To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Garden seeds

A forum for general discussion on Gardening issues and topics
murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Re: Garden seeds

Post by murf »

We get plenty of woms naturally and my willow takes a lot of the water in winter (and more in summer...)

Achiles74
Dumbledore

Post by Achiles74 »

How about trying Daffodils or Leeks?

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Achiles74 wrote:How about trying Daffodils or Leeks?
It should be a red rose today.

CanaryYellow
FISO Knight

Post by CanaryYellow »

After discovering the wonders of planting millions of bulbs earlier this year i decided a couple of weeks ago gardening was clearly very easy so started to grow my own urbs ( sorry too much Barefoot Contessa).

I started by ignoring the instructions and emptying an entire packet of seeds into a seed tray. After all surely you have more chance of growing something if you plant 1000s rather than 3-5 per square? Needless to say lesson learnt although i am still torturing about 300 rocket plants squashed into about 4 square inches. :lol:

Attempt #2 has gone a little better but my basil seedlngs are now hitting the roof of the propagator. As yet they still only have their original 2 leaves. Is it time to start splitting them into bigger pots? Should i take the lid off the propagator? I did this with my first batch of basil and everything died off although these are a lot more established.

Help !

jpk
Dumbledore

Post by jpk »

I found that Basil grows best if you plant a few seeds in a big pot on a window sill and never transplant it, moving the delicate seedlings is tricky. But if you need to, just remember to handle them by the leaves and try not to touch the stem too much. I tried to grow some outside earlier in the year and the whole lot was devoured by slugs who obviously have a taste for Italian food

Knulpuk
Dumbledore
FS Record: Ultra ultra consistent (see above)

Post by Knulpuk »

I find that sewing them in an open tray is best then break them of into 4 / 5 plant sections and plant them on into bigger plant pots en masse to save tricky transplanting - I have a veritable sea of basil this year. if you leave them in the tray it stunts growth in my opinion as the roots are quite deep.

Also you can harvest leaves and they should come again - not much better than fresh pesto!

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Gardening”