£100,000 Team of the Week

A forum for discussion on Fantasy Stakes
Dumbledore

Re: £100,000 Team of the Week

Post by 12345678 »

dingram041 wrote:
Stakesy wrote:
DrBunker wrote:
-DC- wrote:I think it can be done. Just need a very lucky weekend.
Very, very lucky. A quick question for Stakesy: in the entire history of this game has such a team ever been picked?

p.s. don't tell me you don't know as I'm 100% certain the insurers would have asked you the same question ;)
LOVL :lol: :lol: :lol:

The insurers did ask us a similar question but it was only over this season. Someone got 8 right this season, I haven't checked back over all of last season but I doubt that's been beaten.

One thing to remember is that last season we usually had only about 200-300 teams entering until the Jackpot Leaguers went haywire at the end. That's up to 600-700 so far this season. If the promotion helps the numbers grow and we get lots more teams then the increased combinations could mean someone gets much closer than ever before or possibly even hits it.

DC - yep, once it's won it's won!

Jonathan - thanks for your comments. Although the odds are impossible to calculate accurately, and most weekends could well be over 50,000/1, it is a huge prize and maybe all the hours we invest studying who takes left-sided corners for Burnley on a Monday night may pay off.... :lol:
Stakesy
Try well over 1,000,000 to 1 :wink: that's with football knowledge :lol:
dazza you are too kind :wink:

either that or you ran out of noughts on your 1970's vintage calculator (its like a modern version of an abacus striker)

or most probably both :lol:

andy

ps stakesy i hope the insurers didnt sting you for more than a tenner (unfortunately plus costs of course :( )

dingram041
Dumbledore
FS Record: I've won a lot but proud to have been 7 balled my friend Milan Gajic. RIP xx

Post by dingram041 »

awwww god....I loved my vintage 1970 calculator.....do you remember them Andy....the old big clumbersome one...black of course...only the best colour with the buttons as big as as 50p pieces...but obviously square....and then the early 1980 ones with the games on it....thought at the time, how the hell did they get a game on it. Just loved it......

Forget the topic...let's go calc crazy and remember the good ol' days, everyone's talking about the good ol' day...when winters were warmer, they sky was bluer, the grass was greener....and..........christ lost myself....was getting right in to Gladys Knight there....well not literally :wink:

Although....would give it a shot :D

Dumbledore

Post by 12345678 »

a relief for gladys knight there on the fiso forum then :lol:

having thought about it i think this is actually more difficult than the tff best starting team bonus becoz more players can make it into the team on a one off basis than a seasonal one and £10 insurance would seem a bit steep to me :wink:

what i would suggest is that stakesy posts the 'winning teams' the last few weeks and you can then get some idea of 'how easy it is'

andy

ps jonathan i would be delighted if another £100k was available in ff as prizemoney but i think the point the likes of andye and i are making is that much like the tff starting prize that was promoted as 'available prizemoney' my instinct is on an a priori basis this is worth about a tenner (at most) and i don't know about andye but to me that reeks of deception. i have no problem with it being difficult say a 1 in 10 chance over the course of a season but i think this will be over a million to one which to me is not really obtainable or even worth mentioning (this is more fun than the lottery but are your chances actually as good???).

DrBunker
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISODAS season 21 Premiership champion

Post by DrBunker »

12345678 wrote:ps jonathan i would be delighted if another £100k was available in ff as prizemoney but i think the point the likes of andye and i are making is that much like the tff starting prize that was promoted as 'available prizemoney' my instinct is on an a priori basis this is worth about a tenner (at most) and i don't know about andye but to me that reeks of deception.
Precisely. I completely understand why the comp from last season has been scrapped as it made a huge loss but this new option doesn't add anything to the game. With odds as long as they are we have to assume no-one will win therefore there's no added attraction (or there wouldn't be for me). A small version of last years season long comp would make much more sense (even if the prize was just the £10 you'd save on the insurance for this one ;))

dingram041
Dumbledore
FS Record: I've won a lot but proud to have been 7 balled my friend Milan Gajic. RIP xx

Post by dingram041 »

12345678 wrote:a relief for gladys knight there on the fiso forum then :lol:

having thought about it i think this is actually more difficult than the tff best starting team bonus becoz more players can make it into the team on a one off basis than a seasonal one and £10 insurance would seem a bit steep to me :wink:

what i would suggest is that stakesy posts the 'winning teams' the last few weeks and you can then get some idea of 'how easy it is'

andy

ps jonathan i would be delighted if another £100k was available in ff as prizemoney but i think the point the likes of andye and i are making is that much like the tff starting prize that was promoted as 'available prizemoney' my instinct is on an a priori basis this is worth about a tenner (at most) and i don't know about andye but to me that reeks of deception. i have no problem with it being difficult say a 1 in 10 chance over the course of a season but i think this will be over a million to one which to me is not really obtainable or even worth mentioning (this is more fun than the lottery but are your chances actually as good???).
I started the other thread because I feel the same....but didn't have the heart to use the word deception Andy :wink:
We all know, it's a publicity stunt to pull in more punters....in a way, I hope it works...because at least then, there may be a game that we can all compete in...the problem is....that for the seasoned pros....who knows the odds against :lol: you won't attract them yet....but if there was a prize worth hitting....i.e. 20k for a highest scoring week throughout the season....or a season prize i.e. Jackpot League...then you will stand a chance to pull in the guys that will stick between them thousands at it.....but as for now...won't play it unless I stick a fiver as said on the other thread for a bit of fun....but won't play it seriously...like I would do if something good was on offer.

