FISO Jedi Knight

Re: The Ledge Does Veg.

Post by Groomyd »

Top Vedge Ledge!

Its dark, but tomorrow Groomy's front garden phot will be revealed! :shock:

Exciting huh? :D

Knulpuk
Dumbledore
FS Record: Ultra ultra consistent (see above)

Post by Knulpuk »

I shall update the allotment thread at the weekend - the 1.5 tons of manure is producing some pretty impressive produce.

The spuds look excellent no scab or blight.

Goes to show the difference is a few degrees longtitude (I bet I get that wrong) - our strawberries finished last week.

Jonathan
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: ^ That's my dad! ^ KGC Captain's Drive-in 2015 Champ
FS Record: OFL Champions League Sprint finalist 10/11

Post by Jonathan »

The Ledge wrote:The shed's also now built although there was a bit of bad news in that when I dismantled the old shed, taking away shelter from the pond, something scoffed my four fish.
30062010garden.JPG
Heron? I have always considered cats taking fish to be a bit of a myth to be honest.

I am envious of your plot, Ledge. I would love a garden to have room for my pond, shed, lawn, washing line and little allotment, but I just don't have it. Just room for a few sacks/tubs of spuds, a greenhouse and a pond. But I have to battle my way through a twirly washing line full of my wifes not-so-small smalls to get to anything. :roll:

The Ledge
Dumbledore
FS Record: 6th place TFF finish, MotW winner, Highest Climber and Div 15 champ.

Post by The Ledge »

Jonathan wrote:
The Ledge wrote:The shed's also now built although there was a bit of bad news in that when I dismantled the old shed, taking away shelter from the pond, something scoffed my four fish.
Heron? I have always considered cats taking fish to be a bit of a myth to be honest.
My guess is that it would be a heron, although I've never seen one around. When I buy fish next time around I'll also invest in a shotgun :twisted:

The Ledge
Dumbledore

Post by The Ledge »

Javahart wrote:Good work Ledge & like the progress! I started a blog on my Veg plot so I could look back next year and see what I did (and what I did wrong).

http://javahart.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You going to give us an update sometime soon Javahart?

Jonathan
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: ^ That's my dad! ^ KGC Captain's Drive-in 2015 Champ
FS Record: OFL Champions League Sprint finalist 10/11

Post by Jonathan »

The Ledge wrote:My guess is that it would be a heron, although I've never seen one around. When I buy fish next time around I'll also invest in a shotgun :twisted:
Cutting your nose off to spite your face. Shooting your fish so the heron can't have them. :wink: The heron is most likely burping up the smell of fish back at home long before you even get out of your lazy bed :wink:

Apparently heron's are waders, so anything around the edge to prevent that may help...?

The Ledge
Dumbledore

Post by The Ledge »

Everything's going OK in the garden so here's a quick update:-

Potatoes: the first earlies have all been eaten and last Sunday we picked some of the next crop for dinner although will leave in the ground for a bit longer so they can get a bit larger. They were wonderfully tasty though.

Leeks: planted these out a couple of nights ago (thanks for the advice knulpuk :D ). I could probably have left these to grow a bit larger in the greenhouse but got excited!

Parnips: I guess these will not be ready until October/November?

Sprouts: these are for Christmas but are showing signs of a crop forming.

Broccoli: we ate the first spears last Sunday for dinner. I also cut some more spears this evening as they are starting to bolt. Most of the main crop has now been taken but I gather that another crop should come later.

Strawberries: we've not had a large number of strawberries yet although what we have had has been very tasty. I'm thinking about laying straw to protect some of the berries from the soil as this has ruined some of them. Hopefully next season we'll have more luck?

Cucumbers: after picking my first cucumber a few weeks ago the rest of the crop is coming along strongly and it's now a case of letting the best ones grow a little more although I could pick some now. There are now plenty to keep us going for the coming weeks/months.

Spring Onions: I think these are still a month or so away from harvesting?

Radishes: these are now ready although we've decided that this was one of those crops we've grown but no-one likes so I got rid of the whole crop tonight.

Lettuce: we've been using this now for the last 4-6 weeks and have plenty.

Peppers & Chillis: these are now beginning to show a crop forming in the greenhouse. Can't wait to start picking these in the next month or so.

Tomotoes: like the peppers these are now forming impressive trusses and I'm looking forward to a good crop in the coming weeks.

