To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Manchester City

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Resonare
Grumpy Old Man

Re: Manchester City Line-Up

Post by Resonare »

Sterling looks to be the one to have atm. Pep's post match interview where he was grinning ear to ear when talking about him was a bit of a clue, and if Sane isn't playing because Mendy provides width then it makes sense that Pep wants an inverted winger on that side when Mendy is fit so Sterling has to start.

Desperado
Treebeard

Post by Desperado »

bigcliff2 wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 12:20 The thing with Bernardo is that he can play a few positions and even if he's on the bench, he's likely to come on and with City's scoring prowess, he could easily get points off the bench. At 7.5, I'm thinking it might be worth just keeping him (barring injury) and riding out the rotation concerns. Does anyone know/have any stats on how many games he started last season and when his points came?
As I wrote already elsewhere BSilva was eased in the system in the first half of the season and played large majority of minutes on the second half. He was benched full 90 mins only thrice in PL. What needs to be noted that there was a period in May and April when he didn't get more than a sub appearances for for five games including a full 90 mins on bench against Liverpool 1st leg CL. For details see transfermarkt.

edit. And for what it's worth he got the most BPS per minutes from the bunch of DSilva, Sane, Sterling and KDB.

twhelan22
Treebeard

Post by twhelan22 »

dino1980 wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 12:13
Jamtart wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 10:42
froog wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 10:25 what do people think about b Silva? is he nailed on? who else would take that centre attacking role?
I know it's Pep, but I'm sure the quote was along the lines of "Bernardo and 10 others for now" and with him getting another goal yesterday I can't see how that's changed. I'll admit I never saw the game so have no idea of his overall performance but goals alone were enough for Sterling - who I don't rate overall as a player due to the amount of chances he wastes.
This lazy stereotype that Sterling wastes loads of chances needs to stop. It simply isn’t true. People remember the glaring miss against Burnley and assume he misses loads of big chances or has a poor conversion rate. Just because he never spanks one in from 25 yards and only scores simple goals doesn’t make him wasteful.

Some figures from last season.

Conversion rate:
Salah: 22.2%
Sterling: 20.7%
Sane: 17.5%
Hazard: 16.9%
Son: 16%
Mane: 14.3%
Alli: 13%
Sanchez: 10.2%

Percentage of big chances scored:
Sterling: 58%
Son: 50%
Alli: 50%
Salah: 46%
Sane: 45%
Hazard: 44%
Mane: 33%
Sanchez: 33%
His xG is also pretty much bang on with his actual goals scored too throughout his career so far (e.g. 18.83 xG last season, 18 goals). Evaluating finishing skill properly is really hard and we probably still don't have enough data to know for sure how good he is, but saying he's a bad finisher is just plain wrong on the evidence we have currently. The 'eye test' is often misleading, yes Sterling misses lots of chances but that's because he has soooo many chances in the first place, which is really rare. I don't know about you, but I think 0.63 NPxG90 (non-penalty expected goals per 90 minutes) is pretty good going (6th best, actually)! For comparison, Lukaku scored 16 goals (14.71 NPxG), which works out at 0.44 NPxG90, and Salah and Sterling were in a different league to the rest of the players listed in the above quote (next best was Mane at 0.46 NPxG90). Most people are completely overestimating chance quality (i.e. likelihood that a particular chance is scored) and the media are constantly attacking Sterling for no reason (well, it's probably racism), so there is a lot of undeserved bias against him.

This article is great if anyone needs convincing still:
https://statsbomb.com/2018/07/raheem-st ... ing-goals/
Last edited by twhelan22 on 13 Aug 2018, 13:45, edited 1 time in total.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

twhelan22 wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 13:36 Most people are completely overestimating chance quality
This is absolutely true. For example a word 'sitter' has suffered massive inflation in this forum.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

It's not that he wastes chances with rubbish shots (he isn't great but he is generally ok), it is his decision making that can be appalling. He wastes chances by not playing the right pass at the right time etc - did it dozens of times at the WC but knows his role/place a little better at Citeh.

