View Latest: 1 Day | FISO Injury Search

Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - Summary in OP

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Post Reply
User avatar
Stemania
FISO Knight
Posts: 19070
Joined: 27 Aug 2006, 11:54
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 1,302nd. FFS Career HoF 58th (Live peak 4th). Somehow six consecutive FPL Top 10k's before losing all ability...

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - Summary in OP

Post by Stemania » 08 Mar 2019, 01:16

I don't think the stadium issue is a factor in GW32 tbh - the fixture would be midweek when Wembley would presumably be free. Besides, if TOT vs BHA were in GW35 it would just mean TOT vs CRY (their definite DGW other fixture) would be in GW32 in it's place, so it doesn't actually help!

User avatar
RuudTheDudeVanTheMan
Grumpy Old Man
Posts: 1052
Joined: 27 Jan 2017, 09:58
FS Record: Pioneer and perpetual main protagonist of the prestigious perennial Phlegmiership. Other than that particularly pointless prize pretty average.

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - Summary in OP

Post by RuudTheDudeVanTheMan » 08 Mar 2019, 03:13

Pirlo's Beard wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 00:37
Stemania wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 23:24
(I'm pretty sure that's all correct, will recheck tomorrow)
And I'm pretty sure my brain just collapsed in on itself about halfway through that post. :lol:
Haha yup and I am definitely too high to be trying to understand all that!

User avatar
zipnolan
Grumpy Old Man
Posts: 4156
Joined: 26 Sep 2006, 23:42
Location: Where babies go to smoke
FS Record: Ex FISODAS champ; 2009 TFF 95th, MOTW and TFF cup qtr finalist, TFFO 78th, FPL 346th
FISO Goals: Score: 223 Position: 12
Contact:

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - Summary in OP

Post by zipnolan » 08 Mar 2019, 06:58

Absolutely- a few minutes in Boolean hell....

User avatar
The Real Slim Shady
Dumbledore
Posts: 8648
Joined: 19 Jan 2010, 01:21
Location: Los Angeles, CA
FS Record: 1,465th in FPL 05/06
Contact:

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - Summary in OP

Post by The Real Slim Shady » 08 Mar 2019, 08:24

muldoon wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 10:39
Is it possible to set up a FISO league/mini league for the run in, so from weeks 31-38, so we can easily see how we all manage the upcoming swings and roundabouts?

I think it was @mrclarinet who set one up a few years ago, and it was good to see how peoples different approaches earned points. I don't think it yielded any conclusive 'must do that' methods, but it was a fun exercise and made the grand finale more exciting, especially for those of those of us not troubling the sharp end of the leader board :oops:

I'm a total luddite and have never set up a league, so don't know if this is still technically possible, but if it is, is anyone else interested and could someone set it up?
I don’t mind setting up a mini league for 31-38 if anyone’s interested.

User avatar
ianthegirth
FISOhead
Posts: 566
Joined: 17 Aug 2006, 16:05
Location: roots hall

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - Summary in OP

Post by ianthegirth » 08 Mar 2019, 08:51

I would join if a league for 31-38 is created. Interested to see how the various strategies play out.

User avatar
Ralfbergs
Dumbledore
Posts: 6679
Joined: 25 Jul 2011, 09:09
Location: LVA
FS Record: Murfs Premiership Predictions Knockout Cup 13/14 Winner
FISO Goals: Score: 242 Position: 1

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - Summary in OP

Post by Ralfbergs » 08 Mar 2019, 09:02

Thought I will leave it late and start checking what FISOers say about DGW planning etc when it is really close and now it turns out there are 26 pages here with comments :lol:

raoul
Grumpy Old Man
Posts: 1349
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:32
FS Record: got up to 3rd in TFF overall one Christmas about 15 years ago ... and won Football Fantastic (how I miss thee) one year. Apart from that, pants.