Here's some of the stuff we picked on Sunday:-
18072010.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

shogun
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Unbeaten

Post by shogun »

How many of the vegetables will you leave in ground for next year? Or do you have to plant nbrand ew crop/seeds next year?

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Great stuff ledge
I think Strawberries get eaten by slugs so maybe the straw will stop them getting access.
Shop bought veg is just nowhere near as tasty as homegrown

The Ledge
Dumbledore

Post by The Ledge »

shogun wrote:How many of the vegetables will you leave in ground for next year? Or do you have to plant nbrand ew crop/seeds next year?
I don't have a clue :lol:

If someone could advise which crops can be kept it would be helpful?

barry
FISO Knight

Post by barry »

Surprised wrote: so maybe the straw will stop them getting access.
also reflects the sunlight - which all helps :D

shogun
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Unbeaten

Post by shogun »

barry wrote:
Surprised wrote: so maybe the straw will stop them getting access.
also reflects the sunlight - which all helps :D
:? Didn't think you we're that concerned with global warming.

The Ledge
Dumbledore

Post by The Ledge »

It's been six weeks since my last update and you've all been very patient so the least I can do is give you an update. To be honest I've been taking photos every weekend with a view to an update but never get round to it - lazy sod! I've been reaping the rewards lately and have gotten around to planting some stuff for the winter as well.

Here goes (pictures follow):-

Potatoes: the second earlies have almost been eaten now and I expect to picking the maincrop soon. I've just got some new tubers from Suttons which I'll be planting out this week.

Leeks: after watching Gardeners' World a few weeks ago (for the first time) I realised that I'd perhaps planted the leeks out a little immature and a bit late. They're getting on alright but I'm not expecting so much from them whenever they're harvested early next year.

Carrots: I sowed carrots about three weeks ago into the potato bed. There are signs of life.

Parnips: there aren't exactly loads but the foliage appears to be getting quite large. No idea when I should harvest but I'd expect another month or two?

Sprouts: the plants are growing and the sprouts forming. Problem has been the b@stard white cabbage butterfly which has eaten half the crop. The only pest I've encountered in my first season and no idea if it's actually harmed the crop or if the damage is just aesthetic?

Broccoli: the broccoli came and went with most of it flowering and getting chucked. I hope this is one of those learning curves as I didn't pick when the crop was ready and before I knew it yellow flowers appeared.

I have planted new broccoli plants as part of the winter planting and have three plants each of two varieties (one being the claret which will be different)

Cabbage: I've just planted 8 cabbage plants for the winter beside the broccoli.

Strawberries: disappointed with what we harvested this year. We did get a half a dozen bowls of strawberries and cream but I wasn't sure what I was doing and let the runners grow which I now gather I shouldn't. I want to cut back for next year but am not sure when or what to do?

Cucumbers: I've had a whopper crop from the two plants this year and the taste difference is amazing. I think one plant would suffice next year.

Spring Onions: I had these for the first time tonight in a salad - a very easy crop to grow.

Salad Leafs: I planted winter salad leaves our last weekend where the radishes once resided.

Radishes: I grew a good crop of these although then realised we don't like them. Up they came and over the fence they went!

Lettuce: we tended to take leaves from just half the plants due to preference. I said goodbye to the last lettuce last weekend as it looked past it sell by date.

Kale: one of my experimental veg as I've never tried it before but I've heard it's pretty nice. Planted four plants out beside the cucumbers at the weekend.

Cauliflower: I also planted out cauliflower plants with the kale last weekend. New to me although I'm already looking forward to lashings of cauliflower cheese!

Peppers & Chillis: we've now used both the peppers and chilli peppers and there's loads to come. I did lose some peppers as they turned a little yellow and soft probably leaving them on the plant too long? A couple of the chilli plants have big fat chillis and the other three have the 'normal' long thin chillis and I've noticed a few red ones appearing in the last few days.

Tomotoes: the Cherrybelle are now being picked and there are loads of them. Still to see the Fantasia are pretty huge but no sign of ripening yet.

I like to think I've been keeping everything watered well (not too much, not too little) and have been feeding the tomatoes and peppers every week.

Although things appear to be going very well I still have to admit to being pretty clueless on what I'm doing most of the time so input is very much appreciated :D

CanaryYellow
FISO Knight

Post by CanaryYellow »

My first go at strawbs this year, i believe you pick the best 3 or 4 runners and let them root, once established you chop them off the main plant and voila 3 or 4 new ones for next year.

