View Latest: 1 Day | FISO Injury Search

Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - Summary in OP

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Post Reply
User avatar
tommyk7
Grumpy Old Man
Posts: 3267
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 20:14
Location: New York City

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - DGW25 Confirmed

Post by tommyk7 » 04 Feb 2019, 16:31

Thinking seriously about using the FH in GW27. Will be missing 4 out of my starting front 7 and the other three play ARS, TOT, ManU. And no Kepa or Luiz.

User avatar
Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
Posts: 12962
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:26
Location: In Norn Iron
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - DGW25 Confirmed

Post by Beerfuelledman » 04 Feb 2019, 17:26

It's time to think about a strategy and somewhat oddly I haven't seen too many proposed here. I'm currently amending my fringe players to cope with BGW31. Players under consideration moving on are 2 of Firminio, Mane, Robertson (Have Salah) Vardy, Maddison, Pereira and I have Cook (BOU) Puncheon (HUD) and Fab (WHU) anyway. Liverpool assets should be fine and Leicester at least have good fixtures until then even if I'm not wholly convinced on dumping current resources. Players like Salah/Pogba/Rashford will have to remain anyway as I have too much value in them.
Then FH32 for the DGW
Team reverts to BGW31 team for BGW33
WC34
BB35.

Latest suggestion I've seen from a very good FPL player is FH BGW31, TC in DGW32 and keep fingers crossed for BGW33...

I'll be keeping my eye to any further fixtures in 31/33 and am tentatively moving this direction unless anyone has a better plan.

User avatar
snout
FISO Knight
Posts: 11739
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:28
Location: Bread shop
FS Record: a slice of that cake, over there
Contact:

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - DGW25 Confirmed

Post by snout » 04 Feb 2019, 18:45

Beerfuelledman wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 17:26
It's time to think about a strategy and somewhat oddly I haven't seen too many proposed here. I'm currently amending my fringe players to cope with BGW31. Players under consideration moving on are 2 of Firminio, Mane, Robertson (Have Salah) Vardy, Maddison, Pereira and I have Cook (BOU) Puncheon (HUD) and Fab (WHU) anyway. Liverpool assets should be fine and Leicester at least have good fixtures until then even if I'm not wholly convinced on dumping current resources. Players like Salah/Pogba/Rashford will have to remain anyway as I have too much value in them.
Then FH32 for the DGW
Team reverts to BGW31 team for BGW33
WC34
BB35.
This feels the most natural plan to me. The alternative being [edit - ignore that, confused myself, tired today].

I think the decision comes down to an analysis of the best teams to pick (and to avoid) for DGWs. Best: ARS, BOU, CHE, LEI. Worst: CAR, CPL, EVE, FUL, SOU, WOL. The two Manchester clubs are interesting, likely to have a mixed bag. And Tottenham don't look too inviting.

[edit - snip]

As an aside, I personally won't worry too much about losing value in players. We'll be at the stage of the season where you've earned the right to cash in, for a larger goal.

User avatar
Stemania
FISO Knight
Posts: 18842
Joined: 27 Aug 2006, 11:54
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 1,302nd. FFS Career HoF 58th (Live peak 4th). Somehow six consecutive FPL Top 10k's before losing all ability...

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - DGW25 Confirmed

Post by Stemania » 04 Feb 2019, 22:06

There's a huge batch of info after this weekend with the FA Cup 5th round (so between GW26 & GW27) and focus is very much on the blank GW27 atm, explaining the lack of thought at present. Also the cup replays in the next day or two.

I'm still sat on FH32 WC34 BB35 as a placeholder too, but a lot will depend on the FA cup results - for that strategy to successful it really needs at least a few good non-blank teams to invest in for 31 & 33. Most importantly they need to be 'good enough' so as not to distort a team too badly in the runup to GW31. At the moment the obvious confirmed BGW31 & 33 picks roughly consist of 3 Liverpool. Then it's Wilson and maybe a punt on Watford or Leicester. Hmmm.

