To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Milner is a defender

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
boise1234
Grumpy Old Man

Re: Milner is a defender

Post by boise1234 »

I would have thought Milner would have been one of the first names on Klopps team sheet, the only question is wether it will be at LB or LM

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

boise1234 wrote:I would have thought Milner would have been one of the first names on Klopps team sheet, the only question is wether it will be at LB or LM
I agree, I think he'll start. The only question is where.

Le Red
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Will improve

Post by Le Red »

I have Milner on my draft. To be honest, my favorite for the slot is Alonso, but fixtures and the extra cash made me put Milner on the squad. It's not playing time I'm worried about, he's the typical Klopp player and will play whenever fit, bar some kind of rotation in crucial CL stages.
I have no doubt he'll score a handful of goals and assists during the season. People are concerned that all his goals were penalty kicks, but I think it is actually a good thing, he has a guaranteed source of goals, since he's such a great penalty taker and a team with that playstyle and skilled fast players is likely to be on the top of the table for penalties won.
To me, the big issue with him is the most basic for any defender: number of clean sheets. We know that, even if Liverpool improves defensively, and they surely will, since Lucas will go (I think God has decided scousers suffered enough for their sins), Liverpool's playstyle will no doubt cause them to concede more goals than their defensive oriented rivals. Thus why I rate Alonso better than him, in spite of the extra cost.
Still, Milner's offensive contributions may be enough to make him stand out above most defenders, and I expect him to be in the top 5. The thing is, will it be worth the extra money paid over alternatives such as Trippier and Lindelof? To me, the answer is: hardly.
For those reasons, I believe Milner is not a bad buy, considering he's likely to be one of the best defenders of the season and he has good starting fixtures. An early goal could also trigger a couple of price rises. In the long run, though, I'd prefer cheaper alternatives from more defensive teams.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

First defender on my team sheet, when I saw that's how he'd been classified.

rohitpotter
Kevin and Perry
FS Record: https://fantasy.premierleague.com/a/entry/698/history

Post by rohitpotter »

A great choice as a defender... irrespective of which position he starts in he should bring plenty of points this season as a defender :D

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

No one is concerned about the size of Liverpool's squad and being able to cope with the CL? Not to mention the high tempo gengen thang, which many blamed for "stamina" issues last season.

Poison Idea
Treebeard
FS Record: Decent

Post by Poison Idea »

blahblah wrote:No one is concerned about the size of Liverpool's squad and being able to cope with the CL? Not to mention the high tempo gengen thang, which many blamed for "stamina" issues last season.
I am. I don't think Robertson - if signed - will oust Milner automatically. I do think that he will get a fair share of minutes though. I'd also be concerned with the possibility of one point cameos when benched as Milner, being so versatile, is a perfect contender for.

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

Poison I said that earlier and got pooh poohed

Sent from mobile

YTFCscratch
Treebeard

Post by YTFCscratch »

If Milner plays, he will get points. The risk is that he loses minutes at which point his VORP becomes non existent and everyone will switch to another premium. Best case scenario for those considering Milner is he starts the season whilst Robertson settles, then by the time he does lose minutes other options that might save a few quid will have made themselves known.

ArmChairPundit
Red & Blue Braces

Milner

Post by ArmChairPundit »

How Milner'd is Milner?

Flagged 75%

From4corners
FISO Jedi Knight

Re: Milner

Post by From4corners »

Just saw the new Nivea commercial, not sure if he'll make it for the first week to be honest.

ArmChairPundit
Red & Blue Braces

Post by ArmChairPundit »

bustard

Droughton
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL 11/12 - 292

Post by Droughton »

If he was classed as a defender last season he would have scored 7 more points for his goals and 36 more points for clean sheets = 43 more points

He may have also got more bonus points but that can be debated so its up to you if you want to take that into consideration
Another thing to consider is he also takes a lot of FK + corners, but Liverpool had a very low conversion rate from set pieces last season. If VVD signs I would expect 3-4 headed in from him which would be another 9-12 in assist points, but we won't include that for now.

139+43 = 182 ...... Highest points for a defender last season

ArmChairPundit
Red & Blue Braces

Post by ArmChairPundit »

Droughton wrote: 30 Jul 2017, 13:05 If he was classed as a defender last season he would have scored 7 more points for his goals and 36 more points for clean sheets = 43 more points

He may have also got more bonus points but that can be debated so its up to you if you want to take that into consideration
Another thing to consider is he also takes a lot of FK + corners, but Liverpool had a very low conversion rate from set pieces last season. If VVD signs I would expect 3-4 headed in from him which would be another 9-12 in assist points, but we won't include that for now.

