To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Manchester City

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
jimwinn
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: nah

Re: Manchester City Line-Up

Post by jimwinn »

David Silva was a bit miss too but they seemed to manage ok

https://metro.co.uk/2018/08/12/david-si ... l-7829719/

MrBenn
Treebeard

Post by MrBenn »

dino1980 wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 12:13
Jamtart wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 10:42
froog wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 10:25 what do people think about b Silva? is
This lazy stereotype that Sterling wastes loads of chances needs to stop. It simply isn’t true. People remember the glaring miss against Burnley and assume he misses loads of big chances or has a poor conversion rate. Just because he never spanks one in from 25 yards and only scores simple goals doesn’t make him wasteful.

Sir Gareth keeps plugging away playing him up front hoping his England stats will somehow improve.

England caps 44. Goals 2

genevapics
Treebeard

Post by genevapics »

Beerfuelledman wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 18:54
genevapics wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 18:45
sunnO)))jihai wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 16:15 He's also black.(source for that one)
You sound like a BIGOT. WTH does the color of his skin have to do with anything? Surely you’re not saying he’s less intelligent due to skin color are you?
Choosing which parts of a post to quote doesn't allow any context to come through. Had you chosen "Everyone knows he only left for the money and not for the three trophies he has won so far." the sarcasm may have been more apparent. But lets not stray to close to the line here folks and move back on topic please.
Beerfuelledman:

While your point is well taken, as a person of color, I take offense to the”He’s black” comment. I just cut to the part that offended me. Living here in America, with President Trump, things have gotten a lot uglier. Had our friend used an imoji, i may have detected the sarcasm, but seeing as I am African American, I missed the joke... 😀.

You will hear no more from me regarding the quoted post.

carver
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Top 50k last 4 seasons . Mr Consistent

Post by carver »

Reasons I didn't consider Sterling

1. Thought he'd be late back after World Cup
2. Thought he would play fewer minutes since Mahrez arrival also with B Silva being more settled
3. You can't pick everyone and at the price (although it could prove value ) seemed a bit risky

I am definitely reconsidering, since point 1 was wrong and point 2 looks wrong

The conversion rates are irrelevant for me only the goal scoring and assisting.

If only I can find 2m for Mahrez to Sterling

Aldershot Rejects
Dumbledore
FS Record: 5th Metro (2010-11); 146 - Sky (2015-16); 218 - Sky (2014-15); 386 - Sky (2020-21); 636 - FPL (2017-18); last 16 Sky Cup (2018-19)

Post by Aldershot Rejects »

genevapics wrote: 14 Aug 2018, 00:50
Beerfuelledman wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 18:54
genevapics wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 18:45
sunnO)))jihai wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 16:15 He's also black.(source for that one)
You sound like a BIGOT. WTH does the color of his skin have to do with anything? Surely you’re not saying he’s less intelligent due to skin color are you?
Choosing which parts of a post to quote doesn't allow any context to come through. Had you chosen "Everyone knows he only left for the money and not for the three trophies he has won so far." the sarcasm may have been more apparent. But lets not stray to close to the line here folks and move back on topic please.
Beerfuelledman:

While your point is well taken, as a person of color, I take offense to the”He’s black” comment. I just cut to the part that offended me. Living here in America, with President Trump, things have gotten a lot uglier. Had our friend used an imoji, i may have detected the sarcasm, but seeing as I am African American, I missed the joke... 😀.

You will hear no more from me regarding the quoted post.
The poster of that comment was a Man City fan. I think the point they were making reflects the fact that many of us think that the reason Sterling gets the flack he does from our press is because of his colour. You are right about the lack of emoji though. Ian Wright suggested this on 5Live last night.

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore
FS Record: Unknown.