There's a worst case scenario where all the big teams (bar Liverpool) have a blank 31, and I'm not sure there would be enough wiggle room to hit 31 without a chip in that case - because our teams would likely be carrying so many blankers. FH31 definitely has some merit imo, should the circumstances be right. :)

raoul
Grumpy Old Man
Posts: 1142
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:32
FS Record: got up to 3rd in TFF overall one Christmas about 15 years ago ... and won Football Fantastic (how I miss thee) one year. Apart from that, pants.

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - DGW25 Confirmed

Post by raoul » 05 Feb 2019, 10:12

As someone who has only FH and TC chips left to play, the strategy needs to be both considered and probably started now. So I have thought about this more than most at this point, I suspect.

To make matters worse, I only have 2 players at present who are guaranteed a game in GW31. So preserving the FH for GW32 seems challenging, to say the least. The replays cannot help me much in this respect.

In fact, and ignoring my personal situation, of the 6 GW31 fixtures that are currently at risk, which of them has opportunities to be exploited?

MU v MC (goals in this one perhaps?)
Everton v Chelsea
Spurs v CP
Wolves v Arsenal
Watford v Southampton
Brighton v Cardiff

To me, the 4 most usable fixtures are the ones already safe (below). If any of the above free themselves up then it might add a player or two, but anyone playing GW31 without a chip pretty much knows their lot already (especially as MU v MC looks the least likely of the above to happen).

Bournemouth v Newcastle
Burnley v Leicester
WHU v Huddersfield
Fulham v Liverpool

Liverpool, Leicester, Bournemouth and WHU presumably. And all four have decent GW30 fixtures. Three of them are well set for GW33 as well.

The far harder prospect is GW32 and doubles. There could be 12 teams doubling, but I can't see many that look that enticing.

Magic
Red & Blue Braces
Posts: 402
Joined: 16 Jul 2017, 08:29
FS Record: Improving

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - DGW25 Confirmed

Post by Magic » 05 Feb 2019, 10:21

TheRumourMill wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 16:55
snout wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 16:21
I don't suppose there is any real chance of postponements due to snow/frozen approaches? Not seen any hint of it.
No. Doesn't ever happen these days, premier league clubs are too well prepared to let it happen what with undersoil heating compulsory, teams of volunteers to clear concourses, and better infrastructure. Even Huddersfield who have comparitively little resources and who last season were under about 2 foot of snow got their games played with no issues.
Erm, no, it does happen. But usually as a result of local authorities elf n safety paranoia.

User avatar
Smurphy's Paw
Grumpy Old Man
Posts: 3754
Joined: 17 Aug 2006, 17:48
FS Record: 13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - DGW25 Confirmed

Post by Smurphy's Paw » 05 Feb 2019, 10:32

raoul ^
I think that this is a reasonable analysis. The teams that have good GW31 & GW33 are the ones that I have been looking at. This probably means holding my two expensive Liverpool defenders even though they’re not firing on all cylinders at the moment.
There’s nothing ground breaking in the following, others have already made the same suggestions:
After some initial playing around I have identified Leicester defenders/GK after this GW.
By GW30 I am hoping that Wilson will be fit again. Or if not, whoever is playing out of King/Solanke
Fraser and Brooks as inexpensive midfielders
Anderson* Here as a marker. He doesn’t currently have a GW33 but the Chelsea v Man U Cup tie is important and would open up a number of possibilities

raoul
Grumpy Old Man
Posts: 1142
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:32
FS Record: got up to 3rd in TFF overall one Christmas about 15 years ago ... and won Football Fantastic (how I miss thee) one year. Apart from that, pants.

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - DGW25 Confirmed

Post by raoul » 05 Feb 2019, 15:27

Smurphy's Paw wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 10:32
raoul ^
I think that this is a reasonable analysis. The teams that have good GW31 & GW33 are the ones that I have been looking at. This probably means holding my two expensive Liverpool defenders even though they’re not firing on all cylinders at the moment.
There’s nothing ground breaking in the following, others have already made the same suggestions:
After some initial playing around I have identified Leicester defenders/GK after this GW.
By GW30 I am hoping that Wilson will be fit again. Or if not, whoever is playing out of King/Solanke
Fraser and Brooks as inexpensive midfielders
Anderson* Here as a marker. He doesn’t currently have a GW33 but the Chelsea v Man U Cup tie is important and would open up a number of possibilities
If I go with the plan to max out GW31, based on current safe matches, my transfer this week is no big deal. In fact it could wait till GW27, when we will know a lot more.

