To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Manchester City

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Jameselaprendi
Grumpy Old Man

Re: Manchester City (inc KDB injury implications)

Post by Jameselaprendi »

xJosh- wrote: 26 Nov 2018, 08:44 The way Sane is playing I'm not really sure why he's not being considered in the same bracket but at the end of the day given the squad there's just got to be rotation.
Think about the logic of what you’re saying here. If you can see it everybody else can see it. Pep can see it. Sané is in the same bracket, he’s just been behind Sterling on developing consistently, maturity.

Sané is the better player imho and it’s probably only a matter of time before that bears out... I have a feeling this is going to be a significant period for Sané.

Things are always changing in this game.

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

Guardiola doesn't rest players for fun, he will want his best 11 every game. But he will give a player a rest if he thinks he can win without rhem, ie Sterling v Burnley and Huddersfield. This keeps his sqaud fresh.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Indeed, people seem to think he’s picking names at random.

Ederson, Laporte, Fernandinho and Aguero have started every league game

Walker, Sterling and D Silva only missed two league games. B Silva has only missed one league game when fit.

Mendy started every league game when fit.

That’s 9 almost ever presents.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Joccki_10 wrote: 24 Nov 2018, 14:06 Mendy out: Stones and Mahrez benched.

How do Stones and Mendy complete each other? :roll:
And it appears that Otamendi is the go to guy to complement the team with Sane [this connection is not completely isolated from the one above of course]

Stones started 9/10 when Mendy fit
Stones started 2/7 when Mendy injured
Sane started 2/10 when Mendy is fit
Sane started 5/7 when Mendy is injured
Otamendi started 5/7 when Mendy is injured
Otamendi started 5/7 when Sane has started

Logically if stones isn’t starting another CB has to start; but appears that it’s Otamendi rather than Kompany. Kompany has only started 4 games (3 have been with a fit Mendy.

* using league and CL games

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

I suspect Stones is the only one that can stand in for old man Ferdinandingo hence his rests

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

Billy Bongo wrote: 26 Nov 2018, 18:36 old man Ferdinandingo
A Ferdinandingo ate my baby.

Jason Bourne
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Jason Bourne »

Jameselaprendi wrote: 26 Nov 2018, 11:47
xJosh- wrote: 26 Nov 2018, 08:44 The way Sane is playing I'm not really sure why he's not being considered in the same bracket but at the end of the day given the squad there's just got to be rotation.
Think about the logic of what you’re saying here. If you can see it everybody else can see it. Pep can see it. Sané is in the same bracket, he’s just been behind Sterling on developing consistently, maturity.

Sané is the better player imho and it’s probably only a matter of time before that bears out... I have a feeling this is going to be a significant period for Sané.

xJosh- wrote: 26 Nov 2018, 08:44 I'm thinking oh my god Sterling could actually end up player of the season. STERLING. Bar it being given to the majestic D Silva,...
Quite surprised at the appraisals on sterling, I think he'll prove himself the best player at city this season. Maybe Sané goes up a level this year but he'll still have a ways to go to catch sterling in terms of ability and importance to the team.

xJosh-
FISOhead

Post by xJosh- »

Jameselaprendi wrote: 26 Nov 2018, 11:47

I actually agree with you in terms of Sane actually being a better player (more ability/raw talent) however isn't as consistent as Sterling & Sterlings consistency has actually come since being managed by Pep. That being said Sterlings decision making is much better than Sanes and he is much more consistent in his performances, what he does for the team and the shape he gives us with his positioning, movement etc.

That being said it doesn't mean Sane is considered in that bracket on the basis that Sterling is arguably one of the first if not the first name on the team sheet at the minute with Sane being the one considered for rotation and with it being Christmas there will definitely be rotation for all 3 of them IMO but more so for Marhez/Sane.

Sterling & Sane were both part of last seasons 100 point record breaking ridiculous attack and we all saw the ability of Sane quite clearly so I have no doubt Pep rates him very highly as a player but my point is, there's a lot of games, there's different comps, there's a big squad, Pep plays some of our players depending on who he feels is best suited at times I.E Sane's pace vs Zabaleta. We signed Mahrez for this very reason IMO & he will start games in the PL here & there in place of Sane and from an FPL POV I'm only convinced enough to have Sterling atm.

Trust me I've put Sane in my team g for Hazard about 10 times in the last 3 days and then keep telling myself not to due to the above but if Hazard isn't going to start against Fulham & Sane doesn't start against Lyon I'll make the move, risk it and pray Sane isn't used for like the last 7 min of a game at any point.

Jameselaprendi
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Jameselaprendi »

The only thing I’d say is, why can’t Sané use his superior raw talent to at least catchup with Sterling?