Post by Sutter Kane »

Hmmm interesting. That may be true though I think it might be more complicated than that. I reckon many people (including me) despise the 'culture' of such young footballers (immature, with respect to life experience but not their fault) getting SO much money SO young and then 'flashing the cash'. This does/will irritate people, some of which whilst not on the bread line, perhaps can't even afford the stuff that he takes for granted. Unfortunately the media will jump on this amongst other things and we see it with 'pictures'. So certainly I feel an ageist envy is present too. I actually feel sorry for Sterling though he probably won't know why, which is for the best as far as he's concerned. I do think whilst these guys are in the media spotlight, they should be being strongly advised about how to behave.

Not that any of this will affect Pep selecting Sterling...looks like he's in for a monster season again, albeit with possibly more risk about his game time with the new additions (Mahrez, Mendy possible wingback), I'll find it hard to ever captain him and therefore find it hard to select him since he's probably poor value at 11mn.

Aldershot Rejects
Dumbledore
FS Record: 5th Metro (2010-11); 146 - Sky (2015-16); 218 - Sky (2014-15); 386 - Sky (2020-21); 636 - FPL (2017-18); last 16 Sky Cup (2018-19)

Post by Aldershot Rejects »

Sutter Kane wrote: 14 Aug 2018, 10:47 Hmmm interesting. That may be true though I think it might be more complicated than that. I reckon many people (including me) despise the 'culture' of such young footballers (immature, with respect to life experience but not their fault) getting SO much money SO young and then 'flashing the cash'. This does/will irritate people, some of which whilst not on the bread line, perhaps can't even afford the stuff that he takes for granted. Unfortunately the media will jump on this amongst other things and we see it with 'pictures'. So certainly I feel an ageist envy is present too. I actually feel sorry for Sterling though he probably won't know why, which is for the best as far as he's concerned. I do think whilst these guys are in the media spotlight, they should be being strongly advised about how to behave.
Completely agree with this. Reading to some of what Grealish has said about his own experience is interesting. Basically we give very young men with virtually no life experience enormous sums of money and then seem surprised when they do silly things! I guess though once you have a reputation, people look for confirmation of their own opinions of you.

I guess the question is why Sterling seems to have become the focus of that? I suspect that his colour has more than a little to do with that. I must admit that whenever I have heard him interviewed I've been impressed and he comes across as a well-rounded individual (he's certainly had more life experience than I had had at his age).

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

The player who covered the most ground during the opening 10 fixtures was....

Bernado Silva at 12.69 kms

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

carver wrote:The conversion rates are irrelevant for me only the goal scoring and assisting.
Billy Bongo wrote: 14 Aug 2018, 12:25The player who covered the most ground during the opening 10 fixtures was....

Bernard O'Silva at 12.69 kms
How many points do you get for that? :wink:

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

8 if you did your research before gwk 1

sunnO)))jihai
FISOhead

Post by sunnO)))jihai »

Sutter Kane wrote: 14 Aug 2018, 10:47 Hmmm interesting. That may be true though I think it might be more complicated than that. I reckon many people (including me) despise the 'culture' of such young footballers (immature, with respect to life experience but not their fault) getting SO much money SO young and then 'flashing the cash'. This does/will irritate people, some of which whilst not on the bread line, perhaps can't even afford the stuff that he takes for granted. Unfortunately the media will jump on this amongst other things and we see it with 'pictures'. So certainly I feel an ageist envy is present too. I actually feel sorry for Sterling though he probably won't know why, which is for the best as far as he's concerned. I do think whilst these guys are in the media spotlight, they should be being strongly advised about how to behave.

Not that any of this will affect Pep selecting Sterling...looks like he's in for a monster season again, albeit with possibly more risk about his game time with the new additions (Mahrez, Mendy possible wingback), I'll find it hard to ever captain him and therefore find it hard to select him since he's probably poor value at 11mn.

I would consider that as a partial explanation, but not only has Sterling been viciously attacked for being 'flash' (e.g. buying his mom a new sink), but also for being stingy (e.g. shopping at Primark). How does that one work out? If it was purely for being a young wealthy footballer who drives a nice car, we'd have the gutter press calling every other footballer a 'rat', 'footie idiot', 'greedy' or other vile nonsense under the sun on a daily basis. But that's not the case, is it. It's very specifically targetted at Raheem Sterling.