My problem is that if I want to max out GW32 instead (and FH in GW31), then I feel a little in the dark as to whether I have to make a strategic transfer this week or not. I suppose if I have to make a transfer later then it is only 4 pts, and with the benefit of knowing GW31 in full, so...

Do we have any idea of when rearranged GW31 fixtures would be announced? Could it happen straight after the Feb 16th weekend cup games are done?

Would be nice to know GW32 as well as GW31 before wading in a big plan.

User avatar
quizking
Grumpy Old Man
Posts: 2150
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:32
Location: quizking towers, primrose hill; and running the shop at quizking.eu
Contact:

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - DGW25 Confirmed

Post by quizking » 05 Feb 2019, 17:17

Sunderland v Reading was called off after torrential rain in AUGUST 2012 ... seven matches off january 2010, am sure google could help you find if there has been anything since then. There can also be other random factors - for example the spurs everton match at start of the 2011/12 season was off on police advice after the tottenham riots.

User avatar
Mr Clarinet
Grumpy Old Man
Posts: 2013
Joined: 30 Sep 2008, 17:35
Location: I'm not really here

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - DGW25 Confirmed

Post by Mr Clarinet » 05 Feb 2019, 17:35

quizking wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 17:17
Sunderland v Reading was called off after torrential rain in AUGUST 2012 ... seven matches off january 2010, am sure google could help you find if there has been anything since then. There can also be other random factors - for example the spurs everton match at start of the 2011/12 season was off on police advice after the tottenham riots.
IIRC City had a game called off (vs Sunderland?) in Feb (?) 2014.

Finisher1
Dumbledore
Posts: 6083
Joined: 05 Mar 2013, 10:10

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - DGW25 Confirmed

Post by Finisher1 » 05 Feb 2019, 17:44

quizking wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 17:17
Sunderland v Reading was called off after torrential rain in AUGUST 2012 ... seven matches off january 2010, am sure google could help you find if there has been anything since then. There can also be other random factors - for example the spurs everton match at start of the 2011/12 season was off on police advice after the tottenham riots.
Thank you quizking. So to answer snout's initial question, it seems very unusual for an EPL match to get postponed due to weather these days, so I don't think anyone here should expect we get more DGWs because of weather. Make of that what you will :)

User avatar
snout
FISO Knight
Posts: 11739
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:28
Location: Bread shop
FS Record: a slice of that cake, over there
Contact:

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - DGW25 Confirmed

Post by snout » 05 Feb 2019, 18:05

raoul wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 15:27
Do we have any idea of when rearranged GW31 fixtures would be announced? Could it happen straight after the Feb 16th weekend cup games are done?

Would be nice to know GW32 as well as GW31 before wading in a big plan.
The earliest re-arranged BGW31 fixtures will be announced would be about Feb 19th but I suspect they will hold back as late as possible.

Premier League can theoretically leave it 10 days beforehand for a re-arrangement (viz EVE v MC). So it could be as late as 22nd March during the international break post-BGW31 (FACR6). At this point the blanks in GW33 are confirmed (no replays in FACR6) and they know all the fixtures that need re-arranging and can pick and choose which to slot into which DGW, at the behest of TV companies. Particularly in the case of Chelsea, they need to maintain maximum flexibility before picking dates.

The above is part of my reasoning for a DGW32(FH); GW34(WC); DGW35(BB) strategy.

raoul
Grumpy Old Man
Posts: 1142
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:32
FS Record: got up to 3rd in TFF overall one Christmas about 15 years ago ... and won Football Fantastic (how I miss thee) one year. Apart from that, pants.

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - DGW25 Confirmed

Post by raoul » 05 Feb 2019, 19:41

snout wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 18:05
raoul wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 15:27
Do we have any idea of when rearranged GW31 fixtures would be announced? Could it happen straight after the Feb 16th weekend cup games are done?