Did you grow yours from seed or plant?

The Ledge
Dumbledore

Post by The Ledge »

...and the pics :D

How it's looking as of 31st August.
310810veggarden.JPG
The tomatoes (on a day trip outside the greenhouse).
310810toms2.JPG
The peppers.
310810peppers.JPG
The leeks, very young carrots and final crop of potatoes.
310810leeks.JPG
The newly planted kale, cauliflower and salad leaves (under the soil) with the cucumber and redundant strawberries.
310810kale.JPG
My chillii farm.
310810chillis.JPG
The two types of broccoli and eight cabbage plants.
3108broccoli.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The Ledge
Dumbledore

Post by The Ledge »

CanaryYellow wrote:My first go at strawbs this year, i believe you pick the best 3 or 4 runners and let them root, once established you chop them off the main plant and voila 3 or 4 new ones for next year.

Did you grow yours from seed or plant?

The strawberries were from plants. I've grown quite a bit from plants this year to get me started but will do more from seed next year. I read that in the first year the runners should be cut off and can be used for creating new plants in year two.

Good luck CY :D

Javahart
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Not troubling the leaders

Post by Javahart »

The Ledge wrote:
Javahart wrote:Good work Ledge & like the progress! I started a blog on my Veg plot so I could look back next year and see what I did (and what I did wrong).

http://javahart.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You going to give us an update sometime soon Javahart?
I've been slacking on the blog - no followers to nudge me (hint hint)
You've had a good season by the looks of it :D

Here's some pics of the summer - I need to get my crop pics uploaded.

Knulpuk
Dumbledore

Post by Knulpuk »

shogun wrote:How many of the vegetables will you leave in ground for next year? Or do you have to plant nbrand ew crop/seeds next year?
Well better late than never :lol:

Hardly any is the answer mainly because in order to ensure that the veggies do not become susceptible to disease it desirable to move them on (3 year rotation) they are annual anyway in that you grow them the die - that's it - I cannot think of any perpetual veg - maybe some spinaches / chard.

Jerusalem artichokes are the exception - every year I double dig the plot to get rid of every last trace of them - last weekend we dug up 30lb. They will come back year after year after every pesky year.

eagle224
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Veteran

Post by eagle224 »

Asparagus is the only one you leave in situ. As Knulpuk says, rotation is the key to keeping on top of diseases.

Already got my first planting of peas, broad beans, runner beans and onions sown out for an early crop and also more in the polytunnel in case the early effort gets killed by harsh late frosts. Rotavated a new patch ready for the spud's that are chitting away indoors right now. Also got tagetes (Marigold) seedlings growing under cover for keeping the aphids at bay.

I tried "gardening by the moon" last year but found it very difficult to get out when needed and gave up after a few months, so will try a little harder this year to see if it really makes a difference. Parsnip, Carrot and Leek seeds to go out this weekend.

The Ledge
Dumbledore

Post by The Ledge »

Righty ho!

I had fully intended on getting this thread up and running again even without a friendly nudge from Knulpuk! The heart went out of the garden at the tail of last year as my attempts at end of year growth were not very fruitful. I only got around to tidying up the vegetable garden around a month ago pulling up what remained of my abandoned crops. The buzz is now back though and in the last few weeks my second season as a grower has begun and I feel I can only get more adventurous... and hopeffully more successful.

A couple of weeks ago I 'chitted' for the first time and here's a picture of the potatoes in the shed:-
Chitting.JPG
Last year I started most of my crops as mini plants bought from Suttons but as I have more time on my side (I never finished building the garden until the end of April) I've decided to start everything from seed. At the end of last month the following went into trays and pots and currenlty live on my step-daughter's bed while she's at university:-

Cucumbers
Tomatoes (3 varieties)
Courgette
Leeks
Peppers
Chillis
Brussels Sprouts

Thyme
Rosemary
Basil
Oregano
Coriander
Sage

I've also decided to grow flowers as well this year to add a bit more colour to the other parts of the garden, saving money on buying bedding plants later. Here' are the babies:-
Seeds.JPG
Yesterday after adding multiprpose compost and chicken pellets I sowed my first seeds into the beds, including:-

Leaf Salad
Lettuce
Spring Onions
Spinach
Carrots (under cloche)

I put a fleece over the bad this evening and read them a bedtime story :wink:
First Sowings.JPG
As ever any advice from you experts is always well received :D

Happy gardening!

