To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

2018/19 Premium defenders 6.0+

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Re: 2018/19 Premium defenders 6.0+

Post by Stemania »

Surely they'll get in a replacement LB should he go - I know Kurzawa has been linked.

If he goes and isn't replaced, I'll probably be on the Davies train too!

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

Poor Danny Rose..... he probably hasn't even heard of any of Schalke's players. :wink:

Arhaych
FISOhead
FS Record: Voted "Most Suave Fantasy Manager" - 2012/2013

Post by Arhaych »

Stemania wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 10:03 Surely they'll get in a replacement LB should he go - I know Kurzawa has been linked.

If he goes and isn't replaced, I'll probably be on the Davies train too!
Kyle Walker-Peters may be used as backup left-back, been given minutes there in pre-season apparently.

math!
Dumbledore
FS Record: Yes

Post by math! »

So Davies, Mendy, Arnold, and the 4.0m starters is a potential direction I could go. Basically Boly gets upgraded to Davies.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

math! wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 12:04 So Davies, Mendy, Arnold, and the 4.0m starters is a potential direction I could go.
I would almost certainly do this too if Davies was left as the only top LB.

sunbather
FISOhead
FS Record: Top 60k FPL finish seven years in a row, best result Top 2k

Post by sunbather »

Arhaych wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 09:52 Danny Rose in talks with Schalke over a loan move.

This cements Ben Davies's place in my team.
Ooh yes, it's a toss up for me between Davies and Mendy at the moment.

Are all the Mendy owners planning on playing him first GW? I'm concerned about his rotation risk generally and feel like I'd rather have the more likely 6+ points on the board in the first week than the Arsenal away game. Am I playing it too safe?

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

Pva to outscore Davies this season bookmark this

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Arhaych
FISOhead
FS Record: Voted "Most Suave Fantasy Manager" - 2012/2013

Post by Arhaych »

sunbather wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 12:38
Arhaych wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 09:52 Danny Rose in talks with Schalke over a loan move.

This cements Ben Davies's place in my team.
Ooh yes, it's a toss up for me between Davies and Mendy at the moment.

Are all the Mendy owners planning on playing him first GW? I'm concerned about his rotation risk generally and feel like I'd rather have the more likely 6+ points on the board in the first week than the Arsenal away game. Am I playing it too safe?
I'm a Mendy owner and I'll be playing him GW1.

germainelefoe
Red & Blue Braces

Post by germainelefoe »

Jason Bourne wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 04:46 Seeing Mendy and Robertson in lots of teams. Are we convinced they're both nailed? Delph looked amazing last year, thinking about spending the extra outlay to get Otamendi for security of starts. Robertson also was in and out of the team.
I feel Robertson is clear 1st choice. He has just way more quality than Moreno. There might be rotation when there are important CL fixtures on the horizon but imo apart from that he is nailed.

Mendy I am not so sure about. There's Delph and possibly Danilo? that could take his place and have been listening to podcasts saying Sane can come in at LWB. I want him (Mendy) in my team but I'm unsure. Ederson and then Walker definitely the most nailed in that defence.

Owsler
Dumbledore

Post by Owsler »

6 mil is a lot to be unsure (re. Mendy). I've got TAA/Robertson and PVA at the moment + 2 4.0s. Feel like I need a more nailed on third defender.

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

Theres nothing to be unsure about with Mendy, nothing, hes a beast, and first choice

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Desperado
Treebeard

Post by Desperado »

Really difficult to see Delph getting anything more than couple of odd games instead of Mendy. I can see two tactical roles for Pep's wingbacks but it's nearly as insane to leave fully fit Mendy aside because of Delph as it would be to leave Salah on the bench when Liverpool faces bunch of midgets because they want crosses in the box from right flank. The part what Delph played last year was just to occupy left flank and pass the ball 5 yards to MC/DC. It was so reduced that even Zinchencthing excelled in that role. Mendy gives all that plus so much more.

Jason Bourne
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Jason Bourne »

MiNiMaL_FuSS wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 08:07
Jason Bourne wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 04:46 Seeing Mendy and Robertson in lots of teams. Are we convinced they're both nailed? Delph looked amazing last year, thinking about spending the extra outlay to get Otamendi for security of starts. Robertson also was in and out of the team.
Robertson is nailed on.

Mendy is not. Pep has said he is useful but he will use multiple formations. He has made big use of inverted fullbacks at very club he has worked at in rotation with different tactics, it's this role that Delph has made his own.

Bottom line, it's not simple rotation, it's tactical.

When pep wants width he will use Mendy as a wingbaxk.

When pep wants to overload midfiled he will use Delph as an inverted wingback.

That depends on the style of who they are playing. That's football.
This is it here. Delph and mendy have different skillsets and fundamentally Pep teams look to control the midfield. Sterling/Sane/Mahrez are wide options as well, add this to the fact he's coming off a cruciate I don't think pep will play him heavy minutes week in week out.

Blue Fire
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Blue Fire »

Desperado wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 21:56 Really difficult to see Delph getting anything more than couple of odd games instead of Mendy. I can see two tactical roles for Pep's wingbacks but it's nearly as insane to leave fully fit Mendy aside because of Delph as it would be to leave Salah on the bench when Liverpool faces bunch of midgets because they want crosses in the box from right flank. The part what Delph played last year was just to occupy left flank and pass the ball 5 yards to MC/DC. It was so reduced that even Zinchencthing excelled in that role. Mendy gives all that plus so much more.

This. The only danger is that Mendy is coming back from a long term injury, so he might miss the occasional game to not over-exert himself

3 men and a bebe
Kevin and Perry

Mendy vs Alonso

Post by 3 men and a bebe »

Can't really afford both, which one are people think? Or both? Or Neither?