Would be nice to know GW32 as well as GW31 before wading in a big plan.
The earliest re-arranged BGW31 fixtures will be announced would be about Feb 19th but I suspect they will hold back as late as possible.

Premier League can theoretically leave it 10 days beforehand for a re-arrangement (viz EVE v MC). So it could be as late as 22nd March during the international break post-BGW31 (FACR6). At this point the blanks in GW33 are confirmed (no replays in FACR6) and they know all the fixtures that need re-arranging and can pick and choose which to slot into which DGW, at the behest of TV companies. Particularly in the case of Chelsea, they need to maintain maximum flexibility before picking dates.

The above is part of my reasoning for a DGW32(FH); GW34(WC); DGW35(BB) strategy.
If I had a WC and BB left, I would be doing similar I suspect :roll:

User avatar
Stevieste
FISOhead
Posts: 839
Joined: 19 Aug 2017, 10:28
FS Record: 1500

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - DGW25 Confirmed

Post by Stevieste » 05 Feb 2019, 20:58

Could there be a game week where say there is only 4-5 prem games ?

I was going to use my FH game week 27 but if i just take a -4 i can actually field 11 players.

Im im the process of getting all 15 players in my squad that start so can use my BB in the double gameweek.
Its frustrating though as i like a week bench and have a gung ho starting 11.

Any advice for the future looking at my current team be greatfully appreciated.
Ive currently took out Sterling and Success for JWP and Aubamenyang this week and have 0.6 in the bank

raoul
Grumpy Old Man
Posts: 1142
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:32
FS Record: got up to 3rd in TFF overall one Christmas about 15 years ago ... and won Football Fantastic (how I miss thee) one year. Apart from that, pants.

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - DGW25 Confirmed

Post by raoul » 05 Feb 2019, 23:37

Stevieste wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 20:58
Could there be a game week where say there is only 4-5 prem games ?

I was going to use my FH game week 27 but if i just take a -4 i can actually field 11 players.

Im im the process of getting all 15 players in my squad that start so can use my BB in the double gameweek.
Its frustrating though as i like a week bench and have a gung ho starting 11.

Any advice for the future looking at my current team be greatfully appreciated.
Ive currently took out Sterling and Success for JWP and Aubamenyang this week and have 0.6 in the bank
Others on here are far better than me, a first year newbie on FPL, but I will have a go.

At present there are 4 guaranteed fixtures in GW31 as the 8 teams involved are all out of the Cup. There will be 8 teams left in the Cup by then, of which a maximum of 6 will be Prem League.

If the right combination of teams get through, we will only have 4 PL games that weekend. For that to happen, Chelsea need to knock out Man U, and the other 5 PL teams need to go through. I think all of them except Brighton are away from home, so I guess a shock or two might occur (QPR beating Watford I hope!!). And Brighton still need to win a replay away tomorrow night.

I doubt GW33 will be as harsh. Semi Final weekend so a max of 4 PL teams will be out of action so presumably we have 6 safe fixtures minimum.

GW32 could be a sizzler with up to 12 teams having double game weeks. Or it could be only 2.

I hope that helps (and I am sure others will correct anything stupid I have said).

raoul
Grumpy Old Man
Posts: 1142
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:32
FS Record: got up to 3rd in TFF overall one Christmas about 15 years ago ... and won Football Fantastic (how I miss thee) one year. Apart from that, pants.

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - DGW25 Confirmed

Post by raoul » 05 Feb 2019, 23:39

I think the consensus is play GW26 conservatively, because by GW27 we know the QF lineup for the Cup (i.e. GW31) and can plan more easily.

User avatar
Stevieste
FISOhead
Posts: 839
Joined: 19 Aug 2017, 10:28
FS Record: 1500

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - DGW25 Confirmed

Post by Stevieste » 06 Feb 2019, 06:44

raoul wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 23:39
I think the consensus is play GW26 conservatively, because by GW27 we know the QF lineup for the Cup (i.e. GW31) and can plan more easily.
Thanks for that Raoul.

