To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

The Allotment thread

A forum for general discussion on Gardening issues and topics
Knulpuk
Dumbledore
FS Record: Ultra ultra consistent (see above)

Re: The Allotment thread

Post by Knulpuk »

So things noted so far this year:

stick with Sutton broad beans and Alderman peas - why change what works.

Lost of of people lost potatoes, beans and other sensitive things with the frost 2 weeks ago - we survived ok nearly most of our loss was in the greenhouse (that's how cold it was). The only real loss is the gooseberries - which is a bit gutting.

There are artichokes, sage, thyme at the back too. Carrots in now just to the front of the greenhouse.

We are hoping the 1.5 tonnes of manure we dug in helps this year!

And here is a shed shot
6.jpg
in which you just see the carrots in the bottom left.

So how's it going with you TheLedge?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jonathan
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: ^ That's my dad! ^ KGC Captain's Drive-in 2015 Champ
FS Record: OFL Champions League Sprint finalist 10/11

Post by Jonathan »

Another interesting gardening thread I had missed. Nice work, Knul! Looking forward to a carrot cake or two in the not two distant future!

Dot
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Dot »

Knulpuk wrote:So the first thing to say is that everything is a bit later this year. The grass needs cutting etc too - that is tomorrows job...
1.jpg
In the foreground we have red cabbage and to the left some sprouts, behind that garlic, onions and shallots. These will soon be joined by the recently crowned unpopular cauliflowers - which are still in the greenhouse. Broad beans behind that and to the left of the beans sweetcorn - only just planted. Just in front of these - not visible a row of parsnips..

Right at the back rhubarb and gooseberries (lost some to frost :( ). To the right some rhubarb right at the back some spinach which is just in front of parsley, which can be seen better here...There are blackcurrant and redcurrant bushes back there too for the first time.
2.jpg
This also shows beetroot in its early stages at the front - the 8 green bits are celery - behind that lettuce (normal and lambs leaf) - rocket and similar and radish.

Looking back: a better view of the spuds / broad beans and corn with the shed too.
3.jpg
Those BRICKS look tasty and ready for picking.

The Ledge
Dumbledore
FS Record: 6th place TFF finish, MotW winner, Highest Climber and Div 15 champ.

Post by The Ledge »

Dot wrote:Those BRICKS look tasty and ready for picking.
I'm jealous of those bricks, although I'm sure that another couple of seasons of trial and error I'll be able to grow bricks that look as good as knulpuk's :D

Knulpuk
Dumbledore

Post by Knulpuk »

Cor what a bumper year!

4 days worth of courgettes!
courgettes.jpg
Potatoes - 1st dig - cat in for perspective - I weighed the spud by her head 700g give or take - that's a large potato.
spuds.jpg
Garlic even worked this year
Garlic.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Knulpuk
Dumbledore

Post by Knulpuk »

I will post some plot pictures at the weekend - sweetcorn is something to behold at 7ft!! (tall not the actual sweetcorns - that would be silly).

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

The veg looks really tasty!

shogun
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Unbeaten

Post by shogun »

Getting cold now. What you gonna do to the plants?

Knulpuk
Dumbledore

Post by Knulpuk »

So there is a definite and tangible feeling of Spring in the air. This thread is to be read very much in tandem with the Ledge's veg thread!

The first stuff has been planted over the last couple of weeks - all in the greenhouse:

Broad beans - I tend to plant some straight outside and some I start in the greenhouse - the latter always tend to do better.

Spinach, Parsley, Basil (will stay in greenhouse) and or various windowsills, lettuce.

Potatoes are chitting under the bed. Shallots and onions are itching to go out but this is our 2nd week of heavy frosts - later in the month I expect.

Actually we do have spring onions growing outside in the moment and we dug up 10lb of parsnips 2 weeks ago. Mrs K outdid herself again with a parsnip cake! They always taste better after a frost.

On the fruit front our initial 2 gooseberry bushes have come through the winter and have have been joined by 2 new soon to be substantial bushes taken as cuttings 2 years ago - another has taken and will join them next year.

Raspberries look good already, but the strawberries took a bit of a battering in the year but they look like they are recovering. Black and red currents did not come to anything last year as it was their first year - but they look good this year.

As always rhubarb already looking good - perhaps 2 weeks away from the first portion (though only really good when its had some sun).

Mint, Sake and Thyme all survived the winter, starting again with Parsley which goes in 2 year cycles (for us!)

Seeds all acquired. This year we are growing:

Kale
Sweetcorn
Potatoes (Pentland Javelin, Desiree, Pink fir)
Onions (Picasso and red giant (I think)
Shallots (Dutch Gold, Picasso)
Sweetcorn
Runner Beans (Enorma)
Peas (Alderman)
Artichokes (Mainly because I cannot dig the bigger up)
Celeriac (Goes well with pumpkin in soup)
Broad Beans (Sutton)
Leeks (F1)
Beetroot
Spring Onions
Climbing Beans (Cobra)
Savoy cabbage
Red cabbage (which freezes better than any other veg)
Parsnips
Carrots
Courgettes :D
Pumpkin
Spinach
Butternut squash
Celery
Various salady leaf.