With the 2 Andy's on here now....it seems that Fantasy Stakes is getting more coverage....and obviously would like attention from some of the guys that would stick quite a bit on this.....but the problem being is that you picked the wrong season (except for Zarch :lol: ) to play the Jackpot League....because if this was still in operation, you'd get from the publicity stunt, your punter with not much mathematical knowledge interested.....and you've also get the guys who'd stick quite a bit at it interested too......the time is right to do something Staksey...take the bull by the horns...and ask The Mirror to supplement...because I believe this could be your year to get this game seriously off the ground.....

It's a great game.....and seeing who's interested, word would get around....but only if, even for next season (perfect time).....you have both....one stunt with no chance....and a prize fund....if only one of 20k....that would get loads of us interested..

I know it's a good game....so would love to play this game bigger.........but won't get serious money pumped at this type of game at what is being offered......

Make me a partner....and I'll put up half the prize money myself....I believe in it :lol: :wink:

Dumbledore

Post by 12345678 »

i know what you mean daz. i hope it works too. i can see the prob, no big prizes no mass entry. i think the tff game has more of a fan base and clever.tv if still running that may have done better with it there.

however i do think that flagging up a £100k prize as a possibility when there is no realistic chance to take advantage of a fault in human beings thought processes (google wason, johnson-laird selection task) where they look for affirmation rather than negation is pretty much tantamount to deception and i am happy using that word.

some people bizarrely at the time thought the tff starting XI thing was obtainable and it took mathematical proof to make them aware that was not the case.

i think 8 out of 11 makes people think, 'ok so someone could pick 8 so i only need another 3! no probs i might hit the other 3!' what they forget is no they didnt pick the first 8 correct and then need 3 more to get the perfect team, most would have gone out if the results were given in a random order by the 4th pick!!!

i do feel that criticism is justified for the above reasons and having done it not once but twice now the criticism is even more justified as it is clearly done very much 'with eyes wide open'.

i think that if you try to deceive people you run the risk of ending up like 'the boy who cried wolf' as your credibility diminishes.

maybe as you suggest daz a guaranteed prize with a sponsor (if you can ever find one these days) that is say £20k but actually exists would be the way forward.

andy

Jonathan
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: ^ That's my dad! ^ KGC Captain's Drive-in 2015 Champ
FS Record: OFL Champions League Sprint finalist 10/11

Post by Jonathan »

I may have missed this previously, but I see that The Mirror are promoting the game now as footballstakes co uk, with no mention or Fantasy Stakes or even Stakesy. Visiting that site does however, take you to mirror fantasystakes, with good old Stakesy on the page, so maybe The Mirror had much more of a say in this than it first appeared?

mad dog
Dumbledog
FS Record: Sky Winner 16/17

Post by mad dog »

I saw this football stakes business - whats all that about?

Chrisharry12345
Dumbledore

Post by Chrisharry12345 »

http://mirror.fantasystakes.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

obviously the new name!

mad dog
Dumbledog
FS Record: Sky Winner 16/17

Post by mad dog »

Just to let you boys know - i've entered my two teams and hope to be 100K richer after this weekend. Surely a 5-3-2 is the way to go?

bennyc
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Weekend Dreamteam Winner/WC Fantasy Stakes winner.

Post by bennyc »

-DC- wrote:Just to let you boys know - i've entered my two teams and hope to be 100K richer after this weekend. Surely a 5-3-2 is the way to go?

That's what I had thought but if you look at the archive team of the week thread it seems 3-4-3 is a better way of going about it. Easier to
pick two teams keeping a clean sheet than four goalscoring midfielders though which highlights how difficult the task is.

Dumbledore

Post by 12345678 »

two teams keeping a clean sheet will do you no good :lol:

you need to pick the freak one off goalscoring defenders surely :?

if you can do this then surely doing the tff starting line up should have been a doddle :wink:

i'm disappointed that the ASA allow this sort of thing and that people dangle the impossible.

if you want to do it for fun then great and enjoy it, but don't harbour any illusions that £100k is up for grabs in anything but alice in wonderland.

how many people would have got stanislas last week (nil maybe?) let alone the 10 to go with him!!!

andy

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy Stakes”