Im going to save my FH then as was tempted to use it in GW27 as i have a few players from man city and Everton, plus ive 3 from Man Utd and Liverpool who both play each other, so will be a low scoring game week for me i guess, unless pick the correct captain.

User avatar
Smurphy's Paw
Grumpy Old Man
Posts: 3754
Joined: 17 Aug 2006, 17:48
FS Record: 13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - DGW25 Confirmed

Post by Smurphy's Paw » 06 Feb 2019, 07:39

Stevieste wrote:
06 Feb 2019, 06:44
raoul wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 23:39
I think the consensus is play GW26 conservatively, because by GW27 we know the QF lineup for the Cup (i.e. GW31) and can plan more easily.
Thanks for that Raoul.

Im going to save my FH then as was tempted to use it in GW27 as i have a few players from man city and Everton, plus ive 3 from Man Utd and Liverpool who both play each other, so will be a low scoring game week for me i guess, unless pick the correct captain.
Part of the rationale for a more conservative GW26 is that Aguero to Aubameyang is the most discussed transfer, and Aguero might well do better than Auba this weekend.
GW27 is different but as raoul suggests, the transfer can happen then anyway. Or, once the Cup games are out of the way, something else might suggest itself as a better way forward.

Stevieste, I doubt you’ll be alone. I am also looking at 6 players lining up against each other in the Liverpool Man U match. If you can get 11 out, do that. Whilst you may only get a par score for GW27, you’ll reap the rewards in a few weeks time (such as GW32)

pokeface
Treebeard
Posts: 262
Joined: 17 Dec 2016, 04:45

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - DGW25 Confirmed

Post by pokeface » 06 Feb 2019, 10:31

I’d originally planned to go Aguero straight back to Auba for GW26 but ended up moving Son in for Hazard instead. I am now even considering just benching him for the blank as he has okay fixtures upto GW30 and I have other issues in my team (Richarlison, Digne and Kamara) which I might be better served sorting out instead.

For Auba I am waiting to see what happens with Mkhitaryan, if he comes back this week I think there is a chance Auba might be moved through the middle again, if that’s the case then he might be well worth getting back in Asap.

Anyway I’m just thinking out loud now 😂

User avatar
Tony Towners Tache
Treebeard
Posts: 255
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:33
Location: Back here
FS Record: Won - Beerfueledman TFF Euro 2004 League (remember that?)
Won - Nowt else

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - DGW25 Confirmed

Post by Tony Towners Tache » 06 Feb 2019, 17:23

Some well considered strategies here, a cracking read albeit enough to send a person crazy. Currently I am leaning towards the WC on BGW31 with an eye to have a team ok for the BGW33 and buildable for a BB on DGW35. This means having to FH on DGW32. That still leaves the TC chip which is basically a lottery and I am kicking myself for not chancing Aguero this week.

raoul
Grumpy Old Man
Posts: 1142
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:32
FS Record: got up to 3rd in TFF overall one Christmas about 15 years ago ... and won Football Fantastic (how I miss thee) one year. Apart from that, pants.

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - DGW25 Confirmed

Post by raoul » 06 Feb 2019, 17:54

Tony Towners Tache wrote:
06 Feb 2019, 17:23
Some well considered strategies here, a cracking read albeit enough to send a person crazy. Currently I am leaning towards the WC on BGW31 with an eye to have a team ok for the BGW33 and buildable for a BB on DGW35. This means having to FH on DGW32. That still leaves the TC chip which is basically a lottery and I am kicking myself for not chancing Aguero this week.
Interesting.

Have you considered aiming for a decent GW31 team, then free hit GW32. Your GW33 team will be fine. Then WC GW34 ready to BB the next week?

Guess it depends how far away you currently are from a playable GW31 team.

Finisher1
Dumbledore
Posts: 6083
Joined: 05 Mar 2013, 10:10

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - DGW25 Confirmed

Post by Finisher1 » 07 Feb 2019, 07:09

So until GW27 we will know all the BGW31 fixtures and also the draw for FA Cup quarter-finals, which will give us some good hints about BGW33 fixtures as well. But when can we expect DGW fixtures moved from BGW31 to be announced? I know there's nothing certain but perhaps some DGW experts have an idea when they are likely to be announced? How likely is it that BGW31 fixtures (or at least most of them) are just moved to DGW32 and announced until GW27?

