To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

How are fellow FISOers doing in this?

A forum for discussion on the Guardian Fantasy Football game
flare2
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Consistently satisfactory

How are fellow FISOers doing in this?

Post by flare2 »

I'm at pos 653 which I think is pretty good especially as not really taking much notice. It's a strange game though esepcially with the clearance points and some of the value changes, didn't even realise the prices changed until today!

Spencer4
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: 2008/9 FPL 172nd, 2007/8 TFF 6th, Vid's Predictions winner 2014/5, Fiso TFF Hot shots champ 2015/6, murfs Egg chasers winner 2017 & 2024, winner PB's last man standing golf comp 2018, 2024 Fisodas champion

Re: How are fellow FISOers doing in this?

Post by Spencer4 »

I've been in the top 50 all season I think but it bores me. Once you find the best formation and get decent players in there's nothing to do except wait to see if any get injured. All I've done is get Ronaldo in, everything else is just making sure that all XI play.

I also find the bench pointless. Sorry, I'm not easily pleased :mrgreen:

anon6
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: Small Profit

Post by anon6 »

Languishing in 3K :( With all the OPTA stats I have, I should be doing better :cry:

Knulpuk
Dumbledore
FS Record: Ultra ultra consistent (see above)

Post by Knulpuk »

I fluctuate wildly but am currently around 7,000.

I dont particularly like the game to be honest - not because I am not doing well but because it all seems a bit random.

I use my subs because they are there rather than I need them and as far as I am concerned the budget need not exist - it has never been a factor in who I put in my team.

Agree re the bench - whats the point?

Price changes are just odd.

But its free I guess - and if I dont like it I dont have to play!

Hamlet
Treebeard

Post by Hamlet »

Somewhere between 160th and 170th I think. Despite the subs bench not really adding much (yet), I'm really enjoying this game overall.

The Saint
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Egg Cup Premier League Champion 2014-15

Post by The Saint »

I am in the top 500 and enjoying the game. Agree that they need to rethink the bench for next season to, at least, add an auto sub.

Dan Kennett
Kevin and Perry

Post by Dan Kennett »

Also in the top 500 and enjoying the game

I'm definitely not in favour of an auto-sub as that can be too much of a safety net. It puts more responsibility on managers to pick players that are guaranteed starters. Bizarrely I ended up using my 3 subs this week as Nosworthy, Yobo and Diarra were all out injured and I didn't have any subs left.

For me, areas that the Grauniad need to work on are:
1) their algorithm for price changes. far too manic and random for me. At this rate some managers are going to end up with teams worth £150m by the end of the season.
2) points scoring needs to be more equitable. Far too biased for defenders at the mo. last time I looked, of the top 50 scoring players, 36 were defenders :shock:

Giggs11
Grumpy Old Man
Location: But Gerrard effed it up,again!! Gerrard effed it up, again!!!

Post by Giggs11 »

top game me thinks. whether thats because i`m in the top 200 in my first try at online fantasy football, i dont know. :D

wish i`d picked zaki last week tho, thought he was injured :x

nigel1305
Grumpy Old Hand
FS Record: Never Ever Feel Inferior

Post by nigel1305 »

There is a Fiso Mini League that you can join

League name: http://www.FISO.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Password: FISO

Sadly there is no prize for the Top League....

darkspidey
Grumpy Old Man

Post by darkspidey »

It erratic but im moving up again! It does take for ever to load though and why cant we have more detail on our weekly points. :(

Hamlet
Treebeard

Post by Hamlet »

darkspidey wrote:It erratic but im moving up again! It does take for ever to load though and why cant we have more detail on our weekly points. :(
If you click on latest points you can see every single individual point scored by a member of your team... you can select previous weeks at the bottom of the page and do the same for them... by changing the tab at the bottom of the 'overall league' table you can also see your position for the latest week, and every week of the season so far...

What more information do you want?!

On topic, back into the top 100.

stanley smith
Red & Blue Braces

Post by stanley smith »

Spencer4 wrote:...I also find the bench pointless. Sorry, I'm not easily pleased :mrgreen:

Bench is needed to enable formation changes. I find the bench useful to provide cover for a player out for a week, but what it does do is make 5 subs/month way too many. I'd like to see them keep the bench but reduce transfers next season.

edmo33
FISOhead
FS Record: 7th Overall Sky Sports Euro2012, 15th Overall Sky Sports 2012/13, 77th overall TFF 12/13, 28th overall Irish Times 12/13

Post by edmo33 »

Currently 42nd overall, 2nd in Fiso League.

Very much enjoying this game, but 5 subs is possibly too many. Just need to try and do 'something different' now to continue to climb.

padmole
Dumbledore
FS Record: Various bits on footy / cricket and golf

Post by padmole »

5 isnt enough when you transfer Torres in with your last of the mth the day he gets injured.

I have been having trouble logging in as it keeps coming back to a screen asking who I support. Consequently lost intersst quickly and languish in around 1000th!

Could be a good / easy one to do well in with maintenance though.

Noted for next year!

stegg
Kevin and Perry

Post by stegg »

edmo33 wrote:Currently 42nd overall, 2nd in Fiso League.
Nice going edmo, that's me just below you... :)

Generally happy with how it's going but need to tweak the squad a bit next week.

edmo33
FISOhead
FS Record: 7th Overall Sky Sports Euro2012, 15th Overall Sky Sports 2012/13, 77th overall TFF 12/13, 28th overall Irish Times 12/13

Post by edmo33 »

Hi Stegg,

I see you are hot on my heels in cyki too.
This is probably the best start to a season I have had in fifteen years, these two games in particular.

i just wonder if there actually IS scope for doing something 'different' with this game. Ultimately your eleven must play, after having West Brom's Barnett scoring great points his unexplained absence a few weeks ago cost me dearly.

