To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Manchester City

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
DonTanTilla
Treebeard

Manchester City

Post by DonTanTilla »

Surely this deserves it's own thread.. often a topic of discussion.

Who do we think starts next week given the information we have now.

Does Bernardo earn a start? Does Sane come back into the side?

What are we thinking?

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Re: Manchester City Line-Up

Post by Football Hero »

Jesus could start due to Aguero's selfishness when he should have played De Bruyne in for a tap-in instead of shooting straight at Cech.

sukh0718
Wideboy

Post by sukh0718 »

INFORMATION NEEDED as I am going to captain Aguero for GW2

It was selfish Aguero to not pass a perfect situation but that is typical Aguero

Well, Aguero is safe for a start GW2 or is he NOT?

DonTanTilla
Treebeard

Post by DonTanTilla »

I am still a firm believer that Aguero is first choice. Wether he's scuppered that now not squaring the ball to De Bruyne I don't know.

I think Mahrez doesn't quite fit the Pep mould yet and he may want more time with him. Not convinced he will remain a starter for long.

Wish Sterling wasn't so expensive. It's the equivalent of deciding whether Aguero is worth 11mil whilst there being TWO Jesus's snapping at his heels rather than one.

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

There was some talk of City with Mendy fit, now being able to play a 3-5-2 with Aguero and Jesus both starting regularly; but potentially with the plethora of attacking midfield options available to Pep, the 4-5-1 still seems like it will be used a lot with one of the strikers not starting when this happens.

As Jesus has been benched the last two matches, I think he is due to start this one, particularly as an easy home game allows him to bag a goal or two to get his season underway off the back of an underwhelming World Cup. Whether that means that Aguero will also start in a 3-5-2, or he gets dropped in favour of the 4-5-1, that I am not too sure on.

dino1980
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL Best, 1,000th 2014-15.

Post by dino1980 »

Anyone worried about Aguero getting dropped because he didn’t pass to KDB really needs to take a reality check. He’s a centre forward and he was through one on one with the keeper, he’s going to shoot, it’s what strikers do. KDB wasn’t even level with Aguero so he may not have even been aware he was there as he was concentrating on Cech’s position.

If there were a cluster of tells that Aguero was off form, rusty or unfit they’d be a case to answer but we know he’s not as evidenced by the Charity Shield. We’ll know way more in five days time when the press conferences happen. Anything about Aguero, Mahrez or anyone else is just scaremongering at this stage.

Fwiw Mahrez’s numbers were similar to those from last season at Leicester. The bigger worry is obviously him getting hooked after 56 minutes rather than playing the full 90 like he usually did at Leicester.

sukh0718
Wideboy

Post by sukh0718 »

dino1980 wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 02:43 He’s a centre forward and he was through one on one with the keeper, he’s going to shoot, it’s what strikers do.
£11 striker's duty is to score and no excuse! FOR F*** SAKE why 2POINTS ONLY! I AM SO MAD UHHHHH :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

OldSkoolFPL
Red & Blue Braces

Post by OldSkoolFPL »

The biggest take from that line up yesterday was how Sterling walked back into that team after one weeks training, played more mins that Sane & Mahrez & how he looked great.

He had an unreal season last year, only the impact of Salah made it look less than it actually was, very rarely blanked & had plenty of double digits, loads going down the Auba, Aguero route for 11m but Sterling will be up there yet people will spend all season calling him overpriced, he may well be but early signs are that he'll return for that price.

Tel The Gooner
Kevin and Perry

Post by Tel The Gooner »

I'm sticking with Aguero despite his off day yesterday. Otamendi was on the bench yesterday, that's a concern for me if it continues. I'm still wary of picking City midfielders as I think they could change weekly. That said they were outstanding yesterday and we haven't been schooled like that at home for a long time. They will win the title, it's just a question of when and by how much.

carver
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Top 50k last 4 seasons . Mr Consistent

Post by carver »

I have Mahrez/Aguero. Probably happy to leave for next game and if no good shake them up with 2 free transfers

cesc408
Grumpy Old Man

Post by cesc408 »

It's Huddersfield at home. Predict Both Aguero and Jesus to start, probably be Mahrez to miss out

SlamSam111
Kevin and Perry

Post by SlamSam111 »

Will KDB start next GW?

carver
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Top 50k last 4 seasons . Mr Consistent

Post by carver »

cesc408 wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 09:57 It's Huddersfield at home. Predict Both Aguero and Jesus to start, probably be Mahrez to miss out
You can't predict a Pep team... but I'll have a go .