User avatar
Smurphy's Paw
Grumpy Old Man
Posts: 3754
Joined: 17 Aug 2006, 17:48
FS Record: 13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - DGW25 Confirmed

Post by Smurphy's Paw » 07 Feb 2019, 07:21

Finisher1 wrote:
07 Feb 2019, 07:09
So until GW27 we will know all the BGW31 fixtures and also the draw for FA Cup quarter-finals, which will give us some good hints about BGW33 fixtures as well. But when can we expect DGW fixtures moved from BGW31 to be announced? I know there's nothing certain but perhaps some DGW experts have an idea when they are likely to be announced? How likely is it that BGW31 fixtures (or at least most of them) are just moved to DGW32 and announced until GW27?
Last year is only a guide, they may not act in the same way. However the decisions were left late and then not all postponed games were moved into the corresponding DGW. Chelsea losing to Man U would simplify the picture. There are other considerations outside of the football bubble such as policing, ensuring that two teams from the same town or city don’t play at home on the same evening, etc.
Whilst that doesn’t guarantee that the same thing will happen again, I am not expecting fixtures to be announced early and am planning for the uncertainty.

User avatar
Tony Towners Tache
Treebeard
Posts: 255
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:33
Location: Back here
FS Record: Won - Beerfueledman TFF Euro 2004 League (remember that?)
Won - Nowt else

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - DGW25 Confirmed

Post by Tony Towners Tache » 07 Feb 2019, 09:01

"Have you considered aiming for a decent GW31 team, then free hit GW32. Your GW33 team will be fine. Then WC GW34 ready to BB the next week?"

Raoul, I did look at this albeit fairly briefly. My concern with this type of approach is that in the endeavour to create a decent GW31 team I would take my eye off having a good team set up for the preceding game weeks. At present the squad looks ok (Torreira and Anderson could perhaps be improved) so I would rather keep it as is and make wholesale changes only when absolutely necessary.

User avatar
Vincent Black Shadow
Red & Blue Braces
Posts: 482
Joined: 18 Sep 2015, 04:22

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - DGW25 Confirmed

Post by Vincent Black Shadow » 07 Feb 2019, 09:32

Really not sure what to do now, I have all chips intact, and ideally would have brought Auba in now for Aguero, and Son in for Sane next week

This was when I planned to WC in GW30, FH 31, BB32 and TC 35

However I did not take into account the international break in between 31 and 32, now I am loathe to use my WC there and feel I may be better building a team that can play in 31 and using FH later

User avatar
Stevieste
FISOhead
Posts: 839
Joined: 19 Aug 2017, 10:28
FS Record: 1500

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - DGW25 Confirmed

Post by Stevieste » 07 Feb 2019, 09:34

Whats teams are guranteed to play in the BGW31 so far ?

raoul
Grumpy Old Man
Posts: 1142
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:32
FS Record: got up to 3rd in TFF overall one Christmas about 15 years ago ... and won Football Fantastic (how I miss thee) one year. Apart from that, pants.

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - DGW25 Confirmed

Post by raoul » 07 Feb 2019, 09:41

Tony Towners Tache wrote:
07 Feb 2019, 09:01
"Have you considered aiming for a decent GW31 team, then free hit GW32. Your GW33 team will be fine. Then WC GW34 ready to BB the next week?"

Raoul, I did look at this albeit fairly briefly. My concern with this type of approach is that in the endeavour to create a decent GW31 team I would take my eye off having a good team set up for the preceding game weeks. At present the squad looks ok (Torreira and Anderson could perhaps be improved) so I would rather keep it as is and make wholesale changes only when absolutely necessary.
Fair comment. And given your OR is rather better then mine …

Congrats on the 111pt week btw.

I see you have 4 players who will blank in GW27 (and who play each other in GW26), and another 4 who will play each other in GW27. Given the teams involved I imagine many managers have a similar thing coming.