It was Pep did the same work on Sterling.

I think that’s why Sané didn’t start the season - part of the process, a reality check. A shake to get him to listen to what he needs to do. Peps comments on MOTD seemed telling for me.

This is aside from the Sané increased minutes due to Mendy injury for tactical reasons. Sterling might get more minutes centrally too, as previously mentioned by Pep. Therefore less need to rotate Sané. Sané has played fewer mins to date so might have more in the tank going into Xmas.

I also think Sané is most likely to be rested in the tougher games. Although it worries me that pep has trialled not playing pace against teams that park the bus...

When all is said and done Sterling will probably play more minutes. And is further up the pecking order. But he’s £2m (20%) more expensive.

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

I dont agree that Sane is a better player than sterling

Pep trusts sterling as winger and false.9.

Hed never trust Sane up front. Sterlings postionals awareness and timing of his runs is exceptional

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

And to be frank , Guardiola, does not and never has rotated players. What he does is play a team he thinks he can win with. Its about the game situation he faces and the tactics required to win. He just think one Saturday morning right its Mahrez turn.

He has a squad and he uses it, but absolutely guranteed he woukd want to start his best players all the time.

And anyway, 3 days is enough to recover

raoul
Dumbledore
FS Record: Tied for OR 1st worldwide in FPL in GW5 in 21/22 (only to then finish 1m), and ranked 1st in TFF late in season 21/22 (eventual finish 95th). Won an old game called Football Fantastic. Best Fanteam finish 117th and cashed £150. Best FPL finish 2.4K.

Post by raoul »

So ... Next game. Starting line-up now CL qualified?

Same XI as tonight? Or is that too shocking?

Owsler
Dumbledore

Post by Owsler »

Sane will start.

xJosh-
FISOhead

Post by xJosh- »

Billy Bongo wrote: 27 Nov 2018, 21:11 And to be frank , Guardiola, does not and never has rotated players. What he does is play a team he thinks he can win with. Its about the game situation he faces and the tactics required to win. He just think one Saturday morning right its Mahrez turn.

He has a squad and he uses it, but absolutely guranteed he woukd want to start his best players all the time.

And anyway, 3 days is enough to recover

This is true but its also kind of my point in terms of rotation, I'm not necessarily saying its all in terms of fitness etc Sane Sterling & Aguero are comfortably our best front 3 and you only have to look at last season to see that. However as you have just said, if we are playing BOU for example and he decides Mahrez is better suited to play that still leaves us FPL players with the issue of Sane probably coming on for 10-20 min in that game. At the end of the day fitness is still a thing to consider and to a degree all we can do is speculate, Sane could've come off last night and said "my legs are done in" and if he's still feeling it Friday that would make Pep play Mahrez instead this weekend but we'd never hear that. The truth is we just don't know for sure, we can only have our sky sports point of view.

The thing is when there's other midweek fixtures it causes even further speculation, Pep might think Sane is the best player to play Sat Wed then Sat again but that doesn't mean that's what's going to happen because the players fitness does need managing throughout the season. For example Aguero has started practically every game but god knows how many times he's been dragged off at 60th min, I don't think that's tactical I think its to give Jesus mins and keep an ageing Aguero fit.

The point is Sterling is clearly the least risky because he is prepared to play him practically every game and I would assume Pep believes he's more crucial than any attacking midfielder in any game we play. The decision to be made is between Sane & Mahrez which makes Sane a little risky & I'm not sure I like a little risky for 9.3m :lol: but I do think Sane will start at BOU this weekend and I might be prepared to make that sub and ride out his form for the good and the bad for Hazard. If the Hazard news isn't good then its an easy choice but if he's fit I'd arguably captain him so I'd have a decision to make... and its for a -4

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

Sterling also didnt get any mins when he sat out those 2 games. Annoyingly City scored 11 in those but at least vice captains kicked in

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Billy Bongo wrote: 28 Nov 2018, 10:58 Sterling also didnt get any mins when he sat out those 2 games. Annoyingly City scored 11 in those but at least vice captains kicked in

I think he is always likely to be subbed in though, even if it didn't happen in last two occasions.

Or do you think he is likely to stay benched (if he is benched in the first place) let's say in this gameweek? I'd like to hear your opinion because if that is the case then he is an excellent captain option indeed. It's a cameo threat that I'm wary of.

xJosh-
FISOhead

Post by xJosh- »

Finisher1 wrote: 28 Nov 2018, 11:42
Billy Bongo wrote: 28 Nov 2018, 10:58 Sterling also didnt get any mins when he sat out those 2 games. Annoyingly City scored 11 in those but at least vice captains kicked in

I think he is always likely to be subbed in though, even if it didn't happen in last two occasions.

