To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Star Man Tactics

A Fantasy Football forum for news and comment on Virgin Media Fantasy Football
admin
FISO Administrator
FS Record: Won TFFO, 2nd/3rd TFF, Won BFF, Won FLGolf

Star Man Tactics

Post by admin »

Copy of my 4th blog for Virgin Media Fantasy Football which appears at http://www.football.virginmedia.com/pag ... 83,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Continuing my analysis of game tactics, today I will look at Star Man tactics. Your star man during each gameweek scores double points so it's very satisfying to get this decision right. The first major fantasy football game I won, back in 1999/00, required you to select a star man for each set of fixtures and it was enormously satisfying to choose correctly, particularly near the end of that competition .

The first thing to consider is whether we should be looking to star a goalkeeper, defender, midfielder or forward.

Normally, you wouldn't think about starring your goalkeeper but if I can remind you of what I said in my second blog at the end of July:

'With 5 points for a clean sheet and 3 points for a 'team win' on offer, a home win with a clean sheet, and say a couple of saves thrown in as well, should result in a hefty 12 points for the Goalkeeper. If we compare this to a midfielder or forward, the midfielder would need to score 2 goals in the match whilst the forward would have to have 4 assists as well as 2 goals in order to match the 12 point haul (although both would have more chance of video bonus points). If a defender had a clean sheet plus a goal then he would just beat the goalkeeper with a score of 14 points. There's clearly some juicy points on offer if you get the goalkeeper selection(s) right!'

So, has this been born out by the points scored in the first two game weeks? Let's look at the top points scorers in each position for each game week:

Goalkeepers:

Week 1 – top score 18 points and 8 on 10 points or above.
Week 2 – top score 21 points and 4 on 10 points or above.

Defenders:

Week 1 – top score 15 points and 2 on 10 points or more (both defenders that scored goals with a clean sheet)
Week 2 – top score 14 points and just that 1 on 10 points or more (Glen Johnson)

Midfielders:

Week 1 – top score 15 points (Fabregas with his 2 goals) and just 2 on 10 points or above
Week 2 – top scorer 7 points.

Forwards:

Week 1 – top scorer 8 points (Drogba)
Week 2 – top scorer 16 points (Defoe – hat-trick). Next best score was 6 points.

Goalkeepers must be the star man choice, Shirley?

Let's have a closer look at the Goalkeeper points scored in the first 2 gameweeks.

Well the top scorer at the weekend was Given with 18 points. He had 7 saves and a 'top 5' save to make 8 extra points to add to the 10 points for a clean sheet with a win. Green scored 17 points, Fulop 15 and Foster 14 (but only 3 points in last night's defeat at Burnley). Looking at the mid-week clean sheets; Reina scored 13 points, Hart 14 points (who also scored 11 points at the weekend thanks to 10 saves), Hennessey 16 points but Jensen top scored with 21 points thanks to his penalty save at home to Man United. So on average a clean sheet with a win is producing around 15 points for a goalkeeper – a midfielder needs 2 goals and a forward a hat-trick to match this!

When the game starts for real in game week 4, I will be playing a goalkeeper at home who has a good chance of keeping a clean sheet and starring that player. I'll also be hoping the high 'away win' statistic is not a sign of things to come!

DudeyDan
Kevin and Perry

Re: Star Man Tactics

Post by DudeyDan »

It's crazy how many points the 'Keepers get. When you say you'll be starring your keeper, you mean putting them as Captain, right? Or is there something else I'm missing?

admin
FISO Administrator
FS Record: Won TFFO, 2nd/3rd TFF, Won BFF, Won FLGolf

Re: Star Man Tactics

Post by admin »

DudeyDan wrote:It's crazy how many points the 'Keepers get. When you say you'll be starring your keeper, you mean putting them as Captain, right? Or is there something else I'm missing?
It is and I do (in the habit of saying 'starman' from my days of playing TFFO).

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Virgin Media Fantasy Football”