Dropping sprouts, cauliflowers and broccoli. Took much space too little yield. Radishes dropped a la Ledge as we realise that no one likes them too.

Will try and post a photo or two at the weekend!

Edit greenhouse - forgot that - we bought lots of pepper seeds in South Africa and will try them out.

Tomatoes, and cucumbers will join them too - but this year is chilli year.

The Ledge
Dumbledore

Post by The Ledge »

I took my first snaps of the year yesterday an will give an update soon on my second year doing the veggie thang :D

kizkiz
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISO autumn 2009 poker world champ and 8 game champ

Post by kizkiz »

It's all coming together a bit late, but i'll be doing the veg thing as soon as i can get the greenhouse built :lol:
I should have the veg beds up and running in the next couple of weeks though, so i should probably start a thread. lol

Knulpuk
Dumbledore

Post by Knulpuk »

kizkiz wrote:It's all coming together a bit late, but i'll be doing the veg thing as soon as i can get the greenhouse built :lol:
I should have the veg beds up and running in the next couple of weeks though, so i should probably start a thread. lol
Not sure its a bit late at all - lots of people (and this is not far from the South Coast) got caught out last year with the May frosts - things grow very slowly now anyway - you still have a couple of months of slack before it really kicks off.

This seems a growth area! (see what I did there?)

kizkiz
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISO autumn 2009 poker world champ and 8 game champ

Post by kizkiz »

Well the greenhouse is finally built, and a few raised beds are going well with potatoes, carrots, garlic and onion. :D
Nothing veg wise in the greenhouse yet and still another large bed to dig yet.
Thoroughly enjoying it so far!
Think i'll start a thread of my own 8-)

The Ledge
Dumbledore

Post by The Ledge »

...make sure you do KK. I suppose I should get my thread updated soon as well :oops:

Knulpuk
Dumbledore

Post by Knulpuk »

I need to update this too - very lax.

At the moment we have :

4 types of spuds
Shallots
Onions
Broad beans
spinach
Salad stuff
Parsnips
Beetroot
Peas

Lots of soft fruit - Strawbs are really being "slugged" this year.

Lots waiting to go out - especial runner, french and climbing beans - some photo's at the weekend.

Knulpuk
Dumbledore

Post by Knulpuk »

So - its all kicking off on the growing front this year :D.

Maincrop spuds in the front, lettuce, spinach and broad beans - the later back to form - as we ditched Alquadulce in favour of Suttons - why change a winning formula.
p1_edited-1.jpg
Then a bit further back with raspberries and strawberries in shot - with the early spuds as well as the main crop.
003.jpg
And some shallots all separating nicely
014.jpg

Knulpuk
Dumbledore

Post by Knulpuk »

Cobra (the beans not the snakes) out quite early this year. Alderman peas (grow up to 5 - 6ft) in behind and growing quickly - infact they were noticeably higher just this evening).
016.jpg
Awaiting planting out this weekend....
001.jpg
More peas, courgettes, runner beans. 2 types of chillies in the pots - tomatoes too. Also leeks coming through in foreground and the first spring onions too. Sweetcorn coming up too in the pots just behind the peppers.

Knulpuk
Dumbledore

Post by Knulpuk »

Cor what a tricky year so far - everything is so late - all the rain has moved things on (and the weeds and these are a couple of weeks out of date). I will post an update at the weekend and you will see how things have moved on!
0001.JPG
We have here, garlic and shallots in the foreground, strawberries behind them - all the rain has caused the slugs etc to take over these.

Broad beans (dreadnought), sweet corn, peas, runner beans, cobra beans and french beans (half munched by deer :evil: ).
0002.JPG
Pumpkins, Winter Squash and courgettes.
0003.JPG
Red and white cabbage and sprouts. Fantastic rhubarb (2 varieties - its the star this year!). Better shot of all the beans. Behind - a new soft fruit patch - raspberries, gooseberries, white, red and black currents, logan berries and tayberries. Terrible year for fruit full stop but this year was always sacrificial to get everything together - I chose a good year!

Knulpuk
Dumbledore

Post by Knulpuk »

Here we have Potatoes - Pentland Javelin, Nadine, Desiree and Pink fir.

Behind them more broad beans this time the smaller Sutton.
0004.JPG
Hard to see here but
0005.JPG
Lettuce, rocket, spring onions, leeks, spinach, beetroot. Some "self supporting peas" - yeah right then. You can just see the sage to left of the rhubarb, the bees love it, and behind that thyme and gooseberries. From my 1 gooseberry bush I now have 7 plants on the go.

Finally
0006.JPG
These broad beans are laden with flowers and no blackfly yet - if they all pod up we will have 30 - 50 lb beans I reckon. pesky ants though tend to turn the plants into the most effective intensive farming you have ever seen. Annoying it may be fascinating it definitely is.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Gardening”