Whatever you think of the selfish little money grabber with great ability and a tiny brain (and I won't say what I think), it is his points return that counts at the end of the day.

bigcliff2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Rubbish

Post by bigcliff2 »

Desperado wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 12:56
bigcliff2 wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 12:20 The thing with Bernardo is that he can play a few positions and even if he's on the bench, he's likely to come on and with City's scoring prowess, he could easily get points off the bench. At 7.5, I'm thinking it might be worth just keeping him (barring injury) and riding out the rotation concerns. Does anyone know/have any stats on how many games he started last season and when his points came?
As I wrote already elsewhere BSilva was eased in the system in the first half of the season and played large majority of minutes on the second half. He was benched full 90 mins only thrice in PL. What needs to be noted that there was a period in May and April when he didn't get more than a sub appearances for for five games including a full 90 mins on bench against Liverpool 1st leg CL. For details see transfermarkt.

edit. And for what it's worth he got the most BPS per minutes from the bunch of DSilva, Sane, Sterling and KDB.
Thanks

dino1980
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL Best, 1,000th 2014-15.

Post by dino1980 »

math! wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 12:21 Can you show the number of big chances for those players?
Salah 43
Sterling 26
Mane 19
Son 18
Sanchez 15
Alli 15
Sane 11
Hazard 9

twhelan22
Treebeard

Post by twhelan22 »

murf wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 13:47 It's not that he wastes chances with rubbish shots (he isn't great but he is generally ok), it is his decision making that can be appalling. He wastes chances by not playing the right pass at the right time etc - did it dozens of times at the WC but knows his role/place a little better at Citeh.

Whatever you think of the selfish little money grabber with great ability and a tiny brain (and I won't say what I think), it is his points return that counts at the end of the day.
How is he a selfish money grabber with a tiny brain? Would love to hear a reasonable explanation for that one!

As for chance creation, only 8 players managed a higher xA90 than Sterling in the EPL last season, most of whom are the names you'd expect like KDB, Coutinho, Ozil and Eriksen.

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

' a tiny brain '

The irony is thick Obi Wan

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

LamebrainEddy
Red & Blue Braces

Post by LamebrainEddy »

twhelan22 wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 14:10
How is he a selfish money grabber with a tiny brain? Would love to hear a reasonable explanation for that one!
Sun readers need no explanation

twhelan22
Treebeard

Post by twhelan22 »

Some more stats:

US90 = unsuccessful touches per 90, aka bad control
DP90 = dispossessed on the ball per 90

Sterling: 2.3 US90, 2 DP90
Sane: 3 US90, 2.4 DP90
Sanchez: 2.7 US90, 3 DP90
Salah: 3.2 US90, 2.9 DP90
Hazard: 2.4 US90, 2.8 DP90
Zaha: 3.7 US90, 3.9 DP90
Mahrez: 2.8 US90, 1.9 DP90
Mane: 2.8 US90, 2 DP90
Martial: 3.1 US90, 3.1 DP90
Son: 2.5 US90, 2.2 DP90

carver
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Top 50k last 4 seasons . Mr Consistent

Post by carver »

World Cup Stats

Conversion rate:
Sterling: 0%

:D

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

Do all his air shots count in these magic stats?

OldSkoolFPL
Red & Blue Braces

Post by OldSkoolFPL »

murf wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 13:47 It's not that he wastes chances with rubbish shots (he isn't great but he is generally ok), it is his decision making that can be appalling. He wastes chances by not playing the right pass at the right time etc - did it dozens of times at the WC but knows his role/place a little better at Citeh.

And still he scored 18 goals and got 17 assists at age 23, imagine what he'll be like this year when he improves even more? Early signs after yesterday are encouraging.

What I don't follow is how many are prepared to spend 11m on Aguero but not 11m on Sterling, Aguero scored 169 points last year, Sterling scored 229 & was returning almost every week, I'd argue Sterling is more key to City's play than Aguero yet one is seen as must have but the other not.