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - Summary in OP

Post by raoul » 08 Mar 2019, 09:32

Ralfbergs wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 09:02
Thought I will leave it late and start checking what FISOers say about DGW planning etc when it is really close and now it turns out there are 26 pages here with comments :lol:
some of which require a phd to understand :shock:

User avatar
jazzyb69
FISOhead
Posts: 864
Joined: 08 Aug 2006, 17:42
Location: Essex
FS Record: 2009/10 season = 2,432 points 1,385th. Best week total = 188 (2016/17 season)

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - Summary in OP

Post by jazzyb69 » 08 Mar 2019, 10:35

The Real Slim Shady wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 08:24
muldoon wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 10:39
Is it possible to set up a FISO league/mini league for the run in, so from weeks 31-38, so we can easily see how we all manage the upcoming swings and roundabouts?

I think it was @mrclarinet who set one up a few years ago, and it was good to see how peoples different approaches earned points. I don't think it yielded any conclusive 'must do that' methods, but it was a fun exercise and made the grand finale more exciting, especially for those of those of us not troubling the sharp end of the leader board :oops:

I'm a total luddite and have never set up a league, so don't know if this is still technically possible, but if it is, is anyone else interested and could someone set it up?
I don’t mind setting up a mini league for 31-38 if anyone’s interested.

I'd join the league if one was created but would also like to suggest that we start it from GW30 for those of us ( :oops: ) that were foolish enough to take a risk and play their WC this week.

johnjoe107
Treebeard
Posts: 136
Joined: 29 May 2016, 16:05
FS Record: Never been outside the top 3

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - Summary in OP

Post by johnjoe107 » 08 Mar 2019, 11:51

My head has officially melted trying work the best plan for the upcoming weeks.

Decided on going with 10 players in GW31, using the Wild Card in GW32 then using Triple Captain chip in GW35.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carlitobrigante
Cheetah
Posts: 8
Joined: 10 Feb 2019, 14:31
FS Record: shite

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - Summary in OP

Post by carlitobrigante » 08 Mar 2019, 12:40

Clever folks - is there anything fundamentally wrong with this?

GW31 - field 8 with no hits
GW32 - TC Aguero or Sterling - field what is looking like being 9/10 doublers
GW33 - Free Hit
GW34 - WC, setting up for Bench Boost in GW35
GW35 - BB

johnjoe107
Treebeard
Posts: 136
Joined: 29 May 2016, 16:05
FS Record: Never been outside the top 3

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - Summary in OP

Post by johnjoe107 » 08 Mar 2019, 12:49

carlitobrigante wrote:Clever folks - is there anything fundamentally wrong with this?

GW31 - field 8 with no hits
GW32 - TC Aguero or Sterling - field what is looking like being 9/10 doublers
GW33 - Free Hit
GW34 - WC, setting up for Bench Boost in GW35
GW35 - BB

Looks solid? Who are your GW32 Doublers?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

raoul
Grumpy Old Man
Posts: 1349
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:32
FS Record: got up to 3rd in TFF overall one Christmas about 15 years ago ... and won Football Fantastic (how I miss thee) one year. Apart from that, pants.

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - Summary in OP

Post by raoul » 08 Mar 2019, 12:54

carlitobrigante wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 12:40
Clever folks - is there anything fundamentally wrong with this?

GW31 - field 8 with no hits
GW32 - TC Aguero or Sterling - field what is looking like being 9/10 doublers
GW33 - Free Hit
GW34 - WC, setting up for Bench Boost in GW35
GW35 - BB
if GW32 is your TC week then it looks sensible to me.

Of course, if Swansea do the unthinkable...

carlitobrigante
Cheetah
Posts: 8
Joined: 10 Feb 2019, 14:31
FS Record: shite

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - Summary in OP

Post by carlitobrigante » 08 Mar 2019, 12:57

johnjoe107 wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 12:49
carlitobrigante wrote:Clever folks - is there anything fundamentally wrong with this?

GW31 - field 8 with no hits
GW32 - TC Aguero or Sterling - field what is looking like being 9/10 doublers
GW33 - Free Hit
GW34 - WC, setting up for Bench Boost in GW35
GW35 - BB

Looks solid? Who are your GW32 Doublers?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man City x 3 = Aguero, Sterling, Ederson
Man Utd x 3 = Lindelof, Pogba, Rashford
Wolves x 2 = Jonny, Jota
Chelsea x 2 = Hazard, Luiz

This is dependant on me bringing a couple of them in. But they will be FT's.

