To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Leylandia tree roots

A forum for general discussion on Gardening issues and topics
Doogal
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: The big two!! VAMPIRE OF THE WEEK SEASON AWARD 2013-14 and FINAL TABLE PREDICTION COMP 2015-16.

Leylandia tree roots

Post by Doogal »

On a whim, just sawed down and removed a huge out-of control leylandia hedge (was about ten feet high) Unfortunately, there remains a row of stumps at ground level (varying from maybe six inches across to some over a foot wide). Someone just told me they won't die 'for years' and that I should have removed them when slicing down the hedge - very difficult to lever out now. :( Any ideas? Is there something you can kill the roots with that doesn't kill the nice shrubs I'm going to plant as well? Or should I just ignore the stumps and plant shrubs in between them. Any help gratefully received - I am a complete newbie with gardening.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: Leylandia tree roots

Post by blahblah »

You may be able to get something which you can paint on the top, and it will work its way down killing them.

The best idea is to cut them higher up, and put a bird table on the top :wink:

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

I chopped a couple down a few years back. Just worked round the stumps. Shrubs spread.

Doogal
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: The big two!! VAMPIRE OF THE WEEK SEASON AWARD 2013-14 and FINAL TABLE PREDICTION COMP 2015-16.

Post by Doogal »

Thanks for the advice, both. I think I prefer the murf natural approach rather than some killer chemical.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Gardening”