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

Pep 100% said Sterling was good to go because hes skinny and short and runs funny. Hss nailed on its seems, fat Sane and Mahrez for the other spot

froog
FISOhead

Post by froog »

sterling is top class and scores goals all day for fun. how is this even a debate?

OldSkoolFPL
Red & Blue Braces

Post by OldSkoolFPL »

Sterling was nailed anyway IMO, the fact that him & Mendy worked so well down that side with Sterling cutting in to allow Mendy on the outside nailed him more for me.

That left side is going to kill teams this season.

sunnO)))jihai
FISOhead

Post by sunnO)))jihai »

Well, he left Liverpool for one, which makes him a stupid mercenary by default. Everyone knows he only left for the money and not for the three trophies he has won so far. He's also black. And he runs funny with his t-rex arms. And I bet he paid well over the odds for that tattoo the flash little wink. Either that or he got it done on the cheap the tight bustard. (source for that one)

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

A little brain with T rex arms

Never let it be said fantasy footbal managers arent balanced in their rage when a player they dont own scores

twhelan22
Treebeard

Post by twhelan22 »

Billy Bongo wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 15:26 Do all his air shots count in these magic stats?

I know you are joking here but some xG models do factor in air shots or don't even use shots at all - not sure about Understat as they don't publish their methodology. I have a dataset now which will allow me to factor that in though, just need to spend the time making the model, which is a lot easier said than done.

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

OldSkoolFPL wrote:

And still he scored 18 goals and got 17 assists at age 23, imagine what he'll be like this year when he improves even more? Early signs after yesterday are encouraging.

What I don't follow is how many are prepared to spend 11m on Aguero but not 11m on Sterling, Aguero scored 169 points last year, Sterling scored 229 & was returning almost every week, I'd argue Sterling is more key to City's play than Aguero yet one is seen as must have but the other not.
Aguero played 25% less mins and yet scored only 20% less points . That's why

twhelan22
Treebeard

Post by twhelan22 »

carver wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 15:21 World Cup Stats

Conversion rate:

Yep! Golden boot winner scored 1 goal from open play, and that was by accident!

MPTree
Grumpy Old Man

Post by MPTree »

I certainly think there's a discussion to be had regarding Agureo & ~9m mid vs. Sterling & ~9m forward. A few more games should paint a clearer picture of how worthwhile that approach would be.

genevapics
Treebeard

Post by genevapics »

sunnO)))jihai wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 16:15

He's also black.(source for that one)

You sound like a BIGOT. WTH does the color of his skin have to do with anything? Surely you’re not saying he’s less intelligent due to skin color are you?

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

genevapics wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 18:45
sunnO)))jihai wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 16:15

He's also black.(source for that one)

You sound like a BIGOT. WTH does the color of his skin have to do with anything? Surely you’re not saying he’s less intelligent due to skin color are you?

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Post by Beerfuelledman »

genevapics wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 18:45
sunnO)))jihai wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 16:15 He's also black.(source for that one)
Choosing which parts of a post to quote doesn't allow any context to come through. Had you chosen "Everyone knows he only left for the money and not for the three trophies he has won so far." the sarcasm may have been more apparent. But lets not stray to close to the line here folks and move back on topic please.

dellboy30
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FISO TFFE league champ

Post by dellboy30 »

twhelan22 wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 16:54

Conversion rate:

Weren't Kane's 2 goals in opening game from open play ?

Demonic Pact
Kevin and Perry

Post by Demonic Pact »

bigcliff2 wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 12:20 (...)Does anyone know/have any stats on how many games he started last season and when his points came?
Here's the relevant city mids last seasons stats:

https://www.reddit.com/r/FantasyPL/comm ... ayer_data/

twhelan22
Treebeard

Post by twhelan22 »

dellboy30 wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 19:09
twhelan22 wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 16:54

Conversion rate:

Weren't Kane's 2 goals in opening game from open play ?
Corners

snout
FISO Knight
FS Record: a slice of that cake, over there

Post by snout »

Seriously considering swapping Mikitikitaki + Aguero for Sterling + Zaha.

But maybe I should wait until after I TC Serge in the Newcastle game?

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”