So wot ya say'in ?

Terry Henry
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: See me after class!

Post by Terry Henry »

Is he definitely still on pens? I might consider him but it would be instead of either Alonso or Walker

Droughton
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL 11/12 - 292

Post by Droughton »

Terry Henry wrote: Is he definitely still on pens? I might consider him but it would be instead of either Alonso or Walker

ArmChairPundit wrote: 30 Jul 2017, 20:45
Droughton wrote: 30 Jul 2017, 13:05 If he was classed as a defender last season he would have scored 7 more points for his goals and 36 more points for clean sheets = 43 more points

So wot ya say'in ?

Almost definite for pen taker, totally depends if he looks like keeping the LB slot

math!
Dumbledore
FS Record: Yes

Post by math! »

Milner and Alonso would be two guarantees for my team but it is depending on how much competition they face. Robertson seems like a backup/rotation for heavy periods in the schedule.

jabbamunter
Wideboy

Post by jabbamunter »

Droughton wrote:If he was classed as a defender last season he would have scored 7 more points for his goals and 36 more points for clean sheets = 43 more points

You need to knock some points off for goals conceded but yes he looks a good pick.

Hotstepper
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Reasonable

Post by Hotstepper »

Robertson a better player than getting credit for, been on the radar of Liverpool and Arsenal a while. Maybe others. I suspect he'll start at least a third of games, maybe significantly more. How that affects Milner's prospects in midfield I don't know, but all in I won't be surprised if his game time is reduced. I'd be OK carrying that risk if listed as a relatively cheap mid, but not as a very expensive defender

ZeroRemorse
Grumpy Old Man

Post by ZeroRemorse »

Robertson's arrival means certain rotation. He's a definite no for me now. I wouldn't get him if he was even 1.0m cheaper.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

ZeroRemorse wrote:Robertson's arrival means certain rotation. He's a definite no for me now. I wouldn't get him if he was even 1.0m cheaper.
Say what?

You wouldn't take a Liverpool defender with penalties and some free kicks and corners even if he was 5.5m? That's bold!

I think he will play a vast majority of matches while Roberson gets just odd games, no?

ZeroRemorse
Grumpy Old Man

Post by ZeroRemorse »

Finisher1 wrote: 31 Jul 2017, 13:28
ZeroRemorse wrote:Robertson's arrival means certain rotation. He's a definite no for me now. I wouldn't get him if he was even 1.0m cheaper.
Say what?

You wouldn't take a Liverpool defender with penalties and some free kicks and corners even if he was 5.5m? That's bold!

I think he will play a vast majority of matches while Roberson gets just odd games, no?
Probably rotated frequntly and subbed frequently. Particular if he has featured mid week. Way too many question marks for his price.

Skrtel
Treebeard

Post by Skrtel »

Last season he had 7 goals and 12 cs. A cs for a defender is equal to a goal from a striker, which means you can compare him to a 6.5 striker that scores 19 goals :lol:

Latic
FISO Knight
FS Record: Minor past glories. Back for 2021!

Post by Latic »

Lallana's absence for 2 months increases his appeal? Is he more likely to deployed in MF once Robertson has bedded in?

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Latic wrote: 05 Aug 2017, 11:05 Lallana's absence for 2 months increases his appeal? Is he more likely to deployed in MF once Robertson has bedded in?
Think Clyne's (short term?) absence is maybe more relevant initially as Klopp will want Milner's experience on the other side. After that it depends on injuries, squad depth and luck. Surely Robertson is destined to be first choice at some stage this season but not sure when.....

PS Feel free to ignore me if Robertson starts the last friendly later today!!

Latic
FISO Knight
FS Record: Minor past glories. Back for 2021!

Post by Latic »

Who knows? A Liverpool mid categorised as a defender would be a bargain.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

Moreno starts the last friendly, with Milner in midfield.

LamebrainEddy
Red & Blue Braces

Post by LamebrainEddy »

Firmino just took the pen with milner on the pitch...

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Firmino took a penalty and scored even though Milner was on the field!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What should we make out of this? What does it mean?

I thought Milner's penalty record was very convincing, almost perfect, right? But is he somehow out of favour now?

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Maybe Firmino is just being given practice because Milner soon will be dropped......

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”