To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

The Ledge Does Veg.

A forum for general discussion on Gardening issues and topics
The Ledge
Dumbledore
FS Record: 6th place TFF finish, MotW winner, Highest Climber and Div 15 champ.

Re: The Ledge Does Veg.

Post by The Ledge »

Here's some pics from the last week as promised. Won't go into any great details as I don't have the varieties to hand but this is what I've got started:-
Image1.JPG
This is what I've started in the spare room:-

Peppers
Chillis
Brussels
Leeks
Tomotoes
Cucumbers
Courgettes
Image4.JPG
I started herbs on the kitchen windowsill about three weeks ago but put some in the greenhouse at the weekend. Here you can see:-

Corriander
Thyme
Oregano
Sage
Mint
Basil

...and I also started some Caulliflower in the cells.
Image2.JPG
After some success last year using potato planters I've decided to stick with them and have given the valuable beds to other crops. I started later than I had hoped and have gone with two planters of first earlies and three main crop which should keep us going for most of the year. I've also decided to do peas in planters and have sowed the first seeds at the weekend and will add another planter in a month or so.
Image3.JPG
Nothing to look at in the beds at the moment but I did sow the following at the weekend:-

Carrots
Rocket
Lettuce
Spring Onions
Garlic

After some cracking weather at the weekend I had to cover the above with fleece to keep them warm with the bloody snow that's tried to fall!

About three weeks ago I also planted out more strawberry plants which I'd taken from the runners of the established plants. This will be the third year of my first strawberries and I was under the impression that I should dig them out after three years so best to get a new crop started.
Image6.JPG
Finally I've started a project out the front of the house and have lifted monoblock (1,200 bricks!) and turf and will returf whenever the weather gets a bit warmer. At the top of the picture I've also knocked down a small wall and will have planted some box hedging - how nice 8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kizkiz
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISO autumn 2009 poker world champ and 8 game champ

Post by kizkiz »

Looking good Ledge.
I know the feeling of a large project :lol:
I've also read about the strawberry 3 year thing btw

SUZYKINS
Dumbledore

Post by SUZYKINS »

Good Luck Ledge.
BTW did you crop rotate this year ?

The Ledge
Dumbledore

Post by The Ledge »

SUZYKINS wrote:Good Luck Ledge.
I have rotated a bit which was made easy by growing the potatoes in planters this year. In the last couple of years they've taken up my biggest bed and I've decided to use that bed for salad this year. The 'domino effect' has meant that other beds are now free for more rotation.

I have three large, flexi tubs and can't decide what to grow in these. I've bought sweetcorn seeds and fancy giving them a shot this year but I'm not sure if they'd be suitable in containers? Anyone have any suggestions?

The Ledge
Dumbledore

Post by The Ledge »

Forgot to mention I've also sown loads of bedding plants into cell trays. I did this last year and got them to a healthy seedling stage before I covered them in the greenhouse, overheated them and killed every one of them in 24 hours :cry: I love this learning as you go along malarky :D

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

The Ledge wrote:Forgot to mention I've also sown loads of bedding plants into cell trays. I did this last year and got them to a healthy seedling stage before I covered them in the greenhouse, overheated them and killed every one of them in 24 hours :cry: I love this learning as you go along malarky :D
Proper gardening at last. And you failed.....

For bedding you are often better off with small plug plants rather than using seeds. Still cheap if bulk buying from someone like Thompson & Morgan (especially using Tesco Reward points!) Got about 200 of various sorts planted up in my shed.

Knulpuk
Dumbledore
FS Record: Ultra ultra consistent (see above)

Post by Knulpuk »

The Ledge wrote:
SUZYKINS wrote:Good Luck Ledge.
I have rotated a bit which was made easy by growing the potatoes in planters this year. In the last couple of years they've taken up my biggest bed and I've decided to use that bed for salad this year. The 'domino effect' has meant that other beds are now free for more rotation.

I have three large, flexi tubs and can't decide what to grow in these. I've bought sweetcorn seeds and fancy giving them a shot this year but I'm not sure if they'd be suitable in containers? Anyone have any suggestions?
Sweetcorn will not be suitable - it grows quite tall and stems are very thick - also you need to plant in blocks as they are wind pollenated. In a higher wind in a container you risk it all falling over. I would grow carrot and parsnips in containers you can make the soil finer and get a better straighter crop.

Also we grow sweetcorn in peat pots in greenhouse - then when started - cut off bottom - chuck 'em in the ground in the pot and bobs yer Uncle - works a treat - better results for us than growing direct in the ground.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Gardening”