TheBigLewandowski
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: OR 1,259 2016/17

Re: Mendy vs Alonso

Post by TheBigLewandowski »

Both are looking hard to resist at this moment in time.

baganboy
Comfortably Dumb(ledore)
FS Record: 2011/12 - 212. 2019/20 - 222.
Altogether 6 top 10Ks. 8 top 20Ks. 9 top 50Ks.

Post by baganboy »

AND

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

Mendy is a must have. Not so sure about Alonso. I think he’s not as advanced as he was so may not keep up his attacking output. I think his assist in game 1 was his only venture into the box.

Not sure on this though - just a feeling.

Jamtart
Treebeard
FS Record: Hopefully improving...

Post by Jamtart »

I feel like both is the best bet for now. Along with Robertson with their current fixtures for a terrible trio at the back!

HungryHungrySuarez
Red & Blue Braces

Post by HungryHungrySuarez »

Mendy Alonso and Robertson are all capable of outscoring the similarly priced mids and fwds. Seems sensible to pick up at least 2 of those?

Owsler
Dumbledore

Post by Owsler »

I've got Mendy and feel I need Alonso. Would anyone ditch PVA for Alonso?

hancockjr
Dumbledore

Post by hancockjr »

HungryHungrySuarez wrote: 19 Aug 2018, 18:44 Mendy Alonso and Robertson are all capable of outscoring the similarly priced mids and fwds. Seems sensible to pick up at least 2 of those?
I hear this quite often but don't think it's a valid comparison.

You would also have to compare the alternatives in the position, and 4.5m defenders also outscore 4.5m mids/forwards - indeed AWB is only 4m.

My current wildcard team doesn't have Alonso, which may be a mistake but what would you do to bring him in?
WC4.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The Real Slim Shady
Dumbledore
FS Record: 1,465th in FPL 05/06

Post by The Real Slim Shady »

I already have Mendy and Robertson and thinking about bringing in Alonso for Bailly. Due to rise tonight.

hancockjr
Dumbledore

Post by hancockjr »

hancockjr wrote: 19 Aug 2018, 19:28
HungryHungrySuarez wrote: 19 Aug 2018, 18:44 Mendy Alonso and Robertson are all capable of outscoring the similarly priced mids and fwds. Seems sensible to pick up at least 2 of those?

You would also have to compare the alternatives in the position, and 4.5m defenders also outscore 4.5m mids/forwards - indeed AWB is only 4m.

My current wildcard team doesn't have Alonso, which may be a mistake but what would you do to bring him in?
Actually could have

Firmino and Alonso

instead of

Aubameyang and TAA

May do that.

Taksim_Red
Wideboy

Post by Taksim_Red »

hancockjr wrote: 19 Aug 2018, 19:58

Actually could have

Firmino and Alonso

instead of

Aubameyang and TAA

May do that.
I was just about to recommended you the same. :)

Blue Fire
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Blue Fire »

The Real Slim Shady wrote: 19 Aug 2018, 19:44 I already have Mendy and Robertson and thinking about bringing in Alonso for Bailly. Due to rise tonight.

In the same boat. Have already spent my FT(s) so it'd be for a hit

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

WC4.PNG
Why is it not a valid comparison?

At the end of the day if a forward for 6.0M or a mid for 6.0M is averaging 3.5ppg and a defender for 6.0M is averaging 4.5ppg say, then you are better off having the defender. If that means that you have to play a 'more defensive' 4-4-2 instead of a 'more attacking' 3-4-3 then so be it. At the end of the day you shouldn't really care what formation you end up putting out, so long as you are maximising your total points expectation.

So it's a completely valid comparison and is a huge reason why FPL have messed up the premium defender pricing over the last few years, by making them too cheap compared to similarly priced options in midfield and up-front.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mendy gave someone as high priced as Alli a run for their money for total season points, yet you can pick him up for 3.0M less. It's silly.

Patrician
Grumpy Old Man
Location: ...bears no responsibility for bad points forecasts
FS Record: 2nd TFFE 2008, FPL 3 top 10k finishes

Post by Patrician »

I am currently forecasting Mendy as scoring more points than any other player this season!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tommygun25
Grumpy Old Man

Post by tommygun25 »

Owsler wrote: 19 Aug 2018, 19:14 I've got Mendy and feel I need Alonso. Would anyone ditch PVA for Alonso?
Maybe depends if you have AWB

hancockjr
Dumbledore

Post by hancockjr »

Football Hero wrote: 19 Aug 2018, 20:54

WC4.PNG
Why is it not a valid comparison?

At the end of the day if a forward for 6.0M or a mid for 6.0M is averaging 3.5ppg and a defender for 6.0M is averaging 4.5ppg say, then you are better off having the defender. If that means that you have to play a 'more defensive' 4-4-2 instead of a 'more attacking' 3-4-3 then so be it. At the end of the day you shouldn't really care what formation you end up putting out, so long as you are maximising your total points expectation.

So it's a completely valid comparison and is a huge reason why FPL have messed up the premium defender pricing over the last few years, by making them too cheap compared to similarly priced options in midfield and up-front.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mendy gave someone as high priced as Alli a run for their money for total season points, yet you can pick him up for 3.0M less. It's silly.
Imagine FPL made every defender £10m more expensive, but gave you £50m more funds. It should not affect who you pick, but the cheapest defenders would be priced like expensive mids. You should still pick the same defenders though.

In reality there are pickable £4.0m defenders, who will play if necessary and keep their value. You really have to go to £5m for pickable mids.

It's not a comparison without merit, but it is more complex than a simple points for points comparison because ultimately you have to have 5 mids and 5 defenders, and only 11 players can play every week.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”