Same team apart from KDB in for Gundogan

The Libero
Wideboy

Post by The Libero »

I wonder if Pep thinks the way the "old school" managers do, ie "I'm going to punish you for a bad performance by dropping you to send a message".

My guess is he knows his players all have different strengths and weaknesses, and he will pick a bespoke team for that week's opposition, based on what he thinks will trouble them most.

Jamtart
Treebeard
FS Record: Hopefully improving...

Post by Jamtart »

cesc408 wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 09:57 It's Huddersfield at home. Predict Both Aguero and Jesus to start, probably be Mahrez to miss out
That's how I see it going. I'm sure I saw a stat a few weeks ago showing that when fit both started together at home more often than not.

froog
FISOhead

Post by froog »

what do people think about b Silva? is he nailed on? who else would take that centre attacking role?

bigcliff2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Rubbish

Post by bigcliff2 »

froog wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 10:25 what do people think about b Silva? is he nailed on? who else would take that centre attacking role?
I wouldn't consider him nailed on but he's going to play more than last season, I think that's probably safe enough to say.

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

Huddersfield will sit deep , I think he'll use Mendy and Walker to stretch them ,

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Jamtart
Treebeard

Post by Jamtart »

froog wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 10:25 what do people think about b Silva? is he nailed on? who else would take that centre attacking role?
I know it's Pep, but I'm sure the quote was along the lines of "Bernardo and 10 others for now" and with him getting another goal yesterday I can't see how that's changed. I'll admit I never saw the game so have no idea of his overall performance but goals alone were enough for Sterling - who I don't rate overall as a player due to the amount of chances he wastes.

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

He gets a lot of chances though, that's the point

DonTanTilla
Treebeard

Post by DonTanTilla »

dino1980 wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 02:43 Anyone worried about Aguero getting dropped because he didn’t pass to KDB really needs to take a reality check. He’s a centre forward and he was through one on one with the keeper, he’s going to shoot, it’s what strikers do. KDB wasn’t even level with Aguero so he may not have even been aware he was there as he was concentrating on Cech’s position.
I tend to agree with you here.

And I don't think Pep is the sort of manager to drop players for mistakes anyway, Mourinho would have him in the reserves already :lol:

xJosh-
FISOhead

Post by xJosh- »

carver wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 10:16
You can't predict a Pep team... but I'll have a go .

Same team apart from KDB in for Gundogan
I think this too however I also think there's concern if D Silva is back. B Silva Started the game alongside Gundogan and Ferandhinio in CM and then Mahrez was subbed for KDB and B Silva pushed into his usual RW role which he scored from. I think if D Silva starts Mahrez will be dropped for B Silva on the RW. Personally I think Aguero is better suited to play against Huddersfield than Jesus because he's better between the lines and Jesus will just get pushed around but I also think its a possibility Jesus will start and I think unless City are playing a top 6 side that will always be the case. Makes sense to play Jesus in the games he CAN and play Aguero when he is needed.

In terms on the formation change I personally don't see that happening and if it does I don't see it happening often at all. Kyle walker was in an interview and he did state "We need to try and change our game because teams are trying to work us out and beat us but not too much. IMO that means rotation of players and not changes to formation. The logic says why change a team which did what City did last season.

Unfortunately if we do change the formation I do think it will be in games like Huddersfield where they play with 10 men in the box and need breaking down. 5-3-2 means a lot of width, a lot of players and batlls into the box and is what he did last season when both Serg and Jesus were fit.

Its all speculation and trying to speculate what Pep will do is just a coin flip really, best thing you can do is watch every game, all the analysis and read all the reports to gain the slightest incline that your prediction might be right :lol: half the time you'll feel like a genius hitting the hauls and half the time you'll be left fuming you're involved in this ridiculous Man City player saga.