And obviously I'm gambling that Man City and Chelsea will have doubles in 32. But I'm convinced that they will.

raoul
Grumpy Old Man
Posts: 1349
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:32
FS Record: got up to 3rd in TFF overall one Christmas about 15 years ago ... and won Football Fantastic (how I miss thee) one year. Apart from that, pants.

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - Summary in OP

Post by raoul » 08 Mar 2019, 13:04

carlitobrigante wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 12:57
johnjoe107 wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 12:49
carlitobrigante wrote:Clever folks - is there anything fundamentally wrong with this?

GW31 - field 8 with no hits
GW32 - TC Aguero or Sterling - field what is looking like being 9/10 doublers
GW33 - Free Hit
GW34 - WC, setting up for Bench Boost in GW35
GW35 - BB

Looks solid? Who are your GW32 Doublers?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man City x 3 = Aguero, Sterling, Ederson
Man Utd x 3 = Lindelof, Pogba, Rashford
Wolves x 2 = Jonny, Jota
Chelsea x 2 = Hazard, Luiz

This is dependant on me bringing a couple of them in. But they will be FT's.

And obviously I'm gambling that Man City and Chelsea will have doubles in 32. But I'm convinced that they will.
who do you have for GW31?

User avatar
Vsz
Grumpy Old Man
Posts: 1927
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:34
Location: London Town
FS Record: Won lots of cash leagues and was once, very briefly, top of TFF
FISO Goals: Score: 44 Position: 48

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - Summary in OP

Post by Vsz » 08 Mar 2019, 15:11

Stemania wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 00:51
Perhaps one thing worth pointing out (assuming that is all correct - big assumption :lol: ) is that GW32 is not quite so heavy a favourite for CHE vs BHA as is widely assumed. The foundation of that assumption was the likelihood of its rearrangement being announced before GW31 - putting it in GW35 could have forced an unnecessary DGW.

But I can't now see any reason why TOT vs BHA couldn't just go in GW32 instead (if Brighton beat Milwall), other than the chronology of when they were postponed. Can anyone else? BHA vs CAR would be in GW36/37, so the fact Cardiff had a potential City double in GW32 would be an irrelevance rather than a driving factor. CHE vs BHA would still be in GW32 more likely than not due to (1), just not overwhelming favourite, maybe 65-70% assuming a City win, and less if not? :)
Oh man, so I should be loading up on TOT instead of Chels?! :(

I am on the same plan as the chap above, FH31, TC32 (had an eye on Haz or Pog), fight fires GW33 then WC34, BB3. Doing this means I will keep my United and Wolves players with a lot of value tied up (and Robertson at Liv), i.e. Rash, Pog, Doherty and jiminez and bench them for 33. Will get probably 8 out that GW.

I was going to bring in David Luiz, but maybe I'll hold fire now, still FH31 and then see where I'm at for 32 with 1FT.

User avatar
Stemania
FISO Knight
Posts: 19070
Joined: 27 Aug 2006, 11:54
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 1,302nd. FFS Career HoF 58th (Live peak 4th). Somehow six consecutive FPL Top 10k's before losing all ability...

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - Summary in OP

Post by Stemania » 08 Mar 2019, 15:31


Vsz wrote: Oh man, so I should be loading up on TOT instead of Chels?! :(
I wouldn't quite say that. It's still odds on for CHE vs BHA to be the Brighton's game in DGW32, rather than TOT vs BHA a quick calc suggests, it's just that it's nowhere near a sure thing.

If you want to put your eggs in a "the FA will try to keep it chronological whenever they have a choice" argument then Chelsea are heavy heavy favourite still, but there is very little evidence that is the FA's priority imo.

My advice would probably be to hedge a little if FHing in 31, but not too much, otherwise not a great deal changes because Chelsea are still great transfers in for the blanks. Depends whether you wish to gamble on specific results now or not. :)


User avatar
Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla
Posts: 6244
Joined: 25 May 2015, 22:46

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - Summary in OP

Post by Ruth_NZ » 08 Mar 2019, 19:09

"We have held discussions with the Premier League and UEFA. The following has been agreed with the Premier League, Brighton and Crystal Palace to ensure that our first game (at the new WHL) is a Premier League match prior to a UEFA Champions League quarter-final match:

If Brighton win their FA Cup quarter-final match on Sunday 17th March we shall play Crystal Palace on Wednesday 3rd April and Brighton on 23rd/24th April.