After Liverpool FC and their cronies ran a despicable campaign to tarnish his image for having the audacity to refuse a contract-extension, the toilet rags of this country took it upon themselves to milk their bigoted, witless readership by villifying him for utter trivialities, such as not washing his car or having some ice cream.

https://twitter.com/adamkeyworth/status ... 5588502530

Did John Stones get booed at neutral grounds for handing in a transfer request and forcing a move to City? Was he called greedy and alleged to have a 'tiny brain'? Well, he's neither black, born in Jamaica nor did he rub Liverpool FC and their overzealous fanbase the wrong way. Pretty gullible to dismiss racism as at least a part of the foundation for these heinous personal attacks.

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

To be fair Rooney got less stick when he was caught with a 60 yr old prostitute, twice. But I suppose he doesnt have t rex arms

ajcairns
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Still Decidedly Average.

Post by ajcairns »

Makes no sense to me, no one in Liverpool reads the Sun anyway do they?

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

There's been several good points made in this thread about why Sterling seems to be unfairly criticised. What hasn't been mentioned as a contributory factor as far as some England non City fans are concerned is that he doesn't play as well for England (in terms of effectiveness) as he does for City. That's true but the reason isn't Raheem's fault. It's simply that he's playing in a better team and under a better manager when wearing City's colours.

No Way Jose
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Fluked first season

Post by No Way Jose »

And that sterling is a far better player when things are simpler for him. Dwelling on the ball and creating isn't his game, incredible movement and sniffing out chances is more his thing and city is perfect for that

ZeroRemorse
Grumpy Old Man

Post by ZeroRemorse »

Sterling has some really good attributes to his game that Pep has exploited well, I think Salah is a similar case and player but, a bit better.

Klopp and Pep both use them similarly and they have benefited from having these managers and the systems they're in at the moment are bringing the best out of them.

Both Sterling and Salah had some awful misses last season that even yourself could bury 9 time out of 10, but both improved their finishing throughout last season and I can see them being the top scoring midfielders.

I think Pep starting Sterling after only a few days training vs Arsenal away after the WC highlights how important he has become to Pep and how strong he thinks he is to the system. He's looking very nailed to me and a great option/differential.

baganboy
Comfortably Dumb(ledore)
FS Record: 2011/12 - 212. 2019/20 - 222.
Altogether 6 top 10Ks. 8 top 20Ks. 9 top 50Ks.

Post by baganboy »

Formation:
Most often 4-3-3. The alternate is 3-5-2, which will be deployed much less often.

Center Forwards:
Aguero first choice, Jesus second choice. Sterling third choice. I do not see both of Aguero and Jesus playing together often, even in the 3-5-2. There, I suspect Sterling to reprise his role for England as the second striker. Also, here's a judgment call - last season we saw that when Aguero is fit, he almost always plays. Jesus plays when Aguero is injured. I think it will be a bit more distributed this season i.e. even if Aguero is not injured, the distribution of playing minutes would be about 60:40. Jesus is far too good already to not get a lot of minutes.
CF: Aguero (Jesus) (-- Sterling)

Wing forwards in a 4-3-3, and full backs (which should be discussed together, I think)
It seems from the pre-season and GW1 (where my team was quite comfortably beaten) that most of the width will be provided by the full backs than wingers (more Barcelona, less Munich). Interesting to note though that the backups for Mendy (Delph), and Walker (Danilo) are better as inverted fullbacks, than flying attacking fullbacks. I assume therefore that if the first choice are injured , then the formation becomes more Munich for that wing, with the winger providing the width - similar to last season on the left flank, where the width was provided by Sane, a traditional winger - and not Delph the fullback.
Thus, with Mendy and Walker playing in a 4-3-3, the wing forwards would both be cutting inside (and that was the formation we saw at the Emirates). Sterling on the left, Mahrez on the right. Tentatively I suggest that their first backups are Jesus and Sane respectively. (thus my emerging hypothesis is that Mahrez is the first choice right wing attacker,and Sane is his primary backup. It could as well be Sane first choice and Mahrez as backup.
Thus : in a 4-3-3,
RB: Walker (Danilo) (-- Stones I guess)
LB: Mendy (Delph) (-- Zinchenko)
RW: Mahrez (Sane) (--- Bernardo)
LW: Sterling (Jesus) (--- Brahim Diaz)

