To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

FISO Forum Mini League - Play The Game 07/08

A forum for news and comment on The Times' Play The Game fantasy football game.
Krispy
Grumpy Bald Man

FISO Forum Mini League - Play The Game 07/08

Post by Krispy »

Thought I'd start a separate thread for discussion on our 10 man mini league :)

First round of fixtures out the way ... although I'm a little concerned about the accuracy of some of their stats :?

Both Kuyt and MGP are credited with an assist on various sources ... however are clearly missing from PTG. I have sent a number of emails and to be fair, they've been fairly swift in replying. Still waiting to hear back about this one though. Chances are its because the assist was awarded after the event ... grrr :x

Currently got bragging rights in the league table ... but thats largely due to the fact that I fielded in all 14 active playing slots.

I'll hazard a guess that Sundays points have still to be added as both Dunne and Evra scored clean sheets for my side. Perhaps I'm a little premature with this post :roll:

So far 5x are in the running on defensive stats (85pts+) - think the active plays comes into this? Don't Call Me Babel heads both this and the successful pass tally, again with 4 teams not far off the chase - DCMB=99pts, 4x 70~pts

My active 14 comprised largely of Everton, Blackburn, Liverpool & City so by virtue of this I'm leading the team points tally.

Like I said, all this will change :P

Plenty of action on the pick up / release front but still no movement on the transfer market :roll: No one wants to give anything up to the competition :lol:

I tried to tempt Browny but in the end he decided to hold on to Wayne ... no surprises there. McBride his short term replacement ... don't hold your breath for him to score :P

One glaring transfer, waiting to happen = Bijoux. McCulloch's no longer in the EPL, time to get rid :wink:

Krispy
Grumpy Bald Man

Post by Krispy »

Ok tables have been updated ...

Comments at this stage:

Chelsea players dominate the statistics
Ben Haim = 66 Def, Carvalho 62, Lamps 59 Successful Passes
These figures are 3x best performers from other teams

Other figures distorted by last minute super subs:
AverageGoalsFor = Bendtner 9.47 :shock: Voronin 7.5, Matt Derbyshire 6.92 ... ect
However
AverageGoalsAgainst = Queudrue 5.51, Matty Taylor 9 :shock:

Not so good for defensive subs but very useful for last minute striker (assuming high scoring team eg: Arsenal/Utd)

Krispy
Grumpy Bald Man

Post by Krispy »

A good evening for Jimmy's Jewels and myself 8-)

Both 3x Ev = Max team points

Lescott nodding in will make him highly desirable. You'll have to do a let better than Shevchenko to tempt him away now :lol:

Happy days for JJ with an assist for Arteta and Osman also getting on the score sheet.

Be interesting if MA is awarded 2x assists as he was originally credited with 2 on the Beeb :roll:

A good call by Superpretzels to bench Robbo - despite Reina not playing midweek

Krispy
Grumpy Bald Man

Post by Krispy »

Arteta does get the two assists ... while MGP/Kuyt went without for theirs on the first weekend. Decisions like this shape the early season but will hopefully even out in a few months time.

S.Petrov didn't last long on the market and is swiftly picked up by Browny. Chances are I won't regret that as much as letting Bentley go :x

I've built up some strength in defence so if anyone wants to trade, let me know :P If Corluka performs tonight, he might be of interest and with Everton's current form, so might Baines

Krispy
Grumpy Bald Man

Post by Krispy »

2nd Round of Games:

Although its nice to be perched at the top ... there's not too much you can read into the table after just two games. Although I've not compared Active Plays between teams, I'm pretty sure I've fielded more than most. This will boost Def/Sp's and also helps explain why I'm top of the Team Points table ... that, and Man U not performing! My weakest area is goals scored in midfield and attack, having netted just once. SuperPretzels is running away with his tally of 5! Magfliers had a cracking Wednesday, picking up 2 goals and 4 assists. I'd like some of that please :P

Working out how to play this week's fixtures is tricky as I can't see a City CS in the Manchester Derby, Liverpool welcome Chelsea to Anfield and Blackburn/Arsenal will be taking points off each other. Two guttsy performances from the Royals will also ask questions of Everton. Swings and roundabouts and GW3 will see me cut back down again.

chrisgk

play the game - fiso forum league

Post by chrisgk »

Great reports my friend, very useful info. Still getting to grips with the tactics of the game but fun to play and more involved than the normal FFL games.
My team - Pyrford Power - not doing too badly so far, as you say it is early days yet...

The pick up and release section is proving valuable to me as I have managed to get some useful additions to my squad to try and cover each position

Chrisgk

Krispy
Grumpy Bald Man

Post by Krispy »

3rd Round of Games:

Again ... what a week for Magfliers! 6 Clean Sheets as well as topping up his goal / assist tally. I've still got the lowest strike rate but hopefully that'll change with AJ/Kuyt/McCarthy all yet to get off the mark. Defence is my strongest area and I'm able to rotate 3 according to fixtures. Thankfully Campbell sat out this week and I benefited from 2xCity CB's :P DCMB / Hand of Dodd head the Def / SP tables - something to bear in mind when considering squad make up eg: Play makers vs Wingers vs Defensive Midfield - who see's more of the ball? SuperPretzels may top the Average Goals Against Table but the low Def count shows this is distorted by fewer active plays

I've 3 Active Plays in hand ... although considering the number of absences midweek, I'm sure others will have plenty more up their sleeve? 3GW's in and you can use 35/70 as a benchmark to compare to?

