To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Chillis

A forum for general discussion on Gardening issues and topics
Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Re: Chillis

Post by Surprised »

gazwood wrote:Certainly is a scotch bonnet! Love them in my curries. Always better with the seeds left in too! :smile:

I was getting fed up with the crap chilli peppers the supermarket sold as they have little heat or flavour so I popped down to a Surinaamse shop today and got fresh chillis and some dried chillis. I might use coconut milk or something first time I cook with these though!

gazwood
Dumbledore

Post by gazwood »

They are pretty hot, but if you like you're food like that then you'll love the scotch bonnet. Although I try and only have 1 cut off per mouthful :lol:

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

gazwood wrote:They are pretty hot, but if you like you're food like that then you'll love the scotch bonnet. Although I try and only have 1 cut off per mouthful :lol:

One cut off?

gazwood
Dumbledore

Post by gazwood »

As in the whole chilli gets cut up and added to the dish. Then when being consumed I try to limit each mouthful of that dish to only containing 1 piece of cut up chilli. Does that make sense? :? :lol:

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

gazwood wrote:As in the whole chilli gets cut up and added to the dish. Then when being consumed I try to limit each mouthful of that dish to only containing 1 piece of cut up chilli. Does that make sense? :? :lol:

yes it does now.
I presume they are finely chopped?

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Danny Zuko wrote:I got chillis. They're multiplying.
Indeed.

bloggie
Dumbledore
Location: Tourists swarm to see your face Confucius has a puzzling grace Disoriented you enter in unleashing

Post by bloggie »

I got 3 chili plants at about a pound each as they were reduced.

jeffmcgow
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL - FISO Mirror League 1st 2015-16 | Sun - Cheap as Chips Conference 1st 2014-15 & 2015-16

Post by jeffmcgow »

Surprised wrote:
jeffmcgow wrote:It looks like the scotch bonnets I'm growing although mine are still green.

They are quite hot I hear
Hot indeed! We have a bottle of West Indian hot pepper sauce in the cupboard and the good old scotch bonnet is there on the ingredients label.

gazwood
Dumbledore

Post by gazwood »

Surprised wrote:
gazwood wrote:As in the whole chilli gets cut up and added to the dish. Then when being consumed I try to limit each mouthful of that dish to only containing 1 piece of cut up chilli. Does that make sense? :? :lol:

yes it does now.
I presume they are finely chopped?
Personally I don't finely chop them, I have them slightly smaller than the size of a finger nail

kizkiz
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISO autumn 2009 poker world champ and 8 game champ

Post by kizkiz »

bunch of wusses :lol:
Scotch bonnets aren't hot!
now, I have my first ripe Butch-T .....that's hot!

Scoville scale:
Scotch bonnet typically 150-325k
Butch-T - 1.4 million :shock:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinidad_S ... h_T_pepper" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

One chopped Scotch bonnet and one chopped madame Jeanette and I couldn't sense even the tiniest hint of heat.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

Lots left so chucked in 2 more Scotch Bonnets and it turned a zero heat chilli into one with a mild heat. Might put another one in to make 5 in total. That said a friend who tried some was sweating and said it was very hot.

rossn13
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 12th TFFE 09/10

Post by rossn13 »

A typical evening at kizkiz's.

kizkiz
Dumbledore

Post by kizkiz »

Lol ross

This is my typical chilli
5 jalapenos and 5/6 super hots various, depending what I grab hold of.
Bearing in mind that's 2kg of meat in there, and it's a pretty decent heat
chilli small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

Similar sized pot that I use so maybe the two chillis was never going to be enough

kizkiz
Dumbledore

Post by kizkiz »

Surprised wrote:Similar sized pot that I use so maybe the two chillis was never going to be enough
Nowhere near enough
this is the recipe I use. It gets a good most of the day simmer before eating

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/wazzu-tail ... etail.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

kizkiz wrote:
Surprised wrote:Similar sized pot that I use so maybe the two chillis was never going to be enough
Nowhere near enough
this is the recipe I use. It gets a good most of the day simmer before eating

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/wazzu-tail ... etail.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I added more chillis so in the end had 1 Madame Jeannette and 4 Scotch Bonnets. It was hot but only moderately so

kizkiz
Dumbledore

Post by kizkiz »

That would be because you are using pretty mild chillis
Try something a bit stronger and you'll taste the difference....or add far more bonnets :lol:

jeffmcgow
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL - FISO Mirror League 1st 2015-16 | Sun - Cheap as Chips Conference 1st 2014-15 & 2015-16

Post by jeffmcgow »

Like a lot a people I have had a really good crop of chillis. This is only my second season and, as last year was a disaster, this is my first where I've had the problem of how to store the glut.