Midfielder:
This is simple. And stays consistent in a 4-3-3 and 3-5-2
Deepest midfielder: Fernandinho (Gundogan) (-- Delph, though I think Pep prefers Gundogan further up the pitch, and Delph might well be second choice) (others--Zinchenko, Gomes)
RCM: KDB (Gundogan) (-- Foden)
LCM: Bernardo Silva (David Silva, or the other way around) (-- Foden)

Central Defenders:
Very difficult to say. I assume that in normal circumstances, Kompany plays key games. But he will be heavily rotated even when fit. I think Guardiola’s ideal formation is with Laporte as LCB and Stones as RCB, though I do not think they are ready to play together consistently yet, and Guardiola will pair one with Kompany and Otamendi. As for Otamendi, even with all last season’s heroics, I somehow see him as 4th choice, and not a natural fit for Guardiola. He will play enough too, but will not have the security of starts as he had last season. Two of Tosin, Mangala, Denayer and the new guy will be sent on loan I think.

twhelan22
Treebeard

Post by twhelan22 »

Striker wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 01:01 There's been several good points made in this thread about why Sterling seems to be unfairly criticised. What hasn't been mentioned as a contributory factor as far as some England non City fans are concerned is that he doesn't play as well for England (in terms of effectiveness) as he does for City. That's true but the reason isn't Raheem's fault. It's simply that he's playing in a better team and under a better manager when wearing City's colours.
I know this isn't a popular opinion but he is England's most important player in this current system, with a pretty different role to the one he has at City. Ball progression was basically non-existent when Sterling was off the pitch. If we had some creative passers or even just CMs that could dribble (loftus-cheek can but didn't feature much) then we wouldn't need to rely so heavily on Sterling to come and collect the ball or to drag defenders out wide to open up space. England were poor at creating chances from open play as a team, it wasn't just Sterling's fault for not scoring. Basically all of the chances were from set pieces.

As for City, I think Bernardo should start to take more minutes away from David, but the latter is still so good that I'd be surprised if anyone has a regular starting spot. Last season KDB was the only guy to be almost guaranteed to play and I can't see that changing this year. The biggest thing is with everyone fit Pep has a lot more options and will likely start to adjust more to opponents than he could previously. Sane in particular could take a slight minutes hit now that they have guys like Mendy or even Mahrez to provide width on the left. KDB, Ederson, Walker and Fernandinho seem to be the least replaceable players, with Mendy likely safer than any of the CBs and Sterling probably the guy that should see the most minutes of the attackers.

Some more thoughts:
Sane isn't needed in a 3-5-2
If Mendy starts, Laporte probably will too
The number 8 next to KDB probably won't play 90 minutes
Mahrez could be used as a sub to give KDB or Sterling an early rest more often (he played CM/RW hybrid at Leicester)
Last edited by twhelan22 on 15 Aug 2018, 12:26, edited 4 times in total.

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

Sterling wasn't poor at the world cup, England were first and foremost.

Desperado
Treebeard

Post by Desperado »

Great summary by baganboy. Only thing that I disagree is Sane being second choise on the right. I see him more as a natural winger who dribbles down the flank of his preferred foot (left) and while providing width is capable cutting inside with tremendous speed to catch lobs released by AMC/MC. KDB and David Silva are wonderful giving those floating through balls. Bernardo Silva on the other hand seems to have always the far top corner in his mind when keeping position on the edge of a penalty box when playing RW.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Billy Bongo wrote:Sterling wasn't poor at the world cup, England were first and foremost.