What's your plan?

Finisher1
Dumbledore
Posts: 6083
Joined: 05 Mar 2013, 10:10

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - DGW25 Confirmed

Post by Finisher1 » 07 Feb 2019, 11:14

It definitely looks like GW31 is likely to include mainly small teams, so FH31 is probably a very viable option because otherwise it would require either A) taking many hits in GW31 or B) fielding only few players in GW31 or C) having an inferior team in GW26-30. I think there are some good small team assets in GW31, like Bournemouth (NEW) and West Ham (HUD), but I don't fancy those players in GW26-30 so for me FH31 is a real option. Obviously a lot depends on what happens in Cup matches until GW27.

If FH31 is played then navigating through DGW32 :arrow: BGW33 :arrow: DGW35 is going to be tricky, but I guess GW33 will include only few blanks, so perhaps I can play WC32 and cover all those three gameweeks decently with my wildcard. Or perhaps my team from GW26-30 is good enough for DGW32 so I can save my wildcard for GW33-35. I think there are many possible ways to cover these three gameweeks even if FH31 is played.

What do you guys think?

raoul
Grumpy Old Man
Posts: 1142
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:32
FS Record: got up to 3rd in TFF overall one Christmas about 15 years ago ... and won Football Fantastic (how I miss thee) one year. Apart from that, pants.

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - DGW25 Confirmed

Post by raoul » 07 Feb 2019, 13:23

Finisher1 wrote:
07 Feb 2019, 11:14
It definitely looks like GW31 is likely to include mainly small teams, so FH31 is probably a very viable option because otherwise it would require either A) taking many hits in GW31 or B) fielding only few players in GW31 or C) having an inferior team in GW26-30. I think there are some good small team assets in GW31, like Bournemouth (NEW) and West Ham (HUD), but I don't fancy those players in GW26-30 so for me FH31 is a real option. Obviously a lot depends on what happens in Cup matches until GW27.

If FH31 is played then navigating through DGW32 :arrow: BGW33 :arrow: DGW35 is going to be tricky, but I guess GW33 will include only few blanks, so perhaps I can play WC32 and cover all those three gameweeks decently with my wildcard. Or perhaps my team from GW26-30 is good enough for DGW32 so I can save my wildcard for GW33-35. I think there are many possible ways to cover these three gameweeks even if FH31 is played.

What do you guys think?
Many have noted Leicester have a great run of fixtures from GW27 that goes straight through GW31 and GW33. And there is Liverpool. And Bournemuth from GW30 look decent. Whether you would want 3 from each of those I don't know, but that could be 9 starters for GW31 and many would be far from unattractive holds for the period up to then. Add in a couple of West Ham (who might need to go before GW33), and job done.

The bigger concern is not so much who could be brought in for GW31 in advance, it is those players who might have to be avoided on the basis they are blank in GW31. Or if you already hold them, 3 of them could be benched of course - but only 3. Given we are looking at blanks for both Manchester clubs and Spurs also likely, for many that bench won't be big enough.

But those players can be used in GW32 via a FH so could be dropped in GW30 (MU at least), and then gradually eased back in for GW34 and 35 (or WC back in, if you have that luxury remaining).

Of course the above relies on Leicester and Bournemouth doing ok, but I bet a fair few will be getting those players in anyway given the fixture runs.

Finisher1
Dumbledore
Posts: 6083
Joined: 05 Mar 2013, 10:10

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - DGW25 Confirmed

Post by Finisher1 » 07 Feb 2019, 13:56

raoul wrote:
07 Feb 2019, 13:23
The bigger concern is not so much who could be brought in for GW31 in advance, it is those players who might have to be avoided on the basis they are blank in GW31.
Well, in FPL it's always the case about who to drop just as much as who to bring in, and it's exactly what I meant in my previous post. Obviously it's never about which (combination of) players might score points, it's always about which (combination of) players will score more points than others. That's the exact reason why I don't fancy Leicester, Bournemouth or West Ham before GW31, because even though they have decent fixtures and might score decent points, there are just better players available.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts
Post Reply

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests