To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

New GIYH

A forum for discussion on Fantasy Stakes
Stakesy
Treebeard

New GIYH

Post by Stakesy »

Hi folks,

As mentioned another thread, Christmas can be a bit of an up and down time with many other things interfering with our weekly fantasy football fix. :lol:

We're therefore going to try out a new version of GIYH for a few weeks: Fantasy Stakes will now give a Grand away for anyone who can beat the previous highest score of 126 points. In other words, £1,000 in the pocket of a manager who can prove themselves the best ever! 8-)

We've been running the same GIYH promotion for almost a year now and we want to try something different, test the market. The plain fact is that it is the same prize but a much higher score to achieve it, therefore making it much harder to win. I'll stress that people ought to be aware of this and if it's not the bet for you then save your 50p and invest elsewhere!

We decided to keep the prize the same because if you change two variables it can make it hard to work out which variable had which effect. Another fact is that when GIYH went previously it was shared by 7 and then 10 people, winning only £143 or £100. With this new version though, the whole prize will go to just one person (unless there's a tie).

As I said before, if it's not the bet for you, save your 50p! We'll review the promotion after the Christmas period, and as always any FISO feedback is welcomed.

Cheers,

Stakesy

Synyster
FISO Knight
FS Record: Won a few prizes here and there..

Re: New GIYH

Post by Synyster »

Who's 126 was that? My top score of something around that took a miracle week. I won't be wasting any 50ps, I believe this is very very unlikely. You need Lampard, Gerrard, Fabregas all to play and score around 2 goals each to be your base line to hit 126+, on this seasons form I can't see it happening. Once my last few pounds are out I might call it an early season. :cry:

:(

Scrappy
Kevin and Perry

Post by Scrappy »

tcf wrote:Who's 126 was that? My top score of something around that took a miracle week. I won't be wasting any 50ps, I believe this is very very unlikely. You need Lampard, Gerrard, Fabregas all to play and score around 2 goals each to be your base line to hit 126+, on this seasons form I can't see it happening. Once my last few pounds are out I might call it an early season. :cry:

:(
Have to agree, have paid my 50p each week so far for GIYH, but feel I have no chance of beating 126 points :( 100pts seemed a challenge for me!

mad dog
Dumbledog
FS Record: Sky Winner 16/17

Post by mad dog »

at least I can keep my 50p now. I always had a bit of hope of getting a hundred ( never did ) but 126 is a bit too much.

TCF - Don't give it up mate its an excellent game

bennyc
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Weekend Dreamteam Winner/WC Fantasy Stakes winner.

Post by bennyc »

Not a good idea in my view. I was entering seven or eight teams a week in a 20 person league with the sole purpose of targeting the GIYH and trying to make a few quid on the league prizes. Not going to bother now because 126 is a freak target. I appreciate times are hard Stakesy but surely creating a decent, attainable prize is the only way forward for this game in the long run.

Your game is much better the weekend dreamteam but I'll be having a few quid on that game instead over xmas because I'd rather have a crack at 10k/20k.

Any news on the punter funded JL I proposed?

Jonathan
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: ^ That's my dad! ^ KGC Captain's Drive-in 2015 Champ
FS Record: OFL Champions League Sprint finalist 10/11

Post by Jonathan »

hmmm. I was always teetering on entering GIYH each week anyway, because I have never got over 100pts, so I certainly won't be entering now.

I can appreciate how annoying it would be to reach 100pts and find a dozen or so others have achieved the same, diluting the prizes won, but it now seems a virtually impossible task, and maybe seems as though you are just hoping to nab a few unsuspecting people to cough up their 50p, in the knowledge you are highly unlikely to have to pay out £1000.

IMHO rather than make it seem so unachievable, you may as well knock GIYH on the head altogether. I was expecting that to happen at some point anyway.

Jonathan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Jonathan »

Maybe you could use a tie break ruling to award the whole £1000 to the highest point scorer over 100pts, anyway. In the event of a tie, use several rulings. Most goals, or most assists, even down to the least number of bookings or cheapest squad. Anything so that just one person gets the grand.

It does seems that when 100pts is broken, it involves the popular picks anyway, so multi-peeps get the grand.

I still say knock GIYH on the head, and introduce an optional weekly 50p entry fee (or more), which means that whatever score that particular team gets that week, it is entered into an overall jackpot league. Set it up so that any participant can only have one team in that jackpot league till season end, and if one of their teams in subsequent weeks (for which they have paid the fee), outscores one of their existing entries, that team is replaced by the new higher scoring team.

Top 10 scoring teams shares the pot come season end. :?:

Stakesy
Treebeard

Post by Stakesy »

bennyc wrote:Not a good idea in my view. I was entering seven or eight teams a week in a 20 person league with the sole purpose of targeting the GIYH and trying to make a few quid on the league prizes. Not going to bother now because 126 is a freak target. I appreciate times are hard Stakesy but surely creating a decent, attainable prize is the only way forward for this game in the long run.

Your game is much better the weekend dreamteam but I'll be having a few quid on that game instead over xmas because I'd rather have a crack at 10k/20k.

Any news on the punter funded JL I proposed?
Hi benny,

Also as mentioned in the other thread, any new promotions, e.g. Jackpot League wouldn't happen till after Christmas anyway. We still like your idea though! :D

For Jonathan and others, we know how difficult it is to get 126 and if we get no entries that's fine. However, some have said they would rather go for a single prize than split the grand so we're giving it a go. Maybe those people represent the views of many and maybe they don't! Either way, testing a new approach for a couple of weeks can give us some valuable info for the future.

We chose to do this rather than just remove GIYH for the reason above, just to test suggestions we had received. Giving ye olde GIYH a break is fine too and I'm sure we'll see it return in some format or other in the new year.

Talking of market research, can I beg a few opinions....? Another comment we often hear is that the budget is too high or the players are too cheap (same thing in effect). The suggestion is that managers are able to pick who they want without worrying too much about budget and these people feel that a reduced budget might provide a greater variety of teams. What do you think O FISO Masters?! :?:

Thanks,

Stakesy

Jonathan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Jonathan »

Budget to me is spot on. I may be wrong but I don't think you get the same people winning big, week in, week out, so it can't be that easy to pick a winning combo!

bloggie
Dumbledore
Location: Tourists swarm to see your face Confucius has a puzzling grace Disoriented you enter in unleashing

Post by bloggie »

A trial of a lower budget could reveal if it's a good idea.That's if there's a consensus for such a trial.

Scrappy
Kevin and Perry

Post by Scrappy »

Personally I find the budget very easy to pick a full squad of decent players. I can pretty much pick the squad I want first time, maybe it's a good thing though as it allows for a more diverse squad selection and it's not like the big money players perform week in week out. As I said in a previous post, I think the fees need to be scrapped (which you obviously want to do but don't have enough players depositing money for that). To put it into perspective, the £3.70 you pay (debit card charge/league fee/GIYH), for 30p more you could have 6 teams in WDT if their 3 for 2 is running and in with a chance of 10k/20k.

I agree with another poster elsewhere in which the mirror should run a promotion for you like WDT where you get free credits at the beginning of the season for FS as that was the only reason why I actually started playing WDT!

I'm quite surprised there aren't more people playing regardless though as I am hooked since I first played a few weeks back (only knew of fantasy stakes when a member of fiso mentioned it in the suns DT forum) and even got my mate involved in it now :) Good luck though :)

Jonathan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Jonathan »

Scrappy wrote:Personally I find the budget very easy to pick a full squad of decent players. I can pretty much pick the squad I want first time, maybe it's a good thing though as it allows for a more diverse squad selection and it's not like the big money players perform week in week out. As I said in a previous post, I think the fees need to be scrapped (which you obviously want to do but don't have enough players depositing money for that). To put it into perspective, the £3.70 you pay (debit card charge/league fee/GIYH), for 30p more you could have 6 teams in WDT if their 3 for 2 is running and in with a chance of 10k/20k.

I agree with another poster elsewhere in which the mirror should run a promotion for you like WDT where you get free credits at the beginning of the season for FS as that was the only reason why I actually started playing WDT!

I'm quite surprised there aren't more people playing regardless though as I am hooked since I first played a few weeks back (only knew of fantasy stakes when a member of fiso mentioned it in the suns DT forum) and even got my mate involved in it now :) Good luck though :)
You just have to accept that to avoid too many fees, you need to deposit a larger amount. And only withdraw when you have loads, cus there is a withdrawal fee, too! :wink:

Scrappy
Kevin and Perry

Post by Scrappy »

Jonathan wrote:
Scrappy wrote:Personally I find the budget very easy to pick a full squad of decent players. I can pretty much pick the squad I want first time, maybe it's a good thing though as it allows for a more diverse squad selection and it's not like the big money players perform week in week out. As I said in a previous post, I think the fees need to be scrapped (which you obviously want to do but don't have enough players depositing money for that). To put it into perspective, the £3.70 you pay (debit card charge/league fee/GIYH), for 30p more you could have 6 teams in WDT if their 3 for 2 is running and in with a chance of 10k/20k.

You just have to accept that to avoid too many fees, you need to deposit a larger amount. And only withdraw when you have loads, cus there is a withdrawal fee, too! :wink:
Yeah I always deposit more as I play each week anyway (and don't need to worry about withdrawal fees yet! :lol: :( :() but for trying to introduce someone who has never heard of/played FS to have a '£2' flutter which costs almost double that, they aren't going to want to deposit a large amount to make the most out of it!

Chrisharry12345
Dumbledore

Post by Chrisharry12345 »

Its a shame now that both the advertised 'big money' prizes are pretty much unwinnable :( definatly saving my pennies from now on.