The release / pick up function is still a hive of activity ... but nothing on the transfer market. Definitely a useful tool for picking up squad players according to fixtures. Despite Derby this week, I let Kapo go in favour of Pennant. Playing with confidence, surely an assist is on its way ... although watch him get dropped now for the coming "easy" fixtures! Benayoun makes way as Hargreaves was too good an opportunity to miss out on. Magfliers had released his non-performing players from the big clubs (Shev / Sidwell ...) will he regret letting Owen slip through the net? 50+ successful passes on his debut will keep that tally strong ... plus any team points when Man U get back to winning ways.

jimmyrep
Kevin and Perry

Post by jimmyrep »

Well done on snapping up Senderos, I was gonna get him!

Hargreaves should score some big points also

Krispy
Grumpy Bald Man

Post by Krispy »

jimmyrep wrote:Well done on snapping up Senderos, I was gonna get him!
:lol: Cheers! Saw Gallas out for 3 weeks so should be useful at least in the short term. Hope Lehmann has got those blunders out his system :roll:

Edit: Make me an offer if you're interested in him :wink:

Geordee
Kevin and Perry

Post by Geordee »

Pick Up and release system proving very interesting - it was just typical for Hargreaves to be announced on the teamsheet after I'd dropped him :evil: May have been a mistake at the time, but with Dyer becoming available that more than made up for it as I did try to get Dyer once his transfer to WH was finalised but just missed out! When I saw him available I just could't resist and prayed no-one else went for him bearing in mind I was 9th on the priority list! With Dyer's vesatility I'd have happily transferred him for Hargreaves so all in all happy with the outcome - just hope he stays fit :lol:

Also pleased to pick up the 2nd Keeper (Isaksson). Although he's out injured for now he'll hopefully be back soon, and the way Lehman's playing it won't be long before he's dropped so I can't rely on him!

The knack of picking a decent player by anticipating when he'll be back from injury is also an art!! - eg Isaksson and Parker in my case, and I've seen a few others eg Lita etc. There's still some decent unallocated / out of contract players available, but when will they be back playing :?:

Anyway, good luck to all - there's a long way to go and it should be very interesting. :D

Geordee
Kevin and Perry

Post by Geordee »

....And Hey Presto, no sooner do I bring in 1 injured keeper than my existing 1 gets injured :? That's obviously the other art - getting rid of players just before they get injured :!: :!:
Still - all good fun :P

paulks
Red & Blue Braces

Post by paulks »

Whereas I annoyingly got rid of the Arsenal No 2 keeper due to him not getting a game and now course he is all set to play!

paulks
Red & Blue Braces

Post by paulks »

But have now got him back again!

Krispy
Grumpy Bald Man

Post by Krispy »

4th Round of Games:

Although I managed to double my goal tally this week, I'm still bottom of the pile with 2 ... just a single PTG point. Fab had an inspired game, not only scoring but 50+ SP's as well as 3 team points.

As every one develops their squad, its interesting to see who gets left on the bench and at what expense ...

Expecting a loss, I left Corluka out .. but he reinforced how valuable Man City are in defence with a high Def count (40). However, not too much to gripe about.

Jimmy's Jewels left out McFadden who's goal would've complimented Arteta's assist. Magfliers is in the same boat as me, 50+ def count unused - Same for Browny who also had Gary Speed on the bench = goal, 45 SP's plus 3 team points ... ouch.

On the pick up / release market, I snapped up Diouf - not just as another attacking option but for his high SP tally. Lehmann didn't last long nor did Baines ... wasn't too happy to see Lescott starting from the bench having let the LB go. Man U's Anderson could prove a valuable pick up as he's returned from injury - Magfliers has got a pretty handy looking squad now.

Last few days of the transfer market, I'm sure we'll see plenty more movement on the PTG front.

jimmyrep
Kevin and Perry

Post by jimmyrep »

Was delighted to pick up Baines :o

I'm struggling the first few months to maximise my squad as I'm away at weekends so I have to guess the 11 most likely to start over the weekend before the teams are announced.

Any doubtful starters are benched, so I've missed out on a fair few points recently. However, may have more plays remaining per position come the second half of the season.

Also, missed out on putting in Van Persie by 5 minutes due to hangover :x

Very frustrating when someone comes on for just 5 minutes at the end of the game and uses up a play.

wez
Wideboy

Post by wez »

Just wanted to say thanks for krispys reports. Ps anyway you can put fiso ids next to teams? might help.

