To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

FISO League Report

A forum for news and comment on The Times' Play The Game fantasy football game.
Krispy
Grumpy Bald Man

FISO League Report

Post by Krispy »

I’m going to (at least try to) post a weekly PTG update to help track progress / keep an eye on the opposition.

I will time this using FPL GW’s … however, it’s worth remembering that you can’t gain extra plays during double game week’s / mismatched fixtures (akin to TFF 2 for 0’s) – each position can only be used 38 times over the course of the season (a bit like the Karma Sutra … only different).

This should hopefully be useful in identifying areas of relative weakness / strength and picking up OOC players / proposing transfers accordingly. My block defence will either perform each week or be a complete let down. First observation is that Top4 D’s don’t appear to have scored as highly on the Def category and this is one area I could quickly fall behind. Toure coming on for 18mins didn’t help the cause and just highlights the importance of your starting 14 playing the full 90.

My main tactic will be to keep afloat in mins / def / sp’s … and then hope for as many CS / Goals / Assists as poss. Förbrytarbeteende IK has already shown that defensive strikes are like gold dust and has already stolen a march on the rest of us

GW1 Points:

GW1 Stats:

Krispy
Grumpy Bald Man

Re: FISO League Report

Post by Krispy »

Team after GW1:

Disappointed that Alves wasn't awarded an assist for his shot off the bar :( But shouldn't really complain as already topping that category.

Out of Contract Players:
Denilson - Short term, maybe bring in a stiker after transfer window?
Shorey - Hope Villa tighten at the back ... and bring on those assists!
Mikel (M.Johnson) - Wait and see if holds down his place when Essien returns

Bench:
Hargreaves - Can play RB, useful for Utd CS's ... when fit
Anderson - Long term replacement for Scholes? Wait and see
Babel / Benayoun - Potential, see who Liverpool bring in?
Degan - Could be first team RB ... Arbeloa poss switch LB. Or just rotated so bases covered? Or just bench warmer / Carling Cup

Strengths:
Central midfield = Pts + SPs
defence = Fingers crossed CS's ... however, only takes a second to conceed a goal. Risk of block defence

Weaknesses:
Where are my goals coming from? Ade only proven scorer. Alves has potential. Rooney more creative / provider ... although could be big season depending on partnership (Berb)

Not our Donna
FISOhead

Post by Not our Donna »

Given your defensive six players my tactic will be to try to just keep afloat in the CS department...

Krispy
Grumpy Bald Man

Post by Krispy »

GW2 Review:
From a personal perspective, perhaps a little disappointing. GW2 served to highlight the fragility of a block defence ... both Liverpool and Arsenal conceeding. Upfront, my strikers are also yet to get off the mark, so falling further behind on that front too. On a positive note, successful passes keep on building - however my defensive total remains worryingly low ... just 3pts off rock bottom.

This week Magfliers notched up the most CSs (3) and also bagged a defensive goal. Blind Fiddlers also secured a pair of CSs as well as a defensive score to consolidate his lead at the top of the table. Offensively, Piggy the Game made the most inroads, scoring a brace and notching up four assists.

GW2 Points:

GW2 Stats:

ted striker
Treebeard
FS Record: TFC Winner 2008, TFC FPT Winner 2008, TFC Runs Winner 2008 & 2010, TFC Wickets Winner 2007 & 2008

Post by ted striker »

Of course one piece of info missing from the league tables is how many eligible games have been used up for each team. Whilst it is clear my team (Blind Fiddlers) is well ahead in the defensive categories at the moment, it is also clear from the minutes category that my defensive players have played more games so far than any other team. The minutes category is only a rough guide though, as games may have been used up when the player did not play.

So for those that think they are trailing badly, don't give up all hope just yet.

Krispy
Grumpy Bald Man

Post by Krispy »

GW3 Review:

From a personal perspective, Agger is continuing to frustrate in defence while I’ve been robbed of Adebayor’s second assist (PTG must score differently to FPL). Bellamy was on the bench for his goal so that didn’t count either.

In the overall standings, things have started to concertina at the top with Piggy The Game and Pleavin08 swapping places in 4th and 8th. Domboos Dynamoes has come off worst and is currently struggling on 16 points.

GW3 Points:

GW3 Stats:

It’s been a much stronger week defensively with Clean Sheets all round. Piggy The Game came top with 5 plus myself (YBB) and Anfield picking up 4 a piece. 3 of us got a defensive Goal / Assist but Anfield and Pleavin are still yet to get off the mark. Forb IK & Lord Lucan both played the maximum 540mins with 3 of us lagging behind with 360 or less. This should, however, give us two games in hand. I had the poorest defensive tally by a long shot (46) … with Magflyers next up adding 54 to his total. Not surprisingly, Lord Lucan was near the top with 74, while Anfield notched up an impressive 78. Four teams gained 10+ team points with Piggy the Game and Anfield both securing (lucky for them) 13.

Mirroring the equal distribution of CS’s, most teams also picked up a goal or two. Blind Fiddlers continued to dominate adding 3 to build a commanding total of 9. This is clearly the area that Domboos Dynamoes came unstuck, not even playing 90mins total and just 20 SPs. Conversely, Magflyers has stolen a march with 783mins and 239 SPs from his front 8 – but by doing so, has sacrificed at least one of his potential plays. Half of us did well on the team points front, picking up 13-15pts a piece.

And finally … the transfer window has closed. Interesting few days while we wait for PTG to add the new faces … and then the agonising wait for the notice period to play it’s part. I’m fifth in line … I know who I want … but I also know who I’m likely to get. Best of luck … let’s hope the fantasy Gods are smiling

Krispy
Grumpy Bald Man

Post by Krispy »

GW4 Points:

GW4 Stats:

GW4 Review:

Picked up another couple of CS's but I'm still trailing defensively. Guess the only way is up ...