We just need to hunt down the non-fiso leaders now, hopefully their transfers are used up and a few (ten) players are out through injury :D

The Saint
Grumpy Old Man

Post by The Saint »

Dan Kennett wrote:
I'm definitely not in favour of an auto-sub as that can be too much of a safety net. It puts more responsibility on managers to pick players that are guaranteed starters.
Ok but then they need to get rid of the weekly team freeze. I am stuck with Nicky Butt for this midweek game after he picked up an injury at the weekend. What is the point of the bench if you can't utilise it for situations like this!

Spencer4
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: 2008/9 FPL 172nd, 2007/8 TFF 6th, Vid's Predictions winner 2014/5, Fiso TFF Hot shots champ 2015/6, murfs Egg chasers winner 2017 & 2024, winner PB's last man standing golf comp 2018, 2024 Fisodas champion

Post by Spencer4 »

Up to sixth now, what a crazy game this is, 99% luck, 1% skill, hence my position :lol:

The Saint
Grumpy Old Man

Post by The Saint »

Well played Spencer4. I am really struggling to get the right striker in. I've been rotating the big guns for, on paper, easy fixtures but continually have loads of points sitting on my bench and nothing on the pitch :(

14 clearances from Richard Dunne was nice yesterday though :)

Spencer4
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Spencer4 »

The Saint wrote:Well played Spencer4. I am really struggling to get the right striker in. I've been rotating the big guns for, on paper, easy fixtures but continually have loads of points sitting on my bench and nothing on the pitch :(

14 clearances from Richard Dunne was nice yesterday though :)
Do you not lose points for the og ?

The Saint
Grumpy Old Man

Post by The Saint »

No negative points for own goals in this one.

Carlos M Figueiredo
Treebeard
FS Record: YTM (Won WeekPrize 08/09, 19th 07/08);(Guardian FF 6th 08/09); LigaRecordPortugal(2nd 01/02);W.Cup3rd2006

Post by Carlos M Figueiredo »

Hi,

At the start of season it was a bit dificult to adapt Guardian FF rules.
Now i feel confortable with the scoring sistem.
19º class ..and my family also have good performances by now ( 9º , 20º )

Tactic : Michael Turner + M.Laursen + 9 :wink:

Not So Special One
Treebeard

Post by Not So Special One »

Creeping back toward the top 200. I'd do better if I keep didn't keep shooting myself in the foot by benching one of the defensive midfielders for a midfielder who's "hot." Unless he has a sensational week, like Ireland on 26/12, this is guaranteed to cost points. So I've resolved to play all 5 defenders and 2 defensive midfielders every week without fail, transferring out any who get injured, and micromanaging only the keeper, midfielders, and strikers.

To make things worse, as giggs10times reported in another thread, GFF did not credit Arsenal and Villa players with appearance and clean sheet points for the match on 26 December, costing me 3 points each for Barry and Denilson. I've reported this to the GFF HelpDesk. Probably won't help me much as everybody else has them in the starting XI too.

The bench does matter if there are quality players on it and I choose the right ones for the week. I started Anelka and got 5 points, but if I'd benched him for Zaki I would have made 13 points more. Who knew? Of course, if I'd started Van Persie instead, I'd have gotten only 1 point...

bfc

Post by bfc »

I'm not a fan of this game, despite being in the top 50 (33 at the moment I think). 5 transfers/month is way too much when one has a bench and only 1 team selection per week. I've used a lot of transfers to build my total budget - I currently have 12 million in reserve so basically don't have to consider player prices which is not how fantasy football should be. Strikers are overpriced even if they have been scoring more points in recent weeks.

stanley smith
Red & Blue Braces

Post by stanley smith »

sorry chaps, woken up with hangover, brain not working and I need to ask a stupid question:
Does FA cup count in this game?

Knulpuk
Dumbledore
FS Record: Ultra ultra consistent (see above)

Post by Knulpuk »

As you have a hangover

2. Only English Premier League 2008-9 games will count towards Guardian Fantasy Football 2008-9 points. Games taking place in the FA Cup, League Cup, European competitions or any other format will not count for scoring purposes.

stanley smith
Red & Blue Braces

Post by stanley smith »

cheers mate, that's one less thing I need to worry about this morning then

The Saint
Grumpy Old Man

Post by The Saint »

Remember there are midweek premier games though.

stanley smith
Red & Blue Braces

Post by stanley smith »

Yes cheers, hadn't forgotten that - this morning I started re-organising my team around players with 2 games (FA cup + midweek prem) :lol: (then luckily started to doubt if I was doing the right thing)

andye
Grumpy Old Man

Post by andye »

I'm doing OK in this one but just had a look at the top of the table and looks like we could be playing for second place ...

1 Set Your Goals Michael Shipley 3153
2 ladbroke groovers steve griffin 3045
3 Boidobra Dinora Antunes 3036
4 Dan's Dream Team Daniel 3029
5 wulfrun wanderers big bad wolf 3022
6 Swings in Roundabouts Neil Shaughnessy 3011
7 ooohhhh greens pies a train 3011
8 stegg Steve Legg 3009
9 Magic F.C. Jonny Roberts 3001
10 Inter Ur-Nan Rich Warren 2996

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Guardian Fantasy Football (Ceased)”