Also noticed a lot of inactivity with a couple of teams any reasons peeps?

Just to liven things up i will post after this weekend how many active plays ive used up, hopefully a few of you will do the same, might give a bettere reflection on how the leagues shaping up.

Krispy
Grumpy Bald Man

Post by Krispy »

Fifth Round of Games:

Grrr left Benni on the bench only for him to get off the mark :evil: Should've played Corluka too with 50+ def count (lesson in there somewhere). Didn't foresee Villa CS - but still a shame for it not to count. Not had the best of luck with Senderos, injured and then straight red :shock: Lovely

The international break offers plenty of opportunity for transfers between teams ... we can but hope :wink:

Picked up Kirkland as Ev face Man U next time out and Wigan should pick up 3pts home to Fulham. Having said that ... they did put three past Spurs :roll: - plenty of time for a rethink.

I'm in my strongest position yet in the FISO league ... however, now's a good a time as any to compare active plays. So far I've stuck to the game weeks established in other games (FPL ect) so have 33/66 left across the board. I've just one play in hand for Def Sub - thanks to Senderos!

This equates to 5x6 (-1) Def plays and 5x8 Mid/For Plays. Should you wish to compare statistically:

Def = 934/29 = 32.2 per play
AGA = 0.7209x29 = 20.9 Goals Against
Def Pts = 55/29 = 1.89 per play

SP = 1026/40 = 25.65 per play
AGF = 1.6556*40 = 66.2 Goals For
Mid Pts = 82/40 = 2.05 per play

Still not too much you can read into Goals / Assists / CS's as an extra one still makes the world of difference.

On that note, an extra grr for McCarthy :lol:
Last edited by Krispy on 04 Sep 2007, 11:38, edited 1 time in total.

Krispy
Grumpy Bald Man

Post by Krispy »

wez wrote:Ps anyway you can put fiso ids next to teams? might help.
I'm just c&p'ing from PTG website so can't alter image

However:
  • Bijoux Axel
    Browny's rudeboys Browny
    Don't Call Me Babel Nigel1305
    Jimmys Jewels 3 JimmyReg
    Magflyers Geordee
    Pyrford Power ChrisGK
    Sky Blue Penguins Paulks
    Superpretzels Wez
    The Hand Of Dodd Nigel1305
    Y'all be bad Krispdafunk
I know Nigel & Browny from FPL - any others?

wez
Wideboy

Post by wez »

As promised earlier, a list of slots played

used / left to play

gk 4 / 34

lb 2 / 36

rb 4 / 34

cb 9 / 67

lm 4 / 34

rm 5 / 33

cm 8 / 68

fw 8 / 68

fw sub 3 / 35
mid sub 0 / 38
def sub 2 / 36

Krispy
Grumpy Bald Man

Post by Krispy »

GW11:

Superpretzels tops the table but there's not much to seporate the top 4. Saturday was like Christmas come early for him with 4 goals, 4 assists and 3 CS's. Frank also notched up 80 SP's which is not too be sniffed at ... plus 71 for Essien. Another 3 assists on Sunday wrapped up the weekend nicely ... shame Lennon's was stuck on the bench.

Kapo proved an inspired signing for me ... even if just a transitory one. 2 goals plus an assist for Hargreaves brought me back in contention. Sunday saw more goals from Benni and Fab while 2x Everton CS's kept things ticking over in defence.

Rooney was a one man show for Browny on Sat, with a goal and two assists. Anelka netted on Sunday plus another two assists from Riise and Helb ... just frustrating to see points sqandered with a hatfull of draws.

Magfliers will be more than happy with Drog & Tevez - netting a brace each on sat as well as a CS for Ferreira. Sunday was quieter but still notched up a CS from Stubbs plus a noteworthy performance by Cahill - 71 SP's - good signing :wink:

I've not had time to manage my PTG team as much as earlier in the season and have let a few "plays" slip by. With 11GW's under our belt ... we should have 27 plays left for each position.

Def = 6x11 (-3) = 63
Mid / For = 8x11 (-7) = 81

Def = 2383/63 = 37.8 per play
AGA = 0.9116x63 = 57.4 Goals Against
Def Pts = 122/63 = 1.94 per play

SP = 2408/81 = 29.73 per play
AGF = 1.6675x81 = 135 Goals For
Mid Pts = 160/81 = 1.98 per play

On the pick up / release front ... I've thrown away Diouf / Kitson - will I live to regret that? Not a huge amount of options left on the free pick up list :roll: Perhaps now is a good time to kick start the transfer market again? Feel free to make me an offer ... for anyone except Fab :twisted:

nigel1305
Grumpy Old Hand
FS Record: Never Ever Feel Inferior

Post by nigel1305 »

Thanks KDF for posting the League Table. Very nice work

As it is the month end the top 3 teams in the League will be entered into the prize draw that is run The Times.

Well played

Superpretzels - Wez
Y'all be bad - Krispdafunk
Browny's rudeboys - Browny

Good luck

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Times' Play The Game (PTG)”