Now I know that drying is a common method but I thought I'd try my own: shredding them in a blender, sticking them in a big jar and covering with olive oil. It works for lime pickle so why not chillis?

I left it all for about a week and then gave it a try. Even though I'd grown hot varieties the chillis came out much less fiery than expected, but the oil.... How can I best describe it? Well remember the scene in Alien where they cut into the baby one and its blood cut through several levels of the ship? It's hotter than that :shock: And as time passes the oil is getting hotter.

Then I twigged where I'd gone wrong and that storage under oil isn't mentioned anywhere: capsaicin is soluble in fats/oils :oops: Hence why a lassi or glass of milk cools your mouth after a hot curry rather than a glass of beer.

Still, the shredded chillis are very enjoyable and I can always use the oil for destroying alien spaceships :)

kizkiz
Dumbledore

Post by kizkiz »

lmao :lol:
I just freeze mine whole. They are perfect straight from the freezer if cooking with them

ctibbits
Dumbledore
FS Record: Won "The Bet" 2014/15

Post by ctibbits »

I have pickled my excess in the past and put on sandwiches.

jeffmcgow
Dumbledore

Post by jeffmcgow »

Thank you kizkiz and ctibbits, those methods sound much more sensible. Can't believe the cycle starts again in a couple of months. I'm going to be more adventurous next season and hopefully this time next year I'll be visited by the Bhut Jolokia of Christmas Past, Christmas Present and Christmas Yet to Come.

Merry Christmas all and have a very productive chilli growing 2014.

PS @ctibbits when you say "put on sandwiches" you mean as an accompaniment, right? and not just a chilli butty :shock:

ctibbits
Dumbledore
FS Record: Won "The Bet" 2014/15

Post by ctibbits »

jeffmcgow wrote:Thank you kizkiz and ctibbits, those methods sound much more sensible. Can't believe the cycle starts again in a couple of months. I'm going to be more adventurous next season and hopefully this time next year I'll be visited by the Bhut Jolokia of Christmas Past, Christmas Present and Christmas Yet to Come.

Merry Christmas all and have a very productive chilli growing 2014.

PS @ctibbits when you say "put on sandwiches" you mean as an accompaniment, right? and not just a chilli butty :shock:
:lol: Yes of course! However I have found that peanut butter and pickled jalapeños is a great hangover cure!

Hogmeister
Dumbledore
FS Record: Top 300 in all-time FPL rankings

Post by Hogmeister »

Did pickled chillies last year - really good, will be doing the same again with my greenhouse-full of chillies very soon. :lol:

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Bought some hot sauces in Mexico a few weeks back. Unfortunately I'd forgotten that I only had hand luggage so had to leave them behind.

Just been reunited with them :D

Unfortunately the reunion is in the Netherlands and I've still only got hand luggage, so still can't get them home. At least they're getting closer though...

They'd better be good after all this. Habanero mainly (did buy some Cholula and Jalapeno at the airport to replace them, but they're fairly mild.)

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

The sauces have landed. Picked them up in Belgium this week.
Hot, but the habanero has a really nice taste to it

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Doing some this year. Not sure what they are though yet. They're from a mixed bunch of seeds. Six plants are doing well. Some starting to fruit. All I know is that I've eaten them before.

thebillfella
FISO Knight
FS Record: 6th FPL 19/20; 1st TFF StartXI 14/15; 8th TFFE11; 18th TFFE12; 1st FISO TFFE11&12; 1st FISO Full Draft 12/13,14/15,19/20,20/21; 1st Block14/15; 1st 5ASChampLge 12/13; 1st TFF Super614/15; 1st Spring17; 1st FISO Div Premx6, Cup, Mirror,Prem&H2H Champ 19/20

Post by thebillfella »

Third season for my Ring of Fire chilli plants - really easy to look after as I just sit them in the conservatory and give them the occasional drink but a plentiful harvest from just a few seeds.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Saw these easy grow pre-planted pod things in the shops a couple of months back so bought 2 * hot pepper and 2* sweet pepper.

You are supposed to weed out the smaller seedlings and just grow the best in each pod/pot but with a bit of transplanting I now have 11 plants. Pots must be about 4" (seedlings about same ht at mo). Will this be enough as they grow?

No idea if they will fruit but a harmless bit of fun experimentation. I'm not a veg grower normally but something different from my 100s of young flower plants in my shed.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Gardening”