Stakesy wrote: Talking of market research, can I beg a few opinions....? Another comment we often hear is that the budget is too high or the players are too cheap (same thing in effect). The suggestion is that managers are able to pick who they want without worrying too much about budget and these people feel that a reduced budget might provide a greater variety of teams. What do you think O FISO Masters?! :?:

Thanks,

Stakesy

I think the budget is fine.. struggle to get in a 'full strength' team if doing with defenders from a top 4 team, so to squeeze them in you have to take a risk with a cheap defenders.. so spot on really

chrispyb
Grumpy Old Man

Post by chrispyb »

Dissapointed by this :( and I expect that there won't be too many takers for the New GITH promotion. In terms of budget, it may be better to mark up some of the 'big guns' to make it difficult to fill the core of your team with Torres, Gerrard, Lamps e.t.c.

Zarch
Grumpy Old Stats Geek
FS Record: Sun World Cup 2010 Mini-League Winner. Fantasy Stakes Prem Winner 08/09, World Cup 2010 Winner

Post by Zarch »

I was reluctant each week to spend the 50p anyway, but this has certainly made my mind up.

Without sounding big-headed or anything, it wouldn't surprise me if I've put more entries into this game maybe than any other player since its inception, chasing the jackpot last season and trying a few things out this season and I've never hit more than 98pts. (just looked back and I've entered nearly 650 teams since Round 9 last season!)

The odds of hitting 100pts were very high, hitting 126pts is up there with the £100,000 perfect team thing.... nigh on impossible and not worth 10p a shot, let alone 50p.

I love this game, but all the recent changes don't appear to helping at all, if anything they are hindering its growth. Whilst headline grabbers may get the punters in, it won't take 2 minutes for newbies to figure out that 126pts and the 100k thing are unobtainable.

At least the 100pts was just about achievable and a share of £1,000 wasn't bad for 50p.

Is there a serious credit crunch at Fantasy Stakes HQ?

PS. i think budget is just about spot on...... you can't fill the side with 11 top 4 players and you have to search out the odd bargain imho.

And too many changes can be a bad thing..... you need a consistent set of rules and features otherwise people will get wazzed off with it changing all the time.
Last edited by Zarch on 18 Dec 2009, 14:00, edited 1 time in total.

Flyman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO FPL Knockout Cup Winner 08; 5th Overall Sky Sports Euro 12

Post by Flyman »

Hi, Stakesy, Hi, fellow FS punters.

Stakesy, I think what we are reading here is verbal gold to your business.

What you are offering in the way of 'special offers' is not what these people want because they view the prizes as unattainable - and therefore it is slightly insulting to them to be invited to risk wasting their money on a seemingly unwinable gamble.

These prizes do seem geared purely to line FS's coffers and, when you are appealing directly to a calculating gambler's market that is a far from shrewd move and one unlikely to garner support from your regular fan base.

Conversely, I think you'd do better looking to smaller rewards for new record breakers, like, say, a free £10 stake for anyone with a player getting a hatrick (for a 50p remittance, maybe, if you must), or new 'highest-ever scoring players in their class' than offering unlikely-to-be-obtained jackpots.

Little treats that reward the long-term player may bring more loyalty and, in turn, revenue than ridiculous, unobtainable lump sums.
I wish you luck and hope to play again next season.

Merry Christmas to all,
J.

chrismar
Grumpy Old Mar
FS Record: 05/06 Dream Team Winner, 2004 Dreamracers Retirements League Winner, 2003 fantasyf1.co.uk race winner

Post by chrismar »

I won't be paying 50p to try and get more than 126 points. 100 points was like a target which only the best rarely achieved and was actually something to aim for, but now the target is set too high then i have no motivation to aim for it (a bit like employee reward bonus setting) so won't bother.

The budgets are fine as they are for me. If you make them too tight, then it will take longer to enter teams and as much as i love the game i don't want to be spending all week trying to get a decent team in budget unlike perhaps with a seasonal competition.

Chrisharry12345
Dumbledore

Post by Chrisharry12345 »

Gotta agree with Zarch and Flyman that the new promotions arnt helping.. Its putting me off entering teams rather than encouraging. I think id be more happy if there were no promotions than ones i know i cant win

chrismar
Grumpy Old Mar
FS Record: 05/06 Dream Team Winner, 2004 Dreamracers Retirements League Winner, 2003 fantasyf1.co.uk race winner

Post by chrismar »

Got to say sharing between about 50 would have been a bit of a let down but now that one person beat 126, does this mean the target will rise to 135 making it even less likely people will pay 50p to enter?

Stakesy
Treebeard

Post by Stakesy »

An amazing round! :shock:

Yes, Chris, sharing GIYH between the 59 people who got over 100 in the old system would not have led to a great return! We're just talking about what happens to GIYH, will hopefully have an answer to post here tomorrow.

Stakesy

P.S. One person who paid the 50p entry fee scored.... 120. Just 7 more points for a 4-figure score. :cry:

Stakesy
Treebeard

Post by Stakesy »

Decision made.... despite someone scoring 134 points, the score to beat in order to win The Grand remains at the old level of 126 points.

We all know it's very unlikely that any particular team will score over 126, but if things fall right it can be done! And it is only 50p after all! :wink: :D

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy Stakes”