Or do you think he is likely to stay benched (if he is benched in the first place) let's say in this gameweek? I'd like to hear your opinion because if that is the case then he is an excellent captain option indeed. It's a cameo threat that I'm wary of.
Its anyone's guess really but I'd say surely Sterling would only be thrown on if City were behind/drawing. I mean it makes sense to put Sterling on in that situation however if they're 5-0 up and there's a midweek game etc why would Sterling go on for 10-20 min over Jesus/Sane/Mahrez/Foden/Delph/Zinchenko who would be wanting minutes. It makes sense to just protect him. That's why my opinion on Sane is different and I feel the cameos are a lot more likely however I do believe he will start more than he is subbed on its just how early do any of these players get subbed off when they do start.

xJosh-
FISOhead

Post by xJosh- »

This is v true but also backs up my comment above, when City are cruising why risk Sterling when its not needed and he gets a longer break, if City were struggling then he would be the sub to come on to help.

carver
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Top 50k last 4 seasons . Mr Consistent

Post by carver »

I would agree Sterling would only come on if the game wasn’t won .

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

I think a key point is being missed here because of this obsession wirh rotation.

Thats a thing now in the modern game and in fantasy football we have a bench to cover for this.

And in Sterlings case its almost irrelevant.

Missing a game and yet scoring double digits in the others is still a great return. He is the current highest points scoring player in the game despite missing 2 games.

And yet fantasy managers are still obsessing over his mins.

You take the odd tactical benching to enjoy the hauls, its that simple.

You can also negate the worry for next 7 weeks by just getting Kane and making him captain for all those games

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Billy Bongo wrote: 28 Nov 2018, 15:42 I think a key point is being missed here because of this obsession wirh rotation.

Thats a thing now in the modern game and in fantasy football we have a bench to cover for this.
No, you missed my point.

I have had Sterling for the most part of this season and even captained him. I'm happy to have him and captain him in the future too.

I just want to know if he is likely to be subbed in when he is benched. I will have him regardless, because he is easily worth his money even if he makes an odd cameo. But whether or not he is likely to make a cameo is a very crucial factor regarding captaincy.

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

I've no idea. Logic dictates no, if they are winning 4 nil, as already pointed out.

I made a general point aimed at no one in particular.

Only you can decide how likely he is to come on. They were winning easily those 2 games and he stayed benched

You'd think that it would be strange for him to stay benched of they needed a goal though

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Billy Bongo wrote: 28 Nov 2018, 16:57 I've no idea. Logic dictates no, if they are winning 4 nil, as already pointed out.
Yeah, that was my initial thought as well, but I didn't want to mention it because I wanted to hear people's genuine opinions without manipulating or misleading those opinions :)

I just don't know if it's that straightfoward.

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

I agree, it isn't.

But one thing im sure of is a manager like Guardiola doesn't take it in turns with his players to kee them happy, or fresh.

He picks his sides for footballing reasons at thats all. He will never ever just think ill rest someone because he thinks he needs it. If a player is rested for non tactical reasons it will ater his medica team have advised accordingly, usually from trainimg data.

Fact is Guardiola has tactical options to use and he does so. He didn't need sterling against Hudds and Bly and benched him and they scored 11 goals.

How he sees Bournemouth and who stays benched is hard to call and we have the added complexity of Bilva being injured.

Bobby Fetta
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bobby Fetta »

Stating the obvious here, but maybe the City players play better when they do play because they are more rested, unlike the big names at other teams who play almost every minute.

Anyway, here is a plot of the minutes played so far this season. Ederson and Laporte having played every minute so far...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

Its also possible to rotate players and a team out of form, Potch and Jose have done this before

finkelele
Treebeard

Post by finkelele »

So will Sterling start against Bournemouth in the weekend?

MPTree
Grumpy Old Man

Post by MPTree »

Couple of predicted line-ups for ya.

City Watch predict this:

Whereas FFS predict this:

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Interesting MPTree. How accurate is this City Watch on average? Is their track record good or not?

MPTree
Grumpy Old Man

Post by MPTree »

Finisher1 wrote: 30 Nov 2018, 16:00 Interesting MPTree. How accurate is this City Watch on average? Is their track record good or not?
It's been pretty good recently. Mostly they're just a specialist fan site who know the club and its players very well, so it's as good as any educated guess you can find, IMO. They very much present it as reasoned guesswork, so could be wrong at any time. It's interesting to me that they have Kun benched though, and is enough to make me reconsider his captaincy.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”