England were good(ish). Didn't deserve a semi final but were ok and largely solid. What the team did distinctly lack was the class and flair of the type Sterling has in buckets. We only really looked threatening when he had the ball. Alas, he just repeatedly ran into blind alleys and failed again and again to play in team mates or get in a shot at the right time. Distinctly poor 'footballing brain'.

As a few of us have already said, he knows the system and players better at City and/or the manager sets up better for him there so he is much more succesful and becoming a more vital player for them (and the FF manager???).

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

twhelan22 wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 11:17 I know this isn't a popular opinion but he is England's most important player in this current system, with a pretty different role to the one he has at City.
Maybe not 'most important', but I completely agree with the sentiment. I thought he was far more effective than Lingard and Alli anyway (and the step down to, say, RLC, from those two was nowhere near as great as the step down from Sterling to Rashford in that system imo).

It'll be interesting to see how sure Sterling is of his place now both Mahrez and the Mendy-induced-352 are possible (though of course he can play as a striker in the latter). He was amazing last season in terms of the numbers he put up, and excellent in GW1, suggesting he could be regular enough for FPL. But at an 11m price he is now competing with a potentially rejuvinated Hazard in an attacking Chelsea system, and surely he'll play slightly fewer minutes than last season.

The fact Mahrez (and Sterling) can play on the left very effectively has got to be a good thing for Mahrez (and Sterling) as an FPL asset, but I am a little worried that Bernado has almost made himself undroppable in current form. It was Mahrez who made way for KDB at the weekend. Hopefully it's Gundo-gone, but as a Mahrez owner I'm genuinely worried he won't start GW2, even if long term he probably is in the strongest long term eleven. :?

Meanwhile, there seems to be something not quite right with Sane at the moment, attitude or whatever. Strange.

Desperado
Treebeard

Post by Desperado »

Stemania wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 12:19
Meanwhile, there seems to be something not quite right with Sane at the moment, attitude or whatever. Strange.
Sane's performances with the National team were awful before the WC and although Germany didn't do well in the tournament I think it was reasonable thing from Jogi Löw to drop him out of the squad. No smoke with out fire and here is definitely some suspicious smoke around Sane's performances (on and off the pitch) and the way two top managers have dealt with him during last 3 months or so.

baganboy
Comfortably Dumb(ledore)
FS Record: 2011/12 - 212. 2019/20 - 222.
Altogether 6 top 10Ks. 8 top 20Ks. 9 top 50Ks.

Post by baganboy »

True to all the above. I have Sane and Mahrez in my team - there need to be some changes made.

snout
FISO Knight
FS Record: a slice of that cake, over there

Post by snout »

Just a rumour at this stage but Citywatch claim that KdB suffered a serious injury in training, similar to the one that kept him out for 2 months last season.

https://www.mcfcwatch.com/2018/08/15/ex ... -training/

elliot
Treebeard

Post by elliot »

Apparently KDB might have a serious knee injury.

Does this make B. Silva an insane pick?

Tall Paul
Dumbledore

Post by Tall Paul »

snout wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 16:04 Just a rumour at this stage but Citywatch claim that KdB suffered a serious injury in training, similar to the one that kept him out for 2 months last season.

https://www.mcfcwatch.com/2018/08/15/ex ... -training/
Belgian journalist, Kristoff Terreur confirms

https://twitter.com/HLNinEngeland/statu ... 4470515712

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

Wowzers!

Bernado suddenly looking much better indeed, and potentially makes Mahrez safer too.

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore
FS Record: Unknown.

Post by Sutter Kane »

Well my first thought was Bernardo Silva now a must have but on reflection, there's a chance he sits deeper in KDB's position. Man C do however have a plethora of players who can sit deep so perhaps this actually makes no difference to him at all! Maybe will see DSilva slightly more than was planned by Pep. He's the best replacement playmaker.

What I would say is that Bernardo is going to start more games now, probably.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

It could also convince Pep to put compact the midfield a bit by rolling out the 352 I suppose...

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”