I think I could talk about this about every game until I was blue in the face and so could all of us but from an FPL point of view its simple really. Have Walker, Mendy, KDB or Ederson if you want nailed City players otherwise you're playing a guessing game all season. I've got Mendy, Mahrez and Serg and I'm already thinking I should just make the funds to go Mahrez > Mane and Serg > Kane. An injury to Sergio or Jesus is a blessing but there would have to be a lot of injuries in midfield to make those players solid IMO.

Hope that helps but I know it didn't really :D

math!
Dumbledore
FS Record: Yes

Post by math! »

Billy Bongo wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 10:35 Huddersfield will sit deep , I think he'll use Mendy and Walker to stretch them ,

I think Mendy will be a battering ram :lol: I have never loved a fullback more than this guy.

pdhmobile
Red & Blue Braces

Post by pdhmobile »

Anyone contemplating having kun and jesus??
If they both play in a 352, all well and good, if only one plays then you are covering the striking position in the most the attacking team in the EPL.
I do faintly recall last season kun playing, getting subbed and then jesus coming and scoring. Im my scenario thats you covered, points in the bag!

Thoughts?

dino1980
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL Best, 1,000th 2014-15.

Post by dino1980 »

Jamtart wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 10:42
I know it's Pep, but I'm sure the quote was along the lines of "Bernardo and 10 others for now" and with him getting another goal yesterday I can't see how that's changed. I'll admit I never saw the game so have no idea of his overall performance but goals alone were enough for Sterling - who I don't rate overall as a player due to the amount of chances he wastes.
This lazy stereotype that Sterling wastes loads of chances needs to stop. It simply isn’t true. People remember the glaring miss against Burnley and assume he misses loads of big chances or has a poor conversion rate. Just because he never spanks one in from 25 yards and only scores simple goals doesn’t make him wasteful.

Some figures from last season.

Conversion rate:
Salah: 22.2%
Sterling: 20.7%
Sane: 17.5%
Hazard: 16.9%
Son: 16%
Mane: 14.3%
Alli: 13%
Sanchez: 10.2%

Percentage of big chances scored:
Sterling: 58%
Son: 50%
Alli: 50%
Salah: 46%
Sane: 45%
Hazard: 44%
Mane: 33%
Sanchez: 33%

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

dino1980 wrote:
This lazy stereotype that Sterling wastes loads of chances needs to stop. It simply isn’t true. People remember the glaring miss against Burnley and assume he misses loads of big chances or has a poor conversion rate. Just because he never spanks one in from 25 yards and only scores simple goals doesn’t make him wasteful.

Conversion rate:

Excellent post

There are a lot of poorly researched opinions on the net

Last edited by Billy Bongo on 13 Aug 2018, 12:20, edited 1 time in total.

bigcliff2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Rubbish

Post by bigcliff2 »

The thing with Bernardo is that he can play a few positions and even if he's on the bench, he's likely to come on and with City's scoring prowess, he could easily get points off the bench. At 7.5, I'm thinking it might be worth just keeping him (barring injury) and riding out the rotation concerns. Does anyone know/have any stats on how many games he started last season and when his points came?

math!
Dumbledore
FS Record: Yes

Post by math! »

Can you show the number of big chances for those players?

tommygun25
Grumpy Old Man

Post by tommygun25 »

bigcliff2 wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 12:20 The thing with Bernardo is that he can play a few positions and even if he's on the bench, he's likely to come on and with City's scoring prowess, he could easily get points off the bench. At 7.5, I'm thinking it might be worth just keeping him (barring injury) and riding out the rotation concerns. Does anyone know/have any stats on how many games he started last season and when his points came?
Noticed a few managers did this with Sane.

Anyone got points totals for all Peps subs last year?

Jamtart
Treebeard

Post by Jamtart »

dino1980 wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 12:13

Conversion rate:

Have to hold my hands up here then! Fair enough. I just never feel impressed by him when I've watched him and always felt he was overrated.

Perhaps he's improved since then and I've kept my bias - something I should maybe keep in check so it doesn't effect my season should he keep performing.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”