More success upfront with 3 goals (Ade hatrick) and five assists 8-)

Piggy the Game, having climbed to 4th last week is now back in 8th. Magfliers has also slipped from 2nd to 5th. Förbrytarbeteende IK has taken 3rd spot and consistently improved in all areas.

GW3 / 4 Comparision:

Transfers:

I'm interested in a quality CB. Perhaps Agger will come good, but in the mean time, this is the area that I need to improve most. I've a wealth of CM's ... make me a realistic offer.

Papa Giddy
Dumbledore
FS Record: 3rd TFFO 07-08; 5th TFFO 06-07, Top scoring Eggcupper 07-08

Post by Papa Giddy »

I think I should change my team name to YoYo. :(

Krispy
Grumpy Bald Man

Post by Krispy »

GW5 Points:

GW5 Stats:

GW5 Stats Difference:

GW5 Lament:
Denilson (1 goal, 1 assist) ... on the bench :cry:
Mikel (assist) ... also picking up splinters
Heavily loaded with Liverpool ... just about everyone picked up a draw :roll:

But on a plus ... Eboue's goal effectively lifted me into first 8-)

Papa Giddy
Dumbledore
FS Record: 3rd TFFO 07-08; 5th TFFO 06-07, Top scoring Eggcupper 07-08

Post by Papa Giddy »

The scoring in this game is just plain confusing. :? I'm glad that you are on hand to do these updates Mr Krispy (and I must spend some time trying to get my head around how it all works).

Krispy
Grumpy Bald Man

Post by Krispy »

GW7 Points:

GW7 Points:

GW7 Points:

Two Week Review:

Magflyers heads a group of 4 with 4+ CS's, picking up 6 over the last two weeks and jumping into first overall in this category. Förbrytarbeteende IK racked up the most Defensive Touches ... to be expected with maximum time on the pitch - two and a half times my tally :oops: Points wise it was Magflyers again, but it's all very tight at the top.

Offensively, Anfield '89 and Blind Fiddlers picked up an astounding 8 and 7 goals respectively, with the later now comfortably in the lead overall. My forte obviously lies in SP's and I might consider switching to 451 to consolidate this. Again, time on the pitch being a deciding factor. Team points was all about SuperPretzels - 10 clear of the nearest two and double everyone else with 40. Things are certainly turning around for last year's champion - one to keep an eye on :wink:

GW6 / 7 Lament:

Missed out on Pompey's GW6 CS

Transfers:

Still plenty of movement on the OOC player market ... quite pleased to have snapped up Kranjcar, despite having a wealth of players in that area. Carrying Hyypia to be on the safe side until Agger is 100% locked in as cover for Skrtle but I'm still lacking defensively.

I doubt anyone else is willing to give the game away but I currently have 6 defensive plays in hand (thought it was more than that :( ) and 3 offensive. Minutes played is a reasonable indication of what people have up their sleave ... I'm cursed with lots of "bit players" but am happy to pick up the CS's / Team Points.

ted striker
Treebeard
FS Record: TFC Winner 2008, TFC FPT Winner 2008, TFC Runs Winner 2008 & 2010, TFC Wickets Winner 2007 & 2008

Post by ted striker »

Osman and Zaki, both major doubts through injury, away to Arsenal and Liverpool respectively, surely nothing good could come from keeping them in my team today? Imagine my horror when I got back home to see I had missed 3 goals from the two of them in the first half alone. Sometimes this game can drive you mad can't it?

Krispy
Grumpy Bald Man

Post by Krispy »

ted striker wrote:Imagine my horror when I got back home to see I had missed 3 goals from the two of them in the first half alone. Sometimes this game can drive you mad can't it?
Fancy swapping the Zak for Alves? Save the stress and just leave him on the bench :P

Krispy
Grumpy Bald Man

Post by Krispy »

GW8 Points:

GW8 Stats:

GW8 Stats Difference:

GW8 Review:

Förbrytarbeteende IK, Limping Lord Lucan, Magflyers 2 and Pleavin08 all picked up 4+ CS’s … I left with nothing :? . My Arsenal / Liverpool block is not looking so strong … compounded further by Toure’s injury. All four plus Blind Fiddlers also did well on the defensive tally, hitting 60ish – again, I’m left languishing on 1pt. It’s hard to see any way up.

Offensively, I’ve got something to gloat about thanks to three goals and two assists 8-) . SuperPretzels also picked up another 5 G/A’s. I’m still dominant in SP’s and consolidated my lead by adding just shy of 400 to my total.

GW8 Lament:

Missed out on Pompey's CS ... again
Also Denilson's 66 SP’s
Letting Anderson go … hmmm

Krispy
Grumpy Bald Man

Post by Krispy »

GW9 Points:

GW8 Stats:

GW9 Stats Difference:

GW9 Review:

SuperPretzels and I picked up 4 CS’s … now very tight with just 3 CS separating 2nd and 6th. Defensively, I was woeful again, plaudits going to Anfield '89, Blind Fiddlers and Förbrytarbeteende IK - all around the 80 mark. Team points wise, domboos dynamoes joined me on 10+, with SuperPretzels adding 15 to his total.

Offensively, I was happy with another three goals ... again SuperPretzels leading the way on 5. Fairly mediocre for me on the SP front with Limping Lord Lucan, Magflyers 2 and Piggy The Game topping 200.

The foot of the table has been reshuffled and SuperPretzels is mounting his challenge on the top half. Limping Lord Lucan and Pleavin08 were on the slide.

GW8 Lament:

Chose Toure (inj) over Agger (CS)
Alves' goal :x

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Times' Play The Game (PTG)”