If Brighton lose their FA Cup quarter-final match on Sunday 17th March we shall play Brighton on 6th/7th April (subject to Champions League scheduling) and Crystal Palace on 23rd/24th April."

Spurs Website

User avatar
Aldershot Rejects
Dumbledore
Posts: 6548
Joined: 03 Aug 2011, 17:15
Location: Kent
FS Record: 5th Metro (2010-11); 146 - Sky (2015-16); 218 - Sky (2014-15); 636 - FPL (2017-18)

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - Summary in OP

Post by Aldershot Rejects » 08 Mar 2019, 19:34

Ruth_NZ wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 19:09
"We have held discussions with the Premier League and UEFA. The following has been agreed with the Premier League, Brighton and Crystal Palace to ensure that our first game (at the new WHL) is a Premier League match prior to a UEFA Champions League quarter-final match:

If Brighton win their FA Cup quarter-final match on Sunday 17th March we shall play Crystal Palace on Wednesday 3rd April and Brighton on 23rd/24th April.

If Brighton lose their FA Cup quarter-final match on Sunday 17th March we shall play Brighton on 6th/7th April (subject to Champions League scheduling) and Crystal Palace on 23rd/24th April."

Spurs Website
Just saw that, so

Brighton win cup game: GW32 inc TOT v CPL (and presumably CHE V BRI given EL result last night); GW35 inc TOT v BRI and NEW v CPL (if CPL also win); GW36/7? BRI v CAR
Brighton lose cup game: GW32 no TOT but NEW v CPL (if CPL win); GW35 TOT v CPL

If Brighton lose and CPL win their cup times, CPL have an enticing GW32 of HUD new which will nicely complement the City and Utd doubles.

I think ;)

User avatar
Vsz
Grumpy Old Man
Posts: 1927
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:34
Location: London Town
FS Record: Won lots of cash leagues and was once, very briefly, top of TFF
FISO Goals: Score: 44 Position: 48

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - Summary in OP

Post by Vsz » 08 Mar 2019, 22:36

You would think Spurs will put a full strength team out for their first home match at the new stadium, even if they have CL quarter soon after.

User avatar
Stemania
FISO Knight
Posts: 19070
Joined: 27 Aug 2006, 11:54
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 1,302nd. FFS Career HoF 58th (Live peak 4th). Somehow six consecutive FPL Top 10k's before losing all ability...

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - Summary in OP

Post by Stemania » 08 Mar 2019, 22:36

Sweet, well played Spurs.

CHE vs BHA confirmed for GW32 if City beat Swansea.

User avatar
Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla
Posts: 6244
Joined: 25 May 2015, 22:46

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - Summary in OP

Post by Ruth_NZ » 08 Mar 2019, 22:38

So... if Brighton beat Millwall we have these doublers in GW32:

Wolves - bur MUN
United - WAT wol
Chelsea - car BHA
Brighton - SOU che
City - ful CAR (assumes City beat Swansea)
Cardiff - CHE mci (assumes City beat Swansea)
Spurs - liv CPL
Palace - HUD tot

And then... if Watford beat Palace their 2 DGWs can be in either order (so GW32 could be mun FUL or mun SOU for them and either Fulham will have MCI wat or Soton will have bha wat).

Whereas if Millwall beat Brighton we have these doublers in GW32:

Wolves - bur MUN
United - WAT wol
Chelsea - car BHA
Brighton - SOU che
City - ful CAR (assumes City beat Swansea)
Cardiff - CHE mci (assumes City beat Swansea)
Palace - HUD new (if Palace beat Watford)
Newcastle - ars CPL (if Palace beat Watford).

Once again, if Watford beat Palace their DGW fixtures can go in either order as above.

I think the big take-away is that Chelsea now have a guaranteed GW32 of car BHA. :)
In addition, it looks like 4-5 extra games in GW32, so 8-10 teams with doubles. GW35 could conceivably be as big a DGW in terms of numbers as GW32.

I think that's right anyway.