Knulpuk
Dumbledore

Post by Knulpuk »

Lets talk seed!

Who do you use - I tend to use Kings as our allotment shop stocks them and top up any shortages from Dobies in Devon (mail order) always been happy with both.

Pasty
Dumbledore
FS Record: 32nd TFF 07/08 n Fiso 25s Champ

Post by Pasty »

I've currently got some chilli seeds germinating in the airing cupboard :D , keep checking every night for signs of life, nothing after a week :? Getting 3 different varieties including Habenero's next week so I'm hoping for a bumper crop of chilli this summer :D

Knulpuk
Dumbledore

Post by Knulpuk »

Pasty wrote:I've currently got some chilli seeds germinating in the airing cupboard :D , keep checking every night for signs of life, nothing after a week :? Getting 3 different varieties including Habenero's next week so I'm hoping for a bumper crop of chilli this summer :D
I bought loads of chilli seeds back from South Africa and am also going for it big time - I looked at the packet at the weekend and it suggested from memory that they took 2-3 weeks to germinate.

Pasty
Dumbledore

Post by Pasty »

Knulpuk wrote:
Pasty wrote:I've currently got some chilli seeds germinating in the airing cupboard :D , keep checking every night for signs of life, nothing after a week :? Getting 3 different varieties including Habenero's next week so I'm hoping for a bumper crop of chilli this summer :D
I bought loads of chilli seeds back from South Africa and am also going for it big time - I looked at the packet at the weekend and it suggested from memory that they took 2-3 weeks to germinate.

Thats good news then! Mine are finger chillis from Asda that I decided to have a go at growing. This website looks to have great variety on offer and I'll be getting 3 or 4 more exotic varieties soon:

http://www.chileseeds.co.uk/hot_chili_pepper_seed.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pasty
Dumbledore

Post by Pasty »

Well the Finger chilli seeds went a bit funny so I threw those out... However I did try again with the seeds of a chilli from my fridge last week and I do believe we have signs of life :D Had a quick peek last night and there was a tiny bit of mould round a few of the seeds I had sowed in damp compost, turns out these had sprouted. for some reason I turned them so the srout was pointing upwards. A quick spot of googling and it turns out that was the root :lol: Anyone spot a novice :?:
Eventually got my speciality seeds from the above link, I now have Hot Rainbow chillis (a fancy looking chilli plant with balloon shaped fruit :D ) and Red Savina (once held the record as the hottest chilli :D ) the fruit of the latter look a little like Haberneros and being a tropical sort Im not so confident I'll see much fruit given that I dont have a greenhouse, we'll see :D

Knulpuk
Dumbledore

Post by Knulpuk »

Some of my South Africa Chilli seed are triangular and blue - which is a bit odd. Look a bit like small Viagra - which I have heard may also be triangular and blue. Apparently.

My top chilli tip is that chillies are a bit like goldfish - the bigger the tank - the bigger the fish - substituting tank for pot and chillies for fish.

I.e plant them in a bigger pot and you will get more chillies off of a bigger plant.

The Ledge
Dumbledore

Post by The Ledge »

It's been over a year since I posted on this thread :oops: I suppose that says quite a bit about my lack of success last year although I did well with peas for the first time and the strawberries did really well in their second year.

Anyhoos, I'll be updating again on a more regular basis and will get some pics done this week. I started herbs in pots on the kitchen windowsill and have also started tomotoes, chillis, courgettes, leeks, peppers and sprouts inside. I've decided to use planters a lot more this year although yesterday's great weather got me to sow my first seeds outside and in went carrots, rocket, spring onions, lettuce and garlic.

Got some other gardening jobs on the go and can't wait to get home to get a couple of hours in the garden tonight :D

Happy gardening!

juckster
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Winner of a mile in another mans shoes pre TW2. Total wins £550 SDT 2011/12.

Post by juckster »

Ledge, don't worry too much about last years crop. It was very dry last year and everyone was in the same boat.

Just make sure you water everything thoroughly and regularly and you'll be fine.

Knulpuk
Dumbledore

Post by Knulpuk »

Garlic, shallots, leeks, spinach, broad beans, lettuce and basil all shooting up (in a growth not drugs sense).

Rhubarb, gooseberries, red black and white currents and raspberries all making a show.

4 rows of spuds is (Nadine and desiree).

Pink firs and onions this weekend - its go go go!

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Gardening”