start scoring. was keeping an eye on crouch in that regard but he has done nothing.

may take the gamble for a month or two and then unload for crespo when drogba leaves

Jonathan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Jonathan »

Nah I'm not gonna touch Cisse with a 10 foot barge pole!
That is not a very nice way to describe Crouch now is it? :roll:

reg
FISOhead

Post by reg »

Jonathan wrote:Hopefully you are not too far back as I am on 499pts! The thing about this game is that captaincy decisions can make all the difference - even if the teams battling at the top half become very similar (as they are already).

I have fallen away badly after sneaking into the top 500 4 GWs ago - the result purely of bad or, as I like to put it, unlucky captaincy choices.
This raises a question then Jonathan, who to choose as captain tomorrow. I would go for Henry but if he doesnt play then its a waste.

Reckon i might go for Lamps as i missed his big score last week.

Actually, thinking about it i may go for RVN,

Scrub that im going for Henry,

Actrually, aaarrrgggghhhh!

Jonathan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Jonathan »

I think most will take the Lamps route which won't see you pull back too many points if you go the same way. Henry is a risk but it could pay off but I would be inclined to hang on a week at least.

It is a straight 50/50 choice - Lamps or RVN - both good choices and luck plays a huge part. Some weeks RVN will outscore Lamps, some the other way round.

I missed out on both the recent big point hauls from Lamps but benefited earlier in the season. I feel as far as captaincy goes it will even out between the two - but swapping around between the two could result in missing out EVERY week!

Wyld
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 25th in the old BBC comp, perpetual mini-league champion...er, that is it

Post by Wyld »

padrock wrote:I think Wyld may have been speaking with his tongue firmly embedded in his cheek. I'm hoping Reg isn't too far behind because I'm only on 468 and I'm still hopeful!
I might have been, but I don't think I was. I really am getting a little tired of all this debate about how to shoehorn Henry, Rooney, RVN, Murphy, Lamps, Bent, Terry, or VDS into some team that is already top heavy with big names. Yes, or couse we would all like to have had them in our teams from the start, but then again no. What's the point? I only have one team in one competition and I want that team to win. I want it to win my mini-league. I want it to win the FISO league. And I want it to win the overall league. And if I copy the rest of you, that is not going to happen. The only way it can happen is by being DIFFERENT. We are all copying one another and, although that will mean that we will do well overall, it also means we are not going to catch up with the leaders. This is why, next week, I will be introducing the lanky-beanpole, utter-shite. shouldn't-play-for-Luton-let-alone-England Peter Crouch into my team. I have absolute faith that the boy will come good and that you will all be wondering why you stuck with RVN or Rooney or some other loser, and if maybe you shouldn't take a 4 point hit to bring Crouch in now he's hot. But it will be too late because I WILL HAVE PASSED YOU AND YOU WILL BE TASTING MY DUST SUCKERS ha ha ha ha ho ho ho ho. Excuse me while I go for my medication. :shock:

MrSmedley
FISOhead

Post by MrSmedley »

Jonathan wrote:swapping around between the two could result in missing out EVERY week!
Yeah and might also have you being correct EVERY week!

Wyld, you have a good point, but it all depends on how risky you want to be - your method might give a 10% of chance of top 100 and 90% outside the top 5000 but I prefer a 90% chance of top 1000 with no chance of winning - all I want to do is win my minileague of 15 people, and that's the best way to do it given that only 2 of us are "following the pack".

UmExcuseMe
Grumpy Old Chinchilla

Post by UmExcuseMe »

redrum wrote: i am also sceptical of his ability but the fact remains that the liverpool midfield is strong and they are going to be serving up a heap of chances through the season - sooner or later someone has to start scoring. was keeping an eye on crouch in that regard but he has done nothing.
Um, shouldn't you be getting Liverpool midfielders then? (watch this develop into a "How Do I Get Gerrard" thread :wink:)

reg
FISOhead

Post by reg »

Wyld wrote:You can still win. :)

Just do NOT pick Henry, Bent, Murphy, RVN, Rooney, Lampard, Terry, or Del Horno. Everyone above you already has those players, so if you put them in your team you will be just as far behind the leaders as you are now. :(

The only way to pass them is to have the players who have not yet come good, but who will do Real Soon Now. :idea:

Therefore the players that you MUST have in your team are @£${[]}}}}, */(¤%### [system error 401] :shock:
Not sure i agree entirely, although i see your point.

Ive now got, Henry, RVN, Bent, Lampard, Barton, Gallas - all popular players. I did have Murphy but sacrificed him for Henry.

Im hoping that by having all the big 3 (Lamps, RVN, Henry) i will gain on my rivals who only have 2 out of the 3. Then my next level of players (Bent, Barton, Gallas, Oshea, Carragher) should keep my ticking over.

If i am to make up some real ground then my lower level players, (N'Zogbia, Kishishev, Jaskalinen) need to earn points and my captain decisions need to be spot on.

Maybe the secret is is to have more of these kind of players than your rivals, not less!?

redrum
Grumpy Old Man

Post by redrum »

just as the premiership is not won before xmas, FF is not won in october ......

keeping the big names ensures that you will be either in the top bunch or withing striking distance when things start getting hectic in March. i just don't see any sense in taking high risk/high return gambles now - well certainly not with the big names players.

i think your team has to have a core of "bankers" and one or two gambles on the fringes.

my starting team for this week has:

dudes: reina, carragher, gallas, lamps, murphy, henry
wannabees: perry, barton, bent
johnny come latelys: davis (avl), gray (bla)

plan for next week is to bin barton and upgrade my third striker (currently mcbride)

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”