User avatar
Vsz
Grumpy Old Man
Posts: 1927
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:34
Location: London Town
FS Record: Won lots of cash leagues and was once, very briefly, top of TFF
FISO Goals: Score: 44 Position: 48

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - Summary in OP

Post by Vsz » 08 Mar 2019, 22:40

Quality, well done Ruth!

User avatar
Vsz
Grumpy Old Man
Posts: 1927
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:34
Location: London Town
FS Record: Won lots of cash leagues and was once, very briefly, top of TFF
FISO Goals: Score: 44 Position: 48

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - Summary in OP

Post by Vsz » 08 Mar 2019, 22:45

As we thought then, super tasty doubles for the big teams, City, Chels and Utd. Palace's also good.

I'll certainly be playing my TC in GW32. Haz/Pog I think (or poss Aguero).

User avatar
Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla
Posts: 6244
Joined: 25 May 2015, 22:46

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - Summary in OP

Post by Ruth_NZ » 08 Mar 2019, 23:29

Ruth_NZ wrote: I think the big take-away is that Chelsea now have a guaranteed GW32 of car BHA. :)
OK, perhaps not guaranteed but very highly likely. For it not to happen, City would need to lose to Swansea and Brighton would need to lose to Millwall and the FA would need to make a decision that fails to support a team still involved in Europe (Chelsea/Brighton isn't likely to be wanted as a TV game and therefore could go into GW32 just as easily as GW35 with Brighton/Cardiff taking the other slot).

To all intents and purposes it is going to happen; it would take a pretty improbable chain of eventualities for it not to anyway.

User avatar
Smurphy's Paw
Grumpy Old Man
Posts: 3937
Joined: 17 Aug 2006, 17:48
FS Record: 13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - Summary in OP

Post by Smurphy's Paw » 09 Mar 2019, 00:34

There’s a really good, affordable free hit team in there without the cash sunk into three Liverpool players

User avatar
Aldershot Rejects
Dumbledore
Posts: 6548
Joined: 03 Aug 2011, 17:15
Location: Kent
FS Record: 5th Metro (2010-11); 146 - Sky (2015-16); 218 - Sky (2014-15); 636 - FPL (2017-18)

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - Summary in OP

Post by Aldershot Rejects » 09 Mar 2019, 00:43

Smurphy's Paw wrote:
09 Mar 2019, 00:34
There’s a really good, affordable free hit team in there without the cash sunk into three Liverpool players
Which is one of the attractions of the FH31 strategy. I am also attracted by the possibility of being able to strip the bench to bare bones cost wise and get maximum cash on the pitch given some of the options that are available.

User avatar
Smurphy's Paw
Grumpy Old Man
Posts: 3937
Joined: 17 Aug 2006, 17:48
FS Record: 13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - Summary in OP

Post by Smurphy's Paw » 09 Mar 2019, 00:49

I’m not sure I understand how that lends itself to GW31FH

User avatar
The Real Slim Shady
Dumbledore
Posts: 8648
Joined: 19 Jan 2010, 01:21
Location: Los Angeles, CA
FS Record: 1,465th in FPL 05/06
Contact:

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - Summary in OP

Post by The Real Slim Shady » 09 Mar 2019, 04:38

Ive gone ahead and created a 31-38 league if anyones interested to join;

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=129955

9138-1367903

User avatar
brencarr
Grumpy Old Man
Posts: 2878
Joined: 22 Feb 2014, 14:41
Location: Gold Coast QLD
FS Record: TFF best finish; 60th 2013/14

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - Summary in OP

Post by brencarr » 09 Mar 2019, 05:48

I've joined the league, I have all chips remaining and I'm planning the following route ....
GW31 - FH
GW32 - TC
GW33 - Hope for the best
GW34 - WC
GW35 - BB

User avatar
Pirlo's Beard
Dumbledore
Posts: 9246
Joined: 21 Aug 2013, 17:48

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - Summary in OP

Post by Pirlo's Beard » 09 Mar 2019, 06:00

brencarr wrote:
09 Mar 2019, 05:48
GW33 - Hope for the best
Ah yes, that time-honoured strategy. :lol: :wink:

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts
Post Reply

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: From4corners, Rick, snout, Sutter Kane, tarkens and 26 guests