To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Feeding The Lilly Bulb

A forum for general discussion on Gardening issues and topics
Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Feeding The Lilly Bulb

Post by Spinynorman »

I know that you leave the foliage on a daffodil to feed the bulb but is this also the case with lilies?

Not much foliage on some of mine once the flowers have gone so do they get their nutrients in a different way?

pa102aw
Fiso Knight Templar
FS Record: Too many to mention now :-)

Re: Feeding The Lilly Bulb

Post by pa102aw »

Always allow the leaves on the stalk to turn yellow and fall off as part of the lily’s natural growth process. This insures that the bulbous underground part of the plant has gotten enough nourishment and will mean greater growth next year

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

I presume it's still a good idea to snip off seed pods so as not to waste the plants energy?

pa102aw
Fiso Knight Templar

Post by pa102aw »

Spinynorman wrote:I presume it's still a good idea to snip off seed pods to as not to waste the plants energy?
Cut the bloom stalks off and the seed pods with them.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

I have always just left them :shock:

All have flourished 8-)

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

blahblah wrote:I have always just left them :shock:

All have flourished 8-)
just think how good they could have been.....

Stick
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Completely private

Post by Stick »

jus got back form h/moon and my lilies are out, got about 30 or so flowers they smell incredible, i feel such a girl for posting this but they really are great! Come round for a sniff if you like :D

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Stick wrote:jus got back form h/moon and my lilies are out, got about 30 or so flowers they smell incredible, i feel such a girl for posting this but they really are great! Come round for a sniff if you like :D
Thought you lived in the Midlands not way up north.

My last ones went over about a fortnight ago.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

It's mild out your way murf. I've still got some that haven't come out yet.

Some come out later anyway, I think it's either the oriental or asiatic lillies that come out a bit later.

Hope you had a good honeymoon Stick. :)

Stick
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Completely private

Post by Stick »

its taken me a while to catch up with this, forgot all about this forum!

i live in the midlands yes, my lillies wernt supposed to come out till late august (thats what the instructions said!) as they were quite tall ones, for next year im gonna get some short ones so they flower much earlier in the year. Those coupled with my tall ones should give months of flowers!

i tell you what is still going well in my garden - the dahalia's, they flowered early in the summer and still have 10 flowers on each of them with a few buds left to come through, great plants for hardly any dough as well.

ive found buying them all off t'internet as bulbs/tubers is the way to go as long as you plan 2 seasons in advance. its dead cheap.....all my spring/ early summer stuff is arriving slowly now

honeymoon was great thanks Spiny! and the mrs is expecting again! only early days so keep it quiet!

Dot
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Dot »

Stick wrote:its taken me a while to catch up with this, forgot all about this forum!

i live in the midlands yes, my lillies wernt supposed to come out till late august (thats what the instructions said!) as they were quite tall ones, for next year im gonna get some short ones so they flower much earlier in the year. Those coupled with my tall ones should give months of flowers!

i tell you what is still going well in my garden - the dahalia's, they flowered early in the summer and still have 10 flowers on each of them with a few buds left to come through, great plants for hardly any dough as well.

ive found buying them all off t'internet as bulbs/tubers is the way to go as long as you plan 2 seasons in advance. its dead cheap.....all my spring/ early summer stuff is arriving slowly now

honeymoon was great thanks Spiny! and the mrs is expecting again! only early days so keep it quiet!
Hows the cough Bob?

pa102aw
Fiso Knight Templar

Post by pa102aw »

My Gladioli are just starting to come out and tomorrow is the first of October !!

Dot
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Dot »

pa102aw wrote:My Gladioli are just starting to come out and tomorrow is the first of October !!
my dangleberries are playing up but i'm